HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,204
Posts195,703
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 8
kland 7
asygo 2
Daryl 2
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
asygo
asygo
California, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, daylily, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 82 of 91 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #118019
08/23/09 03:46 PM
08/23/09 03:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: I think that's a very odd way of putting things. It's hard to know exactly what it means. I would say that God manages nature, and if He withdraws His management, bad things are bound to happen.

M:Why are bad things bound to happen? What laws or forces would be at work when God stops managing nature?

There's too many to list. One example of God's managing things for the protection of man is in the great beasts such as dinosaurs dying out. The SOP points out that man did not have the strength to manage these beasts.

Quote:
MM:I see no place in the Bible or the SOP where God is portrayed as using force or violence to get His way.

The Egyptian plagues is one such example. Do you think the following are true?

1.God caused the plagues to happen?
2.God did so to get His way?

The only way I think you could deny what I said was to say that the plagues did not involve force or violence. Is this your contention?

Quote:
M:Nor do I see a relative or rational connection between Jesus suffering and dying as our Substitute and Jesus executing justice and judgment.

We disagree on this point. I believe there is a connection, and that because you don't perceive this connection, you are not interpreting the violent events of the OT correctly.

Quote:
You seem to be making the same mistake John did.

We disagree on this point. I think you're making the same mistake the Jews did in regards to Christ's first coming, by missing the spiritual implications. For example, in DA 107, 108, I think your understanding of things is similar to the Jews:

Quote:
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them....

At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 107,108)

I think you interpret this in physical/literal terms instead of spiritually, which is the same mistake the Jews made. I think the principles involved here are the same principles involved at the cross. We're not dealing with two different Gods here. All that can be known of God really was revealed in the life and character of His Son during the first Advent. Only as we understand what Christ revealed in the first Advent can we understand what happens in the second.

I think it's because of a lack of this understanding that Christ hasn't come. The same mindset the Jews had prevails.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #118020
08/23/09 03:58 PM
08/23/09 03:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC, this isn't dealing with the issue. Here's how the example works:

1.In the example, you represent Pharaoh.
2.The fellow making demands represents God.
3.The fellow threatens violence against your property and family if you don't give in to his demand. This represents God's doing the same thing in regards to His demand against pharaoh.

The questions are:
1.Is the fellow in the example using compelling power to force your will?
2.How does the fellow's actions in the example not represent your view of God's actions in the plagues?

GC:Tom,

This greatly misrepresents God. Your questions here are akin to asking a man if he has stopped beating his wife. No answer can be a correct or appropriate response. God is not who you think He is, and God is not who you think I think He is.

Let me ask you this, does a death penalty represent "threatening violence?"

Keep in mind that all of Egypt represented LOST PEOPLE. They did not know God. If God had to use extraordinary means to awaken them to a realization of their true condition and of the true power of the King of the Universe, I would hope He would do so. Doing nothing will save no one. Even killing a few for the salvation of others is better than killing none and saving none, don't you think?

Sin is like a cancer. The surgeon must frequently remove good parts of the body (kill them) in order to save the rest of the body. We frequently hear of people who have lost a lung, a kidney, their voice box, etc. in order to preserve their life. Did the Doctor do "violence" to them?

I object to the use of this word under the circumstances.

GC, my question is a legitimate question, and an important one. I'll try again to state it in a way that it doesn't come across as a wife-beating question, and hope you will address it.

In the case of the plagues of the Egyptians, as I perceive your view of things, God used His power to achieve His purposes. He did so by escalating the destruction He Himself was causing against the Egyptians bit by bit until they could no longer resist His power.

Now this is accurate, isn't it? That is, I have accurately represented your view?

Let's stop here for a moment, and see if you agree with this characterization of your view, and go on from there, and if so, I can get back to my question.

Regarding your example with the Doctor, that doesn't seem to work at all. For one thing, the Doctor is acting to save a life, and doesn't destroy any lives in so doing. Unless you wish to make the cancer (or the lung, or kidney, etc.) into a living being with rights to live, the Doctor isn't acting destructively. Also, you'd have to be equating the Doctor's removing the cancer with God's killing people by dropping giant stones of hail on them, and such like. That doesn't work.

(Note, I changed "get His way" to "achieve His purposes," as it seemed you were objecting to this phrase. I don't want an objectionable use of a phrase to get in the way of discussing the underlying issues involve)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #118023
08/23/09 04:07 PM
08/23/09 04:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, in the quotes you presented regarding the two types of compelling power, which type do you see God using in the case of the Egyptian plagues? Assuming you say it's the good kind, how do you see that playing out?

Quote:
MM:Tom, what do you make of this inspired insight? Would you say the holy angel named above slew the wicked king with a different stroke by permitting an evil angel to do it?

Yes, they were different strokes. In the case of Herod, the angel's stroke released the power of God which was protecting Herod from one of a thousand dangers, all unseen.

Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #118044
08/23/09 09:18 PM
08/23/09 09:18 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
post 117952 the post in context:
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Tom
It's true that nature is governed by laws which God created, and true that God manages nature, but it's not true that if a tornado happens, or any other natural disaster, that God made that happen.

Not true?
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The day of test and purification is just upon us. Signs of a most startling character appear, in floods, in hurricanes, in tornadoes, in cloudbursts, in casualties by land and by sea, that proclaim the approach of the end of all things. The judgments of God are falling on the world, that men may be awakened to the fact that Christ will come speedily (RH Nov. 8, 1892). {7BC 950.5}

The passing days are eventful and full of peril. Signs of a most startling character appear in floods, in hurricanes, in tornadoes, in earthquakes, in casualties by sea and land. The judgments of God are falling on the world, that men may be awakened to the fact that Christ will come speedily. {SW, March 1, 1909 par. 2}
[The Watchman]

It seems to be true at least some of the time.
your original post above and subsequent post below do not seem to be matching up.

Not true?
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The day of test and purification is just upon us. Signs of a most startling character appear, in floods, in hurricanes, in tornadoes, in cloudbursts, in casualties by land and by sea, that proclaim the approach of the end of all things. The judgments of God are falling on the world, that men may be awakened to the fact that Christ will come speedily (RH Nov. 8, 1892). {7BC 950.5}

The passing days are eventful and full of peril. Signs of a most startling character appear in floods, in hurricanes, in tornadoes, in earthquakes, in casualties by sea and land. The judgments of God are falling on the world, that men may be awakened to the fact that Christ will come speedily. {SW, March 1, 1909 par. 2}[The Watchman]
It seems to be true at least some of the time.
Originally Posted By: teresaq
it seems to be more a matter of how one sees what is stated, how they understand it.

if i understand you correctly you are saying that God is the One pouring out death and destruction,

You don't understand me correctly, it appears. Where in my two brief sentences (bolded above) do you get that God is the one pouring out death and destruction?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #118053
08/23/09 11:05 PM
08/23/09 11:05 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
GC, my question is a legitimate question, and an important one. I'll try again to state it in a way that it doesn't come across as a wife-beating question, and hope you will address it.

In the case of the plagues of the Egyptians, as I perceive your view of things, God used His power to achieve His purposes. He did so by escalating the destruction He Himself was causing against the Egyptians bit by bit until they could no longer resist His power.

Now this is accurate, isn't it? That is, I have accurately represented your view?

Yes, this fairly accurate. However, it is not complete. It is possible that you misunderstood why God would do this as a result of not understanding the full picture.

Let's stop here for a moment, and see if you agree with this characterization of your view, and go on from there, and if so, I can get back to my question.

I agree with this, so feel free to continue.
Regarding your example with the Doctor, that doesn't seem to work at all. For one thing, the Doctor is acting to save a life, and doesn't destroy any lives in so doing. Unless you wish to make the cancer (or the lung, or kidney, etc.) into a living being with rights to live, the Doctor isn't acting destructively. Also, you'd have to be equating the Doctor's removing the cancer with God's killing people by dropping giant stones of hail on them, and such like. That doesn't work.

Why does it not work because the Doctor is acting to save a life? Do you not think God is doing the same thing?

Paul, in the New Testament, compared the body organs to individual members of the church. My example evokes the same line of thought. Jesus used the example of branches of a tree, and Paul spoke of removing the "natural branches" in order to replace them with those grafted in. Do you not see these branches as representing people? But of course, the church is one body. Yet individual members, if cut off from the Vine, would die, would they not?

Originally Posted By: Jesus
I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. (John 15:1, KJV)

Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. (John 15:2, KJV)

If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. (John 15:6, KJV)

Would it matter how God removed those branches? If He removes them, they die, right? It could be by saw, by flame, by giant hailstone to knock them off, or by disease which causes them to drop away...in any scenario, the end result is that the branch will die--and that branch represents a person. So, it seems in this sense, we have a portion of God's character revealed through Jesus that parallels the character He demonstrated in the plagues.
(Note, I changed "get His way" to "achieve His purposes," as it seemed you were objecting to this phrase. I don't want an objectionable use of a phrase to get in the way of discussing the underlying issues involve)

Tom, the "get his way" phrase is commonly used here on earth today in speaking of the most selfish of motives. It is definitely objectionable in applying such selfishness to God, for God is not selfish.

Yes, God achieves His unselfish purposes. What may even seem selfish to us, would not thus appear could we be permitted to see the whole picture.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #118070
08/24/09 05:13 AM
08/24/09 05:13 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quantum mechanics involves randomness, and chaos theory that a small change can result in drastic, unpredictable change.

QM involves randomness, but "unpredictability of individual events" is probably more accurate.

However, CT is not unpredictable. It is deterministic. "A small change can result in drastic, unpredictable change" is correct. Unlike QM, CT is unpredictable only because we lack information or processing power. Given all the necessary initial conditions (position and momentum of every particle) and enough time to do the calculations, the outcome is predictable.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #118076
08/24/09 12:08 PM
08/24/09 12:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Not necessarily. Chaos may or may not be deterministic. Also, even in deterministic chaotic systems, there is noise, making the results unpredictable. Also, what happens if the initial conditions are themselves random? When one puts together randomness with small changes resulting in drastic changes/unpredictable behavior, what results is a very different world than the one Newton envisioned. This is without even taking into account free will.

Did God create a world which is truly spontaneous, even for Him? Or is the world He created in actuality deterministic, where if one simply had enough information, nothing would be spontaneous? This is an open question, but I believe the former is the case.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #118086
08/24/09 03:19 PM
08/24/09 03:19 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
When one puts together randomness with small changes resulting in drastic changes/unpredictable behavior, what results is a very different world than the one Newton envisioned. This is without even taking into account free will.

You are conflating the issue of unpredictability due to lack of information in Classical Mechanics with the unpredictability due to the probabilistic nature of the universe (i.e., the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle) in Quantum Mechanics. It would strengthen your argument to stick with the QM/HUP analogy, and leave Chaos Theory out of it.

In theory, Newtonian Mechanics fully explains all the "randomness" and extreme variability found in CT. Quantum Mechanics has unpredictability built into the theory. Your idea fits QM better.

However, that doesn't mean I'll agree with your idea. wink

Did God create a world which is truly spontaneous, even for Him? Or is the world He created in actuality deterministic, where if one simply had enough information, nothing would be spontaneous? This is an open question, but I believe the former is the case.

I'll ask my question again in the context of GC 35: When God's protection was withdrawn, did God know what was going to happen next?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #118087
08/24/09 03:20 PM
08/24/09 03:20 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Post content removed by moderation team.

Last edited by Green Cochoa; 08/31/09 11:10 AM. Reason: Edited for content

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #118089
08/24/09 03:40 PM
08/24/09 03:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Chaos theory doesn't have to be deterministic. For example, there's quantum chaos theory. Also if the initial conditions are random, then the chaotic system will be unpredictable. Also there may be unknown factors in a system which have unknown effects (e.g. noise). So it's certainly not necessarily the case that if one just had more accurate information and better measuring devices, one could do things like perfectly predict weather. Perhaps a probabilistic model better reflects reality.

Quote:
T:Did God create a world which is truly spontaneous, even for Him? Or is the world He created in actuality deterministic, where if one simply had enough information, nothing would be spontaneous? This is an open question, but I believe the former is the case.

A:I'll ask my question again in the context of GC 35: When God's protection was withdrawn, did God know what was going to happen next?

I'm not understanding the motivation of this question. If you're asking if God knew Jerusalem would be destroyed, certainly. Even Jesus in His humanity knew this.

Page 82 of 91 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Looks like the debate was a disaster for Biden.
by ProdigalOne. 06/29/24 06:10 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by Rick H. 06/28/24 08:37 PM
"Justice" or torture?
by kland. 06/28/24 08:28 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/21/24 08:34 AM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:14 PM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
LGBTQ+ Rainbow Decorates SDA Website
by ProdigalOne. 06/29/24 06:22 AM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/27/24 03:58 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:57 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 06/17/24 05:52 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!