HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 71 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100380
06/30/08 07:58 PM
06/30/08 07:58 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think God offered them the same covenant He offered to Abraham, but they misunderstood His gracious promises as a bunch of rules they should keep in order to try to be good enough to make God happy. Rather than believe God's promises to make them good (i.e. remake them in the image of Christ), they undertook to promise to be good themselves.

Paul speaks of the OC in very negative terms. I have trouble understanding how God would have created something which would have these negative characteristics.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100381
06/30/08 08:26 PM
06/30/08 08:26 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
I think God offered them the same covenant He offered to Abraham, but they misunderstood His gracious promises as a bunch of rules they should keep in order to try to be good enough to make God happy. Rather than believe God's promises to make them good (i.e. remake them in the image of Christ), they undertook to promise to be good themselves.

Paul speaks of the OC in very negative terms. I have trouble understanding how God would have created something which would have these negative characteristics.

Hi Tom,

But if God’s intent was simply asking them to carry the seed of the Messiah and the prophetic evidence of Christ down through the ages and deliver it to the world then the only negative thing is their misunderstanding. Paul makes it clear that the problem was not with the law, but with Israel’s understanding of the law. He concludes that the law, that was done away with, is just and good.

If God were to look down today and ask us if we wanted to represent Him what would we say? What if we said yes so He gave us a health message so that we could be an example of health to the nations? What if He gave us instructions on how we could treat each other better and get along better so that we could represent Him better? What if He entrusted us with truth about His character that we were to carry to the end of time? What if He sent us prophets periodically to keep us on the right track?

What if we got so far off His purpose that He had to choose another group of people to represent Him?

What if we thought that God chose us because we were special and better than everyone else rather than because He wanted to use our physical, mental, and spiritual health as a witness of His goodness?

scott

Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100382
06/30/08 08:54 PM
06/30/08 08:54 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think what happened is that God made chicken soup out of chicken droppings. He wanted to do the same thing with them as He did with Abraham, but they weren't willing. But God, being God, was able to give them all sorts of good things.

The negativity that Paul expresses I think derives from their mind set, which was their desire to do the things (of themselves, by their own initiative and power) which God had promised them. Had they simply believed God's promise to them, as Abraham did, the negativity would have been avoided, and there wouldn't have been an Old Covenant. Instead (assuming they continued along the same vein) the Messiah would have come and the whole mess of sin would have been taken care long ago.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100383
06/30/08 09:27 PM
06/30/08 09:27 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
I agree! Had they seen the covenant in the right light they would have accepted Jesus and the Christian church would have been added to Israel of the flesh. They would have shut down the sacrifice, feast, ceremonies, and priesthood realizing that Jesus fulfilled them all. Israel would be overflowing with men beating there swords in to plowshares and spears into pruning hooks and we would learn war no more.

scott

Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100384
06/30/08 09:46 PM
06/30/08 09:46 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
They would have shut down the sacrifice, feast, ceremonies, and priesthood realizing that Jesus fulfilled them all.

Most of this they wouldn't even have had, right?

Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100389
07/01/08 02:31 PM
07/01/08 02:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
PP 312
Having sprinkled the altar with the blood of the offerings, Moses "took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people." Thus the conditions of the covenant were solemnly repeated, and all were at liberty to choose whether or not they would comply with them. They had at the first promised to obey the voice of God; but they had since heard His law proclaimed; and its principles had been particularized, that they might know how much this covenant involved. Again the people answered with one accord, "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient." "When Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood, . . . and sprinkled both the book and all the people, saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you." Hebrews 9:19, 20. {PP 312.2}

Hi MM,

I believe that Tom’s point is that the COI entered a covenant believing they could keep it and secure a better position with God. Even if the covenant was God’s idea, which I believe it was, it wasn’t God’s intention to offer Israel a covenant where their righteousness would gain them favor with God. His intention was to make them happy and prosperous in front of the whole world as a witness to His goodness.

They were to be God’s evangelists. They misunderstood this and believed that God wanted them to keep the law to earn salvation. So the covenant that God offered wasn’t the one they agreed to. The problem was in their mind!

scott

What do you think they were agreeing to if not to obey the laws of God?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100390
07/01/08 02:40 PM
07/01/08 02:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
S: But if God’s intent was simply asking them to carry the seed of the Messiah and the prophetic evidence of Christ down through the ages and deliver it to the world then the only negative thing is their misunderstanding. Paul makes it clear that the problem was not with the law, but with Israel’s understanding of the law. He concludes that the law, that was done away with, is just and good.

TE: I think what happened is that God made chicken soup out of chicken droppings.

I'm sorry, Tom, but I have to agree with Scott. God gave the COI a Covenant, which included the Law of Moses, as a blessing and benefit. Their unwillingness to cooperate with God to fulfill it in His strength is why they failed to honor and glorify Him. The conditions they were supposed to comply with (see quote above) were holy, just, and good - not a result of God compromising and accommodating their sinfulness.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100396
07/01/08 04:04 PM
07/01/08 04:04 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
God gave the COI a Covenant, which included the Law of Moses, as a blessing and benefit.

I agree with this.

Quote:
Their unwillingness to cooperate with God to fulfill it in His strength is why they failed to honor and glorify Him.

I agree with this too.

Quote:
The conditions they were supposed to comply with (see quote above) were holy, just, and good - not a result of God compromising and accommodating their sinfulness.

I agree with this too.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100423
07/02/08 06:49 AM
07/02/08 06:49 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA

Originally Posted By: scott
PP 312
Having sprinkled the altar with the blood of the offerings, Moses "took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people." Thus the conditions of the covenant were solemnly repeated, and all were at liberty to choose whether or not they would comply with them. They had at the first promised to obey the voice of God; but they had since heard His law proclaimed; and its principles had been particularized, that they might know how much this covenant involved. Again the people answered with one accord, "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient." "When Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood, . . . and sprinkled both the book and all the people, saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you." Hebrews 9:19, 20. {PP 312.2}

Hi MM,

I believe that Tom’s point is that the COI entered a covenant believing they could keep it and secure a better position with God. Even if the covenant was God’s idea, which I believe it was, it wasn’t God’s intention to offer Israel a covenant where their righteousness would gain them favor with God. His intention was to make them happy and prosperous in front of the whole world as a witness to His goodness.

They were to be God’s evangelists. They misunderstood this and believed that God wanted them to keep the law to earn salvation. So the covenant that God offered wasn’t the one they agreed to. The problem was in their mind!

scott

What do you think they were agreeing to if not to obey the laws of God?

I think they believed that God was offering them a higher position on earth than any other man. They thought God was going to cause the world to serve them, but God was asking them to serve the world! They agreed to God’s terms totally misunderstanding God’s character. Had they known God they would have know that the greatest in His kingdom is the greatest servant of all.

Had they understood this they would have bowed before God and cried, “This is impossible for us Lord! We believe, but save us from our unbelief. We don’t know how to be slaves willingly. We’ve been forced to serve for 400 years and we hate our masters. How can we serve with love in our hearts for our enemies? Save us Lord!”

I really believe that had the COI understood what God was asking them they would have declined! God would have immediately given them the New Covenant written in Jerimiah 31 because their hearts were humble and the bible would have been written much differently as far as Israel goes.

scott

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100441
07/02/08 04:58 PM
07/02/08 04:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
God gave the COI a Covenant, which included the Law of Moses, as a blessing and benefit.

I agree with this.

Quote:
Their unwillingness to cooperate with God to fulfill it in His strength is why they failed to honor and glorify Him.

I agree with this too.

Quote:
The conditions they were supposed to comply with (see quote above) were holy, just, and good - not a result of God compromising and accommodating their sinfulness.

I agree with this too.

Do you disagree with anything I've posted on this thread?

Page 12 of 71 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!