HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Mountain Man] #113609
05/25/09 03:07 PM
05/25/09 03:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It was clear to David, and he read only the Old Testament. The Pentateuch would have been his main course of study.

I suggest you read, "The Everlasting Covenant" by E. J. Waggoner. This book is on the Gospel in the Pentateuch. It's almost 400 pages long. It references all parts of Scripture, but the primary emphasis is on the Pentateuch. It is full of Gospel lessons, one after the other.

It is our blindness and hardness of heart that causes us not to see the Gospel. "Sinai and Calvary" is a wonderful chapter that brings this out.

I recall reading things Waggoner pointed out in the book and thinking, "No way! That can't be in Scripture!," but it was. The Lord gave him a wonderful gift to do the very thing you're having difficulty with, to recognize the Gospel in the writings of Moses.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #113617
05/25/09 07:13 PM
05/25/09 07:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
David was shown things through the gift of prophecy. Are you suggesting it requires the gift of prophecy to see both aspects clearly in the Pentateuch?

Yes, Waggoner was able to see wonderful things in the Pentateuch because he possessed the advantage of hindsight.

BTW, the following passage is very insightful:

It is the voice of Christ that speaks through patriarchs and prophets, from the days of Adam even to the closing scenes of time. The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New. It is the light from the prophetic past that brings out the life of Christ and the teachings of the New Testament with clearness and beauty. The miracles of Christ are a proof of His divinity; but a stronger proof that He is the world's Redeemer is found in comparing the prophecies of the Old Testament with the history of the New. {DA 799.2}

Do you agree with the bolded part above?

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Mountain Man] #113624
05/25/09 08:42 PM
05/25/09 08:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No, MM, it's not through hindsight that Waggoner saw the things he saw. Just sight. They're right in the text. I suggest you take a look at it! "The Everlasting Covenant."

It's rather interesting, the SOP tells us that God sent us the message He did through Jones and Waggoner as a means to open our eyes (the "eye salve" referred to in Rev. 3). As she pointed out, it's not new truth, but truth that wasn't seen.

Sounds like Waggoner's help could be very beneficial.

Regarding David, I simply gave him as an example. Surely the Holy Spirit enabled him to see insights, but the insights were in the text. No, one doesn't need to be a prophet to understand Scripture, but one does need the Holy Spirit. He can open your eyes to see the same things David saw!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #113648
05/26/09 12:32 PM
05/26/09 12:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Do you agree with Ellen that the OT reveals Jesus just as clearly as does the NT? If so, then yes, we should be able to see the character of God revealed just as clearly in the OT as we do in Jesus in the NT. However, where in the Pentateuch does Moses clearly explain the two aspects of this thread? In the past you've cited the serpent on the pole as proof. Proof to who? The Jews at the time? Or, to the average Gentile reading it in 2009?

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Mountain Man] #113663
05/26/09 06:41 PM
05/26/09 06:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If you're going ask an opinion regarding something Ellen White said, please provide a direct quote.

Just to recap, your position is that neither in the New Testament, nor the Old, is Jesus Christ clearly revealed, as far as the meaning of His death is concerned, correct?

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #113722
05/28/09 06:04 AM
05/28/09 06:04 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
WOW! I read the first seven pages of this thread and was amazed at how people talk past each other!

People were on totally different wave lengths!

On reading the last pages it seems things haven't gotten any better!

It's not that people didn't make some good points, just that they weren't communicating on the same wave length, and obviously misunderstanding each other.

(And don't go expecting me to "quote" all the misunderstandings I'm refering to, anyone with an objective mind can read through and see it for themselves)

Actually I think MM's initial question is one that I've often wondered about myself.

So, -- let's place ourselves in the shoes of a person living in -- let's say in the days of the judges when people like Ruth and Naomi and Boaz were alive.

They had the books of Moses. But Moses himself, as well as Joshua had long passed off the scene of earth's history, their verbal instruction was long past, Israel had done some rather serious apostasying and had some revivals, and verbal tradition can get muddled even under the best of circumstances and these weren't the best of circumstances. The later prophets, like Isaiah, were yet future.

How could these people living at that time, (in the days of Ruth, Boaz, Niomi etc, verify what was truth or not concerning the coming Messiah, BY SCRIPTURE?

I agree the sacrificial and feast day ceremonies were depictions in great detail of what Christ would do.

Yet, Where did Moses (not Isaiah, Paul, or EGW) explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death?

Remember this is refering to scripture, -- something the people could read and look to, to see what truth is.

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: dedication] #113725
05/28/09 01:29 PM
05/28/09 01:29 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Dedication, You are very right. People living at that time, (in the days of Ruth, Boaz, Niomi etc), needed to know about Jesus and the truth with scriptures at hand?

Mike, you have posted a very important question indeed.

Jesus said that all scriptures testify of Him. Jn 5:39
Scriptures in that time was the old testament.

Thinking about it, Abraham didn't possess any scriptures. However, he knew the meaning of the sacrifice when God ask him to sacrifice Isaac. He knew(or had faith) that God was going to provide a sacrifice.
Quote:
Gen 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

After his experience, Abraham clearly understood the sacrifice will be God's own son. Jesus said that Abraham saw His day and was glad.
Quote:
Jhn 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw [it], and was glad.

Abraham didn't have any scriptures and I'm sure that a lot of the prophecy given in Eden was conveyed from father to son got lost through the generations. However, Abraham was taught of God. Every man has that priviledge even thought they have no sciptures. Anyway it's good to have scriptures especially when confusion increases. Abraham had the most intimate relationship and communication with God that few men ever known to the point of seeing the day of Jesus death. I'm sure Abraham knew the reason of the sacrifice and the great controversy.

The same with Moses. I don't know how much was handed from generation to generation to Moses, however, he did know a lot of details including Abraham experiences.

Ruth Boaz and Naomi's time, they had access to quite a bit of scriptures compared to Abraham and Moses. Also they could be taught of God like Abraham and Moses. God will reveal truth(Jesus) to those who seek.

As time increase, written testimonies (scriptures) increased, however, did it increase the faith? Not really. Why?

Because reality is that many do not seek Truth(Jesus). Most people don't seek to be taught of God but seek other man's opinions or their own. Jesus talks about that in Jn 5:39-47
Originally Posted By: Jhn 5
39. Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
40. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
41. I receive not honour from men.
42. But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.
43. I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
44. How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that [cometh] from God only?
45. Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is [one] that accuseth you, [even] Moses, in whom ye trust.
46. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
47. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Jesus makes very clear that if they(Jews) believed in Moses(search Moses scriptures and be taught of God), they would of beleived in Jesus because he(Moses) wrote of Jesus. However, the Jews believed not in the same Moses that Jesus knew, But a different Moses that the Jews had fashioned throught their scholars.

Are we going in the same direction as the Jews? Are we seeking studying scriptures via what others say about Jesus while we should bring our own questions to God and let God teach us Himself?

God makes very clear that we are to be taught of God and not by men.
Quote:
1Jn 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Is the point that it wasn't explicitly explained that the animal sacrifice was symbolic of Jesus death on the cross? That God lacked in revealing His truth? God chose it to be written as is for in His wisdom He knew it was the best. Maybe God wanted people to search scriptures and what was implicit to pray so He Himself would have a personal communication with a person because He wanted to teach them in all things.

Blessings
Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Elle] #113732
05/28/09 08:22 PM
05/28/09 08:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The cultures had an understanding of sacrifice which was built into the culture. There was a whole world view that existed among the different cultures. There's all sorts of imagery that goes right past us, but they would have gotten as easily as we would get references to T.V., the internet, or cell phones. So one thing to bear in mind is that there was a great deal of meaning, of which we have no clue, in the sacrificial system itself.

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #113733
05/28/09 08:23 PM
05/28/09 08:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Because reality is that many do not seek Truth(Jesus). Most people don't seek to be taught of God but seek other man's opinions or their own.

This point is certainly well taken.

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Elle] #113754
05/29/09 06:48 AM
05/29/09 06:48 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Did you know that even though well over 2000 years lay between Abraham and Adam, the oral transmission really didn't separate them that much.

Adam still lived for quite a few years after Methuselah was born. Adam was about 690 years old when Methuselah born, thus Methuselah would have had 240 years to visit with Adam before Adam died at the age of 930 years. Methuselah was Enoch's son so he would have had the instruction and guidance from that godly father as well.

Methusalah was Noah's grandfather.
He was there with Noah all during the time of the building of the ark. So Noah would have heard all the things that Adam and Enoch had taught Methusalah. Noah's sons would have had the opportunity to hear Methusalah as well. Especially Shem who was the more spiritually inclined of the three sons of Noah.

Methusalah died the same year as the flood, just prior to its coming.

After the flood.
We have Noah living another 350 years after the flood.

Shem was 98 years old at the time of the flood. He lived another 502 years after the flood to the age of 600.

If you add up the ages in Gen. 11 you'll find that Abraham was born about 300 years after the flood.

That would mean Noah was still alive during the first 50 years of Abraham's life.
Shem was alive during Abraham's entire lifetime!!!
Abraham lived only 175 years.

Shem would have been 400 years old when Abraham was born, and outlived him by 25 years!

So the point here, is that Abraham had a pretty straight line to Adam. If the followers of the true God met together and learned from the ancient men, they could have known MUCH!

These are the MAIN links (of course there were others alive during the same time) -- but these would have been the main links.

Adam -- Methuselah -- NOAH & Shem -- Abraham!

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!