HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19
Re: Justification #11209
11/30/04 09:37 PM
11/30/04 09:37 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mike, she wrote what she saw in vision. Later on she explained what she saw meant. Symbolic texts should by interpreted in the light of non-symbolic ones, not the other way around.

In addition, we have the whole of Scripture, and especially the life of Christ, which reveals to us the character of God. How God treats the wicked must be in harmony with the revelation God gives of Himself in Christ.

Re: Justification #11210
12/01/04 02:31 AM
12/01/04 02:31 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
... and in the OT, where Jesus executed hundreds and thousands of people for resisting His will, His way, and His chosen people. Yes, executing people is a strange act for a loving God, but the wrath of God is love. Just because we cannot relate to it or comprehend it, doesn't give us the right to twist the truth about it. What Sister White saw in EW, regarding hell fire, was not symbolic.

Re: Justification #11211
12/01/04 06:47 AM
12/01/04 06:47 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm not sure why this thread is continue to deal with the wrath of God when Daniel specifically started a new thread to deal with that. Well as long as this is going on in two fronts, I'll post what the OT has to say about God's wrath in a moment, but would like to ask the question what makes you so sure the fire in Revelation is literal? How do you reconcile that with DA 764 which points out that God is the consuming fire and it is His glory which destroys the wicked, and that it is not an arbitrary act of power of God?

OT texts on wrath:

"Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?
And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods." (Deut 31:17, 18)

"They come to fight with the Chaldeans, but it is to fill them with the dead bodies of men, whom I have slain in mine anger and in my fury, and for all whose wickedness I have hid my face from this city.
." (Jer. 33:5)

"For our fathers have trespassed, and done that which was evil in the eyes of the LORD our God, and have forsaken him, and have turned away their faces from the habitation of the LORD, and turned their backs.
Also they have shut up the doors of the porch, and put out the lamps, and have not burned incense nor offered burnt offerings in the holy place unto the God of Israel.
Wherefore the wrath of the LORD was upon Judah and Jerusalem, and he hath delivered them to trouble, to astonishment, and to hissing, as ye see with your eyes." (2 Chron 29: 6, 8)

"And they caused their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire, and used divination and enchantments, and sold themselves to do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.
Therefore the LORD was very angry with Israel, and removed them out of his sight: there was none left but the tribe of Judah only.
Also Judah kept not the commandments of the LORD their God, but walked in the statutes of Israel which they made.
And the LORD rejected all the seed of Israel, and afflicted them, and delivered them into the hand of spoilers, until he had cast them out of his sight." (2 King 17:17-20)

"Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation." (Ps. 27:9)

"How long, LORD? wilt thou hide thyself for ever? shall thy wrath burn like fire?" (Ps. 89:46)

"Hear me speedily, O LORD: my spirit faileth: hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit." (Ps. 143:7)

"Though they bring up their children, yet will I bereave them, that there shall not be a man left: yea, woe also to them when I depart from them!" (Hosea 9:12)

"The LORD was as an enemy: he hath swallowed up Israel, he hath swallowed up all her palaces: he hath destroyed his strong holds, and hath increased in the daughter of Judah mourning and lamentation.
And he hath violently taken away his tabernacle, as if it were of a garden: he hath destroyed his places of the assembly: the LORD hath caused the solemn feasts and sabbaths to be forgotten in Zion, and hath despised in the indignation (wrath JB) of his anger the king and the priest.
The LORD hath cast off his altar, he hath abhorred his sanctuary, he hath given up into the hand of the enemy the walls of her palaces; they have made a noise in the house of the LORD, as in the day of a solemn feast." (Lam. 2:5-7)

Re: Justification #11212
12/01/04 07:05 AM
12/01/04 07:05 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
Mike

Two details bother me in what you say. You say: "maybe the word ‘inevitable' is better than the word ‘existence.'" but to me that is backward. There is only one reason to believe that sin is inevitable which you introduced in a later statement where you say "But by virtue of the fact He knew in advance that they would sin and die, ..." How could God "know" they would sin and die? There is no Biblical evidence that God knows anything in advance except that which He Himself planned and/or caused to happen. Even then some of the things He prophecied never happened (Nineveh was NOT destroyed in 40 days; Ezekiel 40-48 never happened nor ever will; God did NOT return to heaven as He said He would in Exodus 32:33-35 and 33; shall I go on?). Your concept that God knew in advance that sin was inevitable is apparently based on the concept that God knows the intimate details of the future. But that concept makes a mockery of "free choice."

It should be obvious that if it can be known by any manner or means whatever what I am going to do in the future, then I have no choice in the matter. If God actually gave humans free choice or free will, then by definition, God cannot know the future in that detail. He only knows what choices He has made.

I admit, if God knew which being or which world was going to rebel against Him and He made that being or world anyhow, then God must be responsible for sin as you suggested. But you may notice I would use your argument in reverse to prove that God cannot know all of the future which is another, but related subject.

Maybe it's time to take Ellen White seriously when she says:

"There is no excuse for anyone in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error." R & H, Dec 20, 1892.

RL
code:

Re: Justification #11213
12/02/04 04:52 AM
12/02/04 04:52 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Boblee, do you see a contrast or a contradiction between the following quotes?

"I admit, if God knew which being or which world was going to rebel against Him and He made that being or world anyhow, then God must be responsible for sin as you suggested. But you may notice I would use your argument in reverse to prove that God cannot know all of the future which is another, but related subject." {Boblee}

DA 22
The plan for our redemption was not an afterthought, a plan formulated after the fall of Adam. It was a revelation of "the mystery which hath been kept in silence through times eternal." Rom. 16:25, R. V. It was an unfolding of the principles that from eternal ages have been the foundation of God's throne. From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. So great was His love for the world, that He covenanted to give His only-begotten Son, "that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16. {DA 22.2}

Re: Justification #11214
12/02/04 04:59 AM
12/02/04 04:59 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
You're right, Tom, this thread has gone astray. In light of the wrath of God, the punishment and destruction of the wicked, He is justified is killing them in the lake of fire because they refused and/or rejected to live in harmony with His law, because they despised the sacrifice of Christ on Calvary. Whether it is His exceeding brightness that kills them or literal fire, or both, the main thing is that God is just and loving for eliminating them forever.

Re: Justification #11215
12/01/04 11:04 PM
12/01/04 11:04 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In light of the love of God revealed on the cross, demonstrating the lethalness of sin, regarding the punishment and destruction of the wicked, God is justified in destroying them by allowing them to reap the consequences of their own choice because they refused and/or rejected to be in harmony with His character, because they despised the sacrifice of Christ on Calvary. The main thing is that God is just, loving and merciful for bringing sin to an end in such a way that all can see His goodness.

Re: Justification #11216
12/02/04 01:04 AM
12/02/04 01:04 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Okay. But do you really believe God is loving? What kind of God walks onto the scene and kills everybody because He chose not to hide the brightness of His glory? Just how just is that? Why not send Jesus instead?

Re: Justification #11217
12/02/04 05:59 AM
12/02/04 05:59 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I find this to be a very odd question. You seem to think Jesus and God are different. Sending Jesus, as you put it, wouldn't change a thing. When Christ comes the second time the wicked call for the mountains to fall upon them. They would rather have rocks fall on their head then to see the eyes of their Redeemer who loves them with unlimited love.

"This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." (DA 764)

In answer to your question, do I think God is loving, I answer yes, more than I can think or imagine. In answer to your question, "What kind of God walks onto the scene and kills everybody because He chose not to hide the brightness of His glory?" I answer it appears to me you are not looking at things in the same way they are being described in the above DA quote. The glory of Him who is love destroys them because the wicked choose to separate themselves from God, not because "He walks on the scene and kills them."

======

Quote removed as it is from the immediately preceding post. - Daryl [Smile]

[ December 03, 2004, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Justification #11218
12/02/04 07:29 AM
12/02/04 07:29 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
Mike,

As you quoted Mrs. White, "The plan for our redemption was not an afterthought." I didn't say it was. When God gave free will or freedom of choice to His creation, there was indeed the possibility that somewhere, sometime, somehow, some form of rebellion would arise. The plan of salvation was an obvious preparation on God's part before He created any sentient beings to counter the possibility that sin would arise. But there is no reason to believe it was inevitable. Or for that matter, that Lucifer would be the one to start it. Nor is it obvious that Earth would be the place where it would continue.

So where's the contradiction? The only contradiction I see is with those who claim that God knows the future but also say God didn't start sin. I understood you to resolve the dilemma by suggesting God did start sin; while I resolve it by suggesting that God does not claim to know all the details of the future (only those things which He intends to control).

RL

Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!