HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Mountain Man] #118717
09/03/09 02:56 AM
09/03/09 02:56 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, what about the "corrupt channels" we inherit? Did Jesus inherit them too? Can they commit a sin? Does possessing them make us guilty before God in judgment?

The religious services, the prayers, the praise, the penitent confession of sin ascend from true believers as incense to the heavenly sanctuary, but passing through the corrupt channels of humanity, they are so defiled that unless purified by blood, they can never be of value with God. They ascend not in spotless purity, and unless the Intercessor, who is at God's right hand, presents and purifies all by His righteousness, it is not acceptable to God. All incense from earthly tabernacles must be moist with the cleansing drops of the blood of Christ. He holds before the Father the censer of His own merits, in which there is no taint of earthly corruption. He gathers into this censer the prayers, the praise, and the confessions of His people, and with these He puts His own spotless righteousness. Then, perfumed with the merits of Christ's propitiation, the incense comes up before God wholly and entirely acceptable. Then gracious answers are returned. {1SM 344.2}

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #118721
09/03/09 07:47 AM
09/03/09 07:47 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Arnold(?):It is clear that we suffer from #2 on your list. I say Jesus did not.

You question how Jesus could have endured every trial we have to endure if He did not suffer #2 as we do.

T:No I don't. I've not asserted this. Perhaps you could quote something I wrote which gave you this impression, and I could comment on that?

A:It's right there in the post you replied to:

If Jesus did not experience #2, then how could it be said that He endured every trial we have to endure?

This is something you posted, not me. I asked you to quote something *I* posted.

Quote:
Are you saying that you believe Jesus did not have an "unwillingness"?

Wasn't I very clear about this? I denied this, and asked you to quote something I had said. Instead of this you quoted something you had said. Why?

Because I quoted something *you* said. It is post #112364 (04/28/09 11:52 AM), near the beginning of this thread. Look it up.

In regards to your question regarding Christ enduring every trial we have to, He did so by taking our sinful nature and bearing our sin in that sinful nature.

Now that we have settled that it was your question, let's look at your answer. It seems you are saying that Jesus took our sinful nature, bore our sin in that sinful nature, but He did not have the same "unwillingness" that we sinners do. Correct?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #118722
09/03/09 08:03 AM
09/03/09 08:03 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
It seems to me teresa didn't understand something you wrote, and asked you to explain your meaning, and you declined to do so, saying the problem was with her.

I said:
Originally Posted By: asygo
The image and likeness of God, which was given to man, included character. Are babies born in the image of God, even a little bit? Yes, that image has been marred and well-nigh obliterated, but is there something left of God's image in infants?

tq replied:
Originally Posted By: teresaq
i cant see how anything you have said proves that babies are capable of thoughts....

nor do i see how a baby having thoughts or not would be necessary for your argument, if there is any validity to your argument.

And you're claiming *she* was asking questions? We must have different hermeneutics. From my angle, it seems *I* was asking questions, and she was the one who started with the "invalid arguments" business.

It seems tq can't take anywhere near as much as she gives. And now comes her knight in shining armor, unsurprisingly.

Tom, take off your glasses. You've been blinded. For the past few weeks you've complained about certain aspects of certain individuals' posts, while saying nothing about the same aspects in tq's posts. Maybe you've addressed her privately. If you have, the result has merely been that as soon as she receives a rebuttal to her attacks, she hides behind the "dealing with the person as opposed to the issue" shield. And here you are, right on cue, enabling her.

You'll probably report this post as a "personal attack." I'll save you the trouble.

I wonder if tq will report you for taking the thread off-topic, in spite of Will's noble attempt. I doubt it. She's got glasses, too.

"Faithful are the wounds of a friend." You and tq need to be friends with each other.

Last edited by asygo; 09/03/09 08:06 AM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Mountain Man] #118723
09/03/09 08:14 AM
09/03/09 08:14 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Arnold or Gordon, in what way is fallen nature not defiled or corrupt?

Think of Christ's humiliation. He took upon Himself fallen, suffering human nature, degraded and defiled by sin. He took our sorrows, bearing our grief and shame. He endured all the temptations wherewith man is beset. {4BC 1147.4}

Our nature is fallen and corrupt. Christ's nature was fallen, but not corrupt.

How is it not corrupt? He was ever in the image of God - love. In fallen man, like in fallen Adam, selfishness took the place of love.

"He took upon Himself fallen, suffering human nature." He also took upon Himself our sin. Yet, we correctly say He was sinless. Took our sin, yet sinless. Why can't we say He took our sinful nature, yet was sinless in nature?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: asygo] #118730
09/03/09 03:11 PM
09/03/09 03:11 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Moderator Hat On

In a number of recent cases in this topic, criticisms have been leveled at others which have made mountains of molehills, and distract all from the topic. Should this continue to occur, this thread will get a break. Posts are being and will be dealt with which do not conform to the forum rules.

The following words apply to all of us.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
When you are tempted to speak unadvisedly, be on guard. If some one else approaches you with words of criticism regarding one of God's children, turn a deaf ear to every such word. If you are spoken to harshly, never retaliate. Utter not a word. When under provocation, remember that "silence is eloquence." Silence is the greatest rebuke that you can possibly give to a faultfinder or one whose temper is irritated. {OHC 293.4}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Moderator Hat Off

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Mountain Man] #118736
09/03/09 07:12 PM
09/03/09 07:12 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:Again, if she is using the word "corrupted" to mean "defiled" and "degraded" then she is saying that Christ took our fallen nature, "degraded and defiled" but not "degraded and defiled."

I'm not following this. Where does Mrs. White say that Christ took our nature, corrupted but not corrupted?

In English, "fallen" and "corrupted" are not the same thing. It appears you are saying they are.

No, GC, I'm not saying that. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

There's a quote, quoted recently, where EGW said that Christ took our nature, which was "degraded and defiled by sin." I was pointing out that "degraded" and "defiled" are synonyms for "corrupted." Therefore Ellen White must have had a special meaning in mind for the word "corrupted." Otherwise she'd be contradicting herself, because she said in one place that Christ's assumed human nature was "defiled" and "degraded," but in another place she said that it was not "corrupted."

Was that clearer? Hope so. Sorry for the confusion.

I also pointed out that from my reading of her writings, it appears to me that she uses "corrupted" to imply a participation in sin. (i.e., one's volition is involved)

Quote:
"Corrupt" is a strong word. Any definition of it relating to character implies sin. If Jesus had a corrupt nature, then He would have been a sinner. His nature cannot, therefore, have been corrupted.

I think this is correct, with the important caveat that it implies sin in the sense of participating in sin. If Jesus had a corrupt nature, that would mean that He had sinned, and would thus be a sinner.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #118741
09/03/09 08:26 PM
09/03/09 08:26 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:You'll probably report this post as a "personal attack." I'll save you the trouble.

This is interesting. Did you report yourself? smile

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #118743
09/03/09 08:42 PM
09/03/09 08:42 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:It seems you are saying that Jesus took our sinful nature, bore our sin in that sinful nature, but He did not have the same "unwillingness" that we sinners do. Correct?

Christ had the same sinful flesh we do, with its temptations and tendencies. He shared in our heredity, and was tempted in all points as we are. So Christ's flesh was like ours.

Insofar as Christ's decisions are concerned, He never chose to sin. However, He confronted the same temptations we do, by virtue of coming in sinful flesh and bearing our sins. In the words of Ellen White:

Quote:
For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Hebrews 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Hebrews 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject.(DA 24)

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Tom] #118745
09/03/09 09:26 PM
09/03/09 09:26 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This is interesting. Did you report yourself? smile

Yes, he did.

Re: Jesus' Humanity and Nature on Earth [Re: Rosangela] #118748
09/03/09 10:29 PM
09/03/09 10:29 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:This is interesting. Did you report yourself? smile

R:Yes, he did.

That's pretty funny!

Arnold, given you reported yourself, I have no further comment (unless you want to ask me something again).

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!