HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: kland] #118728
09/03/09 02:15 PM
09/03/09 02:15 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
So, if Saul killed himself, why did God say He killed him?

Exactly how do you understand Saul died?

Here's what the Bible says:

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Now the Philistines fought against Israel; and the men of Israel fled from before the Philistines, and fell down slain in mount Gilboa. (1 Chronicles 10:1, KJV)

And the Philistines followed hard after Saul, and after his sons; and the Philistines slew Jonathan, and Abinadab, and Malchishua, the sons of Saul. (1 Chronicles 10:2, KJV)

And the battle went sore against Saul, and the archers hit him, and he was wounded of the archers. (1 Chronicles 10:3, KJV)

Then said Saul to his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. So Saul took a sword, and fell upon it. (1 Chronicles 10:4, KJV)
So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it; (1 Chronicles 10:13, KJV)

And inquired not of the LORD: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse. (1 Chronicles 10:14, KJV)

I understand that to mean that even if Saul had not fallen upon his sword, he would have died. He just took the easy way out, for fear of being abused. The text is not clear as to how injured he was by the arrow, but it is quite probable that had it not been immediately life threatening, he would have died of infection within a few days. This, of course, is assuming he could yet escape from the Philistines.

Who killed Uriah?

And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; (2 Samuel 12:7, KJV)

And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things. (2 Samuel 12:8, KJV)

Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the LORD, to do evil in his sight? thou hast killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and hast taken his wife to be thy wife, and hast slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon. (2 Samuel 12:9, KJV)

So the answer here, technically, is both. David orchestrated Uriah's death. The Ammonites did the actual deed. Had they not finished Uriah, David would have found another way to accomplish his purpose.

The same is true of Saul's case. God arranged for his death. Saul did the actual deed.

The difference here, and this is a huge difference, is one of intent. I do not use these examples to speak of motives. I use them to speak of definitions on responsibility. God held David responsible for Uriah's death, even though David himself had not used a sword on Uriah.

A king may tell an executioner to slay the prisoner. Do we hold the executioner responsible for the death, or the king? The king, of course.

The same is true with Saul. The King had ordered the king's death. "And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel." (1 Samuel 15:26, KJV)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Green Cochoa] #118738
09/03/09 07:41 PM
09/03/09 07:41 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: kland
So, if Saul killed himself, why did God say He killed him?

Exactly how do you understand Saul died?

Here's what the Bible says:

Now the Philistines fought against Israel; and the men of Israel fled from before the Philistines, and fell down slain in mount Gilboa. (1 Chronicles 10:1, KJV)

And the Philistines followed hard after Saul, and after his sons; and the Philistines slew Jonathan, and Abinadab, and Malchishua, the sons of Saul. (1 Chronicles 10:2, KJV)

And the battle went sore against Saul, and the archers hit him, and he was wounded of the archers. (1 Chronicles 10:3, KJV)

Then said Saul to his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. So Saul took a sword, and fell upon it. (1 Chronicles 10:4, KJV)
So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it; (1 Chronicles 10:13, KJV)

And inquired not of the LORD: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse. (1 Chronicles 10:14, KJV)
The same is true with Saul. The King had ordered the king's death. "And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel." (1 Samuel 15:26, KJV)
Quote:
The message itself is sufficient evidence of its origin. Its object was not to lead Saul to repentance, but to urge him on to ruin; and this is not the work of God, but of Satan.

Furthermore, the act of Saul in consulting a sorceress is cited in Scripture as one reason why he was rejected by God and abandoned to destruction:
"Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the Lord, even against the word of the Lord, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to inquire of it; and inquired not of the Lord: therefore He slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse." 1 Chronicles 10:13, 14. Here it is distinctly stated that Saul inquired of the familiar spirit, not of the Lord. He did not communicate with Samuel, the prophet of God; but through the sorceress he held intercourse with Satan. Satan could not present the real Samuel, but he did present a counterfeit, that served his purpose of deception. {PP 683.2}
ellen white seems to understand the text in question to mean that the Lord no longer protected saul.

"and abandoned to destruction":
(bold color for ready visibility, only)

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: teresaq] #118759
09/04/09 07:51 AM
09/04/09 07:51 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Teresa,

Of course God no longer protected Saul. There would be no point in protecting someone you were killing, would there?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Green Cochoa] #118761
09/04/09 11:14 AM
09/04/09 11:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The same is true of Saul's case. God arranged for his death. Saul did the actual deed.

The difference here, and this is a huge difference, is one of intent. I do not use these examples to speak of motives. I use them to speak of definitions on responsibility. God held David responsible for Uriah's death, even though David himself had not used a sword on Uriah.

A king may tell an executioner to slay the prisoner. Do we hold the executioner responsible for the death, or the king? The king, of course.

I'm repeating what I heard you say.

You believe that God was responsible for Saul's death, in the same way David was responsible for Uriah's death. Basically God murdered Saul. We don't use the word "murder" in the case of God, because He's God, but the mechanism is identical, and if it were anyone else, we would call it murder.

Maybe not. I think perhaps this is why you were speaking of the big difference of intent. So because God's intent was different, it wasn't murder, but a justifiable killing. Perhaps this would be a more accurate way of representing your thought.

Ok, so the mechanism is the same between David and God, in that both orchestrated the killing of another. They were both responsible for the death of the victim, even though who committed the actual deed was someone else.

This mechanism is very different from what I perceive. What I perceive is that God says to the wicked, "I have no pleasure in your death. Why will you die?" I perceive that it is sin that causes our problems, and God does all that He can to rescue us from the terrible consequences of our choices.

This principle is outlined in "The Great Controversy" chapter one. That's the best place I know of which discusses it. If it weren't for this chapter, we'd probably view the destruction of Jerusalem very differently (and, in spite of it, some still view God as using the Romans as His instrument to bring suffering upon the Jews and kill them in retribution).

Here is an excerpt from the chapter:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control.

We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.

The Saviour's prophecy concerning the visitation of judgments upon Jerusalem is to have another fulfillment, of which that terrible desolation was but a faint shadow. In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law.(GC 35-37)

1.The Jews had forged their own fetters.
2.They had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance.
3.In all the woes that followed them, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown.
4.They destroyed themselves.
5.Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God; this is how the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.
6.By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them.
7.Satan was permitted to exercise control over them.
8.The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control.
9.We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy.
10.It is the restraining power of God that protects mankind.
11.when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, His restraint against the power of Satan is removed.
12.God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression.
13.God leaves those who reject His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.
14.Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest.
15.The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner.
16.The Spirit of God, withdrawn, leaves the sinner without protection from the evil one.

Ok, these are the background principles. No here comes a really interesting thing:

Quote:
The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy.

The destruction of Jerusalem is a warning TO ALL. It's not simply an isolated event, the principles of which have little interest to us, except an understanding a specific event in the remote past that doesn't concern us. The principles involved apply *to all* who would trifle with the pleadings of mercy.

Quote:
Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.

Some complain that the mechanism suggested, that is, that God has used and will continue to use the same methods outlined in GC 35-37, are not sufficiently "tough." The don't express the divine outrage sufficiently, or for some other reason are not a sufficient way to deal with sin. But the SOP brings out that "Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin" than what happened to Jerusalem, nor a more decisive testimony to "the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty."

This means that if we want to really understand how God hates sin, and how He deals with those who practice it, which is to say how He punishes them, the most decisive testimony -- the best example of this -- is the destruction of Jerusalem.

Quote:
The Saviour's prophecy concerning the visitation of judgments upon Jerusalem is to have another fulfillment, of which that terrible desolation was but a faint shadow. In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law.

This is dealing with the plagues, which ties into the theme of this thread. Those who trample upon God's law in the time of the end, and reject His mercy, will suffer according to the principles outlined in the destruction of Jerusalem.

There's a great deal of light here! We can learn a lot by simply going through this passage point by point, to get at all the principles involved. In so doing, we can understand God's hatred of sin, and how He punishes those who practice it. Not just in Jerusalem, or the plagues at the end of time, but in any situation. Although the specific details vary from case to case, the general principles, outlined above, remain the same.

One last point.

Quote:
It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.

I think this principle is vastly underestimated, or vastly unnoticed. That is, Satan has been *far* more successful at this than we have even an inkling of. God's character has been so successfully maligned, that we don't have the slightest idea that the character of Satan is represented in His place. This is an indictment on all of us (I'm not targeting, for example, those who don't believe a certain view I hold; I'm as guilty of this as anyone).

As long as we don't really understand who God is, Christ will not be able to come. Why not?

Quote:
"When the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come." Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. (COL 69)

Be beholding we become changed. As long as we are beholding an image which is off, how can we perfectly reproduce Christ's character? This seems impossible to me.

One of the elements of the 1888 message was eye salve. Eye salve allows us to see our condition as it truly is. Not rich and increased with goods, but naked, destitute, and miserable, desperately in need of eyesight. The SOP tells us that the 1888 message laid the glory of man in the dust. I think that's a major reason it was resisted and rejected. Seeing the truth about God inevitably results in our seeing the truth about ourselves, which we have a natural aversion to. Our natural reaction to any error pointed out, no matter how carefully, is to accuse others and justify our own actions.

Quote:
"Behold," says the Scripture, "the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people; but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and His glory shall be seen upon thee." Isa. 60:2.

It is the darkness of misapprehension of God that is enshrouding the world. Men are losing their knowledge of His character. It has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known. Into the darkness of the world is to be shed the light of His glory, the light of His goodness, mercy, and truth.

This is the work outlined by the prophet Isaiah in the words, "O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God! (COL 415)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #118762
09/04/09 12:10 PM
09/04/09 12:10 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Maybe not. I think perhaps this is why you were speaking of the big difference of intent. So because God's intent was different, it wasn't murder, but a justifiable killing. Perhaps this would be a more accurate way of representing your thought.

Yes, there is clearly a difference in intent here. David's intent was selfish. God's intent was unselfish, unless you wish to construe it that God wanting a pure Israelite nation with a righteous leader is selfish.

The Hebrew words used with David versus with God bearing the responsibility are also different. In David's case, the word can be synonymous with destroy, smite, wound, defeat, stripes, punish, murderer, etc. In God's case, the word means "put to death" and is never related to murder in any of its translations. It is translated as die [232], died [153], dead [134], surely put to death [56], put to death [44], slew [40], surely die [40]...etc.

God is not a murderer. But He does fill the role of executioner when necessary.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Green Cochoa] #118768
09/04/09 04:04 PM
09/04/09 04:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
God is not a murderer. But He does fill the role of executioner when necessary.

I believe the following explains how God fills this role:

Quote:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.(GC 35 or 36)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #118770
09/04/09 05:03 PM
09/04/09 05:03 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

That does explain how God fills His role. But it explains it for a specific context (in this case, time frame). Have you looked carefully at the full context of that statement? Was Mrs. White addressing the final plagues, or the damnation of hell?

Here are statements that lead me to believe that there are additional contexts which one must necessarily include when studying this topic.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Eli was gentle, loving, and kind, and had a true interest in the service of God and the prosperity of His cause. He was a man who had power in prayer. He never rose up in rebellion against the words of God. But he was wanting; he did not have firmness of character to reprove sin and execute justice against the sinner so that God could depend upon him to keep Israel pure. He did not add to his faith the courage and power to say No at the right time and in the right place. {CC 141.4} [Conflict and Courage (1970)]

Would God require of His servants something that He Himself did not exemplify? If Eli was supposed to have executed justice against sinners, will God also refrain from this? As I understand, despite Eli's piety, for this one sin in being too permissive and gentle toward others, he will not be in Heaven. Does that not seem a little harsh? The Bible and Mrs. White both say Eli was a good man. Why should he be lost?

The forbearance that God has exercised toward the wicked, emboldens men in transgression; but their punishment will be none the less certain and terrible for being long delayed. . . . While He does not delight in vengeance, He will execute judgment upon the transgressors of His law. He is forced to do this, to preserve the inhabitants of the earth from utter depravity and ruin. In order to save some He must cut off those who become hardened in sin. . . . And the very fact of His reluctance to execute justice testifies to the enormity of the sins that call forth His judgments and to the severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor. {CC 155.4} [Conflict and Courage (1970)]

God is forced to execute justice?

The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. . . . God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. . . . {FLB 176.6} [The Faith I Live By (1958)]

Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2} [God's Amazing Grace (1973)]

For those who do not accept Christ's sacrifice and pardon, the death penalty must be met at the cost of their own lives. That penalty has not yet been meted out. But it will come soon enough.

Personally, I see little difference between "executing the death penalty" and the role of executioner. I will admit that Mrs. White does not use the term executioner in these statements. But I see no difference in the meaning. She uses the exact word "executioner" mostly in speaking of the martyrs, and it is quite possible that she chooses to avoid the term here because of the negative impression which it gives. It implies to many minds a dark side. But leaving motives out of the picture again, the act and responsibility for it are the same.

God's motives are pure. He executes justice and judgment in righteousness. While filling the role of executioner of the death penalty, He does not in the slightest take any enjoyment from it. He does it, as Mrs. White says, because He is forced to.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Green Cochoa] #118771
09/04/09 05:26 PM
09/04/09 05:26 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

To represent God as being too loving to punish sinners with His own hands is to undermine His authority. I do not think you even half realize the thoughts God may have toward your representation of Him. There are many who hold similar views to yourself. But Ellen White gives the following message which I think you and several others whom you have influenced here in this forum might do well to ponder.

The time is not far distant when God will arise to vindicate His insulted authority. "The Lord cometh out of His place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity." Isaiah 26:21. "But who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appeareth?" Malachi 3:2. The people of Israel, because of their sinfulness, were forbidden to approach the mount when God was about to descend upon it to proclaim His law, lest they should be consumed by the burning glory of His presence. If such manifestations of His power marked the place chosen for the proclamation of God's law, how terrible must be His tribunal when He comes for the execution of these sacred statutes. How will those who have trampled upon His authority endure His glory in the great day of final retribution? The terrors of Sinai were to represent to the people the scenes of the judgment. The sound of a trumpet summoned Israel to meet with God. The voice of the Archangel and the trump of God shall summon, from the whole earth, both the living and the dead to the presence of their Judge. The Father and the Son, attended by a multitude of angels, were present upon the mount. At the great judgment day Christ will come "in the glory of His Father with His angels." Matthew 16:27. He shall then sit upon the throne of His glory, and before Him shall be gathered all nations. {PP 339.1}
[Patriarchs and Prophets (1890)]

The wrath of God is closely tied to the Law of God. The law is a law of love. Therefore, one might even say that God's wrath is a "loving wrath." It is not mean-spirited as our sinful wrath is. God's wrath is righteous. But it will bring forth the most solemn judgments--there will be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Green Cochoa] #118778
09/04/09 06:58 PM
09/04/09 06:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
To represent God as being too loving to punish sinners with His own hands is to undermine His authority.

1.I've never said God was "too loving" to do something.
2.I've never said God does not punish sinners.

Where you and I differ is not to the *fact* of whether or not God punishes sinners, but as to the *mechanism*.

The following had a profound impact on my understanding of this:

Quote:
How graciously and tenderly our heavenly Father deals with His children! He preserves them from a thousand dangers to them unseen and guards them from the subtle arts of Satan, lest they should be destroyed. Because the protecting care of God through His angels is not seen by our dull vision, we do not try to contemplate and appreciate the ever-watchful interest that our kind and benevolent Creator has in the work of His hands; and we are not grateful for the multitude of mercies that He daily bestows upon us. (3T 373)

I think we way underestimate the dangers God protects us from, so we mistakenly think it's necessary for Him to "smite" someone from His own hand, when all He needs to do is withdraw His protection from one of these unseen dangers.

Quote:
I do not think you even half realize the thoughts God may have toward your representation of Him.

Would the same not apply to you?

I agree with your comment, in spite of believing my view is closer to reality than yours. I repent continuously in regards to my shortcomings to represent God's character as it truly is. I know He's far, far better than I've presented Him.

Quote:
There are many who hold similar views to yourself.

Where? I'd like to meet them! smile

Quote:
But Ellen White gives the following message which I think you and several others whom you have influenced here in this forum might do well to ponder.

I'll comment on a portion of this:

Quote:
How will those who have trampled upon His authority endure His glory in the great day of final retribution?

In post #118761 I quoted the following:

Quote:
The Saviour's prophecy concerning the visitation of judgments upon Jerusalem is to have another fulfillment, of which that terrible desolation was but a faint shadow. In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law. (GC 37)

This points out that what Jerusalem experienced is what those who trample upon God's law will experience. The principles I laid out in this post will apply, as Ellen White points out.

Quote:
The wrath of God is closely tied to the Law of God.

Indeed it is. The law is a hedge to protect us from the dangers of breaking it.

Quote:
The happiness of human beings is in their obedience to the laws of God. In their obedience to God's law they are surrounded as with a hedge and kept from the evil. No one can be happy and depart from God's specified requirements, and set up a standard of their own, which they decide they can safely follow.--Manuscript 1, 1892

Those who trample the law will experience the results of so doing, according to the principles laid out in GC 35-37.

Quote:
The law is a law of love. Therefore, one might even say that God's wrath is a "loving wrath." It is not mean-spirited as our sinful wrath is.

Nor is it based on the principles of force, as ours is. The principle of force is not to be found in God's government.

Quote:
Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used.(DA 759)

The foundation of God's government is goodness, mercy and love. The judgments of God involve these principles, as does everything God does, as opposed to the principles of force or violence.

Quote:
But it will bring forth the most solemn judgments--there will be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

Agreed. And these judgments will come in perfect harmony with the revelation of God given by Jesus Christ, in harmony with the principles laid out in GC 35-37.

Quote:
God's wrath is righteous. But it will bring forth the most solemn judgments--there will be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

As commented in GC 35-37.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #118782
09/04/09 07:44 PM
09/04/09 07:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom,

That does explain how God fills His role. But it explains it for a specific context (in this case, time frame). Have you looked carefully at the full context of that statement? Was Mrs. White addressing the final plagues, or the damnation of hell?

She was discussing the destruction of Jerusalem. That's the context. And she said:

Quote:
The Saviour's prophecy concerning the visitation of judgments upon Jerusalem is to have another fulfillment, of which that terrible desolation was but a faint shadow. In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law.

Aren't the plagues what those who trample upon God's law receive?

Quote:
GC:Here are statements that lead me to believe that there are additional contexts which one must necessarily include when studying this topic.

EGW:Eli was gentle, loving, and kind, and had a true interest in the service of God and the prosperity of His cause. He was a man who had power in prayer. He never rose up in rebellion against the words of God. But he was wanting; he did not have firmness of character to reprove sin and execute justice against the sinner so that God could depend upon him to keep Israel pure. He did not add to his faith the courage and power to say No at the right time and in the right place. {CC 141.4} [Conflict and Courage (1970)]

GC:Would God require of His servants something that He Himself did not exemplify? If Eli was supposed to have executed justice against sinners, will God also refrain from this?

Again, from the GC passage (i.e. "Great Controversy") I've cited from:

Quote:
The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.

Do you agree with each of the following points?

The destruction of Jerusalem

1.demonstrates God's punishing sin.
2.was a judgment.
3.is prophetic of the judgments and punishments of others who trample His law.

Quote:
As I understand, despite Eli's piety, for this one sin in being too permissive and gentle toward others, he will not be in Heaven. Does that not seem a little harsh? The Bible and Mrs. White both say Eli was a good man. Why should he be lost?

She says the following of Samuel.

Quote:
-Samuel had judged Israel from his youth. He had been a righteous and impartial judge, faithful in all his work. He was becoming old; and the people saw that his sons did not follow his footsteps. (S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 2 (1953), page 1012)

Do you think Samuel won't be in heaven either?

Regarding Eli, my understanding was the Eli was a righteous man. If he was a righteous man, he'll be in heaven. Regarding your statement that

Quote:
As I understand, despite Eli's piety, for this one sin in being too permissive and gentle toward others, he will not be in Heaven.

I spend a bit of time researching this, and couldn't discover anything suggesting this. I'll admit that I haven't specifically researched the question of Eli's being righteous or not, but my impression has been that Eli was a righteous man. I came across the following:

Quote:
Samuel told Eli the words of the Lord; "and he said, It is the Lord; let him do what seemeth him good." Eli knew that God had been dishonored, and he felt that he had sinned. He submitted that God was just in thus punishing his sinful neglect.(1SP 402)

This seems like the response of a righteous man. Again, this isn't a point I've researched. If you can present an argument that Eli won't be in heaven, I'd be happy to listen to it.

Quote:
God is forced to execute justice?

I don't know what you're asking.

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. . . . God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited.

This is actually from GC 541-543, page 541 I think, and I've quoted this many times. Of special interest is that God executes justice upon the wicked for their own good. That's very profound, and interesting.

Also of note is that the principles of kindness, mercy and love are present in judgment (this isn't clear from FILB, with the ellipses, but it's clear from the GC passage this comes from). This is a principle reason I reject many of the ideas I hear regarding God and the judgment. I believe God's actions will be in complete harmony with what Jesus Christ revealed of God in His humanity.

Quote:
For those who do not accept Christ's sacrifice and pardon, the death penalty must be met at the cost of their own lives.

Those who choose to separate from God, the source of life, cut themselves off from life (DA 764).

Quote:
Personally, I see little difference between "executing the death penalty" and the role of executioner.

Nor do I. The death penalty will be executed as explained in DA 764.

Quote:
I will admit that Mrs. White does not use the term executioner in these statements. But I see no difference in the meaning.

The difference in meaning, IMO, is between what she said in DA 764, and what many people think will happen. She speaks of how had Satan been *left* to reap the full results of his sin, he would have perished. She says that Satan and those who join him in rebellion place themselves so out of harmony with God that His presence it to them a consuming fire. She says the light of glory of God, which is the revelation of His character, gives life to the righteous, but will slay the wicked.

It's not that God is different towards one group of people, killing some and blessing others. It's that the wicked themselves have destroyed themselves, wrecking their character, so that they cannot stand to be around God, or those who love His principles (The GC passage above, 541-543, brings this out).

Quote:
She uses the exact word "executioner" mostly in speaking of the martyrs, and it is quite possible that she chooses to avoid the term here because of the negative impression which it gives. It implies to many minds a dark side. But leaving motives out of the picture again, the act and responsibility for it are the same.

DA 764 explains God's actions in the destruction of the wicked very clearly. He allows them to "receive the result of their choice."

Quote:
God's motives are pure.

And His methods too! He's just like Jesus Christ.

Quote:
He executes justice and judgment in righteousness.

Yes, and He does so without using force or violence.

Quote:
While filling the role of executioner of the death penalty, He does not in the slightest take any enjoyment from it. He does it, as Mrs. White says, because He is forced to.

Yes. He says, "I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked." He asks the wicked, "Why will you die." As DA 764 brings out, the inevitable result of sin is death. God would much rather the wicked chose to live than to die.

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!