HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 75 of 100 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111811
04/16/09 01:08 AM
04/16/09 01:08 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

1) I fully agree that Bobryan has been providing answers which are more confusing than anything else. Good advice for all of us on how to properly carry on a conversation in which we are differing on some point.

2) I don't like the term "exegesis." It's not that my vocabulary is limited, it is just that the word, as I often hear it used, reeks of Catholicism in which only the priests are qualified to interpret the Bible. We Adventists have admired terms like "exegesis", "eisegesis" and "hermeneutics" for long enough. It's time to lay such words in the grave, and begin to think as we should that the scriptures are available, and even understandable, by all. It's not a "big boys' club" where only the elite and educated are entitled to proper consideration of their Biblical understandings. We should be able to communicate in such a way that children might also understand. In fact, guess what? Ellen White, for all her theological points, understandings, and verbosity never once uses any of these words.

3) I don't think most Adventists, who supposedly use proper "exegesis," know what they are doing to God's Word by it. Many people set limitations on God and His Word through their own narrow conceptions of how such must be interpreted. Let the Holy Spirit guide us into truth instead of man-made methodologies.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111812
04/16/09 03:43 AM
04/16/09 03:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Researching further, it turns out that the common civil war soldier do NOT use swords. They were used by cavalry and officers. So even using the rather absurd guideline of military weapons during the civil war, it *still* would be more to be expected that the wicked would chase the righteous with guns than swords.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111818
04/16/09 12:54 PM
04/16/09 12:54 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Quote:

Quote:
I have repeatedly asked for someone to show which words or sentences are confusing to you. So far - no one coming up with an answer.

If can identify some area of my answer that was confusing to you - please provide it.

Quote:

ALL of the words are confusing. If you really wish to be clear, you've been given suggestions.

The word "I" refers to "me".

"Have" is a reference to the past

"repeatedly" means that I have explained this over and over again.

"asked" - an interrogative.

"for someone" that would be you

"to show" as in give an actual example of a word or sentence that you don't actually understand.

Instead of pretending that "all the words are confusing".

Hope that helps.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111819
04/16/09 12:56 PM
04/16/09 12:56 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Researching further, it turns out that the common civil war soldier do NOT use swords. They were used by cavalry and officers. So even using the rather absurd guideline of military weapons during the civil war, it *still* would be more to be expected that the wicked would chase the righteous with guns than swords.

Feel free to "Expect" and "imagine" all you want.

Swords were used extensively in combat during the civil war. Actual weapons actually used in real war in the mid 1800's.

Spears on the other hand - were not in use. Did you mean to imagine "spears"??

The point remains.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 04/16/09 12:57 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111821
04/16/09 01:01 PM
04/16/09 01:01 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
The innexplicable side track of arguing "that because not every soldier in the civil war used a sword" we are therefore justified in the "wrench and bend of the text of GC 672 and EW 294 text to my no-fire preference" - is transparently flawed and "reaching".

Which means that the only actual reason to ADD to the text below "this is not clear! This is not Clear! We must interpret our way out of it" -- is that some are not happy about the text as it is.

=====================================================

Great Controversy - 673

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething 673

lake of fire. It is the time of the judgement and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished “according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit.

His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

EW 294

The Second Death

Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together.

I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but
also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!"
{EW 294.2}

Said the angel, "Satan is the root, his children are the branches. They are now consumed root and branch. They have died an everlasting death. They are never to have a resurrection, and God will have a clean universe." I then looked and saw the fire which had consumed the wicked, burning up the rubbish and purifying the earth. Again I looked and saw the earth purified. There was not a single sign of the curse. The broken, uneven surface of the earth now looked like a level, extensive plain.
==============================

in Christ,

Bob [/quote]

Re: does God punish? [Re: Green Cochoa] #111822
04/16/09 01:04 PM
04/16/09 01:04 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

2) I don't like the term "exegesis." It's not that my vocabulary is limited, it is just that the word, as I often hear it used, reeks of Catholicism

I have to say that when I read stuff like that -- I am truly grateful that some people do not find their way to places like the "baptist board" there to post "as if" their "exegesis is just for Catholics" idea is something Adventists actually teach.

I shudder to think of that ever happening!!

But it is very helpful in creating praise for what God is doing in preventing such a thing! wink

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Green Cochoa] #111824
04/16/09 01:23 PM
04/16/09 01:23 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
2) I don't like the term "exegesis." It's not that my vocabulary is limited, it is just that the word, as I often hear it used, reeks of Catholicism in which only the priests are qualified to interpret the Bible.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Catholics say that all Protestants engage in eisegesis, because the Bible can be correctly understood only through the lens of Holy Tradition as handed down by the institutional Church.

Tradition.
Their own ideas.
Introducing their own ideas into the text.
And then saying others are doing it, but not them.

Why does this strike me funny considering recent posts?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #111827
04/16/09 02:48 PM
04/16/09 02:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
MM, I noticed a typo, on my part.

Quote:
M:I don't see how, though, you can say something as significant as this can be dismissed as having no counterpart in the experience of the wicked at the end of time. In what sense, then, do you think Jesus' experience depicts the experience of the wicked at the end of time?

T:You were talking about something else. Explain your meaning here more fully please. I might now disagree with it, depending on where you go with this.

This should be "not" rather than "now." So I'm saying, "I might not disagree with it, depending on where you go with this."

Consider Jesus' experience drinking the cup of woe and trembling from Gethsemane to Golgotha. Off all the things that happened which ones do not depict what the wicked will feel and experience at the end of time?

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #111848
04/16/09 06:31 PM
04/16/09 06:31 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: kland

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Catholics say that all Protestants engage in eisegesis, because the Bible can be correctly understood only through the lens of Holy Tradition as handed down by the institutional Church.

Tradition.
Their own ideas.
Introducing their own ideas into the text.
And then saying others are doing it, but not them.

Why does this strike me funny considering recent posts?

Indeed - it is kind of like saying "I don't like the idea of Bible doctrine because Catholics say that Protestants have bad Bible doctrine".

Eisegesis - bad
Exegesis - good.

It pays in this case to look up the definition for that concept. Bible believing protestants generally find it helpful.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #111853
04/16/09 07:51 PM
04/16/09 07:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Instead of pretending that "all the words are confusing".

The sarcasm isn't helpful at all.

Regarding "pretending," I'm not pretending. All your recent posts on the question of the swords were very difficult to understand. It seems that everyone on this forum is in agreement regarding this (excluding yourself). Given everyone sees you as being unclear, it doesn't make much sense to assert you're being clear, does it?

The reason all of the words are confusing you don't give any context upon which one could understand your words.

What's the following talking about?

Quote:
The procedure is actually quite simple. First, you arrange things into different groups. Of course, one pile may be sufficient depending on how much there is to do. If you have to go somewhere else due to lack of facilities, that is the next step; otherwise, you are pretty well set. It is important not to overdo things. That is, it is better to do too few things at once than too many. In the short run, this may not seem important, but complications can arise. A mistake can be expensive as well. At first, the whole procedure will seem complicated. Soon however, it will become just another facet of life. It is difficult to foresee any end to the necessity for this task in the immediate future, but then one never can tell. After the procedure is completed, one arranges the materials into different groups again. Then they can be put into their appropriate places. Eventually, they will be used once more and the whole cycle will then have to be repeated. However, this is part of life.

If you don't the context is washing clothes, you're likely to find all the words confusing.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 75 of 100 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!