HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Mountain Man] #111434
04/08/09 10:47 PM
04/08/09 10:47 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Claudia Thompson
That one ays though we know we are sinful we arent supposed to FOCUS on that.

So if we keep on focusing upon our deformities this isnt going to do us any good. We actually do in a way need to "feel" good about ourselves because we are relying upon the merits of Christ and we realize God sees Jesus when He looks at us, right?

it sounds like there are some who can only see an either/or and not a third path.

no one, as far as i know, is saying anything about "focusing on our deformities". to the contrary. as we look at Jesus, really look at Jesus, we become more and more conscious of our deformities. but we are always to keep our eyes and Jesus, study His life, meditate on it, and in so doing as well as appropriating the bible promises we become more and more like Him.

Teresaq, you seem to be implying that becoming more and more like Jesus means becoming less and less like Satan. The Bible says that those believers who are abiding in Jesus do not and cannot sin. If we take this promise and description at face value it means they do not and cannot sin while they are abiding in Jesus. If this is the case then it also means their imperfections and defects and weaknesses do not constitute a sin. IOW, they are not sinning simply because they have them. Having them and indulging them are two totally different realities. So as long as believers rein in their defects, weaknesses, and imperfections they are not guilty of sinning. Do you see what I'm getting at?

is it possible for a sunday keeper to be "abiding in Jesus"?
is he sinning by keeping sunday instead of the sabbath if he does not know about the sabbath?

is it possible for a heathen to be "abiding in Jesus" even tho he knows nothing of the bible or Jesus?

is it possible we have a very low estimate of what true sin is?

is it possible the Holy Spirit could be trying to convict us of sin but we do not see it as such? or do not see that we are guilty?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: teresaq] #111473
04/09/09 06:45 PM
04/09/09 06:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
is it possible for a sunday keeper to be "abiding in Jesus"?
is he sinning by keeping sunday instead of the sabbath if he does not know about the sabbath?

is it possible for a heathen to be "abiding in Jesus" even tho he knows nothing of the bible or Jesus?

Yes to all three questions. Are you assuming John had these people in mind when he wrote 1 John 3:6-9? Or, did he have fully informed people in mind?

is it possible we have a very low estimate of what true sin is?

is it possible the Holy Spirit could be trying to convict us of sin but we do not see it as such? or do not see that we are guilty?

Yes to both questions. But again are you assuming John had these people in mind when he wrote 1 John 3:6-9? Or, did he have fully informed people in mind?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Mountain Man] #111488
04/10/09 01:00 AM
04/10/09 01:00 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
i would rather not make any assumptions about what kind of people john had in mind, especially not in my faulty, fallen, human state. i also believe it best to not try to "make the scriptures fit together" for the same reason.

wouldnt you agree?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Mountain Man] #111502
04/10/09 02:38 AM
04/10/09 02:38 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Even in the New Earth we shall come far short of the glory of God. This isn't referring to sin, though; instead, it is referring to maturation. Eternity isn't long enough for us to exhaust our potential to become more like Jesus. Becoming more like Jesus has nothing to do with discovering unknown sins and overcoming them. On the contrary, it means maturing more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. You seem to be implying it means gradually outgrowing sinful habits.

I understand what you're saying about falling short of God's glory. Infinite glory is hard to equal.

However, that's not what the SL 81 quote is talking about. Let's take a closer look at the quote:
Quote:
But he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life delights in the law of God, and mourns only that he falls so far short of meeting its requirements. {SL 81.1}

Let's dissect it a bit.

subject: "he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life"
predicate: "falls so far short of meeting its requirements"
antecedent of "it" in the predicate: "law of God"

What does it mean? One who truly seeks holiness falls short of the requirements of God's law, and he knows it.

It's not talking about falling short of God's GLORY, but falling short of the REQUIREMENTS OF GOD'S LAW. And failing to meet the requirements of God's law is sin, isn't it? The SC quotes I posted earlier in this thread teaches the same thing.

So how does that fit in with 1Jn 3:9?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #111504
04/10/09 02:41 AM
04/10/09 02:41 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Here's the quote I was talking about:
Quote:
No deep-seated love for Jesus can dwell in the heart that does not realize its own sinfulness. The soul that is transformed by the grace of Christ will admire His divine character; but if we do not see our own moral deformity, it is unmistakable evidence that we have not had a view of the beauty and excellence of Christ. {SC 65.1}

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: teresaq] #111539
04/10/09 05:56 PM
04/10/09 05:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
i would rather not make any assumptions about what kind of people john had in mind, especially not in my faulty, fallen, human state. i also believe it best to not try to "make the scriptures fit together" for the same reason.

wouldnt you agree?

Assumptions are unnecessary. The word of God is too plain to misunderstand. Neither do we have to force passages to fit together. "Here a little and there a little." God is saying the same thing from Genesis to Revelation, from Acts of the Apostles to Welfare Ministry.

BTW, since you are unwilling to say John had a certain type of believer in mind to the exclusion of other types, is it safe to say it is possible he did?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Mountain Man] #111544
04/10/09 06:24 PM
04/10/09 06:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
M: Even in the New Earth we shall come far short of the glory of God. This isn't referring to sin, though; instead, it is referring to maturation. Eternity isn't long enough for us to exhaust our potential to become more like Jesus. Becoming more like Jesus has nothing to do with discovering unknown sins and overcoming them. On the contrary, it means maturing more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. You seem to be implying it means gradually outgrowing sinful habits.
A: I understand what you're saying about falling short of God's glory. Infinite glory is hard to equal.

Is it “hard” or impossible? Listen - Christ is our pattern, the perfect and holy example that has been given us to follow. We can never equal the Pattern, but we may imitate and resemble it according to our ability. {TMK 265.2}

Quote:
A: However, that's not what the SL 81 quote is talking about. Let's take a closer look at the quote - But he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life delights in the law of God, and mourns only that he falls so far short of meeting its requirements. {SL 81.1} Let's dissect it a bit.

subject: "he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life"
predicate: "falls so far short of meeting its requirements"
antecedent of "it" in the predicate: "law of God"

What does it mean? One who truly seeks holiness falls short of the requirements of God's law, and he knows it. It's not talking about falling short of God's GLORY, but falling short of the REQUIREMENTS OF GOD'S LAW. And failing to meet the requirements of God's law is sin, isn't it? The SC quotes I posted earlier in this thread teaches the same thing. So how does that fit in with 1Jn 3:9?

Here’s the context of the quote:

Those who have genuine love for God will manifest an earnest desire to know His will and to do it. Says the apostle John, whose epistles treat so fully upon love, "This is the love of God, that we keep his commandments" (1 John 5:3). The child who loves his parents will show that love by willing obedience; but the selfish, ungrateful child seeks to do as little as possible for his parents, while he at the same time desires to enjoy all the privileges granted to the obedient and faithful. The same difference is seen among those who profess to be children of God. Many who know that they are the objects of His love and care, and who desire to receive His blessing, take no delight in doing His will. They regard God's claims upon them as an unpleasant restraint, His commandments as a grievous yoke. But he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life delights in the law of God, and mourns only that he falls so far short of meeting its requirements. {SL 81.1}

In this passage Ellen is contrasting those who obey and disobey the law of God. Those who realize they fall far short of meeting the requirements of the law are not admitting that they are transgressing the law. Ellen is not saying they are sinning. Instead, falling short is a reference to their immaturity, the difference between babes and seasoned saints, the difference between moonlight and sunlight. Eternity isn’t long enough to exhaust our ability and potential to become more and more like Jesus. Amen!

Also, the law envisions the kind of obedience and maturity that Jesus demonstrated while here in the flesh. Compared to Jesus we fall far short, way short. However, the difference between the level of maturity Jesus reached and our current level of maturity is not measured in terms of sin and darkness but rather in terms of light and righteousness. Just as there are degrees of sins, so too, there are degrees of righteousness. “God does not regard all sins as of equal magnitude; there are degrees of guilt in His estimation . . . {SC 30.1}

Quote:
A: Here's the quote I was talking about - No deep-seated love for Jesus can dwell in the heart that does not realize its own sinfulness. The soul that is transformed by the grace of Christ will admire His divine character; but if we do not see our own moral deformity, it is unmistakable evidence that we have not had a view of the beauty and excellence of Christ. {SC 65.1}

Again, she isn’t saying they are committing sins. Realizing we have defects, weaknesses, and imperfections is not the same thing as saying we are guilty of indulging them. You seem to think it is. Why?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Mountain Man] #111578
04/11/09 01:34 AM
04/11/09 01:34 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
M: Even in the New Earth we shall come far short of the glory of God. This isn't referring to sin, though; instead, it is referring to maturation. Eternity isn't long enough for us to exhaust our potential to become more like Jesus. Becoming more like Jesus has nothing to do with discovering unknown sins and overcoming them. On the contrary, it means maturing more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. You seem to be implying it means gradually outgrowing sinful habits.
A: I understand what you're saying about falling short of God's glory. Infinite glory is hard to equal.

Is it “hard” or impossible?

I need to polish my skill in the art of understatement. Perhaps William can tutor me.

Anyway, yes, it is impossible.

In this passage Ellen is contrasting those who obey and disobey the law of God. Those who realize they fall far short of meeting the requirements of the law are not admitting that they are transgressing the law. Ellen is not saying they are sinning. Instead, falling short is a reference to their immaturity, the difference between babes and seasoned saints, the difference between moonlight and sunlight. Eternity isn’t long enough to exhaust our ability and potential to become more and more like Jesus. Amen!

For months now you have been defending your teaching that we are morally perfect when we are born again. But you also believe that we will spend eternity failing to meet the requirements of God's law. We surely do not see eye-to-eye on basic definitions of "moral perfection" and "God's law." Failure to meet the requirements of God's law is a sin, and is moral IMperfection.

Quote:
A: Here's the quote I was talking about - No deep-seated love for Jesus can dwell in the heart that does not realize its own sinfulness. The soul that is transformed by the grace of Christ will admire His divine character; but if we do not see our own moral deformity, it is unmistakable evidence that we have not had a view of the beauty and excellence of Christ. {SC 65.1}

Again, she isn’t saying they are committing sins. Realizing we have defects, weaknesses, and imperfections is not the same thing as saying we are guilty of indulging them. You seem to think it is. Why?

Some phrases from the quote:
its own sinfulness
moral deformity

While those should not necessarily be classified as "committing sins" they are sins nonetheless. (We non-postlaps believe that sin encompasses more than just what we do or do not commit.)

Don't you think the people described in the quote - the soul that is transformed by the grace of Christ - are born again? How do you reconcile the fact that they are morally deformed, and your belief that they are morally perfect?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #111585
04/11/09 04:35 AM
04/11/09 04:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
(We non-postlaps believe that sin encompasses more than just what we do or do not commit.)

The question of sin is a deep one. Certainly the context is important to take into account when considering inspired statements.

At any rate, here is something one well known postlap said regarding sin:

Quote:
Sin is in every fiber of our being by nature. We are born in sin, and our life is sin, so that sin can not be taken from us without taking our life. What I need is freedom from my own personal sin,--that sin which not only has been committed by me personally, but which dwells in the heart,--the sin which constitutes the whole of my life. (The Glad Tidings)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #111587
04/11/09 04:39 AM
04/11/09 04:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Yes to all three questions. Are you assuming John had these people in mind when he wrote 1 John 3:6-9? Or, did he have fully informed people in mind?

He had in mind people who believed in Christ. What he wrote had nothing at all to do with being "informed." John was talking about love (read the chapter for the context). John was saying that a person who believes in Christ will obey His commandment to love. Love is not dependent upon being "fully informed" but upon a transformation of heart.

It would be absurd to suggest that Sunday-keepers cannot be transformed by Christ and obey His commandment to love.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!