HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 30 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 29 30
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113937
05/31/09 08:16 PM
05/31/09 08:16 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Colin
I agree with all your texts, there, but was myself only dealing with our "old man" crucified in Christ, so we can be reborn of the Spirit, not so?

my point is that we can not do that. we can not deal with the "old man" dying without presenting the story of Christ first, otherwise who knows what the "old man" is or that it needs to die?

Quote:
that doesnt mean stating a fact, "Jesus was crucified for you", but "getting into it", going into detail about what Jesus suffered and how He responded. that shows us our lack!!

Yes, Sister! Amen.

Evangelism and preaching must cover that whole line of truth first, of course. Dedication has covered enough of that whole line of truth in her study here to make our "old man" known, hasn't she? It's just that Tom appears not to understand our "old man" dying in Christ, but why not is not yet clear, despite his great amount of study and research of Christian teachings.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113938
05/31/09 08:25 PM
05/31/09 08:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Your answer was anything and everything but an explanation of a difference with the penal substitution teaching held by our church behind its statement of belief.

I don't know what that is. I've repeatedly asked you to quote something. You referred to a post, but I couldn't find it. You didn't give a number. I don't think you have posted at the time I wrote this anyway.

I did the best I could with what I had to work with. I went to the official church web site, read our Fundamental Belief carefully, and found things in it with which you don't agree (name, Christ's being an "atonement for sin") but nothing with which I disagreed.

Certainly I answered your question, and did so to the best of my ability.

Quote:
Accepting a loose, vote statement of belief is nothing without its supplied detail.

I would say, on the contrary, the officially voted statement is *all* we can quote as the *official* position of the church. To go beyond that would be unwarranted, and I feel virtually positive that if you asked a church official about this, this is precisely the response you would get.

Quote:
On this specific belief you differ in the detail, and you didn't offer anything.

I did. I explained why your question was faulty (assuming you, Dedication and the church are all on the same page) and explained where you differ from Dedication, and where you differ from the church, as well as where you and Dedication agree.

Quote:
The detail in the chapter is recognized as church teaching, as the publication of beliefs was designed to be from the start.

I looked for some support of your assertion here, but couldn't find it. You really should heed my advice, Colin, and present some sort of evidence for the claims you make.

Quote:
Therefore, you didn't answer any of my questions; however, that topic is the heart of your own thread, so I'll it up with you there.

This makes me laugh out loud. I could see how you could think I didn't answer your questions to your satisfaction, but to assert that I didn't answer them at all is absurd. On the other hand, there are a number of posts on this thread that I've written that you haven't responded to in any way. This actually happens routinely. I normally just let this go, but it would be considerate on your part, given I've taken the time to respond to you, that you would do the same.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113940
05/31/09 08:33 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Yes, I expect we all agree that Christ's blood, symbolically charged as it is, is personified in his person. He pleads his own risen self for us, presenting his scared hands. That is I think the end of it, as I've heard nothing more substantial than that in my reading of our leading, conservative scholars.

Why would He have to plead anything to the Father? Does the Father need to be convinced of something? Is His memory faulty? I don't see how it could possibly make sense to take this literally.

The Melchisedek priesthood differs in personnel, place, sacrificial victim, and time from the Levitcal priesthood, not in purpose, or appointment or authority. I don't make a great thing of it, myself, on this point itself, but Christ is the veil opening the way to the throne room of God. He's likely sitting on his throne next to the Father's and mediating from that position, though by no means fixed there.

His blood is symbolic of his life which justifies our minds and sanctifies our characters, and his scarred hands are symbolic of our death in his death which is spoken of in Rom 7:1-6, particularly v.4. Yes, he pleads, for the devil hasn't given up his tirade yet...!

Altogether as informal as Jesus' life on earth: he is the same in heaven, our one mediator, the man Christ Jesus.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113941
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
I agree with all your texts, there, but was myself only dealing with our "old man" crucified in Christ, so we can be reborn of the Spirit, not so?

my point is that we can not do that. we can not deal with the "old man" dying without presenting the story of Christ first, otherwise who knows what the "old man" is or that it needs to die?

Quote:
that doesnt mean stating a fact, "Jesus was crucified for you", but "getting into it", going into detail about what Jesus suffered and how He responded. that shows us our lack!!

Yes, Sister! Amen.

Evangelism and preaching must cover that whole line of truth first, of course. Dedication has covered enough of that whole line of truth in her study here to make our "old man" known, hasn't she?

it is not in a form i recognize.
Quote:
It's just that Tom appears not to understand our "old man" dying in Christ, but why not is not yet clear, despite his great amount of study and research of Christian teachings.

you mean he sees it differently than you do, dont you? and that you dont agree, right?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113943
05/31/09 08:38 PM
05/31/09 08:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
It's just that Tom appears not to understand our "old man" dying in Christ, but why not is not yet clear, despite his great amount of study and research of Christian teachings.

I haven't commented on this. I've been busy responding to unfounded and unsubstantiated assertions that I don't believe this or I'm trashing the church position, or other rubbish. I would be more than happy (more than words can express!) to keep things on the level of discussing ideas.

Regarding our old man dying in Christ, I stated I agreed with what Waggoner said, which I'll quote here:

Quote:
"Our Old Man" Crucified. We shall be in the likeness of his resurrection. If we are crucified with Christ, our sins must also be crucified with Christ, for they are a part of us. Our sins were on him as he was crucified, so of course our sins are crucified if we are crucified with him.

But here is a difference between us and our sins when crucified. We are crucified in order that we may live again; our sins are crucified in order that they may be destroyed. Christ is not "the minister of sin" (Gal. 2:17). It was the life of God that raised him from the dead, and in that life there is no sin.

A Separation From Sin. The reader will notice that the separation from sin is in death. That is because death is in sin. "Sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." James 1:15. Therefore nothing less than death will effect a separation. We could not separate ourselves from sin, because sin was our very life. If it had been possible for us to effect the destruction of sin, it could have been only by the giving up of our lives, and that would have been the end of us. That is why there will be no future for the wicked who die in their sins; their life having been given up (or rather, taken from them), they are out of existence. But Christ had the power to lay down his life, and to take it again; and therefore when we lay down our lives in him, we are raised again by his endless life.

Remember that he does not give us our own life back again, but that he gives us his own life. In that life there never was a sin; and so it is that our crucifixion and resurrection with him is the separation of sin from us.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113947
05/31/09 10:26 PM
05/31/09 10:26 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

I haven't commented on this. I've been busy responding to unfounded and unsubstantiated assertions that I don't believe this or I'm trashing the church position, or other rubbish. I would be more than happy (more than words can express!) to keep things on the level of discussing ideas.

Regarding our old man dying in Christ, I stated I agreed with what Waggoner said, which I'll quote here:

Quote:
"Our Old Man" Crucified. We shall be in the likeness of his resurrection. If we are crucified with Christ, our sins must also be crucified with Christ, for they are a part of us. Our sins were on him as he was crucified, so of course our sins are crucified if we are crucified with him.

But here is a difference between us and our sins when crucified. We are crucified in order that we may live again; our sins are crucified in order that they may be destroyed. Christ is not "the minister of sin" (Gal. 2:17). It was the life of God that raised him from the dead, and in that life there is no sin.

A Separation From Sin. The reader will notice that the separation from sin is in death. That is because death is in sin. "Sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." James 1:15. Therefore nothing less than death will effect a separation. We could not separate ourselves from sin, because sin was our very life. If it had been possible for us to effect the destruction of sin, it could have been only by the giving up of our lives, and that would have been the end of us. That is why there will be no future for the wicked who die in their sins; their life having been given up (or rather, taken from them), they are out of existence. But Christ had the power to lay down his life, and to take it again; and therefore when we lay down our lives in him, we are raised again by his endless life.

Remember that he does not give us our own life back again, but that he gives us his own life. In that life there never was a sin; and so it is that our crucifixion and resurrection with him is the separation of sin from us.

Not sure am totally happy to read this: what was incomprehensible about Dedication and my statements on this very point that you found them "difficult to understand" since her study here started, and then you pop up with another quote saying it pretty much the same way, saying you agree with it.

Can you not understand how others say these truths apart from your favourite authors' turn of phrase?

Just re-read your post, Tom: NO YOU HAVE COMMENTED ON THIS BEFORE, saying to Dedication AND to me, time and time again, that you could not understand what we were saying, when we were plainly saying the very same thing you're quoting here from Waggoner. We're not fools to miss the same theme in our statements and your quote, here.

That you gave yourself an uphill ride on this thread and drove us two to threaten to discontinue a disinteresting merry-go-round you were taking us on for your failure to understand an essential truth no matter how we expressed it, appears to be down to you alone.

Just how&why you could not comprehend plain English from us, and then come flying out with joy that you can speak for yourself and reiterate precisely what the two of us have tried our utmost to express to you in words other than you would normally hear in an SDA sermon or book, leaves me with one conclusion. Your "difficulty" understanding us on this point isn't believable, now you've suddenly posted the very same point in virtually the same wording.

Your philosophising, for the sake of your Christus Victor theory, doesn't help.

There remains, ostensibly, still your view of the atonement...

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113948
05/31/09 10:59 PM
05/31/09 10:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Not sure am totally happy to read this: what was incomprehensible about Dedication and my statements on this very point that you found them "difficult to understand" since her study here started, and then you pop up with another quote saying it pretty much the same way, saying you agree with it.

You kept making claims that I never made about disagreeing with things. That's why I asked you to quote something. I kept telling you I hadn't disagreed with anything, but was asking for clarification. I've asked over and over for you to put things in a way I could understand what you were saying.

Quote:
Can you not understand how others say these truths apart from your favourite authors' turn of phrase?

Yes. I could understand how I would put them myself, and I feel confident I could communicate my thoughts to an intelligent child. I've asked you to do the same thing, to communicate things in a way that's easily understandable, without a bunch of theological jargon.

But if you agree with Waggoner, great! We can let bygones be bygones and just agree! smile

Regarding the rest of your post, you're still doing the same thing I've repeatedly asked you not do so. Presenting opinions with no quotes. If you want to me to comment on something I've said, please quote something!

Regarding your claim (shouting in bold and caps, no less!) that I hadn't comment on this before, in post #113729 I read:

Quote:
D:But you still leave out the fact that we are CREDITED with Christ's dying to our sins, and giving us His righteousness.

T:This is OK, but I understand this along the lines of what Waggoner explained...

I not only commented on this before, I specifically said I agreed with Waggoner!

Let's be more careful with our claims.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113964
06/01/09 04:58 AM
06/01/09 04:58 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
i put this here because the subject has come up, but if im hi-jacking the intent of this thread it can be moved. i believe there is an "atonement models" thread somewhere that i havent been able to find.

i have a question and i hope all answer-simply would be nice.

for those who believe in penal-substitution, do you believe that eternal death is the punishment for sins, or some kind of inflicted suffering before death?

if substitution alone is a belief would those who believe in it, please give their views.

im just trying to understand where everyone is coming from. i have no view, personally, other than what i understand the bible/sop to say, so im really not out to argue any theory over any other, tho i do have some questions regarding them.

also, since anselm started this whole track in the height of the papal supremacy is that something that should be taken into consideration? i mean the papacy thought they had the right to hurt people.....
Anselm of Canterbury (c. 1033 – 21 April 1109) was a Benedictine monk, an Italian medieval philosopher, theologian, and church official who held the office of Archbishop of Canterbury from 1093 to 1109.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113965
06/01/09 09:21 AM
06/01/09 09:21 AM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Personally I think we should stick mainly to the scriptures with some help from EGW, not go to Archbishops and "church fathers". I still don't know what Anselm taught, but if it meant he taught eternal punishment as in burning people in purgatory or hell, or the need to inflict punishment upon oneself or others in order to find forgiveness it's obviously WAY off anything I believe.

If this Anselm really understood the meaning of the substitutional death of Christ as dying the penalty demanded by God's law for our transgression of that law, and making atonement for us, and if this understanding greatly influenced the Catholic church -- they would NOT have opposed the reformation. They would not have been teaching that people need to go in purgatory in order for them to pay for their transgression, they would not have had people paying sums of money to pay for their transgressions etc. etc.

What brought on the reformation is that the Catholic church did NOT understand the substitutional death of Christ for sin, through which we have forgiveness of sins. They had a complex system of working to pay off ones sins.

No, then it obviously is not the true understanding. It's a corruption of the true.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: dedication] #113967
06/01/09 10:05 AM
06/01/09 10:05 AM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I wasn't going to answer -- but since sleep seems to evade me, I thought I'd add a couple comments.

What does it mean that Christ covers our sins with His blood.

Lev.17:14 "for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof:"

We know that as long as the blood is flowing in the veins there is life -- the blood taking oxygen and nurishment to cells.

But what happens when the blood is shed?
Life is lost.

Shedding of blood is giving up life.
Hebrews 9:22 "without shedding of blood is no remission. "

Our sins are covered because Christ gave up His life and shed His blood, --poured out His blood, gave up His life, for our sakes.
His death and shed blood is necessary for forgiveness of sin. It is what frees us from the guilt and condemnation of our transgressions.
The penalty IS PAID! for all who come to Christ.
Christ pleads (presents) His shed blood on our behalf.

But yes, we are also saved by His life -- His merits -- His perfect righteousness. The robe of His righteousness that makes perfect our obedience.

Romans 5:10 we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

It's both -- His death AND His life!

Originally Posted By: Bible
Lev. 14:4-9 Then shall the priest command to take for him that is to be cleansed two live, clean birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop:... one of the birds to be killed in an earthen vessel over running water:...As for the living bird, he shall take it, and the cedar wood, and the scarlet, and the hyssop, and shall dip them and the living bird in the blood of the bird that was killed over the running water:
...and shall let the living bird loose into the open field.

Originally Posted By: EGW comments on Lev. 14
The wonderful symbol of the living bird dipped in the blood of the bird slain and then set free to its joyous life, is to us the symbol of the atonement. There were death and life blended, presenting to the searcher for truth the hidden treasure, the union of the pardoning blood with the resurrection and life of our Redeemer. The bird slain was over living water; that flowing stream was a symbol of the ever flowing, ever cleansing efficacy of the blood of Christ, the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, the fountain that was open for Judah and Jerusalem, wherein they may wash and be clean from every stain of sin. We are to have free access to the atoning blood of Christ. This we must regard as the most precious privilege, the greatest blessing, ever granted to sinful man (Letter 87, 1894).

"And the soul who accepts the virtues of Christ's character and appropriates the merits of His life is as precious in the sight of God as is His own beloved Son. {CT 60.2}

"The sinner so recently dead in trespasses and sins is quickened by faith in Christ. He sees by faith that Jesus is his Saviour, and alive forevermore, able to save unto "the uttermost [all] that come unto God by Him." In the atonement made for him the believer sees such breadth and length and height and depth of efficiency--sees such completeness of salvation, purchased at such infinite cost, that his soul is filled with praise and thanksgiving. He sees as in a glass the glory of the Lord and is changed into the same image as by the Spirit of the Lord. He sees the robe of Christ's righteousness, woven in the loom of heaven, wrought by his obedience, and imputed to
the repenting soul through faith in His name. {FW 106.2}

All these things are not "either/or" but part of the WHOLE in Christ's marvelous plan of redemption.

Last edited by dedication; 06/01/09 10:16 AM.
Page 21 of 30 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!