HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth #111761
04/14/09 09:56 PM
04/14/09 09:56 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:Hence, it is harder for such to avoid sin because he likes it.

T:Harder than for Christ?

A:Of course. The sinner who likes sin would have a much more difficult time rejecting than Jesus whose nature recoiled from evil. It's just like my wife, compared to me, has a much harder time avoiding avocados because she likes it, while just the thought of it entering my mouth makes me want to throw up. Don't you agree that it's much harder for her to avoid avocados?

Then it would seem Christ did not so good a job in sharing in our sorrows and temptations.

Quote:
T:No consent = no sin.

A:Do "true believers" "consent" to having "corrupt channels of humanity"?

This is rather cryptic. Could you flesh this out? What is it you think corrupts the channels of humanity?

I quoted this from Waggoner a little while ago.

Quote:
Sin is a personal matter. A man is guilty only of his own sins, and not of those which another has committed. Now I can not sin where I am not, but only where I am. Sin is in the heart of man; "for from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness; all these evil things come from within." Mark 7:21-23. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked." Jer.17:9. Sin is in every fiber of our being by nature. We are born in sin, and our life is sin, so that sin can not be taken from us without taking our life. What I need is freedom from my own personal sin,--that sin which not only has been committed by me personally, but which dwells in the heart,--the sin which constitutes the whole of my life. (The Glad Tidings)

Of special interest is the underlined portion. This may help in reference to your question.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #111784
04/15/09 04:05 PM
04/15/09 04:05 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
A:Hence, it is harder for such to avoid sin because he likes it.

T:Harder than for Christ?

A:Of course. The sinner who likes sin would have a much more difficult time rejecting than Jesus whose nature recoiled from evil. It's just like my wife, compared to me, has a much harder time avoiding avocados because she likes it, while just the thought of it entering my mouth makes me want to throw up. Don't you agree that it's much harder for her to avoid avocados?

Then it would seem Christ did not so good a job in sharing in our sorrows and temptations.

I sorrow that I fall short of the glory of God. Jesus shared that sorrow?

I sorrow that I have moral deformities. Jesus shared that, too?

My Jesus was the Holy One of Israel. He took our sin, but He did not share in our sins.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #111795
04/15/09 07:42 PM
04/15/09 07:42 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
How did He take our sin without sharing in our sins? Wasn't His suffering and death due to this very fact? (Or do you mean simply that He didn't sin?)

From "The Desire of Ages"

Quote:
But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. (DA 49)

I don't see how what you're saying fits with this. This looks to be saying that Christ took sinful nature in order to share in the temptations and sorrows common to sinful nature. That's right, isn't it?

Quote:
For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Hebrews 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Hebrews 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject.(DA 24)

I don't see how it fits with this either. If He endured every trial to which we are subject, then I don't see how the sin was easy for Him to avoid, unless you don't see this as a trial to which we are subject. Similarly, I don't see how you could assert He was not tempted from within, unless you don't see this as a trial we have to endure either.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #112213
04/24/09 06:49 AM
04/24/09 06:49 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
How did He take our sin without sharing in our sins? Wasn't His suffering and death due to this very fact? (Or do you mean simply that He didn't sin?)

He took our sin without partaking of the sin. In fact, He became sin without partaking of the sin.

In Him is no sin. He had no sin. So, He could TAKE our sin without HAVING sin. So also, He could TAKE our sinful nature without HAVING a sinful nature.

I don't see how what you're saying fits with this. This looks to be saying that Christ took sinful nature in order to share in the temptations and sorrows common to sinful nature. That's right, isn't it?

I don't see how it fits with this either. If He endured every trial to which we are subject, then I don't see how the sin was easy for Him to avoid, unless you don't see this as a trial to which we are subject. Similarly, I don't see how you could assert He was not tempted from within, unless you don't see this as a trial we have to endure either.

I don't apply it universally as you do. You remember this quote?
Quote:
The real difficulty arises from the corruption of an unsanctified heart, and an unwillingness to submit to the control of God. {COL 331.2}

Did Jesus have the same difficulty of having the corruption of an unsanctified heart? I don't think He did. He was always sanctified.

While our difficulty is in keeping ourselves from sinking to what comes naturally to us, His was in keeping Himself from rising to what came naturally for Him.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #112216
04/24/09 11:57 AM
04/24/09 11:57 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
While our difficulty is in keeping ourselves from sinking to what comes naturally to us, His was in keeping Himself from rising to what came naturally for Him.

This would hardly be sharing in our sorrows and temptations. Nor would it be bearing every trial that we are called to endure.

We're told the most difficult temptations we have to face come from within. Given that Christ bore every trial that we have, and that had we to bear some trial He didn't have to that Satan would represent God's power as insufficient for us, and the He took our fallen nature for this express purpose, it's difficult to see how one can avoid the conclusion that Christ was tempted from within.

Quote:
The real difficulty arises from the corruption of an unsanctified heart, and an unwillingness to submit to the control of God. {COL 331.2}

Did Jesus have the same difficulty of having the corruption of an unsanctified heart? I don't think He did. He was always sanctified.

How does your question have to do with the question at hand? Here's more of the quote:

Quote:
Let no one say, I cannot remedy my defects of character. If you come to this decision, you will certainly fail of obtaining everlasting life. The impossibility lies in your own will. If you will not, then you can not overcome. The real difficulty arises from the corruption of an unsanctified heart, and an unwillingness to submit to the control of God.

She's speaking about our not making excuses for our defects of character, which are due to an unwillingness on our part to do so. Jesus Christ never chose to sin. To overcome He had to confront and overcome the same fallen nature that we do.

As long as you refuse to consider the historical setting of Ellen White's quotes, I don't see how you can come to a balanced understanding of her theology.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #112234
04/24/09 10:01 PM
04/24/09 10:01 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
She's speaking about our not making excuses for our defects of character, which are due to an unwillingness on our part to do so. Jesus Christ never chose to sin. To overcome He had to confront and overcome the same fallen nature that we do.

And that's the point you've been missing, as most postlaps do. The problem is that we have defects of character, and we are unwilling to let them go. That is the seat of our difficulty. Jesus did not have that difficulty.

In contrast, the postlap's focus is on Christ's similarity to us. That means he is not focusing on that defective character that needs to be fixed.

If you do not see that Christlikeness of character should take much more of our attention than sinfulness of flesh, then we won't see eye-to-eye on exactly what it was that Jesus came to save us from. And that is a much more important issue.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #112254
04/25/09 04:35 AM
04/25/09 04:35 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Ellen White:Let no one say, I cannot remedy my defects of character. If you come to this decision, you will certainly fail of obtaining everlasting life. The impossibility lies in your own will. If you will not, then you can not overcome. The real difficulty arises from the corruption of an unsanctified heart, and an unwillingness to submit to the control of God.

Me:

Quote:
She's speaking about our not making excuses for our defects of character, which are due to an unwillingness on our part to do so.

You:

Quote:

And that's the point you've been missing, as most postlaps do.

How is this missing the point? Isn't this exactly what she's saying?

Quote:
The impossibility lies in your own will. If you will not, then you can not overcome.

I don't know how else to understand this. "The impossibility lies in your own will." Isn't this addressing an unwillingness on our part?

Quote:
That is the seat of our difficulty. Jesus did not have that difficulty.

This is from "The Desire of Ages" Page 24:

Quote:
If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Heb. 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject. And He exercised in His own behalf no power that is not freely offered to us.

You seem bound and determined to crush this thought. But many find great comfort in the thought that Christ really did share in our sorrows and difficulties, and that, indeed, He did, in fact, endure every trial to which we are subject.

Quote:
In contrast, the postlap's focus is on Christ's similarity to us. That means he is not focusing on that defective character that needs to be fixed.

This isn't right. When A. T. Jones began his sermons in 1895 on the humanity of Christ, he started out by explaining that Christ took our fallen nature in order to reveal God. The revelation of God is exactly what we need to fix our defective characters. Indeed, it's the only thing that can. As Ellen White put it, this was the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission on earth:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

Quote:
If you do not see that Christlikeness of character should take much more of our attention than sinfulness of flesh, then we won't see eye-to-eye on exactly what it was that Jesus came to save us from. And that is a much more important issue.

You're making a false dichotomy here. It's not necessary to believe in Original Sin to see that Christlikeness of character should be the focus of our attention.

I quoted from 5 postlapsarian authors (in the other thread discussing Christ's humanity) all with the focus which you claim is lacking.

What I'm seeing represented in your posts is a caricature of postlapsarian thought. No quotes. Just your own words. Empty accusations.

In all honesty, don't you find the posts which I presented to be beautiful? If you don't, then you're right, we won't see eye to eye. If you do, perhaps we can find common ground by bringing to light what postlapsarian preaching really emphasized.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #112288
04/26/09 04:15 PM
04/26/09 04:15 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
How is this missing the point? Isn't this exactly what she's saying?

No, you're not saying the same thing. Here's your full paragraph:
Quote:

Let me summarize what I'm seeing from what you said.

Our problem: defects of character.
Christ's problem: fallen nature.

Is that the same problem? You sometimes answer Yes, sometimes No.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #112292
04/26/09 07:08 PM
04/26/09 07:08 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:She's speaking about our not making excuses for our defects of character, which are due to an unwillingness on our part to do so. Jesus Christ never chose to sin. To overcome He had to confront and overcome the same fallen nature that we do.

Quote:
A:Let me summarize what I'm seeing from what you said.

Our problem: defects of character.
Christ's problem: fallen nature.

Why not summarize like this?

1.She's speaking about our not making excuses for our defects of character.
2.These are due to an unwillingness on our part.
3.Jesus Christ never chose to sin.
4.To overcome He had to confront and overcome the same fallen nature that we do.

From the SOP:

Quote:
As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Heb. 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject. And He exercised in His own behalf no power that is not freely offered to us. As man, He met temptation, and overcame in the strength given Him from God. He says, "I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Ps. 40:8. As He went about doing good, and healing all who were afflicted by Satan, He made plain to men the character of God's law and the nature of His service. His life testifies that it is possible for us also to obey the law of God. (DA 24)

Anyway, I'm not seeing where I said anything about "our problem" or "Jesus' problem" along the lines of what you're suggesting.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #112356
04/28/09 03:53 PM
04/28/09 03:53 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Why not summarize like this?

If you wish. But it is this inability or refusal to look at it in a different way that keeps you thinking that your way is the only way. Anyway...

2.These are due to an unwillingness on our part.
3.Jesus Christ never chose to sin.

#2 is our big problem. #3 is what Jesus did instead. Jesus did not experience #2 while incarnate.

What is so exciting about #2 that we love to do it? Because it puts us in the driver's seat. We call the shots. In short, we say to ourselves, "I will be like the Most High."

Christ's experience was the opposite. He WAS the Most High. He could call the shots and do a good job at it. But His challenge was to NOT call the shots, and submit everything to His Father.

Even by your own summary, it is apparent that what we face is not exactly what Jesus faced. Can you see that yet?

1.She's speaking about our not making excuses for our defects of character.
4.To overcome He had to confront and overcome the same fallen nature that we do.

Again, defective character vs. fallen nature. Are those the same problem?

To survive, we have to overcome our defective characters. Did Jesus have a defective character to overcome?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!