HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: Sinning Not #11122
10/30/04 07:57 PM
10/30/04 07:57 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Mike,

I tend to agree with Tom that the choice of words may be the problem here, therefore, as it is done at the beginning of many by-laws that I have read and worked on, it probably would be good to define each of those type of words you use and then go on from there.

Re: Sinning Not #11123
10/30/04 08:55 PM
10/30/04 08:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Maybe so. But I think it is obvious that most people on MSDAOL believe we are born again with our defective traits of character, and that they gradually die out, little by little, after years and years of sinning and repenting until we cease to sin. Some seem to think that only the 144,000 will achieve sinless perfection.

Others believe a defective trait of character isn't dead until we can no longer be tempted in that particular area. Some seem to feel every species of sin is a different and separate defect. For example, being tempted to be impatient with a slow driver is one defect, and being tempted to be impatient with a slow learner is a different defect.

This idea seems to suggest that impatience, or some other subtitle, must be crucified one defect at a time over the course of a lifetime, and that God is too kind to reveal, all at once, all of our defects under each category (i.e., impatience, pride, jealousy, anger, lust, etc). If each time we are tempted in a new way means we are discovering, for the first time, a new and unknown defective trait of character, then there would be no hope of ever overcoming as Jesus overcame - because there is no end to how many new ways Satan can tempt us.

I do not believe God labels every possible species of impatience separately. Impatience is impatience, no matter how many different ways we are tempted to be impatient, and when God gives us the victory over impatience it includes every old or new way Satan invents to tempt us to be impatient. The idea that we must overcome each species of impatience, one at a time, is one of the reasons why some people twist the victory verses, the perfection promises, to mean believers are born again morally defective.

I suspect that this difference is why some of us disagree on MSDAOL.

Re: Sinning Not #11124
10/31/04 02:12 AM
10/31/04 02:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Why not just say that when a person is justified by faith, he is brought into harmony with God and His law? As long as he doesn't resist God's grace, God will continue to make him more and more like Jesus.

Re: Sinning Not #11125
10/31/04 04:50 AM
10/31/04 04:50 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Because most people assume what you just said means we are born again legally sinless but morally defective, that becoming more and more like Jesus means becoming less and less defective. Which is far from the truth.

Re: Sinning Not #11126
10/31/04 04:16 AM
10/31/04 04:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You said what I wrote is "one and the same thing" with what you wrote, so what you're saying cannot be true, unless they disagree with what I wrote. I think most will agree with what I wrote, which disproves your statement (unless I'm wrong, and most people don't agree with what I wrote).

What I wrote has the advantage of being understandable.

Re: Sinning Not #11127
11/01/04 04:40 AM
11/01/04 04:40 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, the potential exists that some people will understand your way of wording it, but I suspect others will assume your words imply something very different than what you mean. Let's see how the new thread does that you started. I hope it accomplishes what I've been praying for.

Re: Sinning Not #11128
11/02/04 06:41 PM
11/02/04 06:41 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline OP
Blanchard, OK
Wow! This topic has seen a lot of activity during my absense.

I haven't read all the new comments yet, but I want to start by thanking Tom Ewall, Mrs Sarah Moss, Charlene Van Hook, and Mike Lowe for your comments.

Shortly after that, however, we seem to have strayed off-topic. Remember in my original post, I asked that we not discuss things such as:
* known sins vs unknown sins
* whether it's possible to sin while abiding with Christ
* whether there's a such thing as unknown defective character traits
* etc.

While worthwhile and important topics, these have been discussed abundantly in countless other threads, and can and should be continued there. I don't want this thread to simply be a rehash of other similiar threads.

The topic of this particular thread is very specific. It is about the implications of the idea of living without sinning anymore, or put another way, living a life of obedience to God.

Perhaps some of you have heard the same or similiar objections I mentioned in my original post when discussing with others about walking in obedience to God; I would like to hear your comments. How have you answered those objections in your own discussions? Have you been told that if we ceased to sin, then we'd be sinless and have no need of a Saviour and we'd make Him a liar? If so, how did you respond?

Perhaps you believe that living a life of complete obedience to the Father, if it were possible, would make you sinless and deserving of heaven. Perhaps this is why you believe it impossible to live a life of obedience. If so, I would like to hear from you also. Why do you believe so?

Thank you all for your comments, and for staying on topic.

Re: Sinning Not #11129
11/02/04 07:39 PM
11/02/04 07:39 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline OP
Blanchard, OK

1. you are without sin?

Yes, of course. Only sinless people can go and sin no more.

2. you are perfect?

Yes, of course. At least, morally.

3. you deserve or have earned salvation?

No, no, no.

4. you do not need salvation?

No, no, no.

quote: Mike Lowe

Thank you for your reply, Mike.

If a person lives the rest of his life without sinning and is therefore without sin as you say, then what does that person need salvation from? If you are without sin, then you don't need to be saved from it; just as if you are without cancer, you don't need treatment for cancer.

And how do you reconcile this belief with scripture, which says?

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1 John 1:8

Re: Sinning Not #11130
11/02/04 07:58 PM
11/02/04 07:58 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline OP
Blanchard, OK

Why is it that so many claim to be holy and sinless? ... ... I have never dared to claim any such a thing. ... ... You never have heard me say I am sinless.

quote: Tom Ewall

Mike said,
quote:
Jesus never claimed to holy and sinless - neither should we.
Well then, please explain why you've done exactly that:
quote:
1. you are without sin?

Yes, of course. Only sinless people can go and sin no more.

quote: John
Tom & John:

You misunderstand what Mike Lowe is saying and have missed the context. In Mike's comments which you have quoted, Mike is not claiming to be sinless.

If you would reread my original post, you'll see that Mike had copied or retyped text from my original post and was answering the questions I had posed concerning a hypothetical situation.

Re: Sinning Not #11131
11/02/04 08:46 PM
11/02/04 08:46 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline OP
Blanchard, OK

How can sins of ignorance misrepresent God's character? Sin is the stuff of choice and character. If the Spirit of God hasn't revealed our sins of ignorance, then we are not morally guilty of them, thus we cannot be guilty of misrepresenting the character of God.

quote: Mike Lowe
Mike, you are confusing a thing with being guilty of a thing.

Your argument above is saying, "Something does not actually happen unless the person doing that something realizes/understands what they are doing."

Is it truly your position that sin cannot and does not misrepresent God's character unless the person knows that it does?

I have to agree with Tom, that any and all sin, whether known or unknown, misrepresents God's character. Being accountable or guilty of such is a different matter.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!