HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,205
Posts195,716
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 7
Daryl 3
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (daylily, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 80 of 91 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #117948
08/22/09 03:52 PM
08/22/09 03:52 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: teresaq
[quote=teresaq]now we are walking on shaky ground.

Teresa,

The fact remains, whether folks like to read and understand her writings in context or not,...
We must study the truth for ourselves. No living man should be relied upon to think for us. No matter who it is, or in what position he may be placed, we are not to look upon any man as a perfect criterion for us. We are to counsel together, and to be subject to the same time we are to exercise the ability God has given us to learn what is truth. Each one of us must look to God for divine enlightenment. We must individually develop a character that will stand the test in the day of God. We must not become set in our ideas, and think that no one should interfere with our opinions.--Review and Herald, June 18, 1889. {CW 45.1}

Now, can we return to discussing the plagues? [/quote]the original post below to which i was responding. so are we agreed that no man is to set himself up as the ultimate authority for another? that no man is to decide for another how to understand scripture/sop?

post 117873
I wish to point out once again the importance of proper diligence when developing doctrines from the Bible or from Mrs. White. There has been a doctrine brought out here on the basis of this quote that God removes His protection, allowing the devil to exert his power. This doctrine restricts the activity which can be attributed to God, and changes its form to that of a more passive approach.

On the contrary, I believe God is actively opposed to sin, and active in His approach and manner toward dealing with it.

There may be no single principle of proper textual study more important than that of careful attention to context.

Context, context, CONTEXT!

Theology students are taught that context is their most important tool when meeting questions on the more difficult texts of scripture. Context is also key in understanding Mrs. White's messages.

I like compilations from Mrs. White's writings. They do a lot of good in bringing together key passages in a topical format. However, they have a major drawback. MAJOR. Sometimes, the statements can be made to appear to say something far from the truth when stripped of their context. It is important, then, that the careful student look up those statements in their original form before building a doctrine upon them.

Such is the case with this oft-quoted statement. Below is the quote in full from the beginning of the statement down to the statement so often quoted here. Read it carefully. You will notice that it is applied to a particular class of people, and cannot be over-generalized to include everyone.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
MR No. 1081 - God's Protecting Power Removed From Those Who Refuse His Warnings

(Written August 8, 1883, to Elder and Mrs. Uriah Smith, from Healdsburg, California.)

I received Brother Smith's letter which related some particulars in regard to the death of Brother Stone, and the circumstances connected with his death were read by us in the papers. {14MR 1.1}

I felt sad indeed, for I had no evidence that Elder Stone was prepared for this change. I have been reading the testimony given for him and William Gage and have felt very, very sad. But I leave him in the hands of God. I have no evidence he acted upon the light given. {14MR 1.2}

I was shown in the vision given me of the Judgment, that God would send warnings, counsels, and reproof. Some would take heed to their ways and seek the Lord, while some would follow their own judgment because it was more convenient and pleasing to their own natural hearts to do so, [and] while some others would kick against the pricks, rise up against the testimonies of reproof, despise the warnings, choose their own wisdom, be ensnared and overcome by the enemy, and so blinded by his infatuations [that] they would be utterly unable to discern the things of God and would work directly against the light, enshrouding themselves in darkness and error. Then these very ones would sustain and strengthen the hands of our bitterest enemies. {14MR 1.3}

Some who had, like Elder Stone, had but little moral power, but little strength to resist temptation, would for a time feel the force of warnings and see his condition; but his traits of character were such that unless transformed, he would be no help to God's people, no benefit to the young. His influence would be to break down the barriers, to unite with pleasure lovers, and become tainted and polluted by lax morals. {14MR 2.1}

He might become a man of excellent ability if he had a vital connection with God. He had superior talents which had not been employed to the advancement of the work and cause of God, because he loved ease and self-indulgence better than he loved self-denial and the cross of Christ. {14MR 2.2}

I was shown that the time was in the near future that these whom God had warned and reproved and given great light but they would not correct their ways and follow the light, He would remove from them that heavenly protection which had preserved them from Satan's cruel power; the Lord would surely leave them to themselves to follow the judgment and counsels of their own wisdom; they would be simply left to themselves, and the protection of God be withdrawn from them, and they would not be shielded from the workings of Satan; that none of finite judgment and foresight can have any power to conceive of the care God has exercised through His angels over the children of men in their travels, in their own houses, in their eating and drinking. Wherever they are, His eye is upon them. They are preserved from a thousand dangers, all to them unseen. Satan has laid snares, but the Lord is constantly at work to save His people from them. {14MR 2.3}

But [from] those who have no sense of the goodness and mercy of God, [those] who refuse His merciful warnings, who reject His counsels to reach the highest standard of Bible requirements, who do despite to the Spirit of grace, the Lord would remove His protecting power. I was shown that Satan would entangle and then destroy, if he could, the souls he had tempted. God will bear long, but there is a bound to His mercy, a line which marks His mercy and His justice. {14MR 2.4}

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. [SEE ALSO THE GREAT CONTROVERSY, P. 614, WHERE ELLEN WHITE STATES, "A SINGLE ANGEL DESTROYED ALL THE FIRST-BORN OF THE EGYPTIANS AND FILLED THE LAND WITH MOURNING. WHEN DAVID OFFENDED AGAINST GOD BY NUMBERING THE PEOPLE, ONE ANGEL CAUSED THAT TERRIBLE DESTRUCTION BY WHICH HIS SIN WAS PUNISHED. THE SAME DESTRUCTIVE POWER EXERCISED BY HOLY ANGELS WHEN GOD COMMANDS, WILL BE EXERCISED BY EVIL ANGELS WHEN HE PERMITS."] It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. {14MR 3.1}
[Manuscript Releases Volume Fourteen [Nos. 1081-1135] (1990)]

After reading this statement, it is clear to me that Ellen White is addressing a particular class of privileged people who are well acquainted with the knowledge of God and of His blessings. Further, the statement is conditional. If these people place themselves on the devil's ground, THEN, and only then, does God remove His protection from them, which in turn permits Satan to do his destructive deeds.

This statement never addresses other classes of people. Nor did Mrs. White put this statement into any of her major writings. This was a private letter, dealing most especially with a particular Mr. Stone who had recently deceased, sent to Uriah Smith and his wife.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #117949
08/22/09 04:11 PM
08/22/09 04:11 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
post 117873
I wish to point out once again the importance of proper diligence when developing doctrines from the Bible or from Mrs. White. There has been a doctrine brought out here on the basis of this quote that God removes His protection, allowing the devil to exert his power. This doctrine restricts the activity which can be attributed to God, and changes its form to that of a more passive approach.

On the contrary, I believe God is actively opposed to sin, and active in His approach and manner toward dealing with it.

There may be no single principle of proper textual study more important than that of careful attention to context.

Context, context, CONTEXT!

Theology students are taught that context is their most important tool when meeting questions on the more difficult texts of scripture. Context is also key in understanding Mrs. White's messages.

MR No. 1081 - God's Protecting Power Removed From Those Who Refuse His Warnings

(Written August 8, 1883, to Elder and Mrs. Uriah Smith, from Healdsburg, California.)

I received Brother Smith's letter which related some particulars in regard to the death of Brother Stone, and the circumstances connected with his death were read by us in the papers. {14MR 1.1}

I felt sad indeed, for I had no evidence that Elder Stone was prepared for this change. I have been reading the testimony given for him and William Gage and have felt very, very sad. But I leave him in the hands of God. I have no evidence he acted upon the light given. {14MR 1.2}

I was shown in the vision given me of the Judgment, that God would send warnings, counsels, and reproof. Some would take heed to their ways and seek the Lord, while some would follow their own judgment because it was more convenient and pleasing to their own natural hearts to do so, [and] while some others would kick against the pricks, rise up against the testimonies of reproof, despise the warnings, choose their own wisdom, be ensnared and overcome by the enemy, and so blinded by his infatuations [that] they would be utterly unable to discern the things of God and would work directly against the light, enshrouding themselves in darkness and error. Then these very ones would sustain and strengthen the hands of our bitterest enemies. {14MR 1.3}

Some who had, like Elder Stone, had but little moral power, but little strength to resist temptation, would for a time feel the force of warnings and see his condition; but his traits of character were such that unless transformed, he would be no help to God's people, no benefit to the young. His influence would be to break down the barriers, to unite with pleasure lovers, and become tainted and polluted by lax morals. {14MR 2.1}

He might become a man of excellent ability if he had a vital connection with God. He had superior talents which had not been employed to the advancement of the work and cause of God, because he loved ease and self-indulgence better than he loved self-denial and the cross of Christ. {14MR 2.2}

I was shown that the time was in the near future that these whom God had warned and reproved and given great light but they would not correct their ways and follow the light, He would remove from them that heavenly protection which had preserved them from Satan's cruel power; the Lord would surely leave them to themselves to follow the judgment and counsels of their own wisdom; they would be simply left to themselves, and the protection of God be withdrawn from them, and they would not be shielded from the workings of Satan; that none of finite judgment and foresight can have any power to conceive of the care God has exercised through His angels over the children of men in their travels, in their own houses, in their eating and drinking. Wherever they are, His eye is upon them. They are preserved from a thousand dangers, all to them unseen. Satan has laid snares, but the Lord is constantly at work to save His people from them. {14MR 2.3}

But [from] those who have no sense of the goodness and mercy of God, [those] who refuse His merciful warnings, who reject His counsels to reach the highest standard of Bible requirements, who do despite to the Spirit of grace, the Lord would remove His protecting power. I was shown that Satan would entangle and then destroy, if he could, the souls he had tempted. God will bear long, but there is a bound to His mercy, a line which marks His mercy and His justice. {14MR 2.4}

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. [SEE ALSO THE GREAT CONTROVERSY, P. 614, WHERE ELLEN WHITE STATES, "A SINGLE ANGEL DESTROYED ALL THE FIRST-BORN OF THE EGYPTIANS AND FILLED THE LAND WITH MOURNING. WHEN DAVID OFFENDED AGAINST GOD BY NUMBERING THE PEOPLE, ONE ANGEL CAUSED THAT TERRIBLE DESTRUCTION BY WHICH HIS SIN WAS PUNISHED. THE SAME DESTRUCTIVE POWER EXERCISED BY HOLY ANGELS WHEN GOD COMMANDS, WILL BE EXERCISED BY EVIL ANGELS WHEN HE PERMITS."] It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. {14MR 3.1}
[Manuscript Releases Volume Fourteen [Nos. 1081-1135] (1990)]

After reading this statement, it is clear to me that Ellen White is addressing a particular class of privileged people who are well acquainted with the knowledge of God and of His blessings. Further, the statement is conditional. If these people place themselves on the devil's ground, THEN, and only then, does God remove His protection from them, which in turn permits Satan to do his destructive deeds.

This statement never addresses other classes of people. Nor did Mrs. White put this statement into any of her major writings. This was a private letter, dealing most especially with a particular Mr. Stone who had recently deceased, sent to Uriah Smith and his wife.
the judgment is applicable to all is it not?

the Lord sends warnings, etc., to all, does He not?

not just to "some", right?

the white estate, in making compilations, are to use every article that pertains to that particular issue, are they not?

in the 9-volume set of testimonies were also letters to private individuals, but pertained to others also and so were made public, isnt that true also?

in those letters were universal applications, right?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #117952
08/22/09 05:07 PM
08/22/09 05:07 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
No, not at all. That's Augustine again. There's a difference between managing and micro-managing, I guess is one way of putting it.

It's true that nature is governed by laws which God created, and true that God manages nature, but it's not true that if a tornado happens, or any other natural disaster, that God made that happen.

Not true?
The day of test and purification is just upon us. Signs of a most startling character appear, in floods, in hurricanes, in tornadoes, in cloudbursts, in casualties by land and by sea, that proclaim the approach of the end of all things. The judgments of God are falling on the world, that men may be awakened to the fact that Christ will come speedily (RH Nov. 8, 1892). {7BC 950.5}

The passing days are eventful and full of peril. Signs of a most startling character appear in floods, in hurricanes, in tornadoes, in earthquakes, in casualties by sea and land. The judgments of God are falling on the world, that men may be awakened to the fact that Christ will come speedily. {SW, March 1, 1909 par. 2}
[The Watchman]

It seems to be true at least some of the time.
it seems to be more a matter of how one sees what is stated, how they understand it.

if i understand you correctly you are saying that God is the One pouring out death and destruction,

whereas others see "judgment" as a decision, not an act. i.e. "it is the judgment(decision) of this court...." an act can sometimes follow, but it is usually not the judge who carries it out.

this is a "judgment": Rev 13:10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword...this seems to be along the lines of Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Gal 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

and another one: Jer 25:31 A noise shall come even to the ends of the earth; for the LORD hath a controversy with the nations, he will plead with all flesh; he will give them that are wicked to the sword, saith the LORD.

Quote:
Exo 20:5..., visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
this also is a "judgment" but adventists, generally, do not believe that God literally punishes our children for what we do. i say "generally", because i believe there are some in the church who do not hold the adventist view.

we know what the causes are to all the diseases and pestilences which are happening now. yet we are told that the judgments of God are already falling. so the judgment of God can very well be allowing us to reap that which we have insisted on sowing.

Rev 16:2 And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image.

the lost do indeed believe that God will have done this, as well as the other plagues. the result is that they wish to rid the earth of the sabbathkeepers.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117960
08/22/09 06:07 PM
08/22/09 06:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
MM:I believe King Neb attempted to use force and violence to motivate people to comply with his whims and wishes. Stalin and Hitler resorted to similar tactics. God, however, has never employed force or violence to compel or coerce people to comply with His laws.

Let's change this a bit to make it more consistent:

Quote:
King Neb attempted to use force and violence to motivate people to comply with his will. Stalin and Hitler resorted to similar tactics. God, however, has never employed force or violence to compel or coerce people to comply with His will.

Would you agree with this statement?

I agree. However, I also believe "law" works as well as "will".

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117961
08/22/09 06:44 PM
08/22/09 06:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, I was thinking about what you said about the forces of nature. You seem to think God must work supernaturally to arbitrarily prevent the forces of nature from causing universal devastation and mass extinction.

T: No, this is your idea. Or, rather, your idea of what I've said. I've not said this, or anything like this. What I've said is that God manages nature, that nature is not self-acting (and quoted the same quotes you later quoted back to me). The point is that if God withdraws from this work, bad things are liable to happen.

Are you suggesting you in no way believe God must work supernaturally to arbitrarily prevent the forces of nature from causing universal devastation and mass extinction? If so, why do you think bad things are “liable” to happen if God were to stop managing the forces of nature? Also, by using the word “liable” are you implying it is possible nothing bad might happen?

Quote:
T: Consider the pilot of a complicated piece of machinery, like a 747 or the Shuttle. What would happen if the pilot "withdrew"?

Such aircrafts fly on autopilot. Are you suggesting the forces of nature are on “autopilot”? If not, then are you suggesting the forces of nature would crash and burn if God stopped managing them? If so, why, then, did you use the word “liable”?

Personally, as you know, I do not view the forces of nature in terms of complicated aircrafts. I believe they are totally dependent on God for everything. Unlike an airplane that would fall out of the sky and crash and burn if the pilot stopped managing the controls, I believe the forces of nature would simply do nothing if God stopped managing them. They would be suspended in space and time until God resumed controlling them. Yes, God also permits Satan to control the elements of nature, but this is not to say God stops doing what He does to enable the forces of nature to do what they do under the control of Satan. Ellen White observed:

"It was demonstrated to the Egyptians that the earth is under the control of the living God, that the elements obey His voice, and that the only safety is in obedience to Him. {PP 269.3} "Satan works through the elements also to garner his harvest of unprepared souls. He has studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature, and he uses all his power to control the elements as far as God allows. {GC 589.2}

Quote:
M: This idea, however, seems to assume that the forces of nature are self-acting, that they would behave a certain, predictable way if God did not intervene and prevent it.

T: ??? No, they're NOT self-acting, which is why God must manage them.

And yet you seem to think the forces of nature are self-acting when God stops preventing them from causing death and destruction. BTW, why do you think nature would do anything if God stopped managing the forces that regulate its behavior?

Quote:
M: However, based on what I've read, it is clear to me that the forces of nature are totally dependent on God, that nothing in nature is self-acting or capable of doing anything independent of God. Whatever happens in nature happens because God makes it happen.

T: No, not at all. That's Augustine again. There's a difference between managing and micro-managing, I guess is one way of putting it. It's true that nature is governed by laws which God created, and true that God manages nature, but it's not true that if a tornado happens, or any other natural disaster, that God made that happen.

What forces do you think are at work when God stops working and permits nature to cause death and destruction?

Quote:
M: For example, rivers flow downhill because God makes them flow downhill. In other words, God did not make water and gravity in such a way that rivers flow downhill without further help from Him.

Nothing is self-acting. Every atom, every molecule in nature behaves the way they do because God makes them behave that way. This is true of natural disasters as well as when the forces of nature function normally. For example, the Flood was not the result of God letting go and allowing the forces of nature to wreak havoc. The forces of nature do not possess the ability to do anything on their own. They are totally dependent on God to function normally and sustain life or to function abnormally and destroy life.

T: MM, are you familiar with chaos theory? Or quantum physics?

Yes. Why do you ask? I believe all the laws of nature are totally dependent on God to function as they do. Again, the forces of nature would simply cease to do anything if God were to stop managing them. The laws and forces at work when nature causes death and destruction are completely dependent on God to function as they do. I suspect you completely disagree with this observation. If so, then it would seem you think certain laws and forces are able to act independent of God.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117964
08/22/09 07:27 PM
08/22/09 07:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T:No, not at all. That's Augustine again. There's a difference between managing and micro-managing, I guess is one way of putting it.

It's true that nature is governed by laws which God created, and true that God manages nature, but it's not true that if a tornado happens, or any other natural disaster, that God made that happen.

GC: Not true?

T: No, it's not true. In order for the above to be a true statement, it would need to be the case that God caused the tornado to happen every single time there was a tornado.

GC: It seems to be true at least some of the time.

T: Again, in order for MM's statement to be true, it would have to be the case *all* of the time, not just some of the time. Also, you're assuming that a judgment means God is making something happen, but:

"I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of.(14 MR 3)

Tom, it is true that when sinners fill their cup of woe and wrath that God sometimes withdraws and protection and gives them over to Satan to do with them as he pleases, that is, within the limits established and enforced by God. The quote you posted above is an excellent example. But God doesn't always work in this manner. There are times He takes matters into His own hands. The Flood is an example. Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
The depths of the earth are the Lord's arsenal, whence were drawn weapons to be employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters gushing from the earth united with the waters from heaven to accomplish the work of desolation. Since the Flood, fire as well as water has been God's agent to destroy very wicked cities. These judgments are sent that those who lightly regard God's law and trample upon His authority may be led to tremble before His power and to confess His just sovereignty. As men have beheld burning mountains pouring forth fire and flames and torrents of melted ore, drying up rivers, overwhelming populous cities, and everywhere spreading ruin and desolation, the stoutest heart has been filled with terror and infidels and blasphemers have been constrained to acknowledge the infinite power of God. {PP 109.1}

The bowels of the earth were the Lord's arsenal, from which he drew forth the weapons he employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters in the bowels of the earth gushed forth, and united with the waters from Heaven, to accomplish the work of destruction. Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities. {3SG 82.2}

In the day of the Lord, just before the coming of Christ, God will send lightnings from Heaven in his wrath, which will unite with fire in the earth. The mountains will burn like a furnace, and will pour forth terrible streams of lava, destroying gardens and fields, villages and cities; and as they pour their melted ore, rocks and heated mud into the rivers, will cause them to boil like a pot, and send forth massive rocks and scatter their broken fragments upon the land with indescribable violence. Whole rivers will be dried up. The earth will be convulsed, and there will be dreadful eruptions and earthquakes everywhere. God will plague the wicked inhabitants of the earth until they are destroyed from off it. {3SG 82.3}

I realize you believe these kinds of statements must be interpreted to mean God withdraws His protection and permits evil angels to cause this kind of the death and destruction. And, I realize you believe Satan cannot stop himself from doing something that is likely to result in sinners embracing Jesus as their personal Savior. But I think the language is too plain to be misunderstood.

"God will plague the wicked inhabitants of the earth until they are destroyed from off it." To insist this kind of passage must be interpreted to mean "Satan will plague the wicked inhabitants of the earth until they are destroyed from off it", seems too far fetched to be believable.

"Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities." Again, to insist this kind of passage must be interpreted to mean "Since the flood, Satan has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities", well, it seems to border on blasphemy. In the OT, sinners were burned alive for daring to attribute God's retributive justice to evil men and angels, which is what it seems to me you are doing as well. Ellen White wrote:

But Korah and his companions rejected light until they became so blinded that the most striking manifestations of His power were not sufficient to convince them; they attributed them all to human or satanic agency. The same thing was done by the people, who the day after the destruction of Korah and his company came to Moses and Aaron, saying, "Ye have killed the people of the Lord." Notwithstanding they had had the most convincing evidence of God's displeasure at their course, in the destruction of the men who had deceived them, they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan, declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men. It was this act that sealed their doom. {PP 404.4}

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #117965
08/22/09 07:35 PM
08/22/09 07:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, here are few more passages that describe God's intimate involvement in the forces of nature:

Quote:
In dwelling upon the laws of matter and the laws of nature, many lose sight of, if they do not deny, the continual and direct agency of God. They convey the idea that nature acts independently of God, having in and of itself its own limits and its own powers wherewith to work. In their minds there is a marked distinction between the natural and the supernatural. The natural is ascribed to ordinary causes, unconnected with the power of God. Vital power is attributed to matter, and nature is made a deity. It is supposed that matter is placed in certain relations and left to act from fixed laws with which God Himself cannot interfere; that nature is endowed with certain properties and placed subject to laws, and is then left to itself to obey these laws and perform the work originally commanded. {8T 259.2}

This is false science; there is nothing in the word of God to sustain it. God does not annul His laws, but He is continually working through them, using them as His instruments. They are not self-working. God is perpetually at work in nature. She is His servant, directed as He pleases. Nature in her work testifies of the intelligent presence and active agency of a being who moves in all His works according to His will. It is not by an original power inherent in nature that year by year the earth yields its bounties and continues its march around the sun. The hand of infinite power is perpetually at work guiding this planet. It is God's power momentarily exercised that keeps it in position in its rotation. {8T 259.3}

The God of heaven is constantly at work. It is by His power that vegetation is caused to flourish, that every leaf appears and every flower blooms. Every drop of rain or flake of snow, every spire of grass, every leaf and flower and shrub, testifies of God. These little things so common around us teach the lesson that nothing is beneath the notice of the infinite God, nothing is too small for His attention. {8T 260.1}

The mechanism of the human body cannot be fully understood; it presents mysteries that baffle the most intelligent. It is not as the result of a mechanism, which, once set in motion, continues its work, that the pulse beats and breath follows breath. In God we live and move and have our being. Every breath, every throb of the heart, is a continual evidence of the power of an ever-present God. {8T 260.2}

It is God that causes the sun to rise in the heavens. He opens the windows of heaven and gives rain. He causes the grass to grow upon the mountains. "He giveth snow like wool: He scattereth the hoarfrost like ashes." "When He uttereth His voice, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens; . . . He maketh lightnings with rain, and bringeth forth the wind out of His treasures." Psalm 147:16; Jeremiah 10:13. {8T 260.3}

The Lord is constantly employed in upholding and using as His servants the things that He has made. Said Christ: "My Father worketh hitherto, and I work." John 5:17. {8T 260.4}

The Lord is regarded as cruel by many in requiring His people to make war with other nations. They say that it is contrary to His benevolent character. But He who made the world, and formed man to dwell upon the earth, has unlimited control over all the works of His hands, and it is His right to do as He pleases, and what He pleases with the work of His hands. Man has no right to say to his Maker, Why doest Thou thus? There is no injustice in His character. . . God has borne with them until they filled up the measure of their iniquity, and then He has brought upon them swift destruction. He has used His people as instruments of His wrath, to punish wicked nations, who have vexed them, and seduced them into idolatry. {2SM 333.1}

God is perpetually at work in nature. She is His servant, directed as He pleases. Nature in her work testifies of the intelligent presence and active agency of a Being who moves in all His works according to His will. It is not by an original power inherent in nature that year by year the earth produces its bounties and the world keeps up its continual march around the sun. The hand of infinite power is perpetually at work guiding this planet. It is God's power momentarily exercised that keeps it in position in its rotations. {6BC 1062.5}

The God of heaven is constantly at work. It is by His power that vegetation is caused to flourish, that every leaf appears and every flower blooms. It is not as the result of a mechanism, that, once set in motion, continues its work, that the pulse beats and breath follows breath. In God we live and move and have our being. Every breath, every throb of the heart, is the continual evidence of the power of an ever-present God. {6BC 1062.5}

It is God that maketh the sun to rise in the heavens. He openeth the windows of heaven and giveth rain. He maketh the grass to grow upon the mountains. "He giveth snow like wool: and scattereth the hoarfrost like ashes." "When he uttereth his voice, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens, . . . he maketh lightnings with rain, and bringeth forth the wind out of his treasures." Although the Lord has ceased His work in creating, He is constantly employed in upholding and using as His servants the things which He has made. Said Christ, "My Father worketh hitherto, and I work". {6BC 1062.5}

Given these insights, it is difficult to believe the forecs of nature can act independently of God and cause death and destruction.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #117972
08/22/09 10:41 PM
08/22/09 10:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I was the one who pointed out God's involvement in nature to you! (You had made statements making it sound like nature was self acting).

Of course God is involved in nature. He has to manage it.

Quote:
M:Given these insights, it is difficult to believe the forecs of nature can act independently of God and cause death and destruction.

Sin has caused nature to act in ways it was not originally designed. For example, consider the vast oceans. Consider the extremes of temperature change, of moisture, etc.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117974
08/22/09 10:43 PM
08/22/09 10:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom:King Neb attempted to use force and violence to motivate people to comply with his will. Stalin and Hitler resorted to similar tactics. God, however, has never employed force or violence to compel or coerce people to comply with His will.

Would you agree with this statement?

MM:I agree.

You say you agree, but you have God acting in ways that use force and violence to compel or coerce people to comply with His will. For example, the Egyptian plagues.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117975
08/22/09 10:54 PM
08/22/09 10:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: No, this is your idea. Or, rather, your idea of what I've said. I've not said this, or anything like this. What I've said is that God manages nature, that nature is not self-acting (and quoted the same quotes you later quoted back to me). The point is that if God withdraws from this work, bad things are liable to happen.

M:Are you suggesting you in no way believe God must work supernaturally to arbitrarily prevent the forces of nature from causing universal devastation and mass extinction?

I think that's a very odd way of putting things. It's hard to know exactly what it means. I would say that God manages nature, and if He withdraws His management, bad things are bound to happen.

Quote:
If so, why do you think bad things are “liable” to happen if God were to stop managing the forces of nature?

To mention just one thing, the SOP brings out in "The Ministry of Healing" that God is involved in keeping the earth in its orbit. If God didn't do that, you can see that bad things would result, right?

Quote:
Also, by using the word “liable” are you implying it is possible nothing bad might happen?

It would depend specifically on what God did not manage and what you mean by "bad".

Quote:
EGW:It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of.

Tom, it is true that when sinners fill their cup of woe and wrath that God sometimes withdraws and protection and gives them over to Satan to do with them as he pleases, that is, within the limits established and enforced by God.

This is neither my point nor what was stated here. My point was that what was stated is clearly not something limited in scope to an isolated event.

Quote:
The quote you posted above is an excellent example. But God doesn't always work in this manner. There are times He takes matters into His own hands. The Flood is an example.

We've spoken of the flood. She speaks of how there were great quantities of water beneath the earth which were involved in the flood. Just a little thought suffices to see that this water must have been under tremendous pressure. Either God was holding back the pressure, or God knew when the pressure would break, and He warned the inhabitants of earth, through Noah, what was to happen. He warned them for 120 years. Now instead of water, the earth sits atop fire (molten lava) and God warns of the destruction of fire about to come.

Our interpretations of the SOP and Scripture are predicated by what we believe regarding God's character and the principles He operates by. My belief is that in order for us to properly understand the incidents in Scripture where God apparently acts violently or uses force to get His way, we need to understand Christ and the atonement. Jesus Christ revealed God, and without an understanding of that revelation, it seems to me impossible to get these incidents right.

Page 80 of 91 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by Rick H. 07/06/24 09:49 AM
"Justice" or torture?
by dedication. 07/05/24 04:44 PM
Looking to Escape the Heat
by Rick H. 07/05/24 09:45 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by Rick H. 06/28/24 08:37 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/21/24 08:34 AM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:14 PM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 07/06/24 09:51 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 07/05/24 03:47 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 07/05/24 08:24 AM
LGBTQ+ Rainbow Decorates SDA Website
by dedication. 07/04/24 01:37 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:57 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 06/17/24 05:52 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!