HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 71 of 100 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111179
04/03/09 02:45 PM
04/03/09 02:45 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
Again - the point I am making is merely the obvious between direct translation vs paraphrasing in bias in a form that is classic eisegesis.

So if you assume it's obvious that translation from one language to another could introduce error, then it would follow that all versions could contain some error, and also some bias, due to who translated it.

I believe the above translation came from "Sons of God" and the translators knew who the "Sons of God" were. We know the "Sons of God" are someone else. Likewise, when we read things in our English Bibles, could we be biased and interpret words to mean what we want them to mean similar to how the translators above translated "Sons of God" to mean what they wanted them to mean?

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #111184
04/03/09 03:46 PM
04/03/09 03:46 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Something interesting I ran across:
Quote:
I read from a certain writer, "The old theology of Old Testament Scripture has been left a long way behind by the teachings of Jesus Christ. The ethics of the Old Testament fall far short of the holiness of the New." But it was He who gave to the New Testament its sacredness that spoke the lessons of the Old Testament. {13MR 267.2}

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: does God punish? [Re: asygo] #111203
04/03/09 09:05 PM
04/03/09 09:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The following is an excerpt from an A. T. Jones sermon in 1889 entitled "Our God is a Consuming Fire."

Sorry about the formatting. The underlined portion is my emphasis.

When I meet him today “in a flaming fire, “when I welcome
him today “a consuming fire” in me, shall I be afraid to meet him
in flaming fire in that day— No; I shall be accustomed to it; and
knowing what a blessed thing it is to become familiar with
meeting him as “a consuming fire,” knowing what a blessing
that has brought to me today, I shall be delighted to meet him on that
other day, when he shall be revealed from heaven in flaming fire.
“Our God is a consuming fire.” Bless the Lord! “Who may abide
the day of his coming? Who shall stand when he appeareth? for he
is like a refiner’s FIRE.” Good. Then when I meet him now, in
the consuming fire that he is, I meet him in a fire that is
refining, that purifies. “And he shall sit as a refiner
and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and
purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord
an offering in righteousness.” That is separation from sin; that
is purification from sin. And that sets us where we offer an
offering unto the Lord in righteousness: we become the servants
of righteousness unto holiness, that we may meet the Lord. So,
then, bless the Lord that he is a consuming fire,— that he is as a refiner’s fire.

Look again at that expression in Revelation: “His eyes were as a flame of fire.” In that day his eyes will rest upon each one of us, and he will look clear through us. When his eyes are as a flame of fire, and those eyes in that great day rest upon every one of us, and look clear through us, what will that look do for every one who is wrapped up, body and soul, in sin?— It will consume the sin and the sinner with it; because he would not be separated from the sin. And today, just now, those eyes are the same that they will be in that day. Today his eyes are as a flame of fire; and “all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.” Very good, then. As all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do, whether we will have to do with him or not, why not accept the fact, choose to have it so, and on our part open up everything to the eyes of him with whom we have to do? And having opened up the life thus to him, to the flaming fire of the glory of his shining eyes, what will that do?— Those eyes of living flame will look clear through us, and will consume away all the sin, and all the dross; and will refine us so that he shall see in us the image of himself.

It is written that we are to serve the Lord “as of sincerity.”
Sincere is genuine; it is true; it is as strained honey. Originally, it is honey strained, and strained again, over and over, until, holding up the honey to the light, it is found to be sine-cera,— “without wax,” no trace of cera to be seen floating in it. That is what he says you and I are to be as certainly as we are Christians. God cleanses us in the blood of Christ, and holds us up in the light of the Lord, and the world can see only the light. And so, “ye are the light of the world.” Here, again, is the word of the Lord: “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me.” Ps. 139:23, 24. That is the word given to us for today and for all time. Another word Our God is a Consuming Fire goes right along with it: “0 Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising...and art
acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.” Another
translation has it: “Thou has compassed me all around; and
holdest thine hand over me.” Verses 1-5. That is a fact. He has
compassed us all around, and his hand is over us. Whether we
accept it or not, is another matter; but that is the fact with every man in all this wide world. That is how it is that all things an naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Then when it is a fact that he has searched us, and known
us, and does search out and know us all the time, why not accept
it as a fact, and have the benefit of it? Why not present to him
the word, “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and
know my thoughts”? What for?— “And see if there be any wicked
way in me.” 0, that sets me before his face; for his glorious eyes of light to look upon me, and to shine through me, as the fire, searching out if there be any wicked way in me! And having
searched it out, and being a consuming fire, he consumes it all
away, and leads me in the way everlasting.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111204
04/03/09 10:59 PM
04/03/09 10:59 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
{DA 107.4}
“To sin, wherever found, “our God is a consuming fire.” Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin [safely]. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them [against His desire]. Jacob, after his night of wrestling with the Angel, exclaimed, “I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” Gen. 32: 30.

“Jacob had been guilty of a great sin in his conduct toward Esau; but he had repented. His transgression had been forgiven, and his sin purged; therefore he could endure the revelation of God's presence. But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed “with the Spirit of His mouth,” and destroyed “with the brightness of His coming.” 2 Thess. 2:8.

“The light of the glory of God, WHICH IMPARTS LIFE TO THE RIGHTEOUS, will slay the wicked”.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111210
04/04/09 03:07 AM
04/04/09 03:07 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
I clearly point to the "many more years" problem that you are simply choosing to "completely ignore" in your question. A key detail that solves your question before it even gets started... because (obviously) your question "needs many more years" to remove the weapon of swords from common use.

I was re-reading your elusive answer to my question as to whether the swords are literal in the EW quote I presented, to see if I could make any sense of it,

I offer my help "yet again" for any word or sentence in there that you find confusing.

Please point to the problem - and I will be happy to explain it.

Quote:
and by inference it appears that perhaps your view is that the swords were literal as of the time this was written. Is that correct?

The "time" you need to construct the puzzle that is just not working for you (as already stated above) is the time for "Swords" to go out of use. The problem with your trying to achieve that goal is that Ellen White already argued for a SOON coming of Christ to occur IN THE LIFE TIME of the people she was talking to. In fact she argues in the 1880's that it should have been BEFORE then!

Hint: No ABL flying around in the 1870's (as it turns out).

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #111212
04/04/09 03:11 AM
04/04/09 03:11 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Quote:
Again - the point I am making is merely the obvious between direct translation vs paraphrasing in bias in a form that is classic eisegesis.

So if you assume it's obvious that translation from one language to another could introduce error, then it would follow that all versions could contain some error, and also some bias, due to who translated it.

On the contrary. I pointed to the contrast between a strict Translation like NASB (or YLT take your pick) and a mere "paraphrase" like the Living Bible. So that you can get the idea of truck sized whole they try to open up with those paraphrases.

Quote:

I believe the above translation came from "Sons of God" and the translators knew who the "Sons of God" were. We know the "Sons of God" are someone else.

Indeed - TRANSLATION requires that the term "sons of God" be printed in english and then let the READERS "imagine" what that might mean. PARAPHRASING means that you "do the imagining for them according to your own wishes and bias".

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111215
04/04/09 03:44 AM
04/04/09 03:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
and by inference it appears that perhaps your view is that the swords were literal as of the time this was written. Is that correct?

The "time" you need to construct the puzzle that is just not working for you (as already stated above) is the time for "Swords" to go out of use. The problem with your trying to achieve that goal is that Ellen White already argued for a SOON coming of Christ to occur IN THE LIFE TIME of the people she was talking to. In fact she argues in the 1880's that it should have been BEFORE then!

Hint: No ABL flying around in the 1870's (as it turns out).

Why can't you speak in plain English? I asked you this question back on page 65, and still, 6 pages later, you haven't given a straight answer. You've ascribed all sorts of motive to me, when all I did was ask a simple question, and you *still* haven't answered.

Please, Bob, answer in language a 6 year old can understand. Were the swords in the quote literal? To make it easier for you to answer, please assume the quote is not speaking of some time way in the future, but within a few years of the quote. As early as the late 1850's Ellen White wrote that "Christ could have come 'ere this," so it's quite possible that this could have been the case (that what was prophesied by the quote was shortly to take place). So, given this assumption, were the swords literal?

Please start out your answer with the word "yes" or the word "no," and then you continue your explanation as you wish, but I still, after many of your attempts to answer this question, have no idea whether your answer is "yes" or "no."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111216
04/04/09 03:47 AM
04/04/09 03:47 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, teresa, the same quotes I've cited at least dozens of times. I found A. T. Jones interpretation very interesting. It seems very much in line with what I've been saying. I haven't found too much of Jones and Waggoner's writings on this particular subject, but what little I've found goes right in line with the thoughts we've been sharing. For example, Waggoner is very clear on the concept that death is the consequence of sin (which Ellen White could not have been clearer regarding than saying, "the inevitable result of sin is death").

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111219
04/04/09 04:24 AM
04/04/09 04:24 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
[quote=Tomand by inference it appears that perhaps your view is that the swords were literal as of the time this was written. Is that correct?

Bob

i could have sworn they were using guns in the civil war, not swords.

surely, i couldnt have misunderstood all these years?!

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111333
04/07/09 01:29 PM
04/07/09 01:29 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
On the contrary. I pointed to the contrast between a strict Translation like NASB (or YLT take your pick) and a mere "paraphrase" like the Living Bible. So that you can get the idea of truck sized whole they try to open up with those paraphrases.

It would be of interest of how you determine whether something is "strict" or something is "paraphrased".

Quote:

Indeed - TRANSLATION requires that the term "sons of God" be printed in english and then let the READERS "imagine" what that might mean. PARAPHRASING means that you "do the imagining for them according to your own wishes and bias".

in Christ,

Bob

But you do realize that "sons of God" is "imagined" as to what the original text means in English. And doesn't the KJV insert and otherwise provide "help" for the reader in understanding what the text means (and that's not meaning it's an incorrect meaning)?

Either way, if the paraphrasers are imagining what a text should be saying, could it be possible, I mean is there the possibility that when different people read a text, they do their own imagining? That is, could "accepting the text as it reads" result in different meanings to each who are doing the reading?

Page 71 of 100 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!