HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Strange and Unheard of Supposed Comments By Seventh-day Adventists [Re: Green Cochoa] #116658
07/26/09 12:30 AM
07/26/09 12:30 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:My problem with Paul is that I have met too many people who are sincerely convinced he is saying things which I do not believe he said.

Amen to this! I remember in our discussions on penal substitution, the most difficult passages of Paul are used to "prove" this doctrine. On just about any subject, whether the divinity or Christ, or the atonement, or whatever, one can "find" texts from Paul to "prove" your position.

I also think the way you put this here is good. It's not that Paul did anything wrong, but people twist Paul to fit their mode of thought.

Obviously Paul had much in his favor, however, or God would not have had so much of the New Testament come from Paul. He was a brilliant and thoroughly converted follower of Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Strange and Unheard of Supposed Comments By Seventh-day Adventists [Re: Green Cochoa] #116659
07/26/09 12:38 AM
07/26/09 12:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:I agree with the pastor(s) that Ratzlaff quoted as saying Paul has undermined the law. By his careless wording on this point, I believe Paul inadvertently did just that. For example, in the following statement, Paul omitted two words: "ye are not under the law." The omission of these two words, which would have cleared things up greatly, has caused the majority of our own Adventist pastors and members to misunderstand his meaning. Those words are "penalty of." Unfortunately, many are just too happy to throw out the law because of the imprecise wording here, in spite of the fact Paul also claims to "uphold the law."

I've been busy, and so have been "out of the loop" somewhat, so am catching up on this interesting thread. While I "Amened!" a comment earlier in this post, on this comment I feel constrained to point out I believe this point is highly unfair to Paul. The word "penalty" does not appear once in Scripture, hence it seems highly unfair to focus on Paul and criticize him for not using it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Strange and Unheard of Supposed Comments By Seventh-day Adventists [Re: Green Cochoa] #116660
07/26/09 12:59 AM
07/26/09 12:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Teresa:I'm glad to understand your point a little better....but spiritual things are spiritually understood comes to mind.

This thought came to my mind as well. It could be that the problem is not that Paul was imprecise, but that we are just too spiritually dull to understand his profound thoughts.

Re: Strange and Unheard of Supposed Comments By Seventh-day Adventists [Re: Tom] #116662
07/26/09 01:38 AM
07/26/09 01:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #116598, GC, it looks like you're not understanding what the Old Covenant is. Paul was right! In Galatians he writes:

Quote:
22For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

23But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

25For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

26But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. (Gal. 4)

The Old Covenant "gendereth to bondage." It is done away with whenever one believes in Christ. Ellen White makes that point clear here:

Quote:
The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Ezekiel 20:11; Leviticus 18:5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them." Deuteronomy 27:26. The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"--the promise of forgiveness of sins and of the grace of God to renew the heart and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law. "This shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts . . . . I will forgive their iniquity, and will remember their sin no more." Jeremiah 31:33, 34.

The same law that was engraved upon the tables of stone is written by the Holy Spirit upon the tables of the heart. Instead of going about to establish our own righteousness we accept the righteousness of Christ.(PP 372;emphasis mine)

Note the contrast. In the Old Covenant, the law is written upon tables of stone. In the New it's written upon the tables of the heart. In the Old, one goes about establishing one's own righteousness. In the New, one accepts the righteousness of Christ. The Old Covenant can't be done away with quick enough! We need the righteousness of Christ! Away with trying to establishing our righteousness!

It saddens me that there is so much confusion regarding the Covenants. Properly understood, Paul and EGW are in perfect harmony. Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
Night before last I was shown that evidences in regard to the covenants were clear and convincing. Yourself, Brother B, Brother C, and others are spending your investigative powers for naught to produce a position on the covenants to vary from the position that Brother [E. J.] Waggoner has presented.(1888 Mat. 604)

Quote:
Since I made the statement last Sabbath that the view of the covenants as it had been taught by Brother Waggoner was truth, it seems that great relief has come to many minds.(1888 Mat. 623)

So Waggoner's position is the "truth" and "clear" and "convincing." I agree! Waggoner has helped me tremendously in understanding the Covenants. Here's a gem from Waggoner on this subject:

Quote:
Note the statement which the apostle makes when speaking of the two women, Hagar and Sarah: "These are the two covenants." So then the two covenants existed in every essential particular in the days of Abraham. Even so they do to-day; for the Scripture says now as well as then, "Cast out the bondwoman and her son." We see then that the two covenants are not matters of time, but of condition. Let no one flatter himself that he can not be under the old covenant, because the time for that is passed. The time for that is passed only in the sense that "the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revelings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries." 1Pet.4:3.

Difference Between the Two.

The difference is just the difference between a freewoman and a slave. Hagar's children, no matter how many she might have had, would have been slaves, while those of Sarah would necessarily be free.

So the covenant from Sinai holds all who adhere to it in bondage "under the law;" while the covenant from above gives freedom, not freedom from obedience to the law, but freedom from disobedience to it. The freedom is not found away from the law, but in the law. Christ redeems from the curse, which is the transgression of the law. He redeems us from the curse, that the blessing may come on us; and the blessing is obedience to the law. "Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord." Ps.119:1. This blessedness is freedom. "I will walk at liberty; for I seek Thy precepts." Ps.119:45.

The difference between the two covenants may be put briefly thus: In the covenant from Sinai we ourselves have to do with the law alone, while in the covenant from above, we have the law in Christ. In the first instance it is death to us, since the law is sharper than any two-edged sword, and we are not able to handle it without fatal results; but in the second instance we have the law "in the hand of a Mediator." In the one case it is what we can do; in the other case it is what the Spirit of God can do. Bear in mind that there is not the slightest question in the whole Epistle to the Galatians as to whether or not the law should be kept. The only question is, How shall it be done? Is it to be our own doing, so that the reward shall not be of grace but of debt? or is it to be God working in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure? (The Glad Tidings; emphasis mine)

Waggoner's point is brilliant! The Covenants are not matters of time, but of condition. Most people interpret Paul as dealing with the Covenants as matters of time, which is why they confuse what Paul is saying. But Waggoner has it right, and has given us the key! The Covenants are not matters of time, but of condition.

Re: Strange and Unheard of Supposed Comments By Seventh-day Adventists [Re: Tom] #116666
07/26/09 02:12 AM
07/26/09 02:12 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

Most Adventists fail of understanding God's covenant properly. The "New Covenant" is just the same as the "New Commandment" which Jesus gave...neither one is "new" as some people try to say. It is "new" in that it is reiterated, renewed, for us. The "New Covenant" was present in the Old Testament as well the New Testament. Whenever people broke the covenant, God was willing to make it new for them.

Originally Posted By: Tom
Note the contrast. In the Old Covenant, the law is written upon tables of stone. In the New it's written upon the tables of the heart. In the Old, one goes about establishing one's own righteousness. In the New, one accepts the righteousness of Christ. The Old Covenant can't be done away with quick enough! We need the righteousness of Christ! Away with trying to establishing our righteousness!

Here's what God instructed the ancient Israelites:

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes. (Deuteronomy 11:18, KJV)

The two covenants are the same in content. They are different only in that the "Old Covenant" we broke. We needed a "better" one in the sense that we internalized it. That is represented in the "New Covenant" teaching. Notice what Mrs. White says about this here:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White (emphasis original)
Conditions of Salvation the Same

Under the new covenant, the conditions by which eternal life may be gained are the same as under the old. The conditions are, and ever have been, based on perfect obedience. Under the old covenant, there were many offenses of a daring, presumptuous character, for which there was no atonement specified by law. In the new and better covenant, Christ has fulfilled the law for the transgressors of law, if they receive Him by faith as a personal Saviour. "As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God" (John 1:12). Mercy and forgiveness are the reward of all who come to Christ trusting in His merits to take away their sins. We are cleansed from sin by the blood of Christ Jesus our Saviour. Letter 216, 1906, p. 2. (To "My Dear Brother in Christ Jesus," July 2, 1906.) {1MR 117.1}

There is one other difference that we might point out in the covenants: The first covenant was represented with the blood of sacrifices, but when Jesus became the True Sacrifice for us, sealing the Abrahamic Covenant, it was called the "New Covenant." This is more a matter of semantics than anything else, as the covenant itself remains the same, and those animals sacrifices were the types which pointed to Christ.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Strange and Unheard of Supposed Comments By Seventh-day Adventists [Re: Green Cochoa] #116682
07/26/09 03:20 AM
07/26/09 03:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The differences between the Covenants are made clear here:

Quote:
31Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. (Jer. 31)

The New Covenant involves the writing of the law in the heart. As the SOP puts it:

Quote:
The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Ezekiel 20:11; Leviticus 18:5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them." Deuteronomy 27:26. The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"--the promise of forgiveness of sins and of the grace of God to renew the heart and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law. "This shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts . . . . I will forgive their iniquity, and will remember their sin no more." Jeremiah 31:33, 34.

The same law that was engraved upon the tables of stone is written by the Holy Spirit upon the tables of the heart. Instead of going about to establish our own righteousness we accept the righteousness of Christ. (PP 372)

Here's the difference:

Old Covenant:We establish our own righteousness.
New Covenant:We accept the righteousness of Christ.

Instead of the law being written on tables of stone, it's written in the heart.

The key is what Waggoner pointed out, that the Covenants are not matters of time but of condition.

What happened at Sinai is that God offered the Israelites His Covenant, the New one, but rather than accept that, they initiated their own covenant, the Old one.

The following is from "The Glad Tidings". Since it's a long quote, I'll present it in regular text (instead of in a quote box)

"These Are the Two Covenants."

What are the two covenants?--The two women, Hagar and Sarah; for we read that Hagar is Mount Sinai, "which gendereth to bondage." That is, just as Hagar could not bring forth any other kind of children than slaves, so the law, even the law that God spoke from Sinai, can not beget freemen. It can do nothing but hold them in bondage. "The law worketh wrath:" "for by the law is the knowledge of sin." The same is true of the covenant from Sinai, for it consisted merely of the promise of the people to keep that law, and had, therefore, no more power to make them free than the law itself had,--no more power than they already had in their bondage. Nay, rather, it "gendered to bondage," since their making it was simply a promise to make themselves righteous by their own works, and man in himself is "without strength."

Consider the situation: The people were in the bondage of sin; they had no power to break their chains; but the speaking of the law made no change in their condition; it introduced no new feature. If a man is in prison for crime, you can not release him by reading the statutes to him. It was the law that put him there, and the reading of it to him only makes his captivity more painful.

"Then did not God Himself lead them into bondage?"--Not by any means; since He did not induce them to make that covenant at Sinai. Four hundred and thirty years before that time He had made a covenant with Abraham, which was sufficient for all purposes. That covenant was confirmed in Christ, and, therefore, was a covenant from above. See John 8:23. It promised righteousness as a free gift of God through faith, and it included all nations. All the miracles that God had wrought in delivering the children of Israel from Egyptian bondage were but demonstrations of His power to deliver them and us from the bondage of sin. Yes, the deliverance from Egypt was itself a demonstration not only of God's power, but also of His desire to lead them from the bondage of sin, that bondage in which the covenant from Sinai holds men, because Hagar, who is the covenant from Sinai, was an Egyptian. So when the people came to Sinai, God simply referred them to what He had already done, and then said, "Now therefore, if ye will obey My voice indeed, and keep My covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine." Ex.19:5. To what covenant did He refer?--Evidently to the one already in existence, His covenant with Abraham. If they would simply keep God's covenant, that is, God's promise,--keep the faith,--they would be a peculiar treasure unto God, for God, as the possessor of all the earth, was able to do with them all that He had promised. The fact that they in their self-sufficiency rashly took the whole responsibility upon themselves, does not prove that God led them into making that covenant, but the contrary. He was leading them out of bondage, not into it, and the apostle plainly tells us that covenant from Sinai was nothing but bondage.

Further, if the children of Israel who came out of Egypt had but walked "in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised" (Rom.4:12), the law would never have been spoken from Sinai; "for the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith" (Rom.4:13). Faith justifies, makes righteous; if the people had had Abraham's faith, they would have had the righteousness that he had; and then there would have been no occasion for the entering of the law, which was "spoken because of transgression." The law would have been in their hearts, and they would not have needed to be awakened by its thunders to a sense of their condition. God never expected, and does not now expect, that any person can get righteousness by the law proclaimed from Sinai; and everything connected with Sinai shows it. Yet the law is truth, and must be kept. God delivered the people from Egypt, "that they might observe His statutes, and keep His laws." Ps.105:45. We do not get life by keeping the commandments, but God gives us life in order that we may keep them.

Re: Strange and Unheard of Supposed Comments By Seventh-day Adventists [Re: Tom] #116684
07/26/09 03:29 AM
07/26/09 03:29 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

You and I may disagree on this. I don't pay much attention to extra-prophetic sources. If you want to convince me on this issue, the Bible and EGW are sufficient, and nothing more.

I do not agree with your summation of what the covenants were. In my understanding, the covenants were God's law, and His promise that "this do and ye shall live." God has promised His blessings when we obey. That is the Covenant. And it is Salvation as the ultimate blessing.

As I pointed out before, Ellen White says both covenants had the same requirements.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Strange and Unheard of Supposed Comments By Seventh-day Adventists [Re: Green Cochoa] #116685
07/26/09 03:34 AM
07/26/09 03:34 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
In other words, Tom, God is not our substitute in obedience. Jesus did not obey in our place, so that we do not have to. That is not what the new covenant is. Accepting Christ's righteousness means doing as He did--that is, surrendering our will to the Father and submitting to His authority by obedience to His law.

The Covenant still requires obedience to God's law as it always has. When we ask God to create in us a new heart, we renew our covenant with Him, and desire to obey Him more completely. This is the essence of the "New Covenant."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Strange and Unheard of Supposed Comments By Seventh-day Adventists [Re: Green Cochoa] #116702
07/26/09 03:01 PM
07/26/09 03:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:You and I may disagree on this. I don't pay much attention to extra-prophetic sources.

If a prophetic source points to an extra-prophetic one (as you call it) and one doesn't pay attention to that, then one is not paying attention to the prophetic source either. Also EGW used the term "prophets" in reference to Jones and Waggoner, if that makes any difference. I don't see why it should. She said over and over again that God used them to send light to us and we should heed that light. It seems to me that should be enough.

Anyway, regardless of who said what about whom, if one simply looks at the arguments Waggoner presents, I'm constrained to agree with Ellen White's evaluation of them (which evaluation *is* prophetic) that it is "truth" and "clear" and "convincing."

Quote:
I do not agree with your summation of what the covenants were. In my understanding, the covenants were God's law, and His promise that "this do and ye shall live." God has promised His blessings when we obey. That is the Covenant. And it is Salvation as the ultimate blessing.

As I pointed out before, Ellen White says both covenants had the same requirements.

I can't help but notice that your interpretation leads you to disagree with Paul and Ellen White, which I think should be seen as a warning sign that perhaps the view isn't correct. That you disagree with Paul, you've said yourself. It makes it challenging to demonstrate something is unScriptural if you're open to disagreeing with Scripture! I suppose I could try to show that Paul's view of the Covenants is correct by using some non-Pauline author, but, since Paul wrote far more on the subject than anyone else, that would be challenging. Also I don't know if it's OK to set some non-Pauline author aside as well.

Regarding Ellen White, as I pointed out, she endorsed Waggoner's view as "truth" and "clear" and "convincing." Here's another endorsement of hers on the subject:

Quote:
I have no brakes to put on now. I stand in perfect freedom, calling light, light, and darkness, darkness. I told them yesterday that the position of the covenants I believed as presented in my Volume I [Patriarchs and Prophets]. If that was Dr. Waggoner's position then he had the truth. We hope in God. (1888 Mat. 617)

Here she says that if Waggoner's position agreed with what she wrote in "Patriarchs and Prophets," then Waggoner had the truth. Shortly after then she identified Waggoner's position as the truth. Therefore it's not likely that Waggoner's position differs from hers, assuming we trust her ability to identify positions.

Re: Strange and Unheard of Supposed Comments By Seventh-day Adventists [Re: Tom] #116703
07/26/09 04:05 PM
07/26/09 04:05 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
GC:You and I may disagree on this. I don't pay much attention to extra-prophetic sources.

If a prophetic source points to an extra-prophetic one (as you call it) and one doesn't pay attention to that, then one is not paying attention to the prophetic source either. Also EGW used the term "prophets" in reference to Jones and Waggoner, if that makes any difference. I don't see why it should. She said over and over again that God used them to send light to us and we should heed that light. It seems to me that should be enough.

Anyway, regardless of who said what about whom, if one simply looks at the arguments Waggoner presents, I'm constrained to agree with Ellen White's evaluation of them (which evaluation *is* prophetic) that it is "truth" and "clear" and "convincing."

Quote:

I can't help but notice that your interpretation leads you to disagree with Paul and Ellen White, which I think should be seen as a warning sign that perhaps the view isn't correct. That you disagree with Paul, you've said yourself. It makes it challenging to demonstrate something is unScriptural if you're open to disagreeing with Scripture! I suppose I could try to show that Paul's view of the Covenants is correct by using some non-Pauline author, but, since Paul wrote far more on the subject than anyone else, that would be challenging. Also I don't know if it's OK to set some non-Pauline author aside as well.

Regarding Ellen White, as I pointed out, she endorsed Waggoner's view as "truth" and "clear" and "convincing." Here's another endorsement of hers on the subject:

Quote:
I have no brakes to put on now. I stand in perfect freedom, calling light, light, and darkness, darkness. I told them yesterday that the position of the covenants I believed as presented in my Volume I [Patriarchs and Prophets]. If that was Dr. Waggoner's position then he had the truth. We hope in God. (1888 Mat. 617)

Here she says that if Waggoner's position agreed with what she wrote in "Patriarchs and Prophets," then Waggoner had the truth. Shortly after then she identified Waggoner's position as the truth. Therefore it's not likely that Waggoner's position differs from hers, assuming we trust her ability to identify positions.

I am agreeing with Ellen White when she says both covenants had the same requirements, are you? I think you are the one in disagreement with her here. You are saying the covenants were different in their requirements. You try to tell me I am not accepting her writings, when in reality, it is the other way around.

Nor do I disagree with Paul. I disagree, perhaps, with your interpretation of Paul. In other words, I think you are the one disagreeing with Paul. smile

The quote you brought of Mrs. White's endorsement of Waggoner is rather vague, and I would feel on shaky ground to base my faith on it. First, she admits to not being fully apprised of Waggoner's position in saying "if that was Dr. Waggoner's position...." Secondly, she clearly states that she is giving her opinion here ("I believe"), and not a "thus saith the Lord." When she wrote her inspired books, she was not writing her opinions. However, the quote you brought here endorsing Waggoner was not from one of those books, though it did mention one of them. In other words, she is not saying "The Lord showed me Waggoner held the correct position relative to the Covenants." If she did, I would most certainly accept it.

Regarding the 1888 Message, for which Jones and Waggoner were largely responsible, and of which Mrs. White has also written much, Clifford Goldstein wrote the following, published in the Adventist Review:
Originally Posted By: Clifford Goldstein
While reading the four-volume Ellen G. White 1888 Materials, I noticed a sharp contrast between Ellen White's theology regarding 1888 and the so-called 1888 message. Almost nothing in this compilation (or, in fact, in any of her writing) expresses what some claim Jones and Waggoner had taught at the 1888 General Conference session. Because Ellen White claimed that she had been teaching for "forty-five years" (Manuscript Releases, vol. 1, p. 142) the same message as Jones and Waggoner presented at that session, the absence of "1888 message" theology in her writings reveals that whatever was preached in 1888, it wasn't the "1888 message."

Lest you misunderstand what he is saying, you can here read the full article.

However, the basic implication is that there is a lot of common ideas held about what the 1888 message was all about that are not what Ellen White perceived as the message of that time. From this, we might also conclude that not all of Waggoner's ideas matched hers. While she undoubtedly endorsed some, it does not mean she endorsed every word the man uttered, anymore than she endorsed everything that Uriah Smith wrote.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!