HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 73 of 100 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111621
04/11/09 05:54 PM
04/11/09 05:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Actually, where does Ellen describe them experiencing emotional agony? Here's what I've found:

"As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. . . Above the throne is revealed the cross; and like a panoramic view appear the scenes of Adam's temptation and fall, and the successive steps in the great plan of redemption. . . They vainly seek to hide from the divine majesty of His countenance, outshining the glory of the sun . . ."

This doesn't describe what you're saying about it.

T: You're saying you don't think emotional pain is involved in becoming conscious of all your sins, seeing where God was working in your life, where you rejected Him, and so forth? What about where Jesus said there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth?

Are you suggesting that the "weeping and gnashing of teeth" Jesus spoke about is symbolic of the emotional anguish the wicked will experience when Jesus looks at them and they become consciously aware of every sin they ever committed?

To answer your question, yes, I believe the wicked will suffer unimaginable emotional anguish during the Great White Throne judgment of their sins. But my question to you was - Do you know where it says so?

Ellen wrote:

Our salvation was wrought out by infinite suffering to the Son of God. His divine bosom received the anguish, the agony, the pain that the sinfulness of Adam brought upon the race. The heel of Christ was indeed bruised when His humanity suffered, and grief heavier than that which ever oppressed the beings He had created weighed down His soul as He was engaged in paying the vast debt which man owed to God. {HP 44.4}

It was the anguish of separation from His Father's favor that made Christ's sufferings so acute. As the agony of soul came upon Him, "His sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground" (Luke 22-44). His terrible anguish, caused by the thought that in this hour of need God had forsaken Him, portrays the anguish that the sinner will feel when, too late, he realizes that God's Spirit is withdrawn from him. {2MCP 464.4}

Quote:
M: Your answer surprises me. It seems to imply you do not see a correlation between 70 AD and the end of time.

PS - The second coming is not "the end of time".

T: I do see a correlation. Ellen White spells it out. The destruction of the wicked is like the destruction of Jerusalem in that God withdraws which results in the wickeds' reaping what they have sown. So there is a correlation; it's just that you're not focusing on the really essential elements.

M: I take it then you agree with me that certain elements do not apply, that is, they do not carry over.

T: If you mean non-essential things, like what you've been pointing out, yes, I agree.

If you consider the physical pain and suffering and torture Jesus endured at the hands of evil men as "non-essential", then, yes, that's what I mean. I don't see how, though, you can say something as significant as this can be dismissed as having no counterpart in the experience of the wicked at the end of time. In what sense, then, do you think Jesus' experience depicts the experience of the wicked at the end of time?

Quote:
M: She wrote, ". . . His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." But earlier you said this was referring to fire that burns them to ashes after they are dead.

T: No, I didn't say that. It's very unpleasant when you do this. You ask me a question, and I answer that question, and then you cast the answer to the question you asked as if it were answering some other question you didn't ask. Please go back and check what you actually asked me.

Also, you shouldn't have cast my response here as something I said, but as what it actually was, which was an answer to a question *you* asked. So you should say, "But earlier, when I asked blah, blah, blah, you answered, 'yada yada yada,'" and that would be accurate.

Apparently I misunderstood what you said. Sorry about that. But just now you didn't say what you did say. So, what do you think? When Ellen wrote, ". . . His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them", what do you think she meant?

Here's the context:

Quote:
Then the end will come. God will vindicate His law and deliver His people. Satan and all who have joined him in rebellion will be cut off. Sin and sinners will perish, root and branch, (Mal. 4:1),--Satan the root, and his followers the branches. The word will be fulfilled to the prince of evil, "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; . . . I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Then "the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be;" "they shall be as though they had not been." Ezek. 28:6-19; Ps. 37:10; Obadiah 16. {DA 763.4}

This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1}

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. {DA 764.2}

But not so when the great controversy shall be ended. Then, the plan of redemption having been completed, the character of God is revealed to all created intelligences. The precepts of His law are seen to be perfect and immutable. Then sin has made manifest its nature, Satan his character. Then the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love and establish His honor before a universe of beings who delight to do His will, and in whose heart is His law. {DA 764.3}

"Sin and sinners will perish, root and branch, (Mal. 4:1),--Satan the root, and his followers the branches." Do you think this source of fire is what will burn the wicked dead to ashes? Here's what it says in Malachi:

Malachi
4:1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

Elsewhere Ellen wrote:

"For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch." The unbelieving world will soon have something to think of besides their dress and appearance; and as their minds are torn from these things by distress and perplexity, they have nothing to turn to. They are not prisoners of hope, and therefore do not turn to the Stronghold. Their hearts will fail them with repining and fear. They have not made God their refuge, and He will not be their consolation. He will laugh at their calamity and mock when their fear cometh. {4T 633.1}

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire." "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and His fury upon all their armies: He hath utterly destroyed them, He hath delivered them to the slaughter." "Upon the wicked He shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." Isaiah 9:5; 34:2; Psalm 11:6, margin. Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31. They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1. Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #111629
04/11/09 06:50 PM
04/11/09 06:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Are you suggesting that the "weeping and gnashing of teeth" Jesus spoke about is symbolic of the emotional anguish the wicked will experience when Jesus looks at them and they become consciously aware of every sin they ever committed?

My understanding of the historical meaning of the term "gnashing of teeth" is that it involved regret. "Weeping" is self explanatory.

Quote:
To answer your question, yes, I believe the wicked will suffer unimaginable emotional anguish during the Great White Throne judgment of their sins. But my question to you was - Do you know where it says so?

One doesn't need to know where it says so to know this. There are all sorts of examples in Scripture of the impact of the revelation of sin on one's person.

Quote:
T: If you mean non-essential things, like what you've been pointing out, yes, I agree.

M:If you consider the physical pain and suffering and torture Jesus endured at the hands of evil men as "non-essential", then, yes, that's what I mean.

No, this isn't what you were talking about.

Quote:
I don't see how, though, you can say something as significant as this can be dismissed as having no counterpart in the experience of the wicked at the end of time. In what sense, then, do you think Jesus' experience depicts the experience of the wicked at the end of time?

You were talking about something else. Explain your meaning here more fully please. I might now disagree with it, depending on where you go with this.

Regarding the last part of your post, if you're asking me something, I don't know what it is.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111727
04/14/09 01:13 PM
04/14/09 01:13 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Bob, do you think the swords in the EW quote I presented are literal? Are you happy to take that text as it reads?

I have stated repeatedly that I am very happy with that statement and that the only complaint you have mustered on it is one that presumes Ellen White's "soon coming message" was seen by HER as "wrong" from the very start.

A more inconstitent position in your argument could hardly be imagined.

Innexplicably - you keep claiming not to understand that point.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111729
04/14/09 02:21 PM
04/14/09 02:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I have stated repeatedly that I am very happy with that statement

I didn't ask if you were happy with the statement. I asked if you think the swords are literal. You still haven't answered.

Quote:
and that the only complaint you have mustered on it is one that presumes Ellen White's "soon coming message" was seen by HER as "wrong" from the very start.

I didn't complain at all. I just asked a question, if you think the swords are literal.

Quote:
A more inconsistent position in your argument could hardly be imagined.

I didn't present an argument. I just asked a question, if you think the swords are literal.

Quote:
Inexplicably - you keep claiming not to understand that point.

I just asked a question. What I'm not understanding is why you won't answer my question. It's also odd that you go on about "complaints" and "arguments" when I haven't made any.

Do you think the swords are literal? Please answer the question "yes" or "no," and then provide an explanation, if you wish, for you answer.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111730
04/14/09 02:27 PM
04/14/09 02:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I noticed a typo, on my part.

Quote:
M:I don't see how, though, you can say something as significant as this can be dismissed as having no counterpart in the experience of the wicked at the end of time. In what sense, then, do you think Jesus' experience depicts the experience of the wicked at the end of time?

T:You were talking about something else. Explain your meaning here more fully please. I might now disagree with it, depending on where you go with this.

This should be "not" rather than "now." So I'm saying, "I might not disagree with it, depending on where you go with this."

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111772
04/15/09 02:46 AM
04/15/09 02:46 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

Do you think the swords are literal? Please answer the question "yes" or "no," and then provide an explanation, if you wish, for you answer.

It is somewhat entertaining to watch as you pretend not to get my oft repeated affirmations of the text - to be used ASIS without symbols - and I keep pointing to the fact that the ONLY reason you even IMAGINE that a symbol is in use is by your first eisegeting the idea that Ellen White considers her OWN "soon coming" message to be in error as she prints the report of the vision. (Hence my reference to ABL and UAVs not beign seen in her vision).

A more self-conflicted position on your part could hardly be imagined.

But what is more than a little humerous at this point - is why you keep pretending to miss this response.

What is up with that???

in Christ,

bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 04/15/09 02:48 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111774
04/15/09 03:03 AM
04/15/09 03:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You're saying the swords are literal? Is that right? (Yes or No would be nice).

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111776
04/15/09 04:48 AM
04/15/09 04:48 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
im not real clear on what youre saying, bob but it kind of looks like you are saying the swords are literal.

i think youre saying if Jesus had come around that time that swords would have been in use.

but i find that confusing because i believe swords were just a tad passe by then. guns and knives were more in use, even among the genteel i believe.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111778
04/15/09 12:46 PM
04/15/09 12:46 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
You're saying the swords are literal? Is that right? (Yes or No would be nice).

Indeed - since the start. Funny the way you pretend not to get this simple part of the answer. Also interesting that you consistently avoid the glaring flaw in your assupmtion to the contrary - which is your argument's need to presume that Ellen White considered her own teaching on the SOON coming of Christ to be in error the entire time she was giving it. (Hence no ABL, and no UAV in her end times dream)

Again - just stating the obvious but you seem to be making a habbit of ignoring it. Not sure how you think this helps your argument.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 04/15/09 12:47 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #111779
04/15/09 01:02 PM
04/15/09 01:02 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
im not real clear on what youre saying, bob but it kind of looks like you are saying the swords are literal.

i think youre saying if Jesus had come around that time that swords would have been in use.

but i find that confusing because i believe swords were just a tad passe by then. guns and knives were more in use, even among the genteel i believe.

Hint. American - Civil War 1861-1865. Yes - they were using swords. The problem was that their firearms were still primarily single-shot so a sword was crucial in close combat.

hmmm wonder what Ellen White was writing about ten years either side of that event... Can you guess?

Though I am sure we all enjoy this entertaining rabbit trail diversion from EW 294 and GC 672-673 -- suppose we get back on topic.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 04/15/09 01:25 PM.
Page 73 of 100 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!