HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
Re: Justification #11199
11/28/04 06:58 AM
11/28/04 06:58 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
Mike

It's interesting that you would say, "if we cannot read the Bible the way it's written, if it is left with us to figure out what plain speech means, as if it contains hidden meaning not obvious – then we are more than all people most miserable;" but when I take the Bible the way it's written (the wages of sin is death), you call it "a metaphor."

You may be right, of course; the "crime/punishment" paradigm may indeed be correct. There is much in Scripture to support it. But there is also much in Scripture which supports a cause/effect paradigm which I am exploring. Part of the problem, of course, is the multitude of meanings each of our buzzwords contains. Can we really define "wages" as a "punishment?" For that matter, what is "punishment?" Is the splat at the bottom a punishment for falling off a cliff? And what is "sin?" Is falling off a cliff a sin God can't just forgive or overlook? God forgave Moses for striking the rock. Or maybe that wasn't really a sin! If not, then why didn't God let Moses go into the promised land? If so, how could God resurrect and take him to heaven, long before Calvary. So just how do sin and salvation and punishment fit together. To me, it's not nearly as clear using the traditional crime/punishment paradigm as it is in the cause/effect paradigm.

You also said, "the Bible means what it says." I agree. But what does the Bible actually say? We don't take the parables literally, nor much of the poetry (like the attitude of the psalmist in Psalm 137:8,9), nor many of the prophecies (remember water=peoples, a day=a year, beasts=nations, etc.?). We teach, for instance, that the dead righteous stay in their graves until Jesus comes. But Paul tells us that God brings the righteous with Him when He comes for His people (I Thess 4:14). Then there's that "great multitude" John saw in heaven between the sixth and seventh seals (Rev 7:9) and again just before the seven last plagues were poured out (Rev 15:2). If the righteous don't go to heaven when they die, where did all those people come from? On the present subject, you claim that "the notion that God has never killed anyone is totally unbiblical." There are texts which support that notion, but as I pointed out, almost all those texts can be interpreted in other ways that to me make a lot more sense. I believe it is SIN that kills, not God. To paraphrase Paul (Romans 6:23 again), Sin causes Death. Why is that so hard to believe?

RL

Re: Justification #11200
11/29/04 04:46 AM
11/29/04 04:46 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Is the splat at the bottom a punishment for falling off a cliff?

Well, it would depend on why and how someone ended up falling off the cliff. If he was found guilty of some crime that warranted the death penalty, and the judge and jury sentenced him to be pushed off a cliff, then the splat at the bottom would be the result of punishment. Yes, it is also the result of natural law, the law of gravity, but natural law is impartial, whereas pushing him off the cliff is deliberate. The responsibility for the death of the criminal rests with the judge and jury and, of course, the executioner, the one who actually pushes him off the cliff.

But in reality, since God has the power to prevent the criminal from going splat at the bottom, from dying on impact, then God is ultimately responsible. Which is also why God is accountable for everything that happens in heaven and on earth, and throughout His far flung universe. In fact, if we back up far enough, to the beginning, before anything was created, when there was only the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, when sin and death were impossible, then we can say with certainty that God is responsible for the existence of sin and death.

No, God didn’t cause created beings to sin and die, but He did create free moral agents capable of sinning and dying, knowing that they would eventually choose to sin and rebel, knowing that Jesus would have to do die on the cross to redeem them from death, knowing all these things, God, nevertheless, chose to create them anyhow. Sin and death would have never happened if God hadn’t created beings who would eventually choose to sin and rebel. Thus, in one sense, God is responsible for the existence of sin and death.

If we can agree that God is responsible for the existence of sin and death, then we should also be able to agree that the responsibility to eliminate sin and death rests solely with God. We have already seen on Calvary that God took it upon Himself to deal with the sin problem by becoming sin for us and by dying to redeem us from sin and death. When Jesus lived and died the perfect life and death He thereby earned the right to own our sin and second death. He is the lawful owner of the keys of hell and of death.

As the rightful owner of hell and death, it rests with Jesus to eliminate them once and forever. The way God proposes to do this is by eliminating sin and sinners in the lake of fire. Both hell and death are also eliminated in the lake of fire. The same fire purifies the earth by consuming all traces of sin, and then eventually it goes out, and God recreates the earth anew. To suggest that this fire is something other than literal fire just doesn’t make sense to me, especially when there is no reason for me to think otherwise. One of the rules for studying the Bible is to take it literally unless it is absurd to do so.

quote:
I believe it is SIN that kills, not God. To paraphrase Paul (Romans 6:23 again), Sin causes Death. Why is that so hard to believe?

It is hard to believe because I am still alive and well, in spite of the fact I have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Re: Justification #11201
11/29/04 04:53 AM
11/29/04 04:53 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
Mike,

Now I see where you're coming from. My cousin also believes that God is the author of sin. He believes that this planet and its humans are a new and distinct creation which God designed for the specific purpose of demonstrating the results of sin to the universe. You seem to have picked up a similar paradigm, and if so, the rest of what you are saying makes sense.

I find much in Scripture which is contrary to that view and very little Scripture to support it, but there is enough support that I can't really argue about it.

RL

Re: Justification #11202
11/30/04 06:29 AM
11/30/04 06:29 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
"Nothing is more plainly taught in
Scripture than that God was in no wise responsible for the entrance of sin; that there was no arbitrary withdrawal of divine grace, no deficiency in the divine government, that gave occasion for the uprising of rebellion. Sin is an intruder, for whose presence no reason can be given." (GC 493)

Doesn't this mean that God is not responsible for the existence of sin?

Re: Justification #11203
11/30/04 06:38 AM
11/30/04 06:38 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
"The way God proposes to do this is by eliminating sin and sinners in the lake of fire."

"God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power.

It was God's purpose to place things on an eternal basis of security, and in the councils of heaven it was decided that time must be given for Satan to develop the principles which were the foundation of his system of government. He had claimed that these were superior to God's principles. Time was given for the working of Satan's principles, that they might be seen by the heavenly universe....

This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

But not so when the great controversy shall be ended. Then, the plan of redemption having been completed, the character of God is revealed to all created intelligences. The precepts of His law are seen to be perfect and immutable. Then sin has made manifest its nature, Satan his character. Then the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love and establish His honor before a universe of beings who delight to do His will, and in whose heart is His law." (DA "It is Finished")

Sorry the quote is so long.

What this brings out is that God could not eliminate sin by force, as your paradigm seems to indicate. First of all, God does not use compelling force, as it is not according to His character. Secondly, sin cannot be eliminated by force. It's not destroyed by brute power, but by love and truth, the governing principles of God's government.

It is the truth of God's character that places the universe in a state of eternal security. Sin will not arise again because all will know the truth of who God is. To know God is life eternal.

Re: Justification #11204
12/01/04 04:00 AM
12/01/04 04:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Doesn't this mean that God is not responsible for the existence of sin?

In one sense, yes, it does mean that God is not responsible for the “entrance” of sin. But does “entrance” and “existence” mean the same thing? Here’s what makes sense to me, the entrance or existence of sin was not possible until God created free moral agents capable of sinning and dying. Taking into consideration that God knew sin would enter the picture, and that creating beings capable of sinning and dying was not a requirement, that is, the Godhead could have continued living as they had been for zillions of years without the existence of created beings, taking these things into consideration – I think it is obvious that God is responsible for creating a situation where sin and death was inevitable. That’s it, maybe the word “inevitable” is better than the word “existence”.

Here again, though, I think it is also obvious that God did not make or cause created beings to sin or rebel. He gave them the ability to choose to be willingly loyal or deliberately rebellious. But by virtue of the fact He knew in advance that they would sin and die, and that Jesus would make salvation available to them by living and dying the perfect life and death, God is not only responsible for creating a situation where sin and death was inevitable, He is also responsible for eliminating sin and death, the onus rests with Him alone.

Admittedly, the DA quote you posted seems to suggest that what destroys and exterminates sin and sinners is the glory of God, which is a consuming fire. But a closer look at the bigger picture, taking into account everything Sister White wrote, and what the Bible writers penned, it is obvious to me that God also employs literal fire to “destroy” the unsaved. Yes, His glory is a consuming fire, but He also uses literal fire to exterminate sin and sinners. Otherwise, we must twist and tweak the inspired statements that describe the fire, the lake of fire, wherein the wicked are destroyed according to their evil works.

DA 759, 764
God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. {DA 759.1}

Yet Satan was not then destroyed. {DA 761.3}

Satan and all who have joined him in rebellion will be cut off. Sin and sinners will perish, root and branch, (Mal. 4:1),--Satan the root, and his followers the branches. The word will be fulfilled to the prince of evil, "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; . . . I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." {DA 763.4}

Then the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love and establish His honor before a universe of beings who delight to do His will, and in whose heart is His law. {DA 764.3}

Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure. {DA 764}

EW 294, 295
Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!" {EW 294.2}

Said the angel, "Satan is the root, his children are the branches. They are now consumed root and branch. They have died an everlasting death. They are never to have a resurrection, and God will have a clean universe." I then looked and saw the fire which had consumed the wicked, burning up the rubbish and purifying the earth. Again I looked and saw the earth purified. {EW 295.1}

Re: Justification #11205
11/30/04 08:21 PM
11/30/04 08:21 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
In one sense, yes, it does mean that God is not responsible for the “entrance” of sin. But does “entrance” and “existence” mean the same thing? Here’s what makes sense to me, the entrance or existence of sin was not possible until God created free moral agents capable of sinning and dying. Taking into consideration that God knew sin would enter the picture, and that creating beings capable of sinning and dying was not a requirement, that is, the Godhead could have continued living as they had been for zillions of years without the existence of created beings, taking these things into consideration – I think it is obvious that God is responsible for creating a situation where sin and death was inevitable. That’s it, maybe the word “inevitable” is better than the word “existence”.

I think the Spirit of Prophesy is right in what she wrote. God is in no way responsible for the entrance, or existence, of sin. Sin is 100% Satan's invention, and God never intended for it to occur.

Mike: "I think it is obvious that God is responsible for creating a situation where sin and death was inevitable."

EGW: "Nothing is more plainly taught in Scripture than that God was in no wise responsible for the entrance of sin."

I think it's obvious what you wrote is not agreeing with what EGW wrote. If God created a situation where sin was inevitable, then He is responsible for sin occuring. That's as clear as sunlight.

Re: Justification #11206
11/30/04 08:37 PM
11/30/04 08:37 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Admittedly, the DA quote you posted seems to suggest that what destroys and exterminates sin and sinners is the glory of God, which is a consuming fire. But a closer look at the bigger picture, taking into account everything Sister White wrote, and what the Bible writers penned, it is obvious to me that God also employs literal fire to “destroy” the unsaved. Yes, His glory is a consuming fire, but He also uses literal fire to exterminate sin and sinners. Otherwise, we must twist and tweak the inspired statements that describe the fire, the lake of fire, wherein the wicked are destroyed according to their evil works.
It appears to me you're "closer-looking" in the wrong direction! You're saying that DA gives the impression that what causes the destruction of the wicked is not an arbitrary act of power on the power of God where He destroys them by a literal ball of fire, but when you look closer, that's what it is. In reality it's the other way around.

Here's the statement from the Desire of Ages:

"This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe." (DA 764)

Is this not clear? Sin would have destroyed Satan immedieately had God allowed them to reap the full result of what they had done, but had God allowed this to happen a seed of doubt would have remained. It would have appeared that God was arbitrarily destroying them, rather than sin. The very accusation of God you are making -- that Satan's destruction comes about as an arbitrary judgment on the part of God rather than being the "inevitable result of sin" -- is the very thing God was trying to prevent!

Re: Justification #11207
11/30/04 09:10 PM
11/30/04 09:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
"Nothing is more plainly taught in Scripture than that God was in no wise responsible for the entrance of sin."

Yes, that’s right, of course. God did not force His free moral agents to sin. I believe that’s what she means in this quote. Do you agree that sin and death were not possible before God created free moral agents? Do you believe God foresaw the entrance of sin? and that He planned for it? If so, then you must also agree that God orchestrated a situation where sin and death was inevitable.

DA 22
The plan for our redemption was not an afterthought, a plan formulated after the fall of Adam. It was a revelation of "the mystery which hath been kept in silence through times eternal." Rom. 16:25, R. V. It was an unfolding of the principles that from eternal ages have been the foundation of God's throne. From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. So great was His love for the world, that He covenanted to give His only-begotten Son, "that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16. {DA 22.2}

AG 129
The purpose and plan of grace existed from all eternity. Before the foundation of the world it was according to the determinate counsel of God that man should be created, endowed with power to do the divine will. But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning. . . . Therefore redemption was not an afterthought . . . but an eternal purpose to be wrought out for the blessing not only of this atom of a world but for the good of all the worlds which God has created. {AG 129.2}

Re: Justification #11208
11/30/04 09:22 PM
11/30/04 09:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I couldn't help but noticing you did not respond to Sister White's description of hell fire in Early Writings. Yes, of course, there is nothing arbitrary about the glory of God consuming the wicked at the end of time. But when we take into account all the inspired insights concerning hell fire, we cannot avoid the conclusion that it involves both the glory of God and literal flames. And there is absolutely nothing arbitrary about the death of the wicked in a lake of fire. God will win the great controversy, Satan will lose, and then the destruction of the wicked will seem like the loving thing to do. All of us, who will be standing there watching them die a painful and hideous death, will say, Amen! righteous and holy are thy ways, O Lord. A strange act, yes, but a loving one nonetheless.

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!