HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 30 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 29 30
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113909
05/31/09 04:56 PM
05/31/09 04:56 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
What of the excerpts from the chapter on salvation that I quoted? It's very easy to put various meanings into the key words of the official belief statements, giving it another meaning than the detail which is in the chapter. What of the detail I drew from chapter 9 of the fundamental beliefs?

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Rosangela] #113910
05/31/09 04:57 PM
05/31/09 04:57 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
If you take a dictionary, and look up the meanings of each of the words "Christ's substitutionary death," I agree with each word, according to their normal usage, and according to their dictionary definition.

In fact, Tom, you agree with the definition of the words like I agree with some statements of Prescott's sermon. You agree with the form, but not with the idea behind it. It's to this that Dedication is referring.

Yes, indeed! Thanks for that point, Rosangela.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113913
05/31/09 05:28 PM
05/31/09 05:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:If you take a dictionary, and look up the meanings of each of the words "Christ's substitutionary death," I agree with each word, according to their normal usage, and according to their dictionary definition.

R:In fact, Tom, you agree with the definition of the words like I agree with some statements of Prescott's sermon. You agree with the form, but not with the idea behind it. It's to this that Dedication is referring.

C:Yes, indeed! Thanks for that point, Rosangela.

As I pointed out in my response to Rosangela, her point doesn't apply in my case, because there is no context for D's phrase "Christ's substitutionary death" as there is in the case for Prescott's sermon. If Dedication meant by saying that I don't really believe in Christ's substitutionary death that I don't knew really believe in what she means by it, I would agree, and, similarly, had I been quoting from a sermon by someone who is avowed proponent of penal substitution, I would agree with the point that I would be as out of line in doing so as Rosagela was in claiming to agree with Prescott's sermon.

But I didn't do this.

I don't know of anyone who doesn't affirm Christ's substitutionary death. I'm sure there are people like this, I just don't know of any (within SDAism, I speaking of).

Again, I hasten to point out, that it's not necessary to believe in penal substitution to believe in Christ's substitutionary point. The author of the Christus Victor article also affirms his belief in Christ's substitutionary death.

The principle here is really simple. To affirm Christ's substitutionary death means simply that Christ died in my place. Or, to say it another way, had Christ not suffered my death, I would have had to.

I believe this 100%. Therefore I believe in Christ's substitutionary death.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113914
05/31/09 05:36 PM
05/31/09 05:36 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom

Again, if I was obtuse in my reading of what Dedication wrote, I'll let Theresa be the judge, and apologize if that was the case.

ROFL i dont believe i would be considered an impartial judge, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dedication
Obviously you and your faithful follower Terrasa don't want me here....

i had already responded to this before it was deleted,#113830.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113915
05/31/09 05:38 PM
05/31/09 05:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
What of the excerpts from the chapter on salvation that I quoted?

Which post?

Quote:
It's very easy to put various meanings into the key words of the official belief statements, giving it another meaning than the detail which is in the chapter. What of the detail I drew from chapter 9 of the fundamental beliefs?

Which post? I can't see where you did this.

Regardless, what's in the chapter is not a part of our official beliefs. The fundamental beliefs statements represent the official position of the church.

Here's an explanation as to why this is important, in a manner I think you'll agree with. Consider the fundamental belief on the nature of Christ.

Quote:
God the eternal Son became incarnate in Jesus Christ. Through Him all things were created, the character of God is revealed, the salvation of humanity is accomplished, and the world is judged. Forever truly God, He became also truly man, Jesus the Christ. He was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived and experienced temptation as a human being, but perfectly exemplified the righteousness and love of God.(from FB#4)

Now it could be that the author of this FB is prelapsarian (I'm not saying he is; this is just for illustration purposes) and his explanation of the chapter in the book might have a prelapsarian flavor to it. That doesn't mean that postlapsarianism is the official position of the church. The statement of belief is purposely vague, allowing for both postlapsarian and prelapsarian interpretations (since prelapsarianism has entered our church).

Similarly there are different positions regarding the atonement. As I've repeatedly pointed out, there are many credentialed ministers who share the view of the atonement that I hold. If there were an official church position to which these were contrary, they wouldn't be allowed to present their positions from the pulpit.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113918
05/31/09 06:13 PM
05/31/09 06:13 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
In fact, Tom, you agree with the definition of the words like I agree with some statements of Prescott's sermon. You agree with the form, but not with the idea behind it. It's to this that Dedication is referring.

I could agree with this if she were quoting someone's use of these terms. For example, if she quoted from some known advocate of penal substitution, and I took that phrase in the context of a sermon the person gave, then we would have a similar situation (to you and Prescott) and your point would be well taken. But without this context, the phrase "Christ's substitutionary death" is understood in different ways. As I've pointed out out, there are literally millions of Christians who do not understand this phrase according to the penal substitution idea, yet they affirm Christ's substitutionary death.

Regarding Fundamental Beliefs #9, it uses the word "expiatory" which is frequently, if not routinely, understood as not being penal.

No, Tom, no need for sermon scripts for Rosangela to be right! Just the words and meanings of Dedication's Bible study, here!! It isn't news to you that your separate thread on atonement expresses a meaning of substitution quite different to the meaning presented by Dedication on her thread here, is it?! I think it's news to her.

"Expiation" is in the voted statement and is indeed confusing without an accurate definition. The chapter itself notes all three words used in English Bibles: "atonement", "propitiation", "expiation". I think only the Handbook of SDA Theology actually attempts to try to sort them out - expiation and propitiation, but am not sure even that book fully succeeds.

Essentially - for Bible study, God's holy wrath against sin is in one word but not in the other. Also, both were viewed in Bible times as man appeasing his gods with bigger and bigger sacrifices, especially children - to the distate of many. Rom 3:25 says that God appeased his own wrath against sin by the sacrifice of his own Son - whom he raised up again from the dead, too!!! That would have rocked the known world! - if anyone was open to God's truth...Nowadays it's proportionally huge material sacrifices we compare God's gift to.

There's nothing in your reply to me today that I could take as an answer to any of my questions, but I'll be polite and put down a few comments here.

My comment about SOP was that you weren't letting Dedication operate without it or without reference to it. This thread is a matter of Bible study, at her discretion, and you didn't notice that.

We keep returning to your difficulty with her sentence, because that sentence pervades her study. She didn't think you could possibly miss her point, so your "difficulty" understanding her, set off alarm bells. This issue can hopefully now be sorted out and clarified on the atonement thread you've started. Her study here is how we experience living faith, not the nature of the atonement.

The study here is Rom 3,6,7 I think, not Rom 5. Differences in other areas, Tom, are of course for another thread: your position on Rom 6:4 is not well spelled out, to my recollection.

Remember this? It expresses Rom 6:4.
Quote:
Oh, yes, also: you agree then that our old man is crucified with Christ, so we can and do reckon and experience by faith our death to sin in Christ's death?

What does this mean? Please state the meaning in non-theological jargon, but simple language that anyone can understand.

Oh dear! You're not familiar with this concept? You still having difficulty with this truth...Remember the Apostle Paul's mention of our "old man", our sinful nature, and that "we" are crucified in Christ's humanity? By faith we participate in that crucifixion..., remember? Christ's cross is where and how we die to sin, since he died for us, for sin and to sin, culminating a lifetime of obedience in rejection of sinfulness, which he'd assumed to be made flesh.

That's the only way to switch our minds from sin to agape, by our own choice and God's Spirit. Rom 4:25 says that justification follows dying for & to sin: they are separate worlds, sin and righteousness, and they are separated by spiritual death of the sinful nature by baptism into Christ's death, and the rest of what's in Rom 6:4.

You may have mentioned once or twice in these 18 pages that you believe we die to sin but you haven't been saying much at all about it. It would appear not to be a favourite topic of yours.

Penalty of sin...: so you think sin has its own penalty? You just don't think God has his own for it, too? What is a holy God to do with justice then on judgement day?

I don't really care about Lucifer!!! That's God's own history, and your favourite quotes merely say that God is fair - we aren't told, and we don't need to know, about what sacrifice would have been offered for Lucifer had he chosen to repent: What of my question a little while ago, on this thread, of what Michael is and why? We know who he is...: the pre-incarnate Son of God, but what is he, etc?

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113920
05/31/09 06:36 PM
05/31/09 06:36 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
You may not rely purely on officially voted statements for your church beliefs, Tom, as that is completely vague. These are the excerpts I quoted.
Quote:
For a loving God to maintain his justice and righteousness, the atoning death of Jesus Christ became "a moral and legal necessity". God's "justice requires that sin be carried to judgement. God must therefore execute judgement on sin and thus on the sinner. In this execution the Son of God took our place, the sinner's place, according to the will of God. The atonement was necessary because man stood under the righteous wrath of God. Herein lies the heart of the gospel of forgiveness of sin and the mystery of the cross of Christ: Christ's perfect righteousness adequately satisfied divine justice, and God is willing to accept Christ's self-sacrifice in place of man's death". p.111

Quote:
The text (Rom 3:25) reveals that "God in his merciful will presented Christ as the propitiation to his holy wrath on human guilt because he accepted Christ as man's representative and the divine subsitute to receive his judgement on sin". From the SDABC (All quotes, here from LaRondelle's Christ our Salvation, p.25&26)

A church and Bible belief isn't defined till it is spelled out, in the chapter itself: it is a little inadequate to agree with the voted statement but not dare open the chapter to examine the rest, as you have done consistently, on this thread! While we each differ with some details here and there, on belief No.9 you depart from the detail quite significantly, don't you? It doesn't matter how many theologians of the church, looking after a church or lecturing or both, share your view, the church is uncomfortable about them, last I heard.

I roped in "the church" at all, because, even without church approval, this forum prides itself in defending and upholding Adventist conservative theology. That does put you in a grey area, on this forum, and, in the meaning of the substitution of Christ, a theological visitor: Rodriguez' Bible answers in the Adventist World a little while ago on the meaning of Christ's death contrasted sharply, if only one or two critical points, with your preferred view.

I appreciate you're seeking to find support for your alternative round here, indeed now on your own thread - thank you! - but not everyone is aware of that. Also, MM couldn't get you to agree with the Rodriguez study mentioned above, so, on this forum you are a friend of Adventism on the atonement issue.

Oh, I've pasted those EGW quotes about legal requirements of Christ's death on to your atonement thread.

Last edited by Colin; 05/31/09 06:39 PM.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113921
05/31/09 06:38 PM
05/31/09 06:38 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
from the Christus Victor thread.
I guess a similar comment would apply to quote number three. I think discussing the Day of Atonement would merit a thread of its own. Obviously the application of Christ's blood is not literal; He didn't have a pail of blood in heaven.

why dont we take this as a legitimate question. it is only exaperating if we dont know how to answer it. but questions like this should drive us to prayer and study. if our position is right then we can only come to a deeper understanding of that position.

in the earthly sanctuary a victim was slain and the blood sprinkled.....obviously, as tom points out, our Messiah did not collect His own blood and take it to heaven....

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113922
05/31/09 06:43 PM
05/31/09 06:43 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Essentially - for Bible study, God's holy wrath against sin is in one word but not in the other. Also, both were viewed in Bible times as man appeasing his gods with bigger and bigger sacrifices, especially children - to the distate of many. Rom 3:25 says that God appeased his own wrath against sin by the sacrifice of his own Son - whom he raised up again from the dead, too!!! That would have rocked the known world! - if anyone was open to God's truth...Nowadays it's proportionally huge material sacrifices we compare God's gift to.

does that mean that God has the same kind of wrath as those invented gods? was God angry and ready to fly off in different directions, so-to-speak? what picture of God do we have in this particular picture?

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113924
05/31/09 06:56 PM
05/31/09 06:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
No, Tom, no need for sermon scripts for Rosangela to be right! Just the words and meanings of Dedication's Bible study, here!! It isn't news to you that your separate thread on atonement expresses a meaning of substitution quite different to the meaning presented by Dedication on her thread here, is it?! I think it's news to her.

This just agrees with what I said. If she wishes to assert that I don't agree with Christ's substitutionary death as she understands it, I'm the first to agree that I don't, nor did I claim to. This is very different than Rosagela's case, who did claim to agree with Prescott, which establishes my point.

Let's try putting the shoe on the other foot. Suppose I ask you, on the CV thread, I made the statement that you don't really believe in Christ's substitutionary death, because you disagree with the author. Would you agree to that?

Quote:
"Expiation" is in the voted statement and is indeed confusing without an accurate definition. The chapter itself notes all three words used in English Bibles: "atonement", "propitiation", "expiation". I think only the Handbook of SDA Theology actually attempts to try to sort them out - expiation and propitiation, but am not sure even that book fully succeeds.

Essentially - for Bible study, God's holy wrath against sin is in one word but not in the other. Also, both were viewed in Bible times as man appeasing his gods with bigger and bigger sacrifices, especially children - to the distaste of many. Rom 3:25 says that God appeased his own wrath against sin by the sacrifice of his own Son - whom he raised up again from the dead, too!!!

No it doesn't. I'll treat this in a separate post, but asserting this is doing some serious eisegesis.

I'll once again point out that the Eastern Orthodox church has never held this view. Why not? Because it severed from the Roman Catholic church before Anselm developed it. This isn't evidence, necessarily, that the idea isn't true, as God could have revealed a truth to Anslem that hadn't been seen before, but it is evidence that the idea was not believed at the time the Eastern Orthodox church split, which was in the eleventh century. The Eastern Orthodox church has argued that the church father's didn't teach this idea, because if they had, it would have been a part of their (the Eastern Orthodox church) beliefs.

Quote:
That would have rocked the known world! - if anyone was open to God's truth...Nowadays it's proportionally huge material sacrifices we compare God's gift to.

There's no evidence whatsoever that this verse was understood in this way, nor that this concept even existed at that time.

Quote:
There's nothing in your reply to me today that I could take as an answer to any of my questions

! Really? Let's take a look. You asked:

Quote:
Your understanding of substitution of Christ for us differs with us and the church on the penal judgement of sin issue, doesn't it?

to this I wrote:

Quote:
This is a cleverly phrased question. You are grouping "us" altogether as if you all believed the same thing, you being Dedication, the church, and yourself. But you don't. In particularly, *your* own beliefs are different from the church's, and different from Dedication's in two significant ways.

First of all, your understanding of Romans 5:12-18, which virtually all Bible scholars recognize as being one of the two key passages in regards to this topic (the other being Romans 3:21-26) is, it seems very likely to me, very different than D's. I would assume you would agree that the corporate aspect of justification is vital to the understanding of righteousness by faith and the atonement. So if you disagree on this vital area, you can hardly fairly group yourselves together, pitted against me. The irony is that my position on this subject is (likely) much closer to yours than yours is to D's.

I can't be 100% sure on this as D has not written at length on this subject, but I have gleaned this from certain of her responses. If I'm wrong on this, I would be delighted, but I believe if she wrote out her understanding of Romans 5:12-18, what you and I believe would be much closer than what you and she believe.

Secondly, your view of Christ is different. You don't see Christ as being fully God the way that Dedication and I do, and according to the official position of the church. Furthermore many would argue (and I'm guessing Dedication would as well) that if one does not hold to the idea that Christ is fully God (including His eternal pre-existence) that one is bound to reach wrong conclusions in regards to the atonement.

So you and she agree in regards to the aspects of the atonement Anselm and Calvin brought to the forefront (i.e. satisfaction and penal), you and I agree in regards to the corporate aspect of the atonement, and she and I agree in terms of Christ's needing to be fully God in order for the atonement to be effected. So we have a bit of a triangle here, with your position (specifically in regards to Christ's divinity) being the strongest outlier. There are many who work in our denomination as fully credentialed ministers who hold the views on the atonement that I hold. The same cannot be said regarding your positions.

I wouldn't bring this up at all if you didn't, as what the church organization does or does not do doesn't change truth, (which you yourself much recognize, or you wouldn't hold the positions on Christ's pre-existence that you do) but you keep bringing this up, which seems very odd, given that your positions are so out of step with the church's official position.

Finally, in regards to your assertion that my position differs with the penal judgment of sin issue of the church, the only official statement I'm aware of that the church has is Fundamental Belief #9, and I'm in agreement with that. Again, there are many fully credentialed ministers who hold the same view of the atonement that I hold.

Now how can you assert that this does not answer your question?

I'll continue later.

Page 19 of 30 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!