HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 74 of 100 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111780
04/15/09 01:39 PM
04/15/09 01:39 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
Originally Posted By: Tom
You're saying the swords are literal? Is that right? (Yes or No would be nice).

Indeed - since the start. Funny the way you pretend not to get this simple part of the answer.

Tom has asked you many, many, many times to answer Yes or No. Why, if it is that important to him, you do not just answer it? 'What is up with that???' Why would it be unreasonable to ask you to explicitly clarify your position on that question? Especially considering your previous comments about taking a text as it reads, unless it is paraphrased, unless there is an obvious (to you) other meaning, unless.....etc., etc.
Though it appears you have now confirmed his question, why do you even yet resist giving a simple yes or no answer?

What is so hard about that?

I don't know about anyone else, but it causes me to consider, well, that you may not be straight forward. Which may be an understatement. I mean, why couldn't you just answer a "yes" or "no" several posts ago? Why, for someone who pretends that one should take 'texts as they read', do you intentionally create a vagueness in your answers, a 'weasel' clause so to say?

Why not just answer a simple "yes" or "no", unless you are saying texts may not read as what they say depending on how your opinion is at the time.

Otherwise, why not a yes or no?

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #111781
04/15/09 02:29 PM
04/15/09 02:29 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Likewise, maybe you have now admitted that one cannot accept a text as it reads. Maybe we are to understand from your vague and cryptic responses, or the failure to respond, that you are now in agreement that accepting a text as it reads, may mean different things to different people.

For instance: You said that some paraphrasers interpret the original text according to their ideas. If others can interpret original text, it would follow that we are interpreting interpreted text according to our ideas -- as you have demonstrated.

Would it be worthwhile to ask for a "yes or a no"?

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #111785
04/15/09 05:46 PM
04/15/09 05:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Isn't it likely the swords were chosen as the representation in the vision because they're mentioned in the Bible?

I'm not an expert in weaponry, but from my research it seems very clear that by the time Ellen White started writing, guns had far in a way surpassed swords as a common weapon. Thus it would be far more likely the wicked would be chasing the righteous armed with guns than swords.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111786
04/15/09 06:10 PM
04/15/09 06:10 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Isn't it likely the swords were chosen as the representation in the vision because they're mentioned in the Bible?

spears yes --

Swords -- actively used in the war of 1861-1865? why would she or her readers "imagine" that the reference to swords currently in use were 'imaginary'?

Since support for your argument does require a great deal of imagination -- let us try imagining a scenario that would help make your point. "Suppose" that Ellen White said "In the end of time their spears of unkind words and wordy denounciations fell like straw". Surely we could all agree that here is a simile in the use of spears (real weapons but not likely to be used) that really stands for NO WEAPON in the classic sense -- just long wordy denouncements of the saints.

But in your version of this what we have is REAL weapons standing in place for even MORE deadly and REAL weapons. Which would be like saying that the "fire and brimstone of Rev 20 is REALLY focused laser beams weapons directed at each one of the wicked but is being stated as FIRE and BRIMSTONE so that we can get the general idea".

As bad as that is for your argument - it is the analogy you seem to be reaching for at the moment, for reasons that to me continue to be innexplicable.

In Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 04/15/09 06:59 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111788
04/15/09 06:36 PM
04/15/09 06:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Swords were not widely used when she was writing. Guns were. People were much more likely to have guns than swords.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111790
04/15/09 07:00 PM
04/15/09 07:00 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Single shot guns would have been useless in close combat once the "one shot" was fired. (AS already pointed out in my prior posts). That is WHY they used swords in the civil war - for close combat fighting.

Just "continuing" to point out the obvious as your argument appears to have run aground.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 04/15/09 07:02 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #111791
04/15/09 07:03 PM
04/15/09 07:03 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Likewise, maybe you have now admitted that one cannot accept a text as it reads.

A better slogan for pure eisegesis could hardly be imagined.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #111792
04/15/09 07:09 PM
04/15/09 07:09 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
You're saying the swords are literal? Is that right? (Yes or No would be nice).

Indeed - since the start. Funny the way you pretend not to get this simple part of the answer.

Tom has asked you many, many, many times to answer Yes or No. Why, if it is that important to him, you do not just answer it?

1. I prefer the more detailed answer that fully exposes the flaw in his argument's assumption -- that Ellen White must have rejected her own "soon coming" teaching as she described the time of trouble. An impossibly self-conflicted position for his argument to recover from.

2. I then enjoy the response that says "we only understand simple yes" - so that I can repeat the point in number 1 above - showing where Tom's argument requires Ellen White to take a self-conflicted position and where he appears to have no answer.

Quote:

'What is up with that???'

Quite simply. It is that as much as Tom enjoys seeing me repeatedly post the details exposing the flaw in his argument -- I love obliging him on that point.

Quote:

Why would it be unreasonable to ask you to explicitly clarify your position on that question?

I have repeatedly asked for someone to show which words or sentences are confusing to you. So far - no one coming up with an answer.

If can identify some area of my answer that was confusing to you - please provide it.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 04/15/09 07:10 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111799
04/15/09 09:09 PM
04/15/09 09:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Single shot guns would have been useless in close combat once the "one shot" was fired. (AS already pointed out in my prior posts). That is WHY they used swords in the civil war - for close combat fighting.

But people didn't have swords, Bob. They had guns. In modern warfare, armies still use bayonets, but that's not a weapon people have in their homes. The fact that a weapon was used by the military is meaningless in terms of the vision, unless you think the wicked pursuing the righteous were in the military.

Quote:
k:Likewise, maybe you have now admitted that one cannot (always) accept a text as it reads.

Quote:
B:A better slogan for pure eisegesis could hardly be imagined.

Your methodology is not like any method of exegesis I'm familiar with. Where did you learn it? What do you think exegesis is? Were you trained to do exegesis somewhere?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111800
04/15/09 09:20 PM
04/15/09 09:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1. I prefer the more detailed answer

Why can't you have a more detailed answer that answers the question clearly, in a way that people can easily understand? Like an answer, repeatedly asked for, that starts "yes" or "no" with an explanation? You can see I wasn't the only one who had trouble with your answer. I first asked this 9 pages ago, and it took that long to get an answer to the question intelligible enough to where we can start discussing the content.

Quote:
that fully exposes the flaw in his argument's assumption

It wasn't an argument. It was a question.

Quote:
-- that Ellen White must have rejected her own "soon coming" teaching as she described the time of trouble.

How can you possibly get an argument that involves Ellen White's rejecting her own "soon coming" teaching from a question regarding whether the swords in a vision are symbolic or not? How would such an argument go? Could you construct it please?

Quote:
An impossibly self-conflicted position for his argument to recover from.

What position? It's a question I asked. I didn't state a position. If you wish to infer a position, go head and state it. Like this:

"I perceive from your question that you appear to be inferring BLAH, BLAH, BLAH" and then present arguments as to why you think BLAH, BLAH, BLAH is an incorrect inference. But the way you're going about communicating is extraordinarily difficult to follow. If you disagree with me on this, ask anyone else taking part in this thread.

It's fine to have a differing opinion, but can't it be expressed in a way that's pleasant and easy to follow?

Quote:
Quite simply. It is that as much as Tom enjoys seeing me repeatedly post the details exposing the flaw in his argument -- I love obliging him on that point.

What argument?!? Please post some argument I've made that you're rebutting. Really, it's impossible to make sense of what you're saying when you infer some argument that's not been stated, either by me, or by you (stating what you think my argument is).

Quote:
I have repeatedly asked for someone to show which words or sentences are confusing to you. So far - no one coming up with an answer.

If can identify some area of my answer that was confusing to you - please provide it.

ALL of the words are confusing. If you really wish to be clear, you've been given suggestions.

1.Start with an answer "Yes" or "No," and present whatever explanations you wish to give.
2.If you think you're rebutting some argument, state what the argument is that you are rebutting.
3.Also, before stating said argument, it would be good to state why you are inferring the given argument, given its not an argument explicitly stated by someone which can be posted (if so, that's the best thing; just quote the argument, and then offer your rebuttal).

Page 74 of 100 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!