HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 72 of 100 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111405
04/08/09 05:08 PM
04/08/09 05:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
"Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon."

This speaks of the fire consuming the wicked, and doing so until there is no particle left. How does this happen without the wicked's being engulfed in flames?

Also, what sense does it make that they would feel heat in proportion to their sinfulness? That's not the way fire works. It burns all over the place. Would God funnel certain sinners to different places where the fire is hotter? Are their feet glued down so that can't run away somewhere else where the fire is cooler?

I suspect you are right in thinking this particular passage contains elements that are symbolic.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111406
04/08/09 05:20 PM
04/08/09 05:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: The passage cited doesn't have people killing one another, does it?

M: How do you interpret - "Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them."

T: I was thinking of Satan and his agents as Satan and his angelic confederates. I suppose "agents" could refer to people as well. But you don't believe the wicked kill each other, right? You think their killed by a carefully controlled fire.

Right, the fire that comes down from God out of heaven intervenes and prevents evil men and angels from killing each other. They will suffer physically according to their sinfulness. Note - the emotional agony they suffer happens before they turn in rage upon one another, before God rains down fire upon the earth. By the time He rains down fire they have finished suffering emotionally.

Quote:
M: Also, do you think the case of the Jews and the Romans in 70 AD involved people killing one another? And, do you think this case is indicative of what will happen to the wicked at the end of time? Or, do you think certain things do not apply?

T: By the end of time, do you mean before Christ's second coming? Or during the judgment? If you mean before Christ's second coming, I think they will kill each other, and what happened in Jerusalem does apply.

Your answer surprises me. It seems to imply you do not see a correlation between 70 AD and the end of time.

PS - The second coming is not "the end of time".

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111407
04/08/09 05:26 PM
04/08/09 05:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Regarding ashes, Malachi 4 would be the classic one:

1 “For behold, the day is coming,
Burning like an oven,
And all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble.
And the day which is coming shall burn them up,”
Says the LORD of hosts,

“ That will leave them neither root nor branch.
2 But to you who fear My name
The Sun of Righteousness shall arise
With healing in His wings;
And you shall go out
And grow fat like stall-fed calves.
3 You shall trample the wicked,
For they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet
On the day that I do this,”
Says the LORD of hosts.

Tom, you seem to implying that this passage describes God using literal fire to burn up the wicked after they are dead. Do you think the righteous will tread upon the ashes of the wicked? Or, do you think will recreate the earth and that they will not walk on the ashes on the wicked?

Ellen White seems to have viewed Malachi 4 differently than you do. She observed:

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31. They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1. Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #111445
04/09/09 01:49 AM
04/09/09 01:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Right, the fire that comes down from God out of heaven intervenes and prevents evil men and angels from killing each other. They will suffer physically according to their sinfulness. Note - the emotional agony they suffer happens before they turn in rage upon one another, before God rains down fire upon the earth. By the time He rains down fire they have finished suffering emotionally.

Do you think God inflicts the emotional pain upon the wicked arbitrarily like you think He does with the physical pain? If not, then the emotional pain must be a natural consequence of their sin, right? Given this is the case, why do you think God would require an arbitrary punishment on top of the non-arbitrary punishment the wicked already suffered? Doesn't that seem rather illogical?

Quote:
Your answer surprises me. It seems to imply you do not see a correlation between 70 AD and the end of time.

I do see a correlation. Ellen White spells it out. The destruction of the wicked is like the destruction of Jerusalem in that God withdraws which results in the wickeds' reaping what they have sown. So there is a correlation; it's just that you're not focusing on the really essential elements.

Quote:
Ellen White seems to have viewed Malachi 4 differently than you do.

I don't think so. She wrote:

Quote:
Then the end will come. God will vindicate His law and deliver His people. Satan and all who have joined him in rebellion will be cut off. Sin and sinners will perish, root and branch, (Mal. 4:1),--Satan the root, and his followers the branches. The word will be fulfilled to the prince of evil, "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; . . . I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Then "the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be;" "they shall be as though they had not been." Ezek. 28:6-19; Ps. 37:10; Obadiah 16.

This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

This is discussing Malachi 4, and is what I believe.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111472
04/09/09 06:35 PM
04/09/09 06:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:

Do you think God inflicts the emotional pain upon the wicked arbitrarily like you think He does with the physical pain? If not, then the emotional pain must be a natural consequence of their sin, right? Given this is the case, why do you think God would require an arbitrary punishment on top of the non-arbitrary punishment the wicked already suffered? Doesn't that seem rather illogical?

Actually, where does Ellen describe them experiencing emotional agony? Here's what I've found:

"As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. . . Above the throne is revealed the cross; and like a panoramic view appear the scenes of Adam's temptation and fall, and the successive steps in the great plan of redemption. . . They vainly seek to hide from the divine majesty of His countenance, outshining the glory of the sun . . ."

This doesn't describe what you're saying about it.

Quote:
Quote:

I do see a correlation. Ellen White spells it out. The destruction of the wicked is like the destruction of Jerusalem in that God withdraws which results in the wickeds' reaping what they have sown. So there is a correlation; it's just that you're not focusing on the really essential elements.

I take then you agree with me that certain elements do not apply, that is, they do not carry over.

Quote:
Quote:
Ellen White seems to have viewed Malachi 4 differently than you do.

I don't think so. She wrote:

Quote:
Then the end will come. God will vindicate His law and deliver His people. Satan and all who have joined him in rebellion will be cut off. Sin and sinners will perish, root and branch, (Mal. 4:1),--Satan the root, and his followers the branches. The word will be fulfilled to the prince of evil, "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; . . . I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Then "the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be;" "they shall be as though they had not been." Ezek. 28:6-19; Ps. 37:10; Obadiah 16.

This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

This is discussing Malachi 4, and is what I believe.

She wrote, ". . . His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." But earlier you said this was referring to fire that burns them to ashes after they are dead.

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #111541
04/10/09 06:04 PM
04/10/09 06:04 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
On the contrary. I pointed to the contrast between a strict Translation like NASB (or YLT take your pick) and a mere "paraphrase" like the Living Bible. So that you can get the idea of truck sized whole they try to open up with those paraphrases.

It would be of interest of how you determine whether something is "strict" or something is "paraphrased".

I am going with the obvious in that case. As in fact many independant evaluations of Bible translations have shown an obvious gradient from "pure paraphrase" to "strict translation" where at one end you have the story telling of the Living bible and on the other and you have things like the NASB and YLT.

No mystery there.

Originally Posted By: Bob

Indeed - TRANSLATION requires that the term "sons of God" be printed in english and then let the READERS "imagine" what that might mean. PARAPHRASING means that you "do the imagining for them according to your own wishes and bias".

Originally Posted By: Kland

But you do realize that "sons of God" is "imagined" as to what the original text means in English. And doesn't the KJV insert and otherwise provide "help" for the reader in understanding what the text means (and that's not meaning it's an incorrect meaning)?

Either way, if the paraphrasers are imagining what a text should be saying, could it be possible, I mean is there the possibility that when different people read a text, they do their own imagining? That is, could "accepting the text as it reads" result in different meanings to each who are doing the reading?

1. I do not see exegesis as the illusive thing you have supposed.

2. The Genesis 6 fact that "sons of God" is mentioned not "angels" is something almost all Bible commentators can admit to. Even RC Sproul points this out saying that the saints are called the "sons of God" in scripture numerous times.

[quote]
1 John 3
1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

But as if that was not enough - we also have this from Christ in Matt 22 that Angels are not even designed - made in ontological form - to participate in procreation or "family" relationships between themselves - much less across species chimera story telling.

Basically - I believe in keeping the simple things simple - instead of inserting a vague gap at every turn. Hopefully we can agree that this is the best model.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111543
04/10/09 06:18 PM
04/10/09 06:18 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
And taking that last post to the next step.

That means that the only reason to ADD to the text below "this is not clear! This is not Clear! We must interpret our way out of it" kinds of statements -- is that some are not happy about the text as it is.

=====================================================

Great Controversy - 673

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething 673

lake of fire. It is the time of the judgement and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished “according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit.

His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

EW 294

The Second Death

Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together.

I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but
also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!"
{EW 294.2}

Said the angel, "Satan is the root, his children are the branches. They are now consumed root and branch. They have died an everlasting death. They are never to have a resurrection, and God will have a clean universe." I then looked and saw the fire which had consumed the wicked, burning up the rubbish and purifying the earth. Again I looked and saw the earth purified. There was not a single sign of the curse. The broken, uneven surface of the earth now looked like a level, extensive plain.
==============================

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111551
04/10/09 06:53 PM
04/10/09 06:53 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
I am going with the obvious in that case.

Do you realize what you just said?

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #111566
04/10/09 11:21 PM
04/10/09 11:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Actually, where does Ellen describe them experiencing emotional agony? Here's what I've found:

"As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. . . Above the throne is revealed the cross; and like a panoramic view appear the scenes of Adam's temptation and fall, and the successive steps in the great plan of redemption. . . They vainly seek to hide from the divine majesty of His countenance, outshining the glory of the sun . . ."

This doesn't describe what you're saying about it.

You're saying you don't think emotional pain is involved in becoming conscious of all your sins, seeing where God was working in your life, where you rejected Him, and so forth? What about where Jesus said there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth?

Quote:
M:Your answer surprises me. It seems to imply you do not see a correlation between 70 AD and the end of time.

T:I do see a correlation. Ellen White spells it out. The destruction of the wicked is like the destruction of Jerusalem in that God withdraws which results in the wickeds' reaping what they have sown. So there is a correlation; it's just that you're not focusing on the really essential elements.

M:I take then you agree with me that certain elements do not apply, that is, they do not carry over.

If you mean non-essential things, like what you've been pointing out, yes, I agree.

Quote:
She wrote, ". . . His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." But earlier you said this was referring to fire that burns them to ashes after they are dead.

No, I didn't say that. It's very unpleasant when you do this. You ask me a question, and I answer that question, and then you cast the answer to the question you asked as if it were answering some other question you didn't ask.

Please go back and check what you actually asked me.

Also, you shouldn't have cast my response here as something I said, but as what it actually was, which was an answer to a question *you* asked. So you should say, "But earlier, when I asked blah, blah, blah, you answered, 'yada yada yada,'" and that would be accurate.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111567
04/10/09 11:44 PM
04/10/09 11:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Bob, do you think the swords in the EW quote I presented are literal? Are you happy to take that text as it reads?

Page 72 of 100 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!