HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
Re: Justification #11179
11/16/04 04:47 AM
11/16/04 04:47 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Tom, if life comes from God, then how can death take it?
"God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life." (DA 764)

quote:
If only God can give life, then only God take it.
God has given us free will, so we can take life.

quote:
Death is an enemy, and the last enemy to be destroyed in the lake of fire is death and hell.
Yes.

quote:
If death is the natural consequence of sin, then why don't we die the moment we sin?
Good question! Because of the grace of God.

"To the death of Christ we owe even this earthly life." "Never one, saint or sinner, eats his daily food, but he is nourished by the body and the blood of Christ." (DA 660)

"Man broke God's law, and through the Redeemer new and fresh promises were made on a different basis. All blessings must come through a Mediator. Now every member of the human family is given wholly into the hands of Christ, and whatever we possess--whether it is the gift of money, of houses, of lands, of reasoning powers, of physical strength, of intellectual talents--in this present life, and the blessings of the future life, are placed in our possession as God's treasures to be faithfully expended for the benefit of man. Every gift is stamped with the cross and bears the image and superscription of Jesus Christ. All things come of God. From the smallest benefits up to the largest blessing, all flow through the one Channel--a superhuman mediation sprinkled with the blood that is of value beyond estimate because it was the life of God in His Son." (FW 22)

quote:
Why did God have to bar access to the tree of life?
He didn't want to perpetuate sin. For the same reason He did not prohibit meat eating after the flood.

quote:
If God is able to circumvent the rule of sin and death, then how can you say death is the natural consequence of sin?
God can circumvent the rule of gravity and falling, but that doesn't mean the natural consequence of gravity isn't falling.

quote:
If this were true, then the reason we die is because God 'arbitrarily' withholds life saving measures.
"Christ says, 'All they that hate Me love death.' Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice." (DA 764)

quote:
I do not believe our first or second deaths are arbitrary. Our first death is the natural consequence of not eating the fruit of the tree of life. Again, not arbitrary, but by the decree of God. He placed an angel in the Garden of Eden to prevent us from gaining access to the tree of life, as a result, we gradually die. We sleep.
The first death is a conseqence of Adam's sin. "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:" (Romans 5:12).

The second death is a consequence of our own choice. "The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." (DA 764)

quote:
But then God resurrects us, and we are alive again. Why? If death is the natural result of sin, why bring us back to life?

This is an excellent question, and one I've thought a great deal about. Without going into specifics, which would merit a thread of its own, I'll answer it simply by saying that the reasons for the ressurection of the wicked must be in harmony with God's character as it is revealed in Jesus Christ. If you want to start a new thread, I'll be happy to discuss this question in detail.

quote:
We stand in judgment before the Great White throne, admit our guilt, declare God’s justice, and then we are burned alive in the lake of fire, the result of God calling fire down from heaven above and from beneath the earth.

"This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is 'alienated from the life of God.' Christ says, 'All they that hate Me love death.' Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." (DA 764)

Your description does not appear to me to be in harmony with what EGW says here. It points out that the second death is:
1) Not an arbitrary act of power from God (your description seems to be just this)
2) The rejectors of mercy reap that which they have sown (this implies cause and effect)
3) Death is the result of separating oneself from God, the fountain of life.
4) The presence of God is a consuming fire to the wicked.
5) The glory of God destroys the wicked.

quote:
We, that is, mankind, don’t die a natural death, because each person burns up according to their sinfulness. There is nothing natural about it. Neither is there anything arbitrary about it. Our death in the lake of fire is calculated to serve a purpose, and that purpose is justice. It is punishment. Yes, punishment. The wrath of God is love.
Again, your description appears to me to be out of harmony with what DA 764 says.

Re: Justification #11180
11/16/04 11:20 AM
11/16/04 11:20 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
God created life; he too created death, nothing under the sun which is not his creation, even life and death.

How can Tom Ewall believe that death is not God creation?? Even good and evil is God creation.

Men has just made a choice, to live the evil way or to live the good way.

Once they were created without this knowledge, the knowledge of good and evil, just simply living and doing things because they were created in perfection, holiness and the love of God ruled their heart. But due to their free will choice, they choose to eat the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil in order to have wisdom as God, knowing good and evil. And once they knew, the choice to live the good way or the evil way is theirs, but God wants all men to live the good way in order they might live.

Killing men is against God’s love, but he must do it in order to abolish sin and sinners forever from his universe, otherwise sin and sinners would live forever side by side with holiness and righteousness. The wages of sin is death and the executioner of death is God.

First death we inherit from Adam and Eve who were sentenced to death due to their sin, they deserve to die for it is their sins, but not us. But the second death is the wages of sin, those who live in sin and died in sin would die the second death as the wage of his own sin in spite Christ had saved him trough his redemption work.

In Hs love

James S

Re: Justification #11181
11/17/04 04:30 AM
11/17/04 04:30 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
quote:
Originally posted by James Saptenno:
God created life; he too created death, nothing under the sun which is not his creation, even life and death.

How can Tom Ewall believe that death is not God creation?? Even good and evil is God creation.

What is this concept? God "CREATED EVIL?"
-I DON'T THINK SO.
maybe Satan would like us to think that God is the source of evil???

Re: Justification #11182
11/16/04 05:29 PM
11/16/04 05:29 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi James,
Daniel has a very valid point as well as a concern. God is love, so he did not create evil.
GOd Bless,
Will

Re: Justification #11183
11/16/04 06:57 PM
11/16/04 06:57 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
God doesn't kill sinners. They kill themselves by separating themselves from God. "God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life." (DA 764)

Re: Justification #11184
11/16/04 08:06 PM
11/16/04 08:06 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I have to disagree with youthere Tom. God will infact kill sinners.
The flood, the israelites who made a golden calf, and also the army of 185 thousand soldiers.
Jesus said those who are not with me are against me, and that will result in the opposing force losing.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Justification #11185
11/16/04 08:17 PM
11/16/04 08:17 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The punishment and killing aspect seems to be taking over this topic, therefore, those of you who want to continue to discuss the punishment aspect, then I suggest a new topic be started.

Re: Justification #11186
11/19/04 04:43 AM
11/19/04 04:43 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
I apologize for diverting this thread to another subject. It is a good discussion, but I mentioned it only as a side line which, as Daryl suggested, should have taken off on another thread.

Meanwhile:

In relation to my previous post, I was asked, "where the law of God fits in, and how it relates to death and punishment" and "can you show how it [what I suggested about penalty] relates to the topic of this thread?"

The topic of this thread is justification which is usually thought of as one-third the plan God provided for our salvation. The plan is usually presented in a ditty like this:

Justification: Saved from the penalty of sin,
Sanctification: Saved from the power of sin, and
Glorification: Saved from the presence of sin.

The penalty of sin is seen as a one-time act (the cross) at which God paid the penalty for and forgave all sin. When we accept that forgiveness, we are henceforth saved. God then gives us the power to overcome all sin in our lives. This will probably take a lifetime and then some to accomplish. Finally, at death or at Jesus' second coming, He removes us from the very presence of sin.

The problem that bothers me is that word "penalty." There are penalties connected with laws that come from legislatures, judges, parents, and other authority figures, but except in extreme situations, that penalty is not death. But I believe God's laws are natural laws such as those of gravity, momentum, inertia, and electromagnetism. They are not the fickle, temporary, changeable, laws that come from legislatures. In His proclamation on Sinai, I believe God did us a favor by revealing a few of the natural laws that would have taken a long time for us to discover. As we learn to cooperate with the Sinai laws as we learn to cooperate with gravitational fields (don't jump from that high up), inertial laws (don't drive around a corner so fast), electric fields (don't stick your finger in the light socket), etc., our lives will be much safer. In fact, with God's guidance we can learn to live forever. On the other hand, ignoring natural principles can be dangerous, even deadly (that's where ALL death comes from). Not because of anything God does, but because we've been careless.

RL

Re: Justification #11187
11/19/04 07:41 PM
11/19/04 07:41 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I used the word "penalty" in the sense of natural consequence, as I explained. I used the word because it's often used. I agree that it can give the wrong idea. I certainly don't think that God arbitrarly punishes people, which I think I've made clear.

In the very first post I discussed both the "penalty" and "power" aspects of salvation. I attempted to do so without using theological terminology. I would be interested in your comments of it.

Re: Justification #11188
11/20/04 03:35 AM
11/20/04 03:35 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
Tom,

When you stated "I used the word "penalty" in the sense of natural consequence," I believe you put your finger on the main problem that causes misunderstanding in our discussions. Almost every "buzz word" we use in our theology has at least two and sometimes many different usages. When I use a word in one sense but you are thinking of a different meaning of that word, it's difficult for us to understand each other. One time when I was discussing the gospel, for instance, a friend of mine asked "which gospel?" He went on to say "the gospel according to Desmond Ford is ..." and proceeded to give a short synopsis of Ford's concepts. He continued by naming at least a dozen prominent Adventist theologians and outlined each of their concepts of the gospel. And all were different. As I say, most of our theological buzz words have similar problems. So it's not surprising that the word "punishment" would have several usages. Most non-scientists have no concept of "natural law" and the difference between it and the legislated laws with we are all familiar. So theologians would assume that the natural laws, including in particular the laws of God, are legislated laws generated by God. In my posts, I was trying to differentiate between the results of disobeying a legislated law and ignoring a natural law. Even the translators of I John 3:4 in KJV seem to have missed that distinction. Maybe if I used the word correction or reproof or discipline instead of punishment for disobedience to a legislated law, my meaning would have been clearer.

In any event, you seem to be echoing thoughts similar to what I was trying to express. In that first post, I like the way you explained the results of sinning and the power play that a sinful life develops in us. You also made an interesting statement that resonates with me. You said, "Jesus in prayer to His Father said that knowing God is eternal life. He said He finished His work by glorifying God and magnifying His name. This is another way of saying that Jesus made God's character known. He did this by healing others and proclaiming the Good News about God." This presents a different paradigm of salvation than that which we usually hear. It puts the emphasis on helping others and glorifying God rather than persuading people to accept some doctrinal principles. Particularly those principles which make God out to be some kind of tyrant. I appreciate your post.

RL

Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!