HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,204
Posts195,705
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 9
kland 7
Daryl 3
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, 1 invisible), 1,015 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 81 of 91 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117976
08/22/09 10:59 PM
08/22/09 10:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: MM, are you familiar with chaos theory? Or quantum physics?

M:Yes. Why do you ask?

Because you have a view of things which is very deterministic, which goes along with Newtonian physics. But that's not the only way of looking at things.

Quantum mechanics involves randomness, and chaos theory that a small change can result in drastic, unpredictable change.

Quote:
I believe all the laws of nature are totally dependent on God to function as they do. Again, the forces of nature would simply cease to do anything if God were to stop managing them. The laws and forces at work when nature causes death and destruction are completely dependent on God to function as they do. I suspect you completely disagree with this observation. If so, then it would seem you think certain laws and forces are able to act independent of God.

I think we're just talking past each other here. I think I perceive reality to be a lot different than you do, so the things you say make no sense to me, and probably vice versa.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117993
08/23/09 02:58 AM
08/23/09 02:58 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: MM, I was the one who pointed out God's involvement in nature to you! (You had made statements making it sound like nature was self acting). Of course God is involved in nature. He has to manage it.

I'm glad you straightened me out. Thank you. I learn a lot studying with you.

Quote:
M: Given these insights, it is difficult to believe the forces of nature can act independently of God and cause death and destruction.

T: Sin has caused nature to act in ways it was not originally designed. For example, consider the vast oceans. Consider the extremes of temperature change, of moisture, etc.

I thought you just said God is the one who manages the forces of nature. Are you suggesting sin causes the forces of nature to cause natural disasters?

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117994
08/23/09 03:09 AM
08/23/09 03:09 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: King Neb attempted to use force and violence to motivate people to comply with his will. Stalin and Hitler resorted to similar tactics. God, however, has never employed force or violence to compel or coerce people to comply with His will. Would you agree with this statement?

M: I agree.

T: You say you agree, but you have God acting in ways that use force and violence to compel or coerce people to comply with His will. For example, the Egyptian plagues.

What was God's will in the ten plagues of Egypt? Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
In the deliverance of Israel from Egypt, God plainly showed his distinguished mercy to his people, before all the Egyptians. God saw fit to execute his judgments upon Pharaoh that he might know by sad experience, since he would not otherwise be convinced, that his power was superior to all others. That his name might be declared throughout all the earth, he would give exemplary and demonstrative proof to all nations of his divine power and justice. It was the design of God that these exhibitions of his power should strengthen the faith of his people, and that their posterity should steadfastly worship him alone who had wrought such merciful wonders in their behalf. {3SG 242.2}

I do not see God using force or violence to compel or coerce Pharaoh in this passage. Do you? "That his name might be declared throughout all the earth, he would give exemplary and demonstrative proof to all nations of his divine power and justice." It amazes me that anyone can read statements like this one and conclude God permitted evil angels to cause the death and destruction that plagued Egypt on ten different occasions.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117995
08/23/09 03:42 AM
08/23/09 03:42 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: No, this is your idea. Or, rather, your idea of what I've said. I've not said this, or anything like this. What I've said is that God manages nature, that nature is not self-acting (and quoted the same quotes you later quoted back to me). The point is that if God withdraws from this work, bad things are liable to happen.

M: Are you suggesting you in no way believe God must work supernaturally to arbitrarily prevent the forces of nature from causing universal devastation and mass extinction?

T: I think that's a very odd way of putting things. It's hard to know exactly what it means. I would say that God manages nature, and if He withdraws His management, bad things are bound to happen.

Why are bad things bound to happen? What laws or forces would be at work when God stops managing nature?

Quote:
M: If so, why do you think bad things are “liable” to happen if God were to stop managing the forces of nature?

T: To mention just one thing, the SOP brings out in "The Ministry of Healing" that God is involved in keeping the earth in its orbit. If God didn't do that, you can see that bad things would result, right?

Again, why would bad things result? What laws or forces would be at work when God stops managing nature?

Quote:
M: Also, by using the word “liable” are you implying it is possible nothing bad might happen?

T: It would depend specifically on what God did not manage and what you mean by "bad".

Are you using the word "liable" to mean "probable or likely"?

Quote:
EGW: It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of.

M: Tom, it is true that when sinners fill their cup of woe and wrath that God sometimes withdraws His protection and gives them over to Satan to do with them as he pleases, that is, within the limits established and enforced by God. The quote you posted above is an excellent example.

T: This is neither my point nor what was stated here. My point was that what was stated is clearly not something limited in scope to an isolated event.

True, she isn't talking about an isolated event. But, do you agree that the quote posted above says Satan will, if not restrained, cause more trouble than we ever dreamed of?

Quote:
M: But God doesn't always work in this manner. There are times He takes matters into His own hands. The Flood is an example.

T: We've spoken of the flood. She speaks of how there were great quantities of water beneath the earth which were involved in the flood. Just a little thought suffices to see that this water must have been under tremendous pressure. Either God was holding back the pressure, or God knew when the pressure would break, and He warned the inhabitants of earth, through Noah, what was to happen. He warned them for 120 years. Now instead of water, the earth sits atop fire (molten lava) and God warns of the destruction of fire about to come.

Your assumptions may or may not be valid. Do you know of any inspired passages where it says the reason the Flood occurred is because either 1) God knew when the forces of nature were going to unleash her pent up waters, or 2) God stopped preventing the forces of nature from unleashing her pent up waters?

Quote:
T: Our interpretations of the SOP and Scripture are predicated by what we believe regarding God's character and the principles He operates by. My belief is that in order for us to properly understand the incidents in Scripture where God apparently acts violently or uses force to get His way, we need to understand Christ and the atonement. Jesus Christ revealed God, and without an understanding of that revelation, it seems to me impossible to get these incidents right.

I see no place in the Bible or the SOP where God is portrayed as using force or violence to get His way. Nor do I see a relative or rational connection between Jesus suffering and dying as our Substitute and Jesus executing justice and judgment. You seem to be making the same mistake John did. Ellen White describes it in the following passage:

During the weeks that followed, John with new interest studied the prophecies and the teaching of the sacrificial service. He did not distinguish clearly the two phases of Christ's work,--as a suffering sacrifice and a conquering king,--but he saw that His coming had a deeper significance than priests or people had discerned. {DA 136.4}

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #117997
08/23/09 05:26 AM
08/23/09 05:26 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Not true?
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The day of test and purification is just upon us. Signs of a most startling character appear, in floods, in hurricanes, in tornadoes, in cloudbursts, in casualties by land and by sea, that proclaim the approach of the end of all things. The judgments of God are falling on the world, that men may be awakened to the fact that Christ will come speedily (RH Nov. 8, 1892). {7BC 950.5}

The passing days are eventful and full of peril. Signs of a most startling character appear in floods, in hurricanes, in tornadoes, in earthquakes, in casualties by sea and land. The judgments of God are falling on the world, that men may be awakened to the fact that Christ will come speedily. {SW, March 1, 1909 par. 2}[The Watchman]
It seems to be true at least some of the time.
Originally Posted By: teresaq
it seems to be more a matter of how one sees what is stated, how they understand it.

if i understand you correctly you are saying that God is the One pouring out death and destruction,

You don't understand me correctly, it appears. Where in my two brief sentences (bolded above) do you get that God is the one pouring out death and destruction?

If you'll take a closer look, you will see why it appears to me that you are trying to argue against Mrs. White.

Originally Posted By: teresaq
whereas others see "judgment" as a decision, not an act. i.e. "it is the judgment(decision) of this court...." an act can sometimes follow, but it is usually not the judge who carries it out.

Does it appear to you that this was what Mrs. White was saying? If so, how is it that you see her supporting both of the two apparently opposing views you have presented here?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #117998
08/23/09 05:36 AM
08/23/09 05:36 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I see no place in the Bible or the SOP where God is portrayed as using force or violence to get His way. Nor do I see a relative or rational connection between Jesus suffering and dying as our Substitute and Jesus executing justice and judgment.

Not even in the so-called "strange act?" I don't think the phraseology of "to get His way" is at all fair toward God, so perhaps in that sense, God has never exercised force. However, God has clearly exercised force in the Bible and SOP. Did not God force Satan and his rebel followers to exit Heaven? (That's just the first example of God using force, with many to follow...like forcing Adam and Eve out of Eden, forcing a stop the construction of Babel, etc.)

The only question remaining would be: Was this "to get His way?"

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #118010
08/23/09 03:09 PM
08/23/09 03:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, good point. "The power and authority of the divine government will be employed to put down rebellion; yet all the manifestations of retributive justice will be perfectly consistent with the character of God as a merciful, long-suffering, benevolent being. God does not force the will or judgment of any." (GC 541) Force in these kinds of situations is retributive justice. Punishment is the purpose of retributive justice. And it is very compelling. In the following passages Ellen White describes retributive justice:

Quote:
Justice, honor, love, and truth are the attributes of God's throne. They are the principles of His government which is to be established on the earth, made pure by the fire of His retributive justice. These are the jewels to be sought after and cherished for time and for eternity. {TDG 350.4}

They were about to fill to overflowing their cup of iniquity. And soon it was to be poured upon their heads in retributive justice. Of this, Jesus warned them: {DA 618.3}

The cup of iniquity is nearly filled, and the retributive justice of God is about to descend upon the guilty. {4T 489.2} Those who rob God by withholding from His cause and from the suffering poor will meet His retributive justice. {4T 620.1} They do not sense the offensive character of sin or the retributive justice of God that will fall upon the sinner. {TSB 104.3}

The power that inflicted retributive justice upon man's substitute and surety, was the power that sustained and upheld the suffering One under the tremendous weight of wrath that would have fallen upon a sinful world. Christ was suffering the death that was pronounced upon the transgressors of God's law. It is a fearful thing for the unrepenting sinner to fall into the hands of the living God. {5BC 1103}

The same angel who had left the royal courts of heaven to rescue Peter from the power of his persecutor, had been the messenger of wrath and judgment to Herod. . . Herod died in great agony of mind and body, under the retributive justice of God. This demonstration of divine judgment had a mighty influence upon the people. {SR 299}

Then follows the story of the temptation and fall, and the punishment inflicted upon our erring parents. Their example is given us as a warning against disobedience, that we may be sure that the wages of sin is death, that God's retributive justice never fails, and that He exacts from His creatures a strict regard for His commandments. {4T 11.3}

There are two types of forces and compelling power - good and evil. The following passages describe evil types:

Quote:
God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. {DA 759.1}

Evil men, rebuked by his example, will unite with them in seeking to separate him from God by alluring temptations. When these do not succeed, then a compelling power is employed to force the conscience. {GC 610.2}

As America, the land of religious liberty, shall unite with the papacy in forcing the conscience and compelling men to honor the false sabbath, the people of every country on the globe will be led to follow her example. {6T 18}

And the following passages describe good types of compelling power:

Quote:
The third message was to do its work; all were to be tested upon it, and the precious ones were to be called out from the religious bodies. A compelling power moved the honest, while the manifestation of the power of God brought a fear and restraint upon their unbelieving relatives and friends so that they dared not, neither had they the power to, hinder those who felt the work of the Spirit of God upon them. {EW 278.1}

Through the kindness and long-suffering of His messengers, the invitation becomes a compelling power to uplift those who are sunken in the lowest depths of sin. {GW 506.1}

They exhort us to take that Word as the man of our counsel, and the rule of our faith and practice. And with a compelling power, they entreat us to study long and diligently its pages, and become familiar with its teaching, for it is to judge us in the last day. {LS 470.2}

They must commence the work of reform and elevate their lives, so that in conversation and deportment their acts, their lives, will be a continual recommendation of their faith and will have such a winning, compelling power upon unbelievers that they will be compelled to acknowledge that they are the children of God. {OHC 230.5}

Let the young, devoted followers of Christ say, "The love of Christ constraineth me." Moving upon minds with the force of the grace of Christ, this love casts aside all hindrances and barriers, exerting upon souls a compelling influence that leads them to give themselves to God in unreserved consecration. {RY 49.1}

Through the grace of Christ I experienced a divine compelling power to stand before my ministering brethren, in the name of the Lord, hoping and praying that the Lord would open the blind eyes. {3SM 175.4}

When God moves upon the hearts of men to draw them to Christ, it seems that a compelling power comes over them, and they believe, and give themselves up to the influence of the Spirit of God. {TDG 52.3}

Time is so short and ministers of these last days are so few that they should throw all their energies into the work, and should be in close connection with God and holy angels, that a tremendous power may be in their preaching--a compelling power, to draw every soul who is honest and loves the truth right along to embrace it. {VSS 219.1}

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #118013
08/23/09 03:17 PM
08/23/09 03:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - All of the above speaks to the plagues in that God did indeed execute retributive justice in sending the plagues on Egypt. In the end, God will again send plagues as retributive justice. All this is consistent with - God is love. All "the manifestations of retributive justice will be perfectly consistent with the character of God as a merciful, long-suffering, benevolent being."

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #118014
08/23/09 03:24 PM
08/23/09 03:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
The same angel who had left the royal courts of heaven to rescue Peter from the power of his persecutor, had been the messenger of wrath and judgment to Herod. The angel smote Peter to arouse him from slumber; but it was with a different stroke that he smote the wicked king, bringing mortal disease upon him. God poured contempt upon Herod's pride, and his person, which he had exhibited decked in shining apparel before the admiring gaze of the people, was eaten by worms, and putrefied while yet alive. Herod died in great agony of mind and body, under the retributive justice of God. {SR 299.2}

Tom, what do you make of this inspired insight? Would you say the holy angel named above slew the wicked king with a different stroke by permitting an evil angel to do it?

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #118015
08/23/09 03:26 PM
08/23/09 03:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: MM, I was the one who pointed out God's involvement in nature to you! (You had made statements making it sound like nature was self acting). Of course God is involved in nature. He has to manage it.

MM:I'm glad you straightened me out. Thank you. I learn a lot studying with you.

I'm curious how far your tongue was in your cheek when you wrote the first sentence. smile Regarding the last two, thank you also; I've learned a lot in our discussions as well.

Quote:
T: Sin has caused nature to act in ways it was not originally designed. For example, consider the vast oceans. Consider the extremes of temperature change, of moisture, etc.

M:I thought you just said God is the one who manages the forces of nature. Are you suggesting sin causes the forces of nature to cause natural disasters?

I'm saying that because of Satan's success on our planet, nature, including the weather, does not work as God originally intended it to.

Quote:
M:I do not see God using force or violence to compel or coerce Pharaoh in this passage. Do you?

Of course not, because I don't read the passage the same way you do. If I read the passage the way you do (i.e., perceived the things to have happened the way you do) I would say yes.

To put it another way, the way you perceive God as acting is that He escalated the use of His power until Pharaoh gave in. Since I've avoided the use of the words "force" or "violence," I think I've said this in a way you would agree with. So let's stop here for a moment, and let me ask, do you agree that I have characterized your view correctly? That is, do you agree with the following:

God escalated the use of His power until Pharaoh gave in.

Quote:
It amazes me that anyone can read statements like this one and conclude God permitted evil angels to cause the death and destruction that plagued Egypt on ten different occasions.

Allow me to make a correction here. It's not necessarily the case that evil angels caused the death and destruction for every plague. This has been pointed out before. God's protection involves a number of spheres.

The principle is described by the following:

Quote:
God has exercised through His angels over the children of men in their travels, in their own houses, in their eating and drinking. Wherever they are, His eye is upon them. They are preserved from a thousand dangers, all to them unseen.(14 MR 2)

If God lifts His protecting hand, then we see the effects of these unseen dangers. In the plagues we see 10 of the dangers from which God was protecting the Egyptians. His power is shown in that we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg. That is, God's removing His protection resulted in such devastation as the Egyptian plagues. We can't even imagine how powerful God really is in protecting them against the 990 unseen dangers He didn't remove His protection from.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 81 of 91 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by Rick H. 06/28/24 08:37 PM
"Justice" or torture?
by kland. 06/28/24 08:28 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/21/24 08:34 AM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:14 PM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
LGBTQ+ Rainbow Decorates SDA Website
by ProdigalOne. 06/29/24 06:22 AM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/27/24 03:58 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:57 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 06/17/24 05:52 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!