HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Mountain Man] #119549
09/20/09 06:44 PM
09/20/09 06:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:Tom, if our desire is to understand the wrath of God, His retributive justice, then, no, studying what Jesus did while here in the flesh will not be helpful.

If it were true that all that man could know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ while here with us in the flesh, then studying what Jesus did while here in the flesh would be helpful, don't you agree?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #119579
09/21/09 03:43 PM
09/21/09 03:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
It is not true to say Jesus revealed everything we can know about God through His actions while here in the flesh. That wasn't His purpose. It's not even true to say Jesus taught everything we can know about God while here in the flesh. "'I have many things to say unto you, but ye can not bear them now.' Their own limited comprehension put a restraint upon him, so that he could not open to them the things he longed to unfold; for it would be labor lost." {Bulletin, March 3, 1899 par. 1}

Christ said to his disciples, "I have many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now." There were many things he did not say to them because their education and ideas were of such a character that his instruction would have confused their minds, and raised questioning and unbelief that it would have been difficult to remove. {Canvasser, December 11, 1890 par. 3}

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Mountain Man] #119588
09/21/09 06:25 PM
09/21/09 06:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:It is not true to say Jesus revealed everything we can know about God through His actions while here in the flesh. That wasn't His purpose.

Not only was it His purpose, it was His "whole purpose."

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #119617
09/22/09 03:22 AM
09/22/09 03:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you agree Jesus was unable to teach His disciples everything He wanted to? And, do you agree that in spite of this He was able to reveal everything they needed to know to be set right in regards to God's character?

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Mountain Man] #119620
09/22/09 04:07 AM
09/22/09 04:07 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:Tom, do you agree Jesus was unable to teach His disciples everything He wanted to? And, do you agree that in spite of this He was able to reveal everything they needed to know to be set right in regards to God's character?

Regarding your second question, it seems to be a bit imprecise. Here's what EGW actually wrote:

Quote:
The very attributes that belonged to the character of Satan, the evil one represented as belonging to the character of God. Jesus came to teach men of the Father, to correctly represent him before the fallen children of earth. Angels could not fully portray the character of God, but Christ, who was a living impersonation of God, could not fail to accomplish the work. The only way in which he could set and keep men right was to make himself visible and familiar to their eyes....

Those who would behold this glory would be drawn to love Jesus and to love the Father whom he represented. Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. In Christ was arrayed before men the paternal grace and the matchless perfections of the Father....When the object of his mission was attained,--the revelation of God to the world,--the Son of God announced that his work was accomplished, and that the character of the Father was made manifest to men. (ST 1/20/90)

Here are some points to mention:

1.The only way in which he could set and keep men right was to make himself visible and familiar to their eyes.

2.The whole purpose of Christ's mission was to set men right through the revelation of God.

3.The object of Christ's mission was the revelation of God to the world.

If you're asking if Christ accomplished these things, I say yes.

Regarding if there were things Christ would have liked to have said to His disciples, yes there were, but you seem to have the assumption that because Christ could not say these things, since the disciples weren't ready to hear them, this means that Christ did not reveal something He could have had they been willing to listen. This reasoning is flawed for at least four reasons.

1.The thing which Christ had to say to the disciples was not necessary related to the "revelation of God" EGW speaks of.

2.Christ may have already revealed the thing He was going to tell the disciples about. The disciples may not have understood it, but it could have already been revealed.

3.The thing which Christ couldn't tell the disciples He may have revealed afterward in some other way (e.g. dying on the cross).

4.The SOP tells us that all that man can know of God was revealed by Christ in the flesh, and that His mission was the revelation of God, and that Christ accomplished this mission. So there couldn't have been something lacking in His revelation.

Now if I may ask you a question, you said:

Quote:
It is not true to say Jesus revealed everything we can know about God through His actions while here in the flesh. That wasn't His purpose.

but there are several quotes saying that this was his purpose. So I guess my question is, why are you asserting this given that Ellen White wrote that:

1.Everything man can know of God was revealed by Christ.
2.His mission was the revelation of God, in order to set men right and keep men right with God.
3.Christ accomplished His mission, which was the revelation of God.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #119631
09/22/09 03:15 PM
09/22/09 03:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
"Angels could not fully portray the character of God, but Christ, who was a living impersonation of God, could not fail to accomplish the work."

On a side note, Ellen here says Jesus "could not fail". And yet you insist that God did not know this in advance, that He was not certain Jesus would succeed.

Regarding your speculations and assumptions articulated above: No, I do not believe Jesus revealed through His actions alone everything we need to know about God. Yes, I believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God through His actions and teachings. He very plainly said that He couldn't say everything He wanted to because of prevailing erroneous ideas. Nevertheless, He went on to say, the Holy Spirit would explain it latter on. Again, two things Jesus did not reveal through His actions was employing the withdraw and permit principle or commanding people to stone sinners to death.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Mountain Man] #119633
09/22/09 03:32 PM
09/22/09 03:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:On a side note, Ellen here says Jesus "could not fail". And yet you insist that God did not know this in advance, that He was not certain Jesus would succeed.

What she wrote should be read in context. Elsewhere she emphasized that Christ could fail. You're aware of this, aren't you? So if you took it the way you're suggesting here, you'd have her contradicting herself.

Quote:
M:Regarding your speculations and assumptions articulated above: No, I do not believe Jesus revealed through His actions alone everything we need to know about God.

EGW said that all that man can know of God was revealed in Christ's life and character, speaking of when He was here with us in the flesh.

Quote:
M:Yes, I believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God through His actions and teachings.

According to EGW, what Christ taught, He lived, and it was this which gave His teachings the power they had.

Quote:
M:He very plainly said that He couldn't say everything He wanted to because of prevailing erroneous ideas.

No He didn't.

Quote:
M:Nevertheless, He went on to say, the Holy Spirit would explain it latter on.

He said the Spirit would guide them into all truth, and bring to remembrance the things He had taught them.

The SOP says that Christ's mission was the revelation of God, and that Christ accomplished this mission. Actually, Christ said this, in John 17, and she quoted Him, and explained Christ's words as His accomplishing His mission of revealing the Father.

Quote:
M:Again, two things Jesus did not reveal through His actions was employing the withdraw and permit principle or commanding people to stone sinners to death.

I think there's a better way of looking at this. Think of things in positive terms. What *did* Christ reveal? He revealed the Father. What *was* His mission, His purpose? To reveal the Father. Did He accomplish this? Yes, He did. Was there anything lacking in His revelation of the Father? No, there was not.

If one starts from this standpoint, by faith accepting that Christ did do what He said He did (and the SOP as well) -- reveal the Father -- then it should be possible to deal with any questions or doubts that might come up, related to isolated incidents that may be difficult to understand.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Mountain Man] #119646
09/22/09 08:57 PM
09/22/09 08:57 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Again, two things Jesus did not reveal through His actions was employing the withdraw and permit principle or commanding people to stone sinners to death.

Besides Saul, I came across another instance. In 2 Chronicles 18 starting around the middle, He asks the "hosts of heaven" (a side topic) who will entice Ahab so he will fail. I had come to this in a conversation regarding Genesis 6 and therefore had a good idea. I decided to check the commentary to see what it said. Amazingly, I found it to call this a parabolic vision and that it must be interpreted as such and that which God does not restrain is represented as having done. Hmmm.... Where have I heard that before. It goes on to mention the fiery serpents and agreed with Ellen White in saying that God withdrew His protection with death as the result. They even refer to GC pg. 614.

So, seems to me, this idea of withdrawing protection is not some newfangled idea to put God in better light than He deserves, but something that has been around for many years supported by the Bible, Ellen White, and the commentary. And a few here on this forum. smile

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: kland] #119647
09/22/09 09:24 PM
09/22/09 09:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: kland
So, seems to me, this idea of withdrawing protection is not some newfangled idea to put God in better light than He deserves ...

This is assuming that the idea of God's withdrawing His protection puts Him in a better light than the idea of God's directly causing the action in question. What do you think this is the case? (I'm asking because some have questioned this, saying that if God permits something to happen, there's no difference between this and if He had done it Himself).

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #119675
09/23/09 04:00 PM
09/23/09 04:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: On a side note, Ellen here says Jesus "could not fail". And yet you insist that God did not know this in advance, that He was not certain Jesus would succeed.

T: What she wrote should be read in context. Elsewhere she emphasized that Christ could fail. You're aware of this, aren't you? So if you took it the way you're suggesting here, you'd have her contradicting herself.

True, she does not contradict herself. In theory Jesus could have failed, but in reality God knew He wouldn't. The two are perfectly compatible. Of course, only God knows the beginning from the end; therefore, it doesn't apply to us. That is, it cannot be said of us that we know such and such will or will not happen in the future. We can say, "In theory it could happen." But we cannot also say, "But in reality we know it will not." The rules change dramatically when we factor in God's perfect knowledge of the future (i.e. He knows in advance precisely how things will play out).

Quote:
M: Regarding your speculations and assumptions articulated above: No, I do not believe Jesus revealed through His actions alone everything we need to know about God.

T: EGW said that all that man can know of God was revealed in Christ's life and character, speaking of when He was here with us in the flesh.

If you take into account everything she wrote about it, it is clear she taught Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God through His actions and through His teachings.

Quote:
M: Yes, I believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God through His actions and teachings.

T: According to EGW, what Christ taught, He lived, and it was this which gave His teachings the power they had.

Jesus taught Moses permitted divorce. You are implying Jesus lived it. He taught the wicked will wail and gnash their teeth in hell. You are implying He lived it. Obviously, Jesus did not live everything He taught.

Quote:
M: He very plainly said that He couldn't say everything He wanted to because of prevailing erroneous ideas.

T: No He didn't.

The SOP quotes I posted awhile ago say so.

Quote:
M: Nevertheless, He went on to say, the Holy Spirit would explain it latter on.

T: He said the Spirit would guide them into all truth, and bring to remembrance the things He had taught them.

The SOP says that Christ's mission was the revelation of God, and that Christ accomplished this mission. Actually, Christ said this, in John 17, and she quoted Him, and explained Christ's words as His accomplishing His mission of revealing the Father.

Jesus said the Holy Spirit would teach them the things He couldn't.

Quote:
M: Again, two things Jesus did not reveal through His actions was employing the withdraw and permit principle or commanding people to stone sinners to death.

T: I think there's a better way of looking at this. Think of things in positive terms. What *did* Christ reveal? He revealed the Father. What *was* His mission, His purpose? To reveal the Father. Did He accomplish this? Yes, He did. Was there anything lacking in His revelation of the Father? No, there was not.

If one starts from this standpoint, by faith accepting that Christ did do what He said He did (and the SOP as well) -- reveal the Father -- then it should be possible to deal with any questions or doubts that might come up, related to isolated incidents that may be difficult to understand.

Jesus taught the truth regarding the wrath of God. It's just that He didn't employ the withdraw and permit principle of destroying sinners, nor did He command people to stone sinners to death. That Jesus didn't do these things while here in the flesh doesn't prove God didn't do them in the past.

I'm not saying you believe it does. I still have no idea why you think God did such things. You dance around the idea that He ran the risk of being misunderstood by accommodating their sinful desires and expectations, but this insight in no way explains why you think God did such things. Jesus never gave sinners permission to do something to accommodate their sinful desires and expectations. Why do you think He did such things in the OT?

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!