HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily, TheophilusOne), 1,877 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 72 of 91 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #117540
08/12/09 03:42 AM
08/12/09 03:42 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
For reference re: my post #117537.

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. . . . {FLB 17.3}

All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son, the Great Teacher.

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son, the Great Teacher. {UL 323.3}

All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son, the great Teacher. {PH095 40.1}

All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son, the Great Teacher. {LLM 253.3}

All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in His Word and in the life of His Son, the great Teacher. {6BC 1079.9}

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #117555
08/12/09 02:54 PM
08/12/09 02:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
It doesn't seem conclusive. But it's hard to be comprehensive in a handful of sentences. It seems to be this: God withdraws His protection and something bad happens next. The quote is not definitive whether God just watched it happen, or He orchestrated the events for His purposes.

But if I had to choose, I'd go with #1. I'm guessing you would, too.

But if I had more information that pointed to #2, I could go for that. I'm guessing you would not.

So you don't have any problem characterizing the view EGW presents in GC 35 as God's withdrawing His protection and watching to see what happens next? To my mind, that seems a bit derogatory, as if God were ignorant or apathetic (which reminds me of the old joke, "What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?" "I don't know, and I don't care.").

This was just one example of many. I think Teresa's point is well taken, that we should present the viewpoint of another as accurately and positively as possible. She included herself as wanting to improve in this area, and I do as well. Particularly with MM, I really need to watch myself. (Sorry, MM, for any "misses"!).

Actually, I'm glad I mentioned this. I don't have much of a problem presenting the other viewpoints here in this forum accurately/positively because they are standard ideas. MM's ideas are often unique. So they can strike me as "off the wall" or "goofy." So it's tempting to ridicule what he's saying. I imagine the reaction to some things I'm sharing is similar. But it's not fair to him if I make fun of him or his ideas just because I find them odd.

Anyway, back to your question. Yes, I would agree with your statement that I do not see that God was orchestrating the destruction of Jerusalem. I really don't understand how you could think this (the EGW quote) "doesn't seem conclusive." It seems to me saying

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ...(emphasis mine)

is as conclusive as it gets.

I don't see how there could be more information pointing to the idea that God was orchestrating this, because that would contradict the idea that Satan was concealing his own work.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117557
08/12/09 03:20 PM
08/12/09 03:20 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off. (Psalms 37:28, KJV)

The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD's throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men. (Psalms 11:4, KJV)

The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth. (Psalms 11:5, KJV)

Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup. (Psalms 11:6, KJV)

For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright. (Psalms 11:7, KJV)

-----

Those texts tell me that God's judgment is righteous, and is executed because He wishes to preserve the upright. God destroys the wicked in fairness and perfect justice to the righteous.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #117558
08/12/09 03:31 PM
08/12/09 03:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:No, you haven't said anything specifically about the "Gospels." You have repeated many times that "all we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ, in His humanity" which I took to mean the Biblical record of His actual sojourn in humanity.

I was just quoting from the SOP. Do you think this is what she had in mind? I didn't take her statement that way.

Quote:
But I see that you also take sources outside of the historical record of Christ's life as authoritative regarding Christ's life.

I didn't say anything about authoritative. We can learn things from sources which aren't authoritative, even from people here on this forum! We can read or hear something we hadn't thought of before, and check it against an authoritative source, and voila! we've learned something about Jesus Christ in His humanity.

Quote:
For example, you take Desire of Ages. So, if we find something revealed in Christ's life in DA, but is not found in the Gospels, you would still accept that as true?

I believe Ellen White was inspired, so, generally speaking (I'm just giving myself an out here in case there's some tricky exception I'm not aware of) I'd accept anything she said as true, regardless of whether it was in the Gospels or even in Scripture.

Quote:
So also, if we find something in Psalms or the epistles that tells us something about Christ, but it is not in the Gospels, you would still accept that as true?

I don't understand why you'd ask a question like that. You've said I didn't say anything specific about the Gospels. Why would you think I might consider something in the Psalms to be false?

Quote:
A:I noticed you said "Christ in His humanity" here. Of the 7 times I found the "can know of God" statement in the SOP, 6 times it said, "revealed in the life and character of His Son." 6 out of 7 times it included Christ's character, not just His life, and specifically His life on earth.

I've said "in His humanity" because that's what the quote that I've cited was speaking of. I was only aware of one quote, until now. Here's the quote I've cited:

Quote:

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18.

Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He was in all things made like unto His brethren. He became flesh, even as we are. He was hungry and thirsty and weary. He was sustained by food and refreshed by sleep. He shared the lot of men, and yet He was the blameless Son of God. He was a stranger and sojourner on the earth--in the world, but not of the world; tempted and tried as men and women today are tempted and tried, yet living a life free from sin.(8T 286)

This is clearly speaking of Christ in His humanity, so I have done the same.

Given that it's true that Christ, in His humanity, revealed all that man can know of God, it doesn't matter to that point I have been making that He revealed all that man can know of God at other times as well. I mean, of course Christ is always revealing the truth about God! That's not in question.

But the point is that *all* that man needs to know, or can know, was revealed by Jesus Christ in His humanity. This is a thrilling and wonderful thing! It means we have a more condensed reference to consider. God has made it as easy as possible for us! He became flesh, and through a prophet has informed us that all that we can know of Him was revealed while in the flesh.

Quote:
Let me quickly summarize what I've been getting from you on this topic: You form your view of what God is like based on Christ's life and character (which I just now found out also includes DA, Psalms, and the epistles)

I don't understand why you wouldn't have known this all along. All I've done is cited the quote, which speaks of Christ in His humanity. So all one would have to do is ask,"Where can I learn of Christ in humanity" and that question would lead you to the sources I mentioned. That's really simple, isn't it? That's all I did. I have no idea where you were limiting things to the Gospels in the first place.

Quote:
, and reject everything that does not fit that mold.

Let's be clear here as to what's being rejected. What's being rejected are ideas regarding God's character which are not in harmony with what Christ revealed of God in His humanity. That's it. Not certain books, but certain ideas some have regarding what's written in those books.

Quote:
That's fine with me, except that you put huge chunks of Exodus into the "reject" pile instead of the "authoritative" pile with DA, Psalms, and the epistles.

This is misunderstanding the point. What I'm saying is if one has an idea from wherever (could be Exodus, or anywhere) and that idea does not agree with what Christ in His humanity revealed of God, then that idea must be rejected.

This is perfectly logical, isn't it Arnold? This seems like extremely simple reasoning here to me. I'm not understanding the difficulty here.

Quote:
I believe that Exodus, just like DA, Psalms, and the epistles, can teach us a few things about Christ's character; even some things not in the Gospels.

I don't know why you're still singling out the Gospels. You've already admitted I haven't been speaking specifically of them.

If you're saying you can learn something from Exodus regarding God that Christ in His humanity did not reveal of God, then it seems very clear to me that you are disagreeing with Ellen White's statement. If, on the other hand, you said you could learn something in Exodus regarding God which you hadn't seen before, but was revealed by Christ in His humanity, I would agree with that.

The whole point is that if we come up with ideas regarding God which we do not see revealed by Christ in His humanity, those ideas need to be very carefully scrutinized, at a minimum.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117559
08/12/09 03:46 PM
08/12/09 03:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #117557, GC, where do you see that Christ in His humanity revealed the ideas that you've shared?

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117561
08/12/09 03:56 PM
08/12/09 03:56 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

I do not understand your question. The implication which comes through to my mind as I read it is that "Christ in His humanity" trumps the Bible. To me, that is like saying God's Word is in disagreement with God.

I do not believe, however, that this is what you meant. So I am convinced I have not correctly interpreted your question. Can you please clarify?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #117564
08/12/09 04:16 PM
08/12/09 04:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The SOP statement from 2T 286 says that all that we can know of God was revealed by Christ in His humanity. You've shared an idea of God. I'm asking where Christ in His humanity revealed the idea you're sharing.

Regarding how to put the concept I'm speaking of, "Christ in His humanity trumps wrong ideas taken from the Bible" comes to mind, or "Christ in His humanity is in perfect agreement with right ideas taken from the Bible".

The point is that if we have some idea regarding taken from Scripture, and we cannot see where Christ in His humanity revealed the idea we have, then the idea should be scrutinized, as it might be wrong.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117565
08/12/09 04:39 PM
08/12/09 04:39 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
So you are saying you view "my" idea as wrong?

Perhaps you would like to share your idea as to what the texts I quoted should mean. If you agree with what I shared, perhaps you have some idea already of where "Christ in his humanity" demonstrated this.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #117572
08/12/09 06:35 PM
08/12/09 06:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:So you are saying you view "my" idea as wrong?

The "my" doesn't need to be in quotes. You weren't quoting anyone. It's your idea. (This isn't making any judgment as to whether it's correct or not.)

In regards to your idea, I asked you,"Where do you see that Christ in His humanity revealed the ideas that you've shared?"

I'm still interested in your answer to this question.

Quote:
Perhaps you would like to share your idea as to what the texts I quoted should mean.

I see there are no quotes here. (around "your")

Quote:
If you agree with what I shared, perhaps you have some idea already of where "Christ in his humanity" demonstrated this.

I'm interested in your answer to my question. Perhaps after that we can go from there.

I'm also interested if you have understood the principle I've been trying to explain, in relation to all that can be known of God's being revealed by Jesus Christ in His humanity (I'm not asking if you agree with the idea, just if it's been understood).

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117584
08/12/09 09:59 PM
08/12/09 09:59 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I'll get back to the main thoughts later, but will throw out a short comment on this.

Originally Posted By: Tom
This was just one example of many. I think Teresa's point is well taken, that we should present the viewpoint of another as accurately and positively as possible.

Kind of like comparing my views of God's sovereignty to the Inquisition (Tom) or Hitler (kland)? "Accurately and positively" indeed.

It may not have been positive, unless you are a descendant of Torquemada, but it had some semblance of accuracy, if you cross your eyes and make everything very blurry. I don't remember characterizing your remarks as derogatory.

However, to say that God removed His protection and watched what happened next is derogatory? People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, because others might conclude that they would like to be treated that way. WDYT?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Page 72 of 91 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!