HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Mountain Man] #119677
09/23/09 04:06 PM
09/23/09 04:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, nobody is denying God employed the withdraw and permit principle in the OT. The question is - Did He ever cause death and destruction Himself (as opposed to allowing others to cause it)? And, as Tom pointed out above, Is God less culpable if He allows others to cause death and destruction within His established and enforced limits?

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Mountain Man] #119681
09/23/09 04:33 PM
09/23/09 04:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: On a side note, Ellen here says Jesus "could not fail". And yet you insist that God did not know this in advance, that He was not certain Jesus would succeed.

T: What she wrote should be read in context. Elsewhere she emphasized that Christ could fail. You're aware of this, aren't you? So if you took it the way you're suggesting here, you'd have her contradicting herself.

M:True, she does not contradict herself. In theory Jesus could have failed, but in reality God knew He wouldn't. The two are perfectly compatible.

You think so because you hold to a compatibilist view of free will. That Ellen White did not is clear by such statements as the following:

Quote:
Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss. (DA 49)

Quote:
Remember that Christ risked all. For our redemption, heaven itself was imperiled.(COL 196)

Given your idea, compatibilist free will, the idea that heaven was imperiled is impossible. That is, given how you view things, it's impossible that heaven was ever in any peril. Yet Ellen White says it was. Therefore her view was not compatibilist, which means the things you are suggesting were compatible aren't.

Quote:
Of course, only God knows the beginning from the end; therefore, it doesn't apply to us. That is, it cannot be said of us that we know such and such will or will not happen in the future. We can say, "In theory it could happen." But we cannot also say, "But in reality we know it will not."

She we could. God could make this known. In fact, this is exactly what you are asserting.

Quote:
The rules change dramatically when we factor in God's perfect knowledge of the future (i.e. He knows in advance precisely how things will play out).

Reality doesn't change. I don't know what "rules" you are talking about.

Ellen White certainly didn't have any of this in mind in her statement in ST 1/20/90. This whole discussion is tangential to the points she made there.

(More later)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Mountain Man] #119683
09/23/09 04:53 PM
09/23/09 04:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Regarding your speculations and assumptions articulated above: No, I do not believe Jesus revealed through His actions alone everything we need to know about God.

T: EGW said that all that man can know of God was revealed in Christ's life and character, speaking of when He was here with us in the flesh.

M:If you take into account everything she wrote about it, it is clear she taught Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God through His actions and through His teachings.

I don't know what you're saying here. Is it any different than what I mentioned? That is, that, as EGW stated, all that man can know of God was revealed in Christ's life and character, speaking of when He was here with us in the flesh?

Quote:
M: Yes, I believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God through His actions and teachings.

T: According to EGW, what Christ taught, He lived, and it was this which gave His teachings the power they had.

M:Jesus taught Moses permitted divorce. You are implying Jesus lived it.

Really? How does Ellen White's statement that all that man can know of God was revealed in His life and character, and her statement that what He taught He lived, imply what you are suggesting?

Quote:
M:He taught the wicked will wail and gnash their teeth in hell. You are implying He lived it. Obviously, Jesus did not live everything He taught.

Here's her statement:

Quote:
What He taught, He lived. "I have given you an example," He said to His disciples; "that ye should do as I have done." "I have kept My Father's commandments." John 13:15; 15:10. Thus in His life, Christ's words had perfect illustration and support. And more than this; what He taught, He was. His words were the expression, not only of His own life experience, but of His own character. Not only did He teach the truth, but He was the truth. It was this that gave His teaching, power. (Ed. 79, 80)

I think you're trying to make an invalid application of this.

Quote:
M: Nevertheless, He went on to say, the Holy Spirit would explain it latter on.

T: He said the Spirit would guide them into all truth, and bring to remembrance the things He had taught them.

M:The SOP says that Christ's mission was the revelation of God, and that Christ accomplished this mission. Actually, Christ said this, in John 17, and she quoted Him, and explained Christ's words as His accomplishing His mission of revealing the Father.

Jesus said the Holy Spirit would teach them the things He couldn't.

I addressed this argument in detail previously. That the Holy Spirit would teach them things Christ couldn't or didn't does not imply that Ellen White's statement that all that man can know of God was revealed by Christ's life and teaching is incorrect. I explained why.

M: Again, two things Jesus did not reveal through His actions was employing the withdraw and permit principle or commanding people to stone sinners to death.

T: I think there's a better way of looking at this. Think of things in positive terms. What *did* Christ reveal? He revealed the Father. What *was* His mission, His purpose? To reveal the Father. Did He accomplish this? Yes, He did. Was there anything lacking in His revelation of the Father? No, there was not.

If one starts from this standpoint, by faith accepting that Christ did do what He said He did (and the SOP as well) -- reveal the Father -- then it should be possible to deal with any questions or doubts that might come up, related to isolated incidents that may be difficult to understand.

M:Jesus taught the truth regarding the wrath of God. It's just that He didn't employ the withdraw and permit principle of destroying sinners, nor did He command people to stone sinners to death.[/quote]

Nor teach this. What He taught He lived.

Quote:
M:That Jesus didn't do these things while here in the flesh doesn't prove God didn't do them in the past.

What Jesus revealed of God does.

Quote:
M:I'm not saying you believe it does. I still have no idea why you think God did such things.

Far from understanding everything God does, I can't even understand why you do what you do. For example, why you ask a question like this. I don't think "God did such things." I think the things God did are the things Jesus Christ did.

Quote:
M:You dance around the idea that He ran the risk of being misunderstood by accommodating their sinful desires and expectations, but this insight in no way explains why you think God did such things. Jesus never gave sinners permission to do something to accommodate their sinful desires and expectations. Why do you think He did such things in the OT?

I'd suggest you quote something I've said, and ask me about that. There is such a convoluted and inaccurate embedding of the ideas I've been sharing that I'll just comment that I've given you a suggestion on how to go about things. I'll repeat it.

Quote:
I think there's a better way of looking at this. Think of things in positive terms. What *did* Christ reveal? He revealed the Father. What *was* His mission, His purpose? To reveal the Father. Did He accomplish this? Yes, He did. Was there anything lacking in His revelation of the Father? No, there was not.

If one starts from this standpoint, by faith accepting that Christ did do what He said He did (and the SOP as well) -- reveal the Father -- then it should be possible to deal with any questions or doubts that might come up, related to isolated incidents that may be difficult to understand.

My suggested approach is to start with Christ, see what He revealed about God, and then, with an understanding of God's character as revealed by Christ as a base, *then* (and only then) investigate the incidents in Scripture which appear to have God acting violently.

We're just going to keep speaking past each other as long as you don't do this, because your view of God's character is so different. You see that God can do violent things (although you don't label them as such, but things which, if anyone else besides God did them you would call violent; I don't know of a short way of describing this other than "violent") without acting contrary to His character. Based on the person of Christ, these ideas are from my point of view impossible. I don't have to understand exactly what happened in every case to know this. All I have to understand is what Christ was like. God was, and is, like that. He is not violent, and does not do violent things, like purposely cause people to suffer excruciating pain by setting them on fire, or inflicting them with diseases, or shooting them, or knifing them, or any such thing. Violence is contrary to God's character. God is not violent.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #119684
09/23/09 04:57 PM
09/23/09 04:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:Kland, nobody is denying God employed the withdraw and permit principle in the OT.

I am. I've been arguing against this idea since the first time you said it. I've repeatedly pointed this out.

Quote:
The question is - Did He ever cause death and destruction Himself (as opposed to allowing others to cause it)?

Another question that comes to mind is why you keep asserting that God employed the withdraw and permit principle in the OT as if this were something which I was asserting, given that I've so often explained to you that this is not what I believe.

Why are you doing this?

Quote:
And, as Tom pointed out above, Is God less culpable if He allows others to cause death and destruction within His established and enforced limits?

I didn't "point this out." I asked a question, for the hopes of having the difference clarified for people who don't understand the difference.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #119690
09/23/09 08:07 PM
09/23/09 08:07 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Tom
Another question that comes to mind is why you keep asserting that God employed the withdraw and permit principle in the OT as if this were something which I was asserting, given that I've so often explained to you that this is not what I believe.

Maybe I need you to clarify this for me. Maybe the specifics is what I'm missing?

Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: kland
So, seems to me, this idea of withdrawing protection is not some newfangled idea to put God in better light than He deserves ...

This is assuming that the idea of God's withdrawing His protection puts Him in a better light than the idea of God's directly causing the action in question. What do you think this is the case? (I'm asking because some have questioned this, saying that if God permits something to happen, there's no difference between this and if He had done it Himself).

Well, as the references show, there is no difference as God fully is willing to accept responsibility when he allows things to happen. Yet at the same time, it is different.

For example, if you see someone standing in the street and a car is approaching from behind them and you do nothing to help them get out of the way....well that is sad. However, it is different than if they were standing on the curb and you pushed them in the path just as the car comes up. But, either way, the results are the same. And most people would blame you.

Yet, what if you were waving, yelling, pointing, and trying to pull them out of the way, and they keep swinging a baseball bat at you until the point you finally let them reap the result?

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: kland] #119695
09/23/09 10:48 PM
09/23/09 10:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Another question that comes to mind is why you keep asserting that God employed the withdraw and permit principle in the OT as if this were something which I was asserting, given that I've so often explained to you that this is not what I believe.

k:Maybe I need you to clarify this for me. Maybe the specifics is what I'm missing?

What the SOP says is the following:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. (GC 35)

This says that God was "caused" to withdraw His protection. Put this way, as the SOP put it, it is clear that the active element which resulted in destruction was the action of the Jews themselves. To say that God "employs the withdraw and permit principle" in order to destroy implies that God is the active element. This is how MM sees things, but not how I do. MM sees that God always destroys, but sometimes He does it one way, but sometimes another.

So I've objected to his putting things this way, instead of how the SOP puts it, because it obscures what's really happening. It's not that God says, "I must destroy. How will I do it? Oh, I know! I'll withdraw My protection." but God is *caused* to remove His protection.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #119714
09/24/09 12:02 PM
09/24/09 12:02 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Ah. I guess I missed the weasel word. Got to watch those things.

As in:
God's gonna get you. Sometimes it's an outright direct act. Other times it's more of a sly way. Other times he uses nature or evil people to get you (as in they have no choice for their evil actions - God made them do it) But, either way, if you don't fall in line exactly, you're goin' down. And if you do stay in line, there's seven virgins waitin' for you. wink

I guess a question similar to causing/permitting death and destruction would be to ask is there a difference between God removing His protection because of His choice or because of our choice. He could force protection on us, so if He removed it for either reason, is there a difference.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: kland] #119728
09/24/09 10:32 PM
09/24/09 10:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In the case of Job, He removed it for His choice. In the case of the destruction of Jerusalem, He did so because others caused Him to do so.

I'd say there is a difference. In the second case, there's a cause and effect relationship. In the first case, God took an action to allow His character to be revealed, rather an extraordinary one, as it could so easily be misunderstood.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #119763
09/26/09 03:26 AM
09/26/09 03:26 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, it is clear in the Bible and the SOP that God has employed the withdraw and permit principle. It also clear Jesus didn't employ it while here in the flesh. And, God is not judged by the same standard we are.

The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them. But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

NOTE: In both cases mentioned above it was God, not Satan, who caused death and destruction.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Mountain Man] #119830
09/27/09 03:17 PM
09/27/09 03:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, when you were born, did you ask God to protect you from the natural, inevitable effect of sinning (emotional agony ending in death)? Or, did He do it without your permission? Perhaps your parents gave God permission. If so, what about all the children of unbelieving parents? Does God force His protection on them?

PS - I don't recall you ever explaining what you believe will cause the wicked to suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness at the end of time. Also, what is their life source as they suffer so? That is, what keeps them alive so they do not die prematurely (before suffering for each and every sin)?

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!