HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #118455
08/31/09 03:40 AM
08/31/09 03:40 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: asygo
asygo: If we are not born with thoughts and feelings, can such even be considered human?

tq: while babies are definitely human their brains are incapable of "thought". thought requires knowing language. knowing language requires a learning process and the right synapses. this happens over time.

asygo: In such a "thoughtless" condition, can they be filled with the Spirit?

tq: and the connection would be?

Answer my question first, then I'll answer yours. Actually, if you dig in the SOP to find the answer to mine, you will find the answer to yours at the same time.
thats ok. you are the one who saw some kind of connection not i. smile

You can just say, "I don't know." It's much more gracious than the "why do you ask that?" evasion you and others use.

John the Baptist was born filled with the Spirit. But you claim that he was born without the ability to think, and therefore, no character. That means character is not required for being filled with the Spirit. That is the conclusion of the position you've taken.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #118464
08/31/09 05:29 AM
08/31/09 05:29 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
animals do have "language", and visual language is still language in my opinion.

in fact, come to think of it, the baby goats and sheep born here are born already capable of "speech". they are more developed than a human newborn.

but it occurs to me some may not be conscious of their thoughts.

Yes, animals don't have self-awareness, which is common to infants as well. I think we normally become self-aware around age 4, but I'm sure that varies from person to person.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #118465
08/31/09 05:53 AM
08/31/09 05:53 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
asygo: If we are not born with thoughts and feelings, can such even be considered human?

tq: while babies are definitely human their brains are incapable of "thought". thought requires knowing language. knowing language requires a learning process and the right synapses. this happens over time.

tq: and the connection would be?

asygo: Answer my question first, then I'll answer yours. Actually, if you dig in the SOP to find the answer to mine, you will find the answer to yours at the same time.
tq: thats ok. you are the one who saw some kind of connection not i. smile

asygo: You can just say, "I don't know." It's much more gracious than the "why do you ask that?" evasion you and others use.

John the Baptist was born filled with the Spirit. But you claim that he was born without the ability to think, and therefore, no character. That means character is not required for being filled with the Spirit. That is the conclusion of the position you've taken.
lets see,

a baby has to have thoughts

so that it can have character

and that is the only way it could be filled with the Holy Spirit.

i guess he had thoughts long before he had neurons and brain synapses according to this:
Quote:
For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, ...and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. ... {RH, February 20, 1900 par. 11}

hmmmm
Quote:
An angel from heaven came to instruct Zacharias and Elizabeth as to how they should train and educate their child, so as to work in harmony with God in preparing a messenger to announce the coming of Christ. As parents they were to faithfully cooperate with God in forming such a character in John as would fit him to perform the part God had assigned him as a competent worker. John was the son of their old age, he was a child of miracle, and the parents might have reasoned that he had a special work to do for the Lord, and the Lord would take care of him. But the parents did not thus reason; they moved to a retired place in the country, where their son would not be exposed to the temptations of city life, or induced to depart from the counsel and instruction which they as parents would give him. They acted their part in developing a character in the child that would in every way meet the purpose for which God had designed his life. By no careless neglect on their part shall their son fail to become good and wise, "to give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide our feet into the way of peace." They sacredly fulfilled their obligation. {ST, April 16, 1896 par. 2}
which is why i asked,
Quote:
and the connection would be?
to your question,
Quote:

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #118467
08/31/09 07:30 AM
08/31/09 07:30 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
i guess he had thoughts long before he had neurons and brain synapses according to this:
Quote:
For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, ...and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. ... {RH, February 20, 1900 par. 11}

Yes, John was filled with the Spirit at birth. Does such filling happen without character?

As for the infants with no neurons or synapses, you must resist the temptation to believe that scientists have it all down pat. I've spent enough years doing science to know better. There are many things science cannot explain. So don't be surprised if character can exist without all the neurons and synapses being in place.

hmmmm
Quote:
An angel from heaven came to instruct Zacharias and Elizabeth as to how they should train and educate their child, so as to work in harmony with God in preparing a messenger to announce the coming of Christ. As parents they were to faithfully cooperate with God in forming such a character in John as would fit him to perform the part God had assigned him as a competent worker. John was the son of their old age, he was a child of miracle, and the parents might have reasoned that he had a special work to do for the Lord, and the Lord would take care of him. But the parents did not thus reason; they moved to a retired place in the country, where their son would not be exposed to the temptations of city life, or induced to depart from the counsel and instruction which they as parents would give him. They acted their part in developing a character in the child that would in every way meet the purpose for which God had designed his life. By no careless neglect on their part shall their son fail to become good and wise, "to give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide our feet into the way of peace." They sacredly fulfilled their obligation. {ST, April 16, 1896 par. 2}

That's a good quote. Let's look at it closer.

You highlighted two important parts: Zacharias and Elizabeth helped FORM John's character, and they helped DEVELOP John's character.

Is it possible that John's character was already FORMED at birth, then DEVELOPED as he grew older? That's what happened with his quadriceps, right? Nobody would argue that since John's quadriceps needed to be developed as he grew older, that he must not have had quadriceps when he was born.

Yet, that is exactly the argument proposed by some of our posters here. They will post quote upon quote that we DEVELOP character by our choices, habits, etc., and from that conclude that there must have been no character to begin with. But that's a fallacy, as anyone who has ever felt a baby's underdeveloped quadriceps can tell you.

Here's another quote to ponder:
Quote:
Man was to bear God's image, both in outward resemblance and in character. Christ alone is "the express image" (Hebrews 1:3) of the Father; but man was formed in the likeness of God. {PP 45.2}

The image and likeness of God, which was given to man, included character. Are babies born in the image of God, even a little bit? Yes, that image has been marred and well-nigh obliterated, but is there something left of God's image in infants?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #118468
08/31/09 07:56 AM
08/31/09 07:56 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Let's see if we can get this back on track...

Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: Tom

2.These are due to an unwillingness on our part.
3.Jesus Christ never chose to sin.

#2 is our big problem. #3 is what Jesus did instead. Jesus did not experience #2 while incarnate.

If Jesus did not experience #2, then how could it be said that He endured every trial we have to endure?

Here's the quote we were wrestling with:
Quote:
Let no one say, I cannot remedy my defects of character. If you come to this decision, you will certainly fail of obtaining everlasting life. The impossibility lies in your own will. If you will not, then you can not overcome. The real difficulty arises from the corruption of an unsanctified heart, and an unwillingness to submit to the control of God. {COL 331.2}

It is clear that we suffer from #2 on your list. I say Jesus did not.

You question how Jesus could have endured every trial we have to endure if He did not suffer #2 as we do. My answer is that He endured it just like He endured being raised by a godless mother, as many of us do. Many are born to godless parents. Did Jesus endure that also? In the same way, He could endure our unwillingnes to submit to God.

Look at that quote again. Where does the "real difficulty" come from? The "corruption of an unsanctified heart." Did Jesus have the same "corruption of an unsanctified heart" that many of us suffer? Did He endure that?

Getting closer to the title of the thread, what was Jesus' nature? Let's look at two statements regarding human nature - one before the Fall, and one after:
Quote:
His nature was in harmony with the will of God. {PP 45.2}

When man transgressed the divine law, his nature became evil, and he was in harmony, and not at variance, with Satan. {GC 505.2}

Which "nature" was Jesus' nature like? The one in harmony with God, or the one in harmony with Satan?

I choose #1.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #118484
08/31/09 02:42 PM
08/31/09 02:42 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, when quoting a list, where you're speaking of items 2 and 3, it would be good to quote the list, at least item 1. You quoted "2.These are due to an unwillingness on our part." without any reference to what "these" is.

1.She's speaking about our not making excuses for our defects of
character.
2.These are due to an unwillingness on our part.
3.Jesus Christ never chose to sin.
4.To overcome He had to confront and overcome the same fallen nature that we do.

Quote:
Let no one say, I cannot remedy my defects of character. If you come to this decision, you will certainly fail of obtaining everlasting life. The impossibility lies in your own will. If you will not, then you can not overcome. The real difficulty arises from the corruption of an unsanctified heart, and an unwillingness to submit to the control of God. {COL 331.2}

It is clear that we suffer from #2 on your list. I say Jesus did not.

You question how Jesus could have endured every trial we have to endure if He did not suffer #2 as we do.

No I don't. I've not asserted this. Perhaps you could quote something I wrote which gave you this impression, and I could comment on that?

I've said He could not have endured every trial we have to endure if He were not tempted in all points as we are. I've said He could not have endured every trial we have to endure if He did not have sinful flesh, such as we have, with its tendencies. Perhaps you had this in mind? If so, this is not the same thing you are claiming I said, which I hope is clear.

I've not said anything different than what our pioneers said. My view is not at all different than Jones, Waggoner, or Prescott, whom Ellen White quoted. It is my conviction that Ellen White's was the same as those whom she was endorsing (on this same subject).

Quote:
His nature was in harmony with the will of God. {PP 45.2}

When man transgressed the divine law, his nature became evil, and he was in harmony, and not at variance, with Satan. {GC 505.2}

Which "nature" was Jesus' nature like? The one in harmony with God, or the one in harmony with Satan?

I choose #1.

We're told that Christ took "our sinful nature" upon His sinless nature. His sinless nature was sinless. The "our sinful nature" which He took upon His sinless nature was not.

If you ask which nature was Jesus' like, my assumption, without your giving any further qualification (it's rather vaguely worded, given the subject at hand) would be His nature was sinless. It was like God's. However, the human nature which He took upon "His sinless nature" was "our sinful nature."

Regarding the question you ask, how do you think Jones, Waggoner, and Prescott would have answered?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #118503
08/31/09 10:07 PM
08/31/09 10:07 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:

Yes, John was filled with the Spirit at birth.
the quote leads one to believe that he was filled with the HS while in his mothers womb. you read it as saying "from birth". that one is up for grabs.

Quote:
asygo: Does such filling happen without character?
this seems to be basing a conclusion on speculation.
Quote:
asygo:As for the infants with no neurons or synapses, ...
this is what was stated:
Quote:
Quote:
you must resist the temptation to believe that scientists have it all down pat.
this seems to be getting into more dealing with the person than the issue.
Quote:
I've spent enough years doing science to know better. There are many things science cannot explain. So don't be surprised if character can exist without all the neurons and synapses being in place.
i wasnt discussing "character". you are.

i am pointing out that for a baby to have thoughts....(already addressed)

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #118504
08/31/09 10:09 PM
08/31/09 10:09 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
continued

Quote:
asygo: You highlighted two important parts: Zacharias and Elizabeth helped FORM John's character, and they helped DEVELOP John's character.

Is it possible that John's character was already FORMED at birth, then DEVELOPED as he grew older?
you seem to be contradicting yourself here.
Quote:
That's what happened with his quadriceps, right? Nobody would argue that since John's quadriceps needed to be developed as he grew older, that he must not have had quadriceps when he was born.
here you are comparing the babys physical state with the babys mental, or moral, state. i dont know that i can consider that a valid comparison. having quadriceps at birth does not, for me, prove that a baby has thoughts at birth.

most babies have a brain at birth as it does quadriceps, both need to be developed. physical with physical.
Quote:
Yet, that is exactly the argument proposed by some of our posters here. They will post quote upon quote that we DEVELOP character by our choices, habits, etc., and from that conclude that there must have been no character to begin with. But that's a fallacy, as anyone who has ever felt a baby's underdeveloped quadriceps can tell you.
this appears to be touching more on the person and the disagreement of the two sides than the issue.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #118505
08/31/09 10:13 PM
08/31/09 10:13 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
in conclusion:

Quote:
asygo: Here's another quote to ponder:
Quote:
Man was to bear God's image, both in outward resemblance and in character. Christ alone is "the express image" (Hebrews 1:3) of the Father; but man was formed in the likeness of God. {PP 45.2}

The image and likeness of God, which was given to man, included character. Are babies born in the image of God, even a little bit? Yes, that image has been marred and well-nigh obliterated, but is there something left of God's image in infants?
i cant see how anything you have said proves that babies are capable of thoughts....

nor do i see how a baby having thoughts or not would be necessary for your argument, if there is any validity to your argument.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: teresaq] #118511
08/31/09 11:24 PM
08/31/09 11:24 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Quote:

Teresa,

Where in Mrs. White's writings do you find that an unborn baby has no thoughts? If you find her saying it, I will believe it. As for the science you presented, it appears to ignore a multitude of others who say differently. Here are just two of the many quotes I found online. I have yet to find even one statement saying babies are born without synapses, or that thoughts start after birth.

Quote:
At birth, a baby’s brain contains 100 billion neurons, roughly as many nerve cells as there are stars in the Milky Way. Before birth, the brain produces trillions more neurons and “synapses” (connections between the brain cells) than needed. During the first years of life, the brain undergoes a series of extraordinary changes. Then, through a process that resembles Darwinian competition, the brain eliminates connections that are seldom or never used.

Quote:
The formation of synaptic contacts in human cerebral cortex was compared in two cortical regions: auditory cortex (Heschl's gyrus) and prefrontal cortex (middle frontal gyrus). Synapse formation in both cortical regions begins in the fetus, before conceptual age 27 weeks. Synaptic density increases more rapidly in auditory cortex, where the maximum is reached near postnatal age 3 months. Maximum synaptic density in middle frontal gyrus is not reached until after age 15 months. Synaptogenesis occurs concurrently with dendritic and axonal growth and with myelination of the subcortical white matter. A phase of net synapse elimination occurs late in childhood, earlier in auditory cortex, where it has ended by age 12 years, than in prefrontal cortex, where it extends to midadolescence. Synaptogenesis and synapse elimination in humans appear to be heterochronous in different cortical regions and, in that respect, appears to differ from the rhesus monkey, where they are concurrent. In other respects, including overproduction of synaptic contacts in infancy, persistence of high levels of synaptic density to late childhood or adolescence, the absolute values of maximum and adult synaptic density, and layer specific differences, findings in the human resemble those in rhesus monkeys. J. Comp. Neurol. 387:167-178, 1997. © 1997 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

In contrast to a synapse-less condition, it appears that there may be far more synapses than are put to use.

Regardless of the science, Biblically-speaking we are sinners from the moment of conception.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. (Psalms 51:5, KJV)

This, of course, is one reason the Catholic church has promoted the idea that Mary was conceived sin-free, so that Jesus would not be conceived "in sin." But this doesn't make much sense, because it seems Mary's mother would have had to have been so-conceived for Mary to not have been thus ill-conceived, and so on up the line. So much for immaculate conception theory.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!