HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 30 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 29 30
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113925
05/31/09 06:56 PM
05/31/09 06:56 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin

Oh dear! You're not familiar with this concept? You still having difficulty with this truth...Remember the Apostle Paul's mention of our "old man", our sinful nature, and that "we" are crucified in Christ's humanity? By faith we participate in that crucifixion..., remember? Christ's cross is where and how we die to sin, since he died for us, for sin and to sin, culminating a lifetime of obedience in rejection of sinfulness, which he'd assumed to be made flesh.

That's the only way to switch our minds from sin to agape, by our own choice and God's Spirit. Rom 4:25 says that justification follows dying for & to sin: they are separate worlds, sin and righteousness, and they are separated by spiritual death of the sinful nature by baptism into Christ's death, and the rest of what's in Rom 6:4.

if im understanding you correctly i have to so disagree!! and strongly. we dont take some bible verses and say we have died to sin!! we get the whole thought of the bible and the thought behind those verses and the verses that were left out, like this one:

Quote:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
that doesnt mean stating a fact, "Jesus was crucified for you", but "getting into it", going into detail about what Jesus suffered and how He responded. that shows us our lack!!

here is another one with the same points mentioned above:
Quote:
1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
1Co 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Quote:
You may have mentioned once or twice in these 18 pages that you believe we die to sin but you haven't been saying much at all about it. It would appear not to be a favourite topic of yours.
my personal observation is that whether a person believes in that or not is more evident in their behavior, their fruit, than what their mouth says or claims to believe.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113926
05/31/09 06:59 PM
05/31/09 06:59 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
from the Christus Victor thread.
Originally Posted By: Tom
I guess a similar comment would apply to quote number three. I think discussing the Day of Atonement would merit a thread of its own. Obviously the application of Christ's blood is not literal; He didn't have a pail of blood in heaven.

why dont we take this as a legitimate question. it is only exaperating if we dont know how to answer it. but questions like this should drive us to prayer and study. if our position is right then we can only come to a deeper understanding of that position.

in the earthly sanctuary a victim was slain and the blood sprinkled.....obviously, as tom points out, our Messiah did not collect His own blood and take it to heaven....

Yes, I expect we all agree that Christ's blood, symbolicly charged as it is, is personified in his person. He pleads his own risen self for us, presenting his scared hands. That is I think the end of it, as I've heard nothing more substantial than that in my reading of our leading, conservative scholars.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113928
05/31/09 07:09 PM
05/31/09 07:09 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Essentially - for Bible study, God's holy wrath against sin is in one word but not in the other. Also, both were viewed in Bible times as man appeasing his gods with bigger and bigger sacrifices, especially children - to the distate of many. Rom 3:25 says that God appeased his own wrath against sin by the sacrifice of his own Son - whom he raised up again from the dead, too!!! That would have rocked the known world! - if anyone was open to God's truth...Nowadays it's proportionally huge material sacrifices we compare God's gift to.

does that mean that God has the same kind of wrath as those invented gods? was God angry and ready to fly off in different directions, so-to-speak? what picture of God do we have in this particular picture?

Wasn't meaning a complete match between Jehovah and all those pieces of stone and other things: simply that sacrifice was understood by heathen religions as gods being appeased by man...

God's holy wrath is different to heathen gods: he acts graceously & mercifully, giving this whole world his only begotten Son as the atoning sacrifice for all men, to reconcile us to himself by Christ's death. God died for us, and his wrath against sin but not sinners doesn't change that.

How do you understand God's wrath against sin, or aren't you quite sure?

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113929
05/31/09 07:19 PM
05/31/09 07:19 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA

Oh dear! You're not familiar with this concept? You still having difficulty with this truth...Remember the Apostle Paul's mention of our "old man", our sinful nature, and that "we" are crucified in Christ's humanity? By faith we participate in that crucifixion..., remember? Christ's cross is where and how we die to sin, since he died for us, for sin and to sin, culminating a lifetime of obedience in rejection of sinfulness, which he'd assumed to be made flesh.

That's the only way to switch our minds from sin to agape, by our own choice and God's Spirit. Rom 4:25 says that justification follows dying for & to sin: they are separate worlds, sin and righteousness, and they are separated by spiritual death of the sinful nature by baptism into Christ's death, and the rest of what's in Rom 6:4.

if im understanding you correctly i have to so disagree!! and strongly. we dont take some bible verses and say we have died to sin!! we get the whole thought of the bible and the thought behind those verses and the verses that were left out, like this one:

Quote:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
that doesnt mean stating a fact, "Jesus was crucified for you", but "getting into it", going into detail about what Jesus suffered and how He responded. that shows us our lack!!

here is another one with the same points mentioned above:
Quote:
1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
1Co 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Quote:
You may have mentioned once or twice in these 18 pages that you believe we die to sin but you haven't been saying much at all about it. It would appear not to be a favourite topic of yours.
my personal observation is that whether a person believes in that or not is more evident in their behavior, their fruit, than what their mouth says or claims to believe.

Yes, I agree, Teresa, that surrendering to Christ is the response God seeks from us, having studied his Gospel and the Bible story altogether, too. Intellectual assent and "magic" pronouncements are off the menu!

Obedience to God is usually a visible thing, indeed, but preaching and teaching and sharing the truth of dying sin by faith in Christ's death supports that visible witness, doens't it?

Where did you think I was living off one verse of the Bible and a phrase here and there? I agree with all your texts, there, but was myself only dealing with our "old man" crucified in Christ, so we can be reborn of the Spirit, not so?

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113930
05/31/09 07:23 PM
05/31/09 07:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
My comment about SOP was that you weren't letting Dedication operate without it or without reference to it. This thread is a matter of Bible study, at her discretion, and you didn't notice that.

If she said somewhere that she didn't want the SOP used here, then I missed that, and apologize. Otherwise, quoting from the SOP is routine in this forum -- nearly everybody does it -- so I don't know why you would single me out.

Quote:
We keep returning to your difficulty with her sentence, because that sentence pervades her study. She didn't think you could possibly miss her point, so your "difficulty" understanding her, set off alarm bells. This issue can hopefully now be sorted out and clarified on the atonement thread you've started. Her study here is how we experience living faith, not the nature of the atonement.

I think my previous comment applies. You wrote:

Quote:
Her point that confused you is so obvious a point, and is understood using common sense in understanding the English language in ordinary usage, that your "problem" with it automatically raises questions of how you understand Christ's substitutionary death for us, if you don't discard - but you don't discard it - "substitution" completely. Thus, that you pick out that clause, and questioned repeatedly also its sentence, raised eye brows for Dedication and me.

to which I applied:

Quote:
This seems like an odd conclusion to jump to. Why not simply conclude that I missed something that was obvious? That sort of thing happens all the time. People misread things. Why not assume I did that?

I repeat this question.

Quote:
The study here is Rom 3,6,7 I think, not Rom 5. Differences in other areas, Tom, are of course for another thread: your position on Rom 6:4 is not well spelled out, to my recollection.

I didn't discuss Romans 6:4. You seem to be asserting that our understanding of Romans 5 isn't important to our understanding of Romans 3, 6, or 7. I don't see how that's possible. Is this really your position?

Quote:
C:Oh, yes, also: you agree then that our old man is crucified with Christ, so we can and do reckon and experience by faith our death to sin in Christ's death?

T:What does this mean? Please state the meaning in non-theological jargon, but simple language that anyone can understand.

C:Remember the Apostle Paul's mention of our "old man", our sinful nature, and that "we" are crucified in Christ's humanity? By faith we participate in that crucifixion..., remember? Christ's cross is where and how we die to sin, since he died for us, for sin and to sin, culminating a lifetime of obedience in rejection of sinfulness, which he'd assumed to be made flesh.

You haven't done what I asked. I don't think what you're saying is clear at all. So I'll just set out what I believe.

I believe that Christ revealed the love and character of the Father, above all, on the cross. I believe that the Holy Spirit uses this revelation of Christ to draw us to God, and that if we do not resist this drawing that we will be led to foot of the cross in repentance for our sins, and the Holy Spirit creates a new life in our soul. The law is written in our hearts and mind, meaning that we have been drawn into harmony with God and the principles of His government. Every thought is brought into captivity to Christ, meaning that we are dead to sin. Along with Christ we say, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God."

Quote:

I don't perceive their to be a difference between our dying to sin and our repenting of sin and accepting Christ. I've said quite a lot about that. To my mind, I have been dealing with this subject.

As far as I know, you haven't said what Christ's dying to sin means, despite my having asked you this question many times. I've said what I think it means, which is that He said no to temptation in all its forms, most clearly seen on the cross.

Quote:
Penalty of sin...: so you think sin has its own penalty?

I believe the penalty for sin is death.

Quote:
You just don't think God has his own for it, too?

I think you're idea doesn't make any sense. It unnecessarily redundant.

Quote:
This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

If the glory of God, which is His character, destroys the wicked, and this is what is entailed in their receiving the results of their own choice, how can it possibly make sense to say that their punishment is something in addition to this? Once they've been destroyed, that's the end of the story.

Quote:
What is a holy God to do with justice then on judgement day?

Just what DA 764 says.

Quote:
I don't really care about Lucifer!!! That's God's own history, and your favourite quotes merely say that God is fair - we aren't told, and we don't need to know, about what sacrifice would have been offered for Lucifer had he chosen to repent:

Yes we are. There wouldn't have been any. There would have been no need for any. DA 762, which I've quoted repeatedly, explains this. The condition for Lucifer's being pardon is exactly what she says it was; repentance and submission.

This isn't something unique to him, but is the same condition for us. The difference between Lucifer and ourselves is that he understood the character and love of God, while man did not. This is explained in DA 762. For convenience, I'll requote it:

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love.

Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God.
[quote]

[quote]What of my question a little while ago, on this thread, of what Michael is and why? We know who he is...: the pre-incarnate Son of God, but what is he, etc?

What post? You keep referring to things without providing a post #. I'm asking for the references, but you don't give them. If you'll provide them, I'll be glad to comment.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113932
05/31/09 07:33 PM
05/31/09 07:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Yes, I expect we all agree that Christ's blood, symbolically charged as it is, is personified in his person. He pleads his own risen self for us, presenting his scared hands. That is I think the end of it, as I've heard nothing more substantial than that in my reading of our leading, conservative scholars.

Why would He have to plead anything to the Father? Does the Father need to be convinced of something? Is His memory faulty? I don't see how it could possibly make sense to take this literally.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113933
05/31/09 07:51 PM
05/31/09 07:51 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
How do you understand God's wrath against sin, or aren't you quite sure?

you mean that God hates sin, hates it with a passion? that He hates all the pain and suffering we cause each other? that He hates, for one thing among many others, those babies dying every few minutes of every day from slow, painful starvation? that every fiber in His Being wants to end it, but His people arent ready for Him to come?

and so Jesus says, wait, Father........

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #113934
05/31/09 07:57 PM
05/31/09 07:57 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
I agree with all your texts, there, but was myself only dealing with our "old man" crucified in Christ, so we can be reborn of the Spirit, not so?

my point is that we can not do that. we can not deal with the "old man" dying without presenting the story of Christ first, otherwise who knows what the "old man" is or that it needs to die?

Quote:

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113935
05/31/09 08:12 PM
05/31/09 08:12 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
C: There's nothing in your reply to me today that I could take as an answer to any of my questions

T: ! Really? Let's take a look. You asked:

C: Your understanding of substitution of Christ for us differs with us and the church on the penal judgement of sin issue, doesn't it?

Your answer was anything and everything but an explanation of a difference with the penal substitution teaching held by our church behind its statement of belief. Accepting a loose, voted statement of belief is nothing without its supplied detail. On this specific belief you differ in the detail, and you didn't offer anything.

The detail in the chapter is recognised as church teaching, as the publication of beliefs was designed to be from the start.

Therefore, you didn't answer any of my questions; however, that topic is the heart of your own thread, so I'll it up with you there.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113936
05/31/09 08:14 PM
05/31/09 08:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
my point is that we can not do that. we can not deal with the "old man" dying without presenting the story of Christ first, otherwise who knows what the "old man" is or that it needs to die?

This brings up an interesting point. There's a book called "The Faith of Jesus" by Richard B. Hayes (which investigates how "tou pistou iesou" should be understood, whether "faith of Jesus" -- i.e. "Jesus' faith", or "faith in Jesus") where the author presents the point of view that the essential thing in Christian faith to Paul, and the other writers, was not certain theological points (the way Paul is usually discussed) but the story of Christ (the "faith of Jesus").

Page 20 of 30 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!