HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 105 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119603
09/22/09 12:42 AM
09/22/09 12:42 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Tom,

Let's consider a few facts here:

1) The wicked lost, during the 1000-years "millennium," are all dead.
2) Their probation has already closed, by God's own judgment, before this time period.
3) Ellen White tells us we saints, with Jesus, will judge them--and that this is to be our job during the 1000 years.
4) Mrs. White says this judgment that the saints and Jesus will perform is for the purpose of meting "out to the wicked according to the deeds done in the body, and that which they must receive at the execution of the judgment is set off against their names."
5) The words in that quote are angel's words. Mrs. White did not herself say this, but quoted an angel.

Do you have some other way of interpreting?

Other than this means that the righteous will determine how long a person should be set on fire? You really think this is the only possible way to interpret this?

Quote:
Based on the facts here, it would appear to me that there is simply no other way to interpret.

Before I comment, I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying correctly. I'm understanding you to say that the only possible way that you see to interpret what Ellen White wrote is that the righteous will determine for how long a period the wicked should be set on fire?

Quote:
God is fair.

This implies you perceiving setting people on fire to be a fair thing to do.

Quote:
He executes the judgment against the wicked with a jury of their peers. This increases the fairness of the judgment.

This implies you believe that a jury of their peers also view setting them on fire a fair thing to do.

Quote:
I do not, however, believe that the saints will be in Heaven saying things like "Aha! This is my chance for revenge against that old enemy of mine!" No, indeed. The saints will be very humble about this, realizing how near they were themselves to such treatment, and also still being hurt that their loved ones are not there. The saints will certainly be merciful, for they have adopted Christ-like characters, and God is merciful.

Ok, the saints will be humble in determining how long their family members, (spouse, children, parents) should be set on fire. I don't see how your comment in regards to mercy applies here. Isn't your idea that the righteous will determine, by looking at the evidence, exactly how long those being examined should be set on fire for? Mercy implies they recommend being set on fire for less time than the evidence indicates. But this isn't what you think, is it? Don't you think they should be set on fire for exactly the amount of time the evidence indicates? So what you're really advocating is (what you perceive to be) justice without mercy, isn't it?

I note you didn't answer my questions. I'll repeat them and answer them in accordance to my understanding what you think the correct answers are:

Q.You interpret this to mean that you will be sitting on judgment on people, presumably people you know, so loved ones and friends, and deciding for how long a period they should be set on fire?

A.Yes.

Q.So if you have, God forbid, some relative who is not among the blessed, your job will be to say, "I think my (fill in the blank; some family member or friend) should burn for X days"?

A.Yes.

Q.And you're OK with this?

A.Yes.

Q.And this is what you think God is like, that He would ask you to do something like this?

A.Yes.

Is this correct? You would answer each of these questions "yes"?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119604
09/22/09 01:09 AM
09/22/09 01:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Now, regarding "torture," Tom, I don't see how the physical torture would make God seem cruel but the mental torture wouldn't - and you admit that there will be mental torture.

If God tortured the wicked mentally or physically, I would see this as cruel. I don't believe God does this. I believe all their suffering comes as a result of their own choice, and believe that DA 764 says precisely this.

Quote:
R:I don't think that God will impose one and the other will be self-imposed. What applies to one must apply to the other.

The wicked suffer and die as a result of their own choice, not as a result of something God imposes upon them, either mentally or physically. This is DA 764.

Quote:
R:And Mike's point is perfectly valid - how can the sins of some kill them "in a moment" while the sins of others will do so only after "many days"? If the idea of the wicked being kept supernaturally alive applies to the physical suffering, it also applies to the mental suffering.

The purpose of the judgment, or a purpose of the judgment, is to go through one's life point by point, and bring to light everything that happened in a person's life. Every wrong decision causes suffering. The more light there was, the more suffering there is. So a person who has committed more sin, and had more light, suffers more than a person who committed fewer sins and had less light.

My impression from previous comments that you have made on this subject is that you do not believe that God will set the wicked on fire (like a torch), supernaturally keeping them alive so that they can suffer excruciating pain. Is this correct?

You commented on how funny you thought what I wrote was (I guess because you saw it as absurd(?)), which leads me to comment on how funny I view this whole discussion to be. I cannot fathom how a Christian, a person who supposedly believes in Christ, could even for a moment entertain the idea that God would set someone on fire in order to make him/her suffer physical excruciating pain! How is this even possible to consider?

Now this is why, in regards to the conversation on the acts of violence attributed to God in the OT, that I have said to MM that I have felt time would be better spent discussing the judgment and the atonement. Surely a person who views as a viable possibility that God will set people on fire for many hours or many days, supernaturally keeping them alive so they can suffer more pain, couldn't see anything objectionable to the traditional views of the violent acts attributed to God in the OT.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119609
09/22/09 02:16 AM
09/22/09 02:16 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
1) The wicked lost, during the 1000-years "millennium," are all dead.
2) Their probation has already closed, by God's own judgment, before this time period.
3) Ellen White tells us we saints, with Jesus, will judge them--and that this is to be our job during the 1000 years.
4) Mrs. White says this judgment that the saints and Jesus will perform is for the purpose of meting "out to the wicked according to the deeds done in the body, and that which they must receive at the execution of the judgment is set off against their names."
5) The words in that quote are angel's words. Mrs. White did not herself say this, but quoted an angel.

Do you have some other way of interpreting? Based on the facts here, it would appear to me that there is simply no other way to interpret.

Tom,

Do you agree that the above mentioned numbered points are factual?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119610
09/22/09 02:32 AM
09/22/09 02:32 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: GC
Neither she, nor the Bible, elaborates on what the actual form or causation of the suffering is to be.

I agree. Literal fire will be present, but whether or not it will play a part in why they suffer has not been made clear in the Bible or the SOP. What is clear, though, is that agonizing guilt will not cause them to suffer according their sinfulness and then end in death.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119611
09/22/09 02:45 AM
09/22/09 02:45 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Since one tiny sin is enough to cause people to die instantly of emotional anguish, why do you think resurrected sinners are able to endure millions of major sins in their dilapidated state without dying instantly after encountering the first sin?

Obviously their ability to suffer so will be unnatural. Not even Jesus was able to suffer so without supernatural aid. And He managed to suffer for every sin ever committed in just 6 hours. Why do you think it will take some sinners several days to suffer for their sins?

T: I don't agree with your assumptions here.

Do you agree one tiny sin would have been enough to cause A&E to die of emotional agony?

Do you agree Jesus required supernatural help to suffer and die on the cross?

Do you agree Jesus suffered for every sin ever committed in 6 hours on the cross?

If you agree with all three points, what do you disagree with? Please elaborate.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #119613
09/22/09 02:53 AM
09/22/09 02:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom,

Do you agree that the above mentioned numbered points are factual?

Please respond to my post.

My disagreement is with your interpretation of the numbered points, not the points themselves. In particular, I see nothing in the five points which would imply that the righteous will be deciding how long people should be set on fire, let alone this being the only possible interpretation.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #119614
09/22/09 03:05 AM
09/22/09 03:05 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
R: And Mike's point is perfectly valid - how can the sins of some kill them "in a moment" while the sins of others will do so only after "many days"? If the idea of the wicked being kept supernaturally alive applies to the physical suffering, it also applies to the mental suffering.

T: Surely a person who views as a viable possibility that God will set people on fire for many hours or many days, supernaturally keeping them alive so they can suffer more pain, couldn't see anything objectionable to the traditional views of the violent acts attributed to God in the OT.

You didn't address her point, namely, the idea God must keep the wicked supernaturally alive so that they can suffer unimaginable emotional pain is hardly less objectionable. Otherwise, you are forced to say one sin is not enough to cause emotional agony ending in death.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #119615
09/22/09 03:16 AM
09/22/09 03:16 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, do you believe God will set the wicked "on fire"?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119616
09/22/09 03:19 AM
09/22/09 03:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GCNeither she, nor the Bible, elaborates on what the actual form or causation of the suffering is to be.

M:I agree. Literal fire will be present, but whether or not it will play a part in why they suffer has not been made clear in the Bible or the SOP. What is clear, though, is that agonizing guilt will not cause them to suffer according their sinfulness and then end in death.

This is from "The Desire of Ages"

Quote:
The Saviour could not see through the portals of the tomb. Hope did not present to Him His coming forth from the grave a conqueror, or tell Him of the Father's acceptance of the sacrifice. He feared that sin was so offensive to God that Their separation was to be eternal. Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race. It was the sense of sin, bringing the Father's wrath upon Him as man's substitute, that made the cup He drank so bitter, and broke the heart of the Son of God. (DA 753)

This brings out that Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy no longer pleads for the guilty race, and how the sense of sin broke His heart. I don't see how, given this, you could conclude that it's clear that the mental anguish which caused Christ's death, which is the anguish which the wicked will feel, won't cause their death.

Quote:
He suffered the death which was ours, that we might receive the life which was His.(DA 25)

The death was was ours is the death which Christ suffered, which is that spoken of above in the DA 753 quote. Christ suffered this death so we wouldn't have to. So, again, I don't see how you can say it's clear it isn't the case that the wicked will die the death Christ suffered when this says that Christ suffered that death.

Quote:
M: Since one tiny sin is enough to cause people to die instantly of emotional anguish, why do you think resurrected sinners are able to endure millions of major sins in their dilapidated state without dying instantly after encountering the first sin?

Obviously their ability to suffer so will be unnatural. Not even Jesus was able to suffer so without supernatural aid. And He managed to suffer for every sin ever committed in just 6 hours. Why do you think it will take some sinners several days to suffer for their sins?

T: I don't agree with your assumptions here.

M:Do you agree one tiny sin would have been enough to cause A&E to die of emotional agony?

No, with respect to "tiny sin."

Quote:
God does not regard all sins as of equal magnitude; there are degrees of guilt in His estimation, as well as in that of man; but however trifling this or that wrong act may seem in the eyes of men, no sin is small in the sight of God.(SC 30)

Quote:
M:Do you agree Jesus required supernatural help to suffer and die on the cross?

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I believe Christ would have died in Gethsemane had not God sent an angel to strengthen Him. Are you saying something like this?

Quote:
M:Do you agree Jesus suffered for every sin ever committed in 6 hours on the cross?

Not in the sense that you do.

Quote:
If you agree with all three points, what do you disagree with? Please elaborate.

I explained the first, and asked for clarification on the second one. Regarding the third one, I think you view Christ's suffering for every sin in the sense of each sin is equivalent to a certain amount of pain that must be inflicted, so that pain was inflicted to Christ, so it wouldn't have to be inflicted to us. I don't see that God inflicts anyone with pain to make them suffer for their sins, but that sin itself causes pain. Christ suffered for every sin because He took upon Him the sin of the world. So I do agree that Christ suffered for every sin, but not in an imposed sense of inflicted pain.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119618
09/22/09 03:23 AM
09/22/09 03:23 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:You didn't address her point, namely, the idea God must keep the wicked supernaturally alive so that they can suffer unimaginable emotional pain is hardly less objectionable.

Yes I did. I said I don't believe this is what happens.

Quote:
M:Otherwise, you are forced to say one sin is not enough to cause emotional agony ending in death.

You're argument is that if it's not true that God must keep the wicked supernaturally alive so that they can suffer unimaginable emotional pain then it must follow that one sin is not enough to cause emotional agony ending in death? This doesn't look like a valid argument.

In order for an argument to be valid, the premise must be true. If the premise is false, the argument isn't valid. Your premise is "God must keep the wicked supernaturally alive so that they can suffer unimaginable emotional pain." I disagree with this premise, especially with the idea that God's purpose is that the wicked suffer unimaginable emotional pain. You also seem to be implying that God causes this pain, and if so, I disagree with that too.

Page 10 of 105 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!