HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 30 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 29 30
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #114008
06/02/09 01:08 AM
06/02/09 01:08 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Colin
Quote:
maybe you misunderstood? smile the question was how does that one particular verse justify the conclusion made?

Right: Ja!

It's a little hidden...: look at v.18, as well, because...

so you are ageeing that we cannot come to that conclusion using that one particular verse?
Quote:
maybe you misunderstood? smile the question was how does that one particular verse justify the conclusion made?

Right: Ja!

It's a little hidden...: look at v.18, as well, because...

so you are ageeing that we cannot come to that conclusion using that one particular verse?

Best ask Dedication, too...: but I'd say we can actually, keeping other texts in mind - many angles involved; I noticed Dedication was covering several aspects of truth using key texts, but not every text one could mention.

Rom 5:12 is [i]full[/i[ of meaning: It's all in that verse - even the detail of v.18, sinned in the beginning, and death sentence for sinning, including all men & women of Adam's race. Doesn't say anything about grace and God's gift, but that's for other verses, of course.

Maybe this discussion of ours will draw her back in to this thread more than once a week. smile

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Aaron] #114009
06/02/09 01:33 AM
06/02/09 01:33 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Aaron
Did Christ die the first or second death? Also if Christ had to die so God could forgive us then why could it not have happened when He was a baby? Why not just let Herod kill Him and get it over with? If someone starts telling you adulterous lies about your spouse, and you believe those lies, you might begin to mistrust your spouse even though they never did anything wrong. If you believe the lies to the point where you end up in the arms of someone else it could so happen that this person has HIV and you are infected. So now put your self in the place of your spouse because thats where God is. He has done nothing wrong and now you are terminal. Should He say "well you broke the vow now justice demand that I shoot you?" He has done nothing wrong but lies believed have led to behavior that results in death. With Sin it is always like this. When its said that God's justice demands death then some people who believe that God is love have problems with this tension. Did God send Jesus to die in order to save us from God's wrath?

Fine questions!

The cross - if needed as you ask - followed 33 odd years because Jesus had to earn his resurrection: Rom 4:25 says his death and his resurrection serve two different functions in the gospel, and at least the second wouldn't be fulfilled by his actions had he died as a newborn baby.

He died the 2nd death, as Heb 2:9 specifies, as all men die their own 1st death, except for however many live to see him come while waiting for him.

Your illustration of deception killing isn't scientifically premised, unfortunately. HIV needs an awful lot of extra toxic interference internally to produce lethal weakness, so there's no direct link between that label and death following. It's our choices about grace that determine our fate, as Jesus said in Jn 3 about not believing him and being condemned by that choice, not our choices for sin. Grace and law work hand in hand, the former to the standards of the latter (Rom 3:21b) - exclusion from the Lamb's book of life involves not taking both on board, in Christ.

Yes, failing to see the Biblical God as both just and merciful leaves unbearable tensions instead of legitimate tensions: we are created in Adam in God's image (our parents pro-create us), so we can bear right tensions. God gave Jesus to suffer his wrath for us (sorry, I refer Jn 3:16's word; but you're welcome!), so we can obtain Jesus' glory with his righteousness (2 Thes 2:14) - there's no escape from justice without merciful & graceous reformation to perfection.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #114010
06/02/09 01:43 AM
06/02/09 01:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Ezek 18:20 "The soul that sinneth, it shall die." That isn't talking about natural results of sin - the context is talking about suffering guilt and judgement for one's own actions.

I don't see how one can think that suffering guilt is not a natural result of sin.

Quote:
Is God right to judge the unrepentant and destroy them in the day of judgement? That, I would say, is our holy God's personal priviledge, having given his only begotten Son for this sinful world.

Everything that Christ taught and lived shows that God wouldn't take such a privilege. The fact that He gave His Son shows this. It was God's privilege to have Adam and Eve die for what they did, and have the race die with them. He could have just created two new humans. But God so loved the world, He gave His Son instead. Certainly judging is a personal privilege, but it's not one He takes.

Quote:
For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:(John 5:22)

And Christ doesn't take the privilege either, also denying that He will judge anyone.

Quote:
Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. (John 8:15)

Also

Quote:
47And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 48He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.(John 12:47, 48)

Jesus says that He will not judge, but His words will judge. What does this mean? It means that He spoke the truth. He warned His listeners of the perils of following sin, of rejecting Him, in whom alone one can find life and light. If one rejects life and light what is left but death and darkness? Why? Because He does something to inflict death or darkness upon those who reject life and light? No, but because without life and light, there is nothing left but death and darkness.

The whole idea that God has to take arbitrary action to punish sin is predicated on the idea that sin, of itself, is not powerful enough to destroy those who practice it. Jesus' whole life (and death) reveals the falsehood of this idea. Jesus judged Satan, and sin, by unmasking him, and it, showing him, and it, to be what he/it really is; a liar and murderer and a thief from the beginning.

Quote:
We can't do both at the same time, especially as the ordinary meaning of "ransom" and "substitution" is what we know to be the truth. Let those who disagree do so elsewhere!

Let those who do not wish to be disagreed with, do so elsewhere! If you're going to post something on a topic, it's axiomatic that it one can disagree with it or comment on it.

"Ransom" (I assume you have in mind its use in Scripture here) means "the price for redeeming a slave." "Substitution" isn't in the Greek, but is an English word meaning:

Quote:
The act, process, or result of substituting one thing for another

Since this uses the word "subsituting" as a part of its definition, the definition for substitute will be mentioned as well:

Quote:
to take the place of

So to say that Christ was our substitution means that He took our place.

Just for the record, I agree both of these words should be understood according to their normal, everyday meaning.

Quote:
While Tom waits to philosophise, Teresa, and in anticipation of your own thoughts.

I don't know if you meant this as a derogatory comment, or it was just a jest in fun. If it's the latter, that's fine with me, but including a smiley face would help communicate that. If it's the former, please stop.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #114011
06/02/09 01:46 AM
06/02/09 01:46 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Amen, Amen & again: Amen!!!

That penalty which he absorbed for me, too, is God's judgement on sin, not sin's own fruits, from whichever quarter.

Jesus himself wasn't perturbed by the conspiracy of the Sanhedrin against him - he forgave even the Roman soldiers, who knew not what they were doing: He was anxious about being cut off from his holy Father, at whose will he, the Son of God, was dying, having submitted to God's will in Gethsemane.

so separation- possibly eternal- from the Father was the "penalty"?

if adam and eve had never sinned and had no access to the tree of life would they have died?

Sure..., Jesus tasted eternal separation for only "three days", but it was effectively eternal separation, as he died without assurance from and of his Father's Spirit (it having been withdrawn from him) that he would be raised from the dead: he didn't have Abraham's luxury about Isaac... SOP says he couldn't see through the portals of the tomb. Sorry if this is too obvious.... blush

The meted out penalty for sin, yes: God doesn't leave such matters of divine justice to natural, sinful forces! He's very business is eradicating precisely that natural, sinful phenomenon!! - when the time to do so is perfect, in his will.

Thus judgement day itself, just like the 2nd Coming for his people who shall then be ready for heavenly society, shall be when those it's meant for - in each case! - are ready for it. God is both Creator, Saviour and Judge of all the earth. There's nothing coincidental with him; that includes his knowledge of the definite future - not merely all the possibilities: he sees past our weighing up of options! I don't know how: he's God, not me!!

If Adam and Eve hadn't fallen but hadn't eaten of the tree of life....: yes, since we are still yet, after putting on incorruption, gifted immortality without being naturally immortal, eating of the tree of life is necessary, on the new earth, too, of course, to live eternally: the provision will be there for all of us and the provision was there for them, originally, so it's needed: however, that's a logical deduction, and I don't like such reasoning....reality gets lost somewhere!

Essentially, God alone is immortal, throughout the universe, but there is no death except here...: creatures are given immortality by God, and the only way to die wouldn't just be not to eat of the tree of life - I reckon every unspoiled world God has created has such a tree, but only ours had a testing tree, as Satan fell from heaven to earth itself only like a bolt of lightning, remember. It would be God's judgement of death on not believing his promise & provision of the tree of life for to eat to live forever that would bring death, not by itself not eating of the tree of life.

Once we get there, that option just wouldn't appeal to us, would it, nor would it have appealed to Adam and Eve, right?

Last edited by Colin; 06/02/09 01:57 AM.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114012
06/02/09 01:51 AM
06/02/09 01:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Just a couple of quick comments:

Quote:
The cross - if needed as you ask - followed 33 odd years because Jesus had to earn his resurrection: Rom 4:25 says his death and his resurrection serve two different functions in the gospel, and at least the second wouldn't be fulfilled by his actions had he died as a newborn baby.

If He had died as a newborn baby, He would have been resurrected as a newborn baby, of course, so Rom. 4:25 could have been fulfilled. One doesn't have to be 33 years old to be resurrected.

Quote:
Your illustration of deception killing isn't scientifically premised, unfortunately. HIV needs an awful lot of extra toxic interference internally to produce lethal weakness, so there's no direct link between that label and death following.

What does this have to do with anything?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114013
06/02/09 01:56 AM
06/02/09 01:56 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
(Christ) died without assurance from and of his Father's Spirit (it having been withdrawn from him)..

By "his Father's Spirit" do you mean the Holy Spirit, or something else?

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #114016
06/02/09 02:57 AM
06/02/09 02:57 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
It's our choices about grace that determine our fate, as Jesus said in Jn 3 about not believing him and being condemned by that choice, not our choices for sin.

how do you understand being "condemned" in that passage?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #114017
06/02/09 03:10 AM
06/02/09 03:10 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
It would be God's judgement of death on not believing his promise & provision of the tree of life for to eat to live forever that would bring death, not by itself not eating of the tree of life.

where does the bible say "God's judgement of death"?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114018
06/02/09 03:20 AM
06/02/09 03:20 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Guilt is a legal experience and fact. God arouses it having published his law for us to recognise our sin, etc., or are you allowing for this within your natural environment of this sinful world?
Quote:
Is God right to judge the unrepentant and destroy them in the day of judgement? That, I would say, is our holy God's personal priviledge, having given his only begotten Son for this sinful world.

Everything that Christ taught and lived shows that God wouldn't take such a privilege. The fact that He gave His Son shows this. It was God's privilege to have Adam and Eve die for what they did, and have the race die with them. He could have just created two new humans. But God so loved the world, He gave His Son instead. Certainly judging is a personal privilege, but it's not one He takes.

That you can even suggest destroying Adam and Eve for falling into sin as a priviledge for God, shows - how else can I read your plain statement?! whatever else you suggest in that quote - that you have no idea what God is like and how he judges the earth!!... shocked Then you forget (I speak mildly) that our God is both a graceous God, long suffering and so on, but also "by no means clearing the guilty" - doubtless those without contrite, blood sacrifice (I'll address Ps 51 elsewhere), as he instituted for forgiveness, and offers first at the start of v.7: Ex 34:6&7....

If judging is a priviledge that God foregoes, then there is no Biblical reason or basis of any type for the Seventh-day Adventist Church to have survived the Great Disappointment and hold its beliefs in 1844. Then we are guilty of the greatest face-saving device in the history of Christendom! That was the scoff of the questioners behind Questions on Doctrine, of course.

OF COURSE GOD JUDGES ALL MEN, quite actively, with grace, mercy, and then, after salvivic grace but with graceous meting out of eternal, proportional punishment, also with holy justice. God decides when the wicked individually perish!

Jesus' words are the basis itself of judgement, since the Gospel is preached since his Ascension using his very own words to build and sustain his body on earth. If you want texts that God shall judge the wicked with fire, I'll dig them out, starting with Rev 20:4,9,10 and the whole chapter, really. Angels and men are all in there, and judges are active in heaven, with authority of God, Jesus himself having judged his own people beforehand... That's holy justice.

God punishes sin because he is more powerful than sin. There has been a great controversy, remember??? The power of love wins on the day of judgement - conclusively, but that means it's then the day of judgement in holiness & justice! Because of rejected grace the wicked, angels and men alike, stand condemned under God's own justice - on Jesus' own words of Jn 3:18 (v.19-21 are the basis for judgement (Rev 20:13) not an individually (of sin or holiness) self-imposed judgement!!), so he judges them according to his wrath and holiness and law - the law Lucifer rejected.

On disagreeing that ransom means giving his life to release us from guilt so we may legally be forgiven - you see no legal warrant there, and that substitution means substituting his life for ours under judgement of eternal death, the curse of the law - you see it's purely the natural end of sin itself, there's another thread for that, just not this one.

NO, Tom, the "ordinary" meaning I referred to for those words is not the ordinary, everyday, dictionary definition, since they are used as faith terms here and have a Biblical meaning as the SDA church officially teaches them, and we're trying to understand and study them, on this thread. YOu don't give them the same faith meanings, as our moderator for this thread has quietly pointed out, too, so your use of them is not agreeable, here. Maybe someone might yet agree with your use and meaning of them, on your atonement thread: there you can have disagreements aplenty!

Our official beliefs are begun by voted statements, but the whole book is the whole teaching of the church, and the church position. Theologians allow themselves wiggle room with individual's books, but the FBs book is official, and the members know that, as well. They use the whole books, also the SDABC Vol.12 (which the scholars can't wiggle round as unofficial!). On the atonement teaching..., you have your thread, and it's not the same as the church belief on ransom, substitution or the meaning itself of Christ's death. Good luck with it!

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114020
06/02/09 03:29 AM
06/02/09 03:29 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
Quote:

If He had died as a newborn baby, He would have been resurrected as a newborn baby, of course, so Rom. 4:25 could have been fulfilled. One doesn't have to be 33 years old to be resurrected.

This nonsense I must correct: sorry, Tom, you're being silly, if you haven't actually totally missed the point in your logical path past salvation reality.

Jesus told his mother to stop pushing his mission along, at the wedding at Cana, as "my time has not yet come". He wasn't ready to lay down his life as a baby since he hadn't built his character merits for our justification of mind and pardon for past sins.

It was his righteousness by faith life story which fulfilled every aspect of the cross of Christ necessary for him to be Saviour of the world. Critically, sinful flesh and meritorious righteousness had to combine in the Lamb of God's death, and God's timing on that was perfect, as it was also for picking Mary herself to be his mother.

Page 24 of 30 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!