HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lesson #3 - Walking in the Light — Turning Away From Sin [Re: Tom] #116885
07/30/09 09:57 PM
07/30/09 09:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
MM, I was mainly taking issue with two things you said. One was that anyone could stop sinning if they did it slowly. The other was that when someone spoke of a woman who stopped smoking after many years of struggling with it, it sounded to me like you were being critical. That was my impression.

Yeah, the word "sinning" wasn't the best choice. That's why I switched to "sinful habit". The second quote above says unbelievers can indeed give up certain sinful habits (cold turkey or otherwise) without the renewing power of God. Is that how you see it?

I didn't mean to criticize the smoker's account of how she gradually gave up dope and cigarettes. I'm sorry if anything I posted sounded like I was attacking her personally. I can assure you that when she told me her story that my response did not make her feel slighted, attacked, or criticized. BTW, I said something like, Thank you for sharing your story with me. I am very glad you have kicked the habit.

Regarding your question regarding will power and stopping a bad habit and sinning etc., it really depends on how you define your terms. God is interested in helping us live healthfully, and, of ourselves, we can't free ourselves of the power of sin. Some people have been blessed with more will power than others, and are able to do things cold turkey easier than others, and may mistake that for overcoming by the power of God. Since will power is itself a gift from God, regardless of how anyone overcomes, it's a gift of God.

I'm don't think I understand what you're trying to say here. It sounds like you're saying since willpower is the gift of God, any unbeliever that uses it to give up a sinful habit (cold turkey or otherwise) is doing so by the power of God whether they know it or not.

However, the part I underlined above seems to suggest quite the opposite, namely, that they can use their God-given gift (willpower) to give up certain sinful habits without relying on the power of God. If so, is it correct to say they quit sinning (regarding that specific sin)? If not, why not?

Pride can manifest itself in many ways.

Amen! Proud people can seem very Christlike. Again, how is this possible? That is, how can someone take sinful pride and use it to do things that resemble Jesus?

I think the weightier matters of sin have to do with how we view God and how we treat others.

During the final hours of earth's history, the Sabbath will be the focal point. Those who keep it will receive the seal of God; whereas, those who choose not to keep it will receive the mark of the beast. I suspect the "counterfeit" "revival of primitive godliness", which is yet to come, will make it appear as though they are as much like Jesus as those who receive the seal of God. That is, they will seem very kind and loving and compassionate, etc. The truth, of course, will be very much different, but it will not be evident to all.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #3 - Walking in the Light — Turning Away From Sin [Re: teresaq] #116886
07/30/09 10:03 PM
07/30/09 10:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Teresaq, the DA 324 quote you posted above is one of my favorite passages. What do you make of the SC 58 quote below? It says unbelievers can give up sinful habits without the renewing power of God.

It is true that there may be an outward correctness of deportment without the renewing power of Christ. The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions. {SC 58.1}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - Walking in the Light — Turning Away From Sin [Re: Mountain Man] #116898
07/31/09 01:34 AM
07/31/09 01:34 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
my brother, this is the last time i will tell you that i am not going to sit in judgment of that woman. Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

you are free to decide for yourself how others should get deliverance but i do not feel qualified. if you feel that what happened in her life does not match how it should be, ok. you have that right.

now please allow others to have a different understanding.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - Walking in the Light — Turning Away From Sin [Re: teresaq] #116912
07/31/09 03:52 PM
07/31/09 03:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Sigh! I'm not asking you to pass judgment on the woman who gave God the credit for empowering her to spend several years gradually quitting smoking dope and cigarettes. Nor am I asking you, at least not in my last post, to say whether or not God promises to help people overcome their sinful habits in this manner.

Ellen White wrote - "It is true that there may be an outward correctness of deportment without the renewing power of Christ. The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions. {SC 58.1}

According to this passage, I think it is clear that unbelievers can rid themselves of certain sinful habits (cold turkey or otherwise) without the renewing power of Christ. Do you agree? Please understand that I do not have some underhanded reason for asking you this question. I'm not out to trick you. I am not going to corner you and then push some personal agenda. Please believe me.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - Walking in the Light — Turning Away From Sin [Re: Mountain Man] #116940
08/01/09 05:17 AM
08/01/09 05:17 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: asygo
While perfection is taught in the Bible, I don't think sinlessness is. 1Jn 1:8 comes to mind.

How do you define sinlessness?

To be in a condition such that it is safe to stand in God's presence without Christ's covering blood. Jesus could do it, but none else.

What do you think 1 Jn 1:8 means?

All of us have the taint and corruption of sin. If we say we do not, we lie.

Ellen White wrote:

Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression.{HP 146.5}

Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. They testify to their love of Christ by obeying all His precepts (MS 122, 1901). {6BC 1118.10}

I take those to mean that we can have some aspects of Adam's pre-fall sinlessness, but not every aspect. IOW, we will not become pre-fall humans, no matter how converted we are. Such a state is reserved for the 2nd Coming. Until then, we will still have some post-fall aspects.

Don't forget the other quotes about those who have been transformed clearly see their moral defects.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - Walking in the Light — Turning Away From Sin [Re: asygo] #116973
08/02/09 12:42 AM
08/02/09 12:42 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
A: While perfection is taught in the Bible, I don't think sinlessness is. 1Jn 1:8 comes to mind.

M: How do you define sinlessness?

A: To be in a condition such that it is safe to stand in God's presence without Christ's covering blood. Jesus could do it, but none else.

Not even the 144,000 after probation closes? They still have sinful flesh. "When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth. In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor." {GC 614.1} Also, this:

So, in the time of trouble, if the people of God had unconfessed sins to appear before them while tortured with fear and anguish, they would be overwhelmed; despair would cut off their faith, and they could not have confidence to plead with God for deliverance. But while they have a deep sense of their unworthiness, they have no concealed wrongs to reveal. Their sins have gone beforehand to judgment and have been blotted out, and they cannot bring them to remembrance. {GC 620.1}

Quote:
M: What do you think 1 Jn 1:8 means?

A: All of us have the taint and corruption of sin. If we say we do not, we lie.

Yes, "all have sinned", to say otherwise is a lie. Do you think believers can reach a point in this lifetime where they cease to sin? Or, do you think they will continue to sin until the day Jesus returns and changes them? Also, are you implying we incur guilt and condemnation in judgment based on the sinful flesh nature we inherited at birth?

Quote:
Ellen White wrote:

Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression.{HP 146.5}

Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. They testify to their love of Christ by obeying all His precepts (MS 122, 1901). {6BC 1118.10}

A: I take those to mean that we can have some aspects of Adam's pre-fall sinlessness, but not every aspect. IOW, we will not become pre-fall humans, no matter how converted we are. Such a state is reserved for the 2nd Coming. Until then, we will still have some post-fall aspects.

I agree we cannot, in this lifetime, change our flesh nature back to the sinlessness condition of Adam before the Fall. Although the Gnostics of John's time disagreed. He fought their notion that we are naturally sinless beings. Which aspect of Adam's pre-fall sinlessness do you believe is attainable in this lifetime? And, do you believe it is a criteria for everyone who hopes to be admitted to heaven?

Quote:
A: Don't forget the other quotes about those who have been transformed clearly see their moral defects.

Good point. What do you think? Is it a sin to have defects, weaknesses, and imperfections? Or, do you believe as I do that it is a sin to sin, that having defects, weaknesses, and imperfections is not a sin so long as, in Christ, we rein them in, that is, subdue them and subject them to a sanctified reason and conscience?

Ellen White put it this way:

Quote:
Those who would have clear minds to discern Satan's devices must have their physical appetites under the control of reason and conscience. {Con 57.2}

Unholy passions must be crucified. They will clamor for indulgence, but God has implanted in the heart high and holy purposes and desires, and these need not be debased. It is only when we refuse to submit to the control of reason and conscience that we are dragged down. {GW 127.3}

You are of that age when the will, the appetite, and the passions clamor for indulgence. God has implanted these in your nature for high and holy purposes. It is not necessary that they should become a curse to you by being debased. They will become this only when you refuse to submit to the control of reason and conscience. {LHU 262.4}

[Satan] will endeavor to excite the emotions, to arouse the passions, to fasten the affections on that which is not for your good; but it is for you to hold every emotion and passion under control, in calm subjection to reason and conscience. Then Satan loses his power to control the mind. {1MCP 31.2}

If we would not commit sin, we must shun its very beginnings. Every emotion and desire must be held in subjection to reason and conscience. Every unholy thought must be instantly repelled. To your closet, followers of Christ. Pray in faith and with all the heart. Satan is watching to ensnare your feet. You must have help from above if you would escape his devices. {1MCP 325.3}

You seem to be suggesting that the fact we have to work, in Christ, to keep all such sinful clamorings under the control of a sanctified mind and will is evidence we are guilty of sinning in the sight of God. Have I misunderstood your point?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - Walking in the Light — Turning Away From Sin [Re: Mountain Man] #116974
08/02/09 12:47 AM
08/02/09 12:47 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
This too:

The sin of evilspeaking begins with the cherishing of evil thoughts. Guile includes impurity in all its forms. An impure thought tolerated, an unholy desire cherished, and the soul is contaminated, its integrity compromised. "Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." If we would not commit sin, we must shun its very beginnings. Every emotion and desire must be held in subjection to reason and conscience. Every unholy thought must be instantly repelled. To your closet, followers of Christ. Pray in faith and with all the heart. Satan is watching to ensnare your feet. You must have help from above if you would escape his devices. {5T 177.1}

By faith and prayer all may meet the requirements of the gospel. No man can be forced to transgress. His own consent must be first gained; the soul must purpose the sinful act before passion can dominate over reason or iniquity triumph over conscience. Temptation, however strong, is never an excuse for sin. "The eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and His ears are open unto their prayers." Cry unto the Lord, tempted soul. Cast yourself, helpless, unworthy, upon Jesus, and claim His very promise. The Lord will hear. He knows how strong are the inclinations of the natural heart, and He will help in every time of temptation. {5T 177.2}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - Walking in the Light — Turning Away From Sin [Re: Mountain Man] #116986
08/02/09 04:35 AM
08/02/09 04:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #116885, my point was that if a person stops sinning, it's only by the grace of God that this is possible. Some people are able to achieve a certain level of behavior by willpower, but outward "righteousness" is not the same thing as being born again, which involves a transformation of the the heart.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - Walking in the Light — Turning Away From Sin [Re: Tom] #116987
08/02/09 04:39 AM
08/02/09 04:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, it sounds like you are using the word "sinlessness" differently than Ellen White did. Do you see this?

I'm not saying this is a problem. People use words differently; that's natural. I'm just asking if you recognize that you're saying something different than Ellen White did, in reference to how you're using the word "sinlessness."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - Walking in the Light — Turning Away From Sin [Re: Tom] #117056
08/03/09 06:14 PM
08/03/09 06:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Regarding #116885, my point was that if a person stops sinning, it's only by the grace of God that this is possible. Some people are able to achieve a certain level of behavior by willpower, but outward "righteousness" is not the same thing as being born again, which involves a transformation of the the heart.

Amen! But what is it called when people give up certain sinful habits without the renewing power of God? I agree we cannot say they have stopped "sinning". But what it is called?

Reply Quote
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!