HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #112363
04/28/09 06:37 PM
04/28/09 06:37 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Arnold and Tom, Everything you are talking about is very interesting and important, however, it is off topic. topic

I was hoping that it was just a side discussion, however, after 3 pages, is it possible to conclude or bring this in the other threads that's already covering this?

=======
Admin hat on
This post came from the old thread. This is now the correct thread for discussing this.
Admin hat off
=======

Last edited by asygo; 07/29/09 06:32 AM. Reason: changed title
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #112364
04/28/09 06:52 PM
04/28/09 06:52 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
If you wish. But it is this inability or refusal to look at it in a different way that keeps you thinking that your way is the only way. Anyway...

I was summarizing what I myself wrote. I was thinking a summary that bore reasonableness to my intent would be a good thing to strive for ("bore reasonableness" has an interesting ring to it).

Quote:
#2 is our big problem. #3 is what Jesus did instead. Jesus did not experience #2 while incarnate.

If Jesus did not experience #2, then how could it be said that He endured every trial we have to endure?

Quote:
What is so exciting about #2 that we love to do it? Because it puts us in the driver's seat. We call the shots. In short, we say to ourselves, "I will be like the Most High."

Christ's experience was the opposite. He WAS the Most High. He could call the shots and do a good job at it. But His challenge was to NOT call the shots, and submit everything to His Father.

I don't understand why this would be a problem for Jesus. Could you explain this? I mean, given your presuppositions, why would this be in the least bit difficult for Him?

Quote:
Even by your own summary, it is apparent that what we face is not exactly what Jesus faced. Can you see that yet?

What I've said is that Christ took our fallen nature to endure every trial that we are subject to. Why are you asking me if something is apparent that I've not claimed? And you ask "Can you see that yet"? That's clever. "Yet". As if this has been going on for awhile.

Quote:
Again, defective character vs. fallen nature. Are those the same problem?

I don't understand why you're asking this question. Could you quote something by Jones or Fifield or Prescott or Waggoner to which this would pertain?

Quote:
To survive, we have to overcome our defective characters. Did Jesus have a defective character to overcome?

Same question. What's your logic here? If Christ didn't have a defective character, then He couldn't have taken our fallen nature?

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #112366
04/28/09 07:46 PM
04/28/09 07:46 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom

4.To overcome He had to confront and overcome the same fallen nature that we do.

From the SOP:

Quote:
As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Heb. 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject. And He exercised in His own behalf no power that is not freely offered to us. As man, He met temptation, and overcame in the strength given Him from God. He says, "I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Ps. 40:8. As He went about doing good, and healing all who were afflicted by Satan, He made plain to men the character of God's law and the nature of His service. His life testifies that it is possible for us also to obey the law of God. (DA 24)

i read the above more inline with the following and many more such statements.
Quote:
Through all our trials we have a never-failing Helper. He does not leave us alone to struggle with temptation, to battle with evil, and be finally crushed with burdens and sorrow. Though now He is hidden from mortal sight, the ear of faith can hear His voice saying, Fear not; I am with you. "I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore." Revelation 1:18. I have endured your sorrows, experienced your struggles, encountered your temptations. I know your tears; I also have wept. The griefs that lie too deep to be breathed into any human ear, I know. Think not that you are desolate and forsaken. Though your pain touch no responsive chord in any heart on earth, look unto Me, and live. "The mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but My kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of My peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee." Isaiah 54:10. {DA 483.1}

the concentration seems to be only on temptations and ignoring what, to me, the messenger of the Lord seems to be concentrating on in the da. Christ was born in poverty as many are. He suffered hunger as many do. He endured heat and cold as many do, and on and on. He was perfectly human in that regard, and can understand why we would want relief.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #112370
04/28/09 09:18 PM
04/28/09 09:18 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Arnold, Tom, and Teresa, You guys are off topic. There's two threads regarding Jesus human nature, here we are talking about his divine nature on earth.

Maybe, if Daryl thinks its appropriate, could move these 4 pages to another thread.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Elle] #112371
04/28/09 09:47 PM
04/28/09 09:47 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
sorry, elle. we certainly arent discussing what you intended for this thread, are we?

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #112372
04/28/09 09:50 PM
04/28/09 09:50 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In response to #112366:

Here's the DA 24 quote:

Quote:
As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Heb. 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject.

From this we see:

1.Christ came to give us an example of obedience.
2.To do so, He took our nature, as per Heb. 2:17.
3.If we have to bear *anything* which Christ did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us.
4.Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are."
5.He endured *every* trial to which we are subject.

Now unless being poor, or hungry, or tired are the only trials we are subject too, this can't be all that Christ endured. She said "If we have to bear *anything* which Christ did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us, and then she said again, "He endured *every* trial to which we are subject." DA 483 is an example of some trials Christ endured, but there's no reason to limit the "every trial" of DA 24 to only that.

Since Christ endured "every trial" we have to endure, to limit Christ's trials to poverty, fatigue and hunger is to limit our trials to these same things.

In addition, the SOP tells us our greatest trials, or temptations, come from within. So how can one say that Christ endured *every* trial we have to endure if He didn't even endure the one temptation which is most difficult for us?

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #112373
04/28/09 09:52 PM
04/28/09 09:52 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Maybe, if Daryl thinks its appropriate, could move these 4 pages to another thread.

Sounds good.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Elle] #112378
04/29/09 12:19 AM
04/29/09 12:19 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Elle
Arnold, Tom, and Teresa, You guys are off topic. There's two threads regarding Jesus human nature, here we are talking about his divine nature on earth.

Is there a "bad mod" icon? The one participating here has been *causing* the problem. sorry

Since I don't have time right now for much more than drive-by postings, I'll let Daryl put on the admin hat, if he'll be gracious enough to straighten out our mess. pray

But just so we're clear, Tom started it..... wink

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #112384
04/29/09 02:17 AM
04/29/09 02:17 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
In response to #112366:

Here's the DA 24 quote:

Quote:
As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Heb. 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject.

From this we see:

1.Christ came to give us an example of obedience.
2.To do so, He took our nature, as per Heb. 2:17.
3.If we have to bear *anything* which Christ did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us.
4.Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are."
5.He endured *every* trial to which we are subject.

Now unless being poor, or hungry, or tired are the only trials we are subject too, this can't be all that Christ endured. She said "If we have to bear *anything* which Christ did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us, and then she said again, "He endured *every* trial to which we are subject." DA 483 is an example of some trials Christ endured, but there's no reason to limit the "every trial" of DA 24 to only that.

Since Christ endured "every trial" we have to endure, to limit Christ's trials to poverty, fatigue and hunger is to limit our trials to these same things.

i see trials and temptations as two different things. trials are what we go through and temptations are what we are tempted to do because of those trials. like since the accident my back hurts a lot so im tempted to not do much. back hurts=trial. want to not do much=temptation.

when we go through trials we are tempted to do certain things because of those trials. that is how i understood the messenger of the Lords statements. Jesus suffered the same general trials many go through. poverty, hunger, etc. we are tempted to murmur, etc because of those trials. Jesus wasnt exempt from the trials. but instead of murmuring or complaining He went around relieving others misery.

Quote:
In addition, the SOP tells us our greatest trials, or temptations, come from within. So how can one say that Christ endured *every* trial we have to endure if He didn't even endure the one temptation which is most difficult for us?

i understand the logic employed here but she applied this specifically to us so i cant, in all conscience, apply it to Jesus and say, "so His temptations came from within." you can and do. i cant. period.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #116687
07/26/09 03:59 AM
07/26/09 03:59 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
As this seems to be where the most recent "Jesus' nature" topic landed, I will here post this quote I just found which might help to settle the issue.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White

III. Took Sinless Human Nature

Christ came to the earth, taking humanity, and standing as man's representative, to show in the controversy with Satan that man, as God created him, connected with the Father and the Son, could obey every divine requirement.--The Signs of the Times, June 9, 1898. {7ABC 446.3}
[S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 7A (1970)]

(All emphases original)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!