HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,973
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 3 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #118352
08/29/09 07:59 AM
08/29/09 07:59 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: teresaq

If we are not born with thoughts and feelings, can such even be considered human?
while babies are definitely human their brains are incapable of "thought". thought requires knowing language. knowing language requires a learning process and the right synapses. this happens over time.

In such a "thoughtless" condition, can they be filled with the Spirit?
and the connection would be?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #118355
08/29/09 08:49 AM
08/29/09 08:49 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
but, as i said, if you are able to have thoughts without language, words, you are a scientific anomaly!

I guess I'm an anomaly then. Though I do not expect to be the only one.

It might be easier to make a case for babies being born without thoughts if those babies, in addition to not having a language, had no sight, hearing, smell, feeling, taste, or sense of balance. How often does this happen?

Would you have us believe that what you see or hear is a "feeling"?

Language is certainly not necessary for thought, though thoughts are often shaped by it. When one learns to do true speed reading, the last, and most difficult step to learn, is that of no longer pronouncing the words in one's mind. The speed reader must allow those "words" (patterned symbols on paper) to pass directly to thoughts without the use of any verbalization or words. In other words, when one sees "tree" on the paper, one sees a picture of what that represents in place of representing that concept with a word. I call this step of speed reading "passing the sound barrier." It is very hard to separate the verbalization from the process...but once you can accomplish this, you can read immensely faster. I was able to achieve 1500 WPM, whereas before passing the sound barrier I could read a maximum of about 500 WPM. Any true speed reader should recognize the capacity to think without words. Of course, a case can also be made that without those words in the first place, the thoughts would have not existed in the mind. However, if a baby sees a tree, can the baby not interpret the image at all for lack of knowing the word "tree"?

For another case in point, study the phenomenon that sometimes occurs between twins. I have witnessed this myself. Two identical twin brothers, about two years old, used their own language to communicate with each other. I heard the words clearly, but they were not words any one of us had ever heard. No one knew those words except those twins. For those twins, just two or three syllables seemed to carry the meaning of a full sentence for us. As they grew older, they learned English, forgot their "brother tongue," and now laugh with the rest of us about those days. Where did they get their language? How could language develop without language? How could it develop without thought?

I'm not the only witness to this phenomenon. It is estimated to occur in about 40% of identical twins, so this seems hardly to be an "anomaly" among those in this group. Some parents feel their twins need speech therapy as a result of this, as indicated in the following quote I found online:

Quote:
Judith Andersen’s three-year-old fraternal twin daughters, Lauren and Jenna, have been in speech therapy for six months to help break the code of their jargon and get their English up to speed. “I felt very left out by their language and it was extremely frustrating trying to figure out what they wanted,” says the Livingston, N.J. mom. “They were evaluated at two years and two months because they were not speaking English. They were speaking “twinnish.” Her daughters were not using two-word sentences and had a vocabulary of only 20 words when 50 was the norm for their age. Today, with the help of therapy, the girls are using three- to four-word sentences and their vocabulary has shot up to more than 50 words. “We’re just working on articulation now. Their twin language is gone except for a few remaining words.”

Jenn Duke of High Point, N.C. says her three-year-old identical twin boys, Cameron and Caden, speak a mixture of English and “twin.” “It’s as if they are speaking completely clear and normal to each other but we don’t always know what they are saying,” she says. Their use of ‘shared understanding’ isn’t a cause of concern, however, since the boys can “turn it off” and communicate to mom and dad easily. “I don’t mind when they do it because it’s cute and their speech is fine.”

(To be continued in another post...though perhaps not right away.)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #118358
08/29/09 02:22 PM
08/29/09 02:22 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Character involves more than thoughts and feelings. The moral decisions that one makes plays a vital part. If all that determined character were thoughts and feelings, then creatures like cockroaches and beetles have character.

Quote:
...the thoughts and feelings combined make up the moral character. {RH, April 21, 1885 par. 2}

My, Arnold. If you had simply quoted the context, my point would be clear:

Quote:
We should not allow our minds to be swayed from allegiance to God. Through Christ we may and should be happy, and should acquire habits of self-control. Even the thoughts must be brought into subjection to the will of God, and the feelings under the control of reason and religion. Our imagination was not given us to be allowed to run riot and have its own way, without any effort at restraint and discipline. If the thoughts are wrong, the feelings will be wrong; and the thoughts and feelings combined make up the moral character. When we decide that as Christians we are not required to restrain our thoughts and feelings, we are brought under the influence of evil angels, and invite their presence and their control. If we yield to our impressions and allow our thoughts to run in a channel of suspicion, doubt, and repining, we shall be unhappy, and our lives will prove a failure.

I was wondering why you cut this off and only posted a portion of a phrase. The things in bold bring out the importance of decisions, the point I made.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #118359
08/29/09 02:31 PM
08/29/09 02:31 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
t:but, as i said, if you are able to have thoughts without language, words, you are a scientific anomaly!

It's clear you and gc are using the words "thoughts" differently. In the sense of developing character, what you're saying makes sense. Animals don't develop character, but they have thoughts in the sense that gc is speaking of.

The concept of words and language is an interesting one. Deaf people do thing in terms of language, but their language is visual, not spoken, and their words are not words as we, who think verbally, think of them. But linguists have identified that all the constructs present in verbal language and thought are present in theirs. If they have a stroke which involves the language part of the brain, for example, they can't sign. Which makes sense, if you think about it, but for a long time sign language was not considered to be a language.

Just an aside.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #118374
08/29/09 11:37 PM
08/29/09 11:37 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
asygo: If we are not born with thoughts and feelings, can such even be considered human?

tq: while babies are definitely human their brains are incapable of "thought". thought requires knowing language. knowing language requires a learning process and the right synapses. this happens over time.

asygo: In such a "thoughtless" condition, can they be filled with the Spirit?

tq: and the connection would be?

Answer my question first, then I'll answer yours. Actually, if you dig in the SOP to find the answer to mine, you will find the answer to yours at the same time.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #118376
08/30/09 12:01 AM
08/30/09 12:01 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
T:Character involves more than thoughts and feelings. The moral decisions that one makes plays a vital part. If all that determined character were thoughts and feelings, then creatures like cockroaches and beetles have character.

Quote:
...the thoughts and feelings combined make up the moral character. {RH, April 21, 1885 par. 2}

My, Arnold. If you had simply quoted the context, my point would be clear:

Quote:
We should not allow our minds to be swayed from allegiance to God. Through Christ we may and should be happy, and should acquire habits of self-control. Even the thoughts must be brought into subjection to the will of God, and the feelings under the control of reason and religion. Our imagination was not given us to be allowed to run riot and have its own way, without any effort at restraint and discipline. If the thoughts are wrong, the feelings will be wrong; and the thoughts and feelings combined make up the moral character. When we decide that as Christians we are not required to restrain our thoughts and feelings, we are brought under the influence of evil angels, and invite their presence and their control. If we yield to our impressions and allow our thoughts to run in a channel of suspicion, doubt, and repining, we shall be unhappy, and our lives will prove a failure.

I was wondering why you cut this off and only posted a portion of a phrase. The things in bold bring out the importance of decisions, the point I made.

If you look at the wider context of the writings of EGW, you will find that Christians also read the Bible, pray, eat fruits, exercise, breathe fresh air, and drink clean water. While true, none of those "make up the moral character."

You are not practicing what you preach. You have been trying to convince us for a while that everything we can know of God can be found in the 33 years that Jesus walked the earth, based on a couple of SOP quotes. The formula is simple: all X has been revealed in Y.

Here, we have a similarly simple formula: thoughts + feelings = moral character. She is very clear. Yes, there are other things involved in the Christian life, but what constitutes character is as clear as 1 + 2 = 3.

But you're confusing yourself with all the other stuff surrounding the statement. "The thoughts and feelings combined make up the moral character." There are other things to consider, but character = thoughts + feelings.

Some might even say you are adding to God's word: The thoughts and feelings combined with moral decisions make up the moral character.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #118384
08/30/09 02:03 AM
08/30/09 02:03 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: Character involves more than thoughts and feelings. The moral decisions that one makes plays a vital part. If all that determined character were thoughts and feelings, then creatures like cockroaches and beetles have character.

A: "...the thoughts and feelings combined make up the moral character. {RH, April 21, 1885 par. 2}

The following insights shed light on the topic:

A change will be seen in the character, the habits, the pursuits. The contrast will be clear and decided between what they have been and what they are. The character is revealed, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts. (SC 57)

Any one act, either good or evil, does not form the character; but thoughts and feelings indulged prepare the way for acts and deeds of the same kind. It is . . . by a repetition of acts that habits are established and character confirmed. (CG 199)

It is not through one act that the character is formed, but by a repetition of acts that habits are established and character confirmed. (ST 4-30-1894)

Character does not come by chance. It is not determined by one out-burst of temper, one step in the wrong direction. It is the repetition of the act that causes it to become habit, and molds the character either for good or for evil. (CG 164)

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Mountain Man] #118385
08/30/09 02:04 AM
08/30/09 02:04 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
M: The traits we inherit but do not cultivate do not count against us in judgment. Only those inherited traits we ourselves cultivate count for character in judgment. Uncultivated traits are dormant and do not count against us in judgment. Do you agree?

R: Yes, but I believe they do not count against us because of Christ's sacrifice.

It is the character we ourselves develop, not what our parents developed, that will determine our eternal destiny in judgment. Traits are neutral. Whether we develop good or bad traits depends on our relationship to Jesus. Tendencies, however, are not neutral. We inherit tendencies that tempt us from within to be unlike Jesus. These tendencies, however, will not count against us in judgment. Again, it is what we ourselves do as we interact with them that will determine our eternal destiny in judgment. Just because they tempt us, it does not mean we are guilty or that we require the atoning blood of Jesus. It is not a sin to be tempted.

"The harvest of life is character, and it is this that determines destiny, both for this life and for the life to come. The harvest is a reproduction of the seed sown. Every seed yields fruit after its kind. So it is with the traits of character we cherish. Selfishness, self-love, self-esteem, self-indulgence, reproduce themselves; and the end is wretchedness and ruin. "He that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting." Galatians 6:8. Love, sympathy, and kindness yield fruitage of blessing, a harvest that is imperishable. {CG 162.4}

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #118394
08/30/09 04:37 AM
08/30/09 04:37 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
t:but, as i said, if you are able to have thoughts without language, words, you are a scientific anomaly!

It's clear you and gc are using the words "thoughts" differently. In the sense of developing character, what you're saying makes sense. Animals don't develop character, but they have thoughts in the sense that gc is speaking of.

The concept of words and language is an interesting one. Deaf people do thing in terms of language, but their language is visual, not spoken, and their words are not words as we, who think verbally, think of them. But linguists have identified that all the constructs present in verbal language and thought are present in theirs. If they have a stroke which involves the language part of the brain, for example, they can't sign. Which makes sense, if you think about it, but for a long time sign language was not considered to be a language.

Just an aside.
animals do have "language", and visual language is still language in my opinion.

in fact, come to think of it, the baby goats and sheep born here are born already capable of "speech". they are more developed than a human newborn.

but it occurs to me some may not be conscious of their thoughts.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #118395
08/30/09 04:47 AM
08/30/09 04:47 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
asygo: If we are not born with thoughts and feelings, can such even be considered human?

tq: while babies are definitely human their brains are incapable of "thought". thought requires knowing language. knowing language requires a learning process and the right synapses. this happens over time.

asygo: In such a "thoughtless" condition, can they be filled with the Spirit?

tq: and the connection would be?

Answer my question first, then I'll answer yours. Actually, if you dig in the SOP to find the answer to mine, you will find the answer to yours at the same time.
thats ok. you are the one who saw some kind of connection not i. smile

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/18/24 12:45 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!