HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
Re: Immortality and Jesus Death on the Cross & Jesus Divine Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #114339
06/07/09 09:18 PM
06/07/09 09:18 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
So Jones did say it, but is it really the context of the passage?
Or did he skip around to come to his own conclusions and give a nice spiritual message quite apart from what the text was actually saying?

Let's just stick to the text itself:

2:11 Wherefore remember, that you (the Ephesians) being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, (what was the problem? they were Gentiles) who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; (who was excluding them? The Circumcision in the flesh which refers to the Jewish nation who saw this ritual as their key to acceptance with God)
2:12 That at that time you (Who is he addressing again? He was addressing the Ephesian Gentiles) were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, (what were they aliens from? The commonwealth of Israel) and strangers from the covenants of promise, (who held the covenants of promise? The descendants of Abraham did) having no hope, and without God in the world: (without those covenants of promise what hope did they have?)
2:13 But now in Christ Jesus you who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. (Who was Paul addressing when he started this message? The Ephesian Gentiles)
2:14 For he is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of partition between us; (now is it correct to change the subject? The whole prelude was concerning the Gentiles and the commonwealth of Israel and how the "circumsion" refused to accept the "uncircumsion" into the covenant of promise. There was a huge wall that fenced in the Jews and kept the Gentles out -- Paul fights to pull down this wall all through his writings)
2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; (what was abolished? there was a whole ream of laws and regulations that kept the Jews away from the Gentiles. It was like a fence protecting the Jews from invasion from paganism, but Christ broke down that wall not to expose Jews to paganism but to share His gift of life with all.) for to make in himself of the two one new man, [so] making peace;
2:16 And that he might reconcile both unto God
(if this is talking about Christ's Divinity and humanity, why would Christ have to reconcile both to God?) in one body the church is the body, Christ is the head of the bodyby the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
2:17 And came and preached peace to you (Gentiles) which were afar off, and to them that were nigh (Jews) (He didn't come to preach to Christ's divine and human nature but to both Jews and Gentiles). 2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. (Through Christ both Jews and Gentiles have access to God's throne of grace! "BOTH" is not speaking of Christ's human and divine natures, but of the Jews and the Gentiles.)
3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Re: Immortality and Jesus Death on the Cross & Jesus Divine Nature on Earth [Re: dedication] #114341
06/07/09 09:42 PM
06/07/09 09:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

He (THE WORD, that was with God and was God, was made flesh) It's still the same GREAT PERSON, but He was made flesh.
Why?

Let's consider the text to answer this question:

Quote:
14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

15John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

16And of his fulnesss have all we received, and grace for grace.

17For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

18No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him. (John 1:14-18)

The answer to the question is given in verse 18. Christ became flesh in order to reveal God, whom no one has seen. That is, Christ became flesh to make the Father visible. (I hadn't thought of this before. Thanks for asking this question!)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Immortality and Jesus Death on the Cross & Jesus Divine Nature on Earth [Re: dedication] #114342
06/07/09 09:57 PM
06/07/09 09:57 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
instead of breaking this up and responding to each part i am going to colorcode.
Originally Posted By: dedication
I have no doubt whatsoever that death could not hold Jesus.
But had He sinned, death COULD have claimed Him.

I have no doubts whatsoever that He is the resurrection and life.
Coming out of the tomb, was a sure sign He had conquered death!

The question is --
was He really dead -- as in "thoughts perished, know not anything," -- The biblical discriptions of a person who is dead. Was He really dead?

I think this is what is troubling Elle --

This idea that only part of Him was dead, while another part was alive and conscious and capable of doing things. Like "two persons" in one body, the one dies with the body, while the other hovers above it waiting for the time of resurrection to arrive.
To raise oneself, one would have to be conscious would they not?

I think you are getting closer to an answer by saying Christ and the Father both had a part in the resurrection.
The Bible attributes the resurrection to BOTH, thus we should too.
Yes, they are "One" but that oneness is not a mathematical one, Christ is NOT the Father, and the Father is not Christ. Christ was dead in the tomb, while the Father was in heaven.
Somehow, the life within Christ, would have to be an unconsious power while He was dead, sort of like the life in a seed that has to be planted before it springs to life.

Thus when the Father called, the Father would have sparked the "life" slumbering in Christ, enabling Christ to take up Life again.

That it was a resurrection like no other is apparent.

Personally, I don't think it makes that big of a difference just how He arose.
What's important is that
Christ died for us, and He AROSE! and that ensures our resurrection.
yes, had Christ sinned death would have claimed Him. in what way did He conquer death? both the righteous as well as the lost will be resurrected, called by Christ Himself, so would that mean that both sets of people had conquered death? will we have conquered death? moses came out of the grave but he did not conquer death. Christ did.

this would seem to be a very valid point except that we are dealing with the concept of God here, something incomprehensible to us, so we stumble trying to be able to understand it. we cant. the Son of God and man became one, "blended", "combined". how that can be is incomprehensible.

how the Son of God, just as much deity as the Father is, could not sin, but yet as man could sin is incomprehensible, also. but we know that in order to save us somehow the two natures were combined, only someone Who was above the law and owed nothing to it could die for us. yet man had to live the law also, from birth through eternity, something we could not do. hence the God-man, two natures united, something only God could accomplish, which is beyond our comprehension, to state it mildly.

we know that Jesus was really dead but how His divinity did not die we cannot understand.

"one hovering above it", i guess would be a picture someone could come up with, but im not sure how.

im not sure how this plays into anything unless were dealing with trinitarianism somewhere here and i missed it.
the bible makes clear that their "Oneness" is in their love for each other and us, in their character.

that is a possiblity. this comes to mind, tho, Deu 29:29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

as well as,
2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

but this we can understand:
2Co 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Immortality and Jesus Death on the Cross & Jesus Divine Nature on Earth [Re: Rosangela] #114343
06/07/09 10:40 PM
06/07/09 10:40 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
So the rendering of this verse would be what?
I have authority to receive my life again?
I have authority to take my life again?
I have permission to receive my life again?
I have permission to take my life again?
The first and the third options, of course, do not make sense: authority or permission given by the Father to receive the life that the Father will give? The second and the fourth are possible, but then there is no way to escape the strength of the verb “to take.”
The verb "to take" in v. 18 is the same greek number 2983 as v. 17. So I don't understand what you mean.

Originally Posted By: Elle
The greek word for "I might take" is the same as "have I received"; see G2983 . So Christ laid down his life so he may receive it again. The Greek word "power" can mean power, but also can mean "authority" or "permission". Christ had permission to lay down His life so that He could receive it again from His Father.
Let me paraphrase John 10:17,18 this way:
17. "therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I [receive it again]G2983.
18. No man taketh it from me, because I lay down of myself. I have power(authority to lay it down, or have permission to lay down my life if I choose), so to choose to(instead of I have power) [receive it] G2983 again (instead of "might take it" again).

To make it simple, we all have a choice to lay down our life -- to let self die --just as Christ had the choice to lay down self daily and His life at the cross. We know if we die daily(self), Christ will live in us, just as His Father lived in Him. We do this daily and some of us maybe will be required to lay our life down facing persecution or just by serving Him in a ministering life. Just like Christ layed down His life for us all and knowing he would receive it back again. Christ made this principle very plain to all of us
Quote:
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

Quote:
Elle : Also, it would imply that we need to have the "power" to raise ourself up, as in the same like manner, we will ressurect as Christ did.
Rosangela: We will be raised in the same manner as Christ was. Agreed. But the point is, who will raise us? The Father or Christ?
Christ of course. Christ is subject to the Father and the Father raised Him. We are subject to Christ and Christ will raise us. There's order in the universe.
Quote:
1Cr 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
1Cr 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

Blessings
Re: Immortality and Jesus Death on the Cross & Jesus Divine Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #114344
06/07/09 11:01 PM
06/07/09 11:01 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom

The answer to the question is given in verse 18. Christ became flesh in order to reveal God, whom no one has seen. That is, Christ became flesh to make the Father visible. (I hadn't thought of this before. Thanks for asking this question!)

Yes, He became flesh to reveal God, He is God MANIFEST.
That has been His mission from the time the Godhead created intellegent beings. To mingle with the Created and show them God!

His name "Michael the archangel" is His name which shows Him at the head of the angelic hosts.

His name "Jesus the Christ or anointed One" is His name which shows Him at the head of the human race.

The truth that the Word, which is with God, and is God, "goes forth" to "manifest God" to His Created intelligent Beings, does not reduce what He is -- but rather shows us His work and how He adapts Himself to the Created beings in order to manifest God to them.

But he also became flesh so He could die. Because divinity cannot die, He took on flesh, mortality, so He could die.

Re: Immortality and Jesus Death on the Cross & Jesus Divine Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #114346
06/07/09 11:20 PM
06/07/09 11:20 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Teresa
Originally Posted By: dedication
The question is --
was He really dead -- as in "thoughts perished, know not anything," -- The biblical discriptions of a person who is dead. Was He really dead?

I think this is what is troubling Elle --

This idea that only part of Him was dead, while another part was alive and conscious and capable of doing things. Like "two persons" in one body, the one dies with the body, while the other hovers above it waiting for the time of resurrection to arrive.
To raise oneself, one would have to be conscious would they not?

"one hovering above it", i guess would be a picture someone could come up with, but im not sure how.

sorry if this has caused confusion.
The above was questioning, it's a "troubling" concept, not presenting my position.
In further posts I made it clear this is not what I believe.
I do not believe there were two "persons" living in one body. That one died, the other stayed alive.
But ONE PERSON -- the Word that became flesh. The Word that held both attributes within Himself --divine and human in one person.
Nor do I believe 1/2 of Christ was alive hovering over His dead body -- which sounds rather spiritist to me. I believe He was dead. Totally 100% unconscious.

Phil. 2 says He emptied Himself, took on the form of a servant, and being found in the form of a servant humbled himself to the death of the cross.

My statement which is closer to what I believe is:
"Somehow, the life within Christ, would have to be an unconsious power while He was dead, sort of like the life in a seed that has to be planted before it springs to life.
Thus when the Father called, the Father would have sparked the "life" slumbering in Christ, enabling Christ to take up Life again."

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by dedication; 06/07/09 11:23 PM. Reason: sentence structure correction
Re: Immortality and Jesus Death on the Cross & Jesus Divine Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #114350
06/08/09 12:05 AM
06/08/09 12:05 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
God makes one new man out of God and a man. And in Christ, God and man met so that they can be one.

Wow, Teresa: Amen!

Re: Immortality and Jesus Death on the Cross & Jesus Divine Nature on Earth [Re: Colin] #114351
06/08/09 12:07 AM
06/08/09 12:07 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Also, with Jesus deity not being perishable, it was given, by his death, to the human race as the life of our salvation. This gift from him of his own, "original, unborrowed, underived [life]" to us is the point Sister White was making in the Signs of the Times article of 1897 from which that famous list of 7 words found in DA. While Jesus defeated death as a man, our "everlasting life" of Jn 3:16 is thanks to Jesus' divine life - infinite and sharable with all, as he received it in the deity he and his Father possess (Jn 5:26): he received the body of the Son, being already the Word of God.
that absolutely floored me when i read that on the smyrna
site. that is a contradiction in terms if i ever heard it. smile

so, yes, 1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

but
1Ti 6:14 .... until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:...
1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

and we do receive eternal life,
Rom 2:7 to those, indeed, who in continuance of a good work, do seek glory, and honour, and incorruptibility--life age-during;

but to receive "original, unborrowed, underived life" is a pure contradiction. if we receive eternal life, it is not inherent in us as it is in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. when, and because, we receive it it cannot be original-it came from God, it will be borrowed from God, it will be derived from God.

all the unfallen beings have unoriginal, borrowed, and derived, life from God.

and that didnt touch on His deity being given to the human race.... eek wave

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Immortality and Jesus Death on the Cross & Jesus Divine Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #114352
06/08/09 12:24 AM
06/08/09 12:24 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: teresaq
we do receive eternal life,
Rom 2:7 to those, indeed, who in continuance of a good work, do seek glory, and honour, and incorruptibility--life age-during;

but to receive "original, unborrowed, underived life" is a pure contradiction. if we receive eternal life, it is not inherent in us as it is in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. when, and because, we receive it it cannot be original-it came from God, it will be borrowed from God, it will be derived from God.

all the unfallen beings have unoriginal, borrowed, and derived, life from God.

Well, I agree with your assessment. caution

But I'll say no more.

Re: Immortality and Jesus Death on the Cross & Jesus Divine Nature on Earth [Re: dedication] #114353
06/08/09 12:28 AM
06/08/09 12:28 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Thanks, Dedication, for helping me out here, as I didn't intend to cause any confusion: nor did I say what it appears you thought I said. smile

I agree with your studies wholeheartedly.

I wasn't saying divinity is a person, or humanity a person. I'm Colin and I'm a human being: my identity isn't my nature.

Christ's deity isn't his identity, it's just his nature: he is the Son of God, only begotten. He became flesh, for reasons of Jn 1 and Phil 2! He called himself the Son of man, and died as the Son of God in human flesh. His humanity is blended with his divinity - God alone knows how! - but his identities kept their individuality, didn't they?

His divine life he laid aside and it is our eternal life given by him to us: thus he fully died, the Son of God and man.

His identity as Michael the Archangel is another study, also for Tom, who hasn't answered my question to him about why God's Son is Michael, is head of the angels. I don't think it was just to mingle and present God to them.

Otherwise, your study on the Creator of the universe dying on the cross in human form, and being raised forever more in human form, is great.

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!