HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 105 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119813
09/27/09 02:37 AM
09/27/09 02:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:This insight does not explain how the wicked will be able to physically survive revisiting their first sin (not to mention millions more) in the unveiled presence of God without dying. What makes it possible for wicked sinners to survive in the unveiled presence of God for many days without dying? Are you avoiding addressing this point?

I think a key point where we differ is that I believe the wicked choose death. It seems to me that DA 764 and GC 541-543 both teach this. I don't have the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" concept that you have. (as I recall, you saw your view similar to the one presented there; if you don't like this comparison, let me know, and I won't use it, but my recollection is that you agreed with it).

As to why some specific thing isn't mentioned in some specific chapter of some book, perhaps it's because God never intended that that place of that one book be the source of all truth for the subject.

Quote:
Tom, why do you think God will resurrect the wicked knowing they will suffer excruciating anguish in His unveiled presence?

Good question! If you'd like to start a topic on this, we can discuss it. I've pointed out this is a good question in the past, and invited such a topic, while pointing out that I don't think a few sentences would be adequate.

Quote:
Why do you think He will expose them to His unveiled presence?

I don't think this is the right way of looking at this. I suggest reading GC 541-543.

Quote:
Why doesn't He veil His presence so it doesn't cause them such excruciating anguish?

How do you know He doesn't?

Quote:
And, why doesn't His unveiled presence cause them to die right away? How are they able to live and suffer intense agony for many days?

I think you're assuming things which are false.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119817
09/27/09 03:31 AM
09/27/09 03:31 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
The concept that God would purposely cause someone excruciating pain for the sole purpose of recompense is one I find completely foreign to the character of God and the teaching of Christ. I don't believe Christ revealed the Father to be such.

Am I to suppose you do not believe that Christ talked to Moses?
Originally Posted By: The Bible
Deuteronomy
32:35 To me [belongeth] vengeance, and recompense; their foot shall slide in [due] time: for the day of their calamity [is] at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.
32:36 For the LORD shall judge his people, and repent himself for his servants, when he seeth that [their] power is gone, and [there is] none shut up, or left.
32:37 And he shall say, Where [are] their gods, [their] rock in whom they trusted,
32:38 Which did eat the fat of their sacrifices, [and] drank the wine of their drink offerings? let them rise up and help you, [and] be your protection.
32:39 See now that I, [even] I, [am] he, and [there is] no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither [is there any] that can deliver out of my hand.
32:40 For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever.
32:41 If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.
32:42 I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; [and that] with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.
32:43 Rejoice, O ye nations, [with] his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, and will be merciful unto his land, [and] to his people.

Or how about Isaiah?
Isaiah
34:2 For the indignation of the LORD [is] upon all nations, and [his] fury upon all their armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter.
34:3 Their slain also shall be cast out, and their stink shall come up out of their carcases, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood.
34:4 And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling [fig] from the fig tree.
34:5 For my sword shall be bathed in heaven: behold, it shall come down upon Idumea, and upon the people of my curse, to judgment.
34:6 The sword of the LORD is filled with blood, it is made fat with fatness, [and] with the blood of lambs and goats, with the fat of the kidneys of rams: for the LORD hath a sacrifice in Bozrah, and a great slaughter in the land of Idumea.
34:7 And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.
34:8 For [it is] the day of the LORD's vengeance, [and] the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion.
34:9 And the streams thereof shall be turned into pitch, and the dust thereof into brimstone, and the land thereof shall become burning pitch.
34:10 It shall not be quenched night nor day; the smoke thereof shall go up for ever: from generation to generation it shall lie waste; none shall pass through it for ever and ever.

Again in Isaiah...
Originally Posted By: The Bible=
Isaiah
59:17 For he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and an helmet of salvation upon his head; and he put on the garments of vengeance [for] clothing, and was clad with zeal as a cloak.
59:18 According to [their] deeds, accordingly he will repay, fury to his adversaries, recompense to his enemies; to the islands he will repay recompense.
59:19 So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.

Jeremiah?
Lamentations
3:64 Render unto them a recompense, O LORD, according to the work of their hands.
3:65 Give them sorrow of heart, thy curse unto them.
3:66 Persecute and destroy them in anger from under the heavens of the LORD.

Would you feel the above represents an "evil prayer?" Or can we consider it righteous? If evil, should it be in our Bibles? Should we consider Jeremiah a prophet?

Did Jesus talk to Ezekiel?
Ezekiel
7:1 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
7:2 Also, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD unto the land of Israel; An end, the end is come upon the four corners of the land.
7:3 Now [is] the end [come] upon thee, and I will send mine anger upon thee, and will judge thee according to thy ways, and will recompense upon thee all thine abominations.
7:4 And mine eye shall not spare thee, neither will I have pity: but I will recompense thy ways upon thee, and thine abominations shall be in the midst of thee: and ye shall know that I [am] the LORD.

Again in Ezekiel, who quotes Jesus Himself...
Ezekiel
22:20 [As] they gather silver, and brass, and iron, and lead, and tin, into the midst of the furnace, to blow the fire upon it, to melt [it]; so will I gather [you] in mine anger and in my fury, and I will leave [you there], and melt you.
22:21 Yea, I will gather you, and blow upon you in the fire of my wrath, and ye shall be melted in the midst thereof.
22:22 As silver is melted in the midst of the furnace, so shall ye be melted in the midst thereof; and ye shall know that I the LORD have poured out my fury upon you.
22:31 Therefore have I poured out mine indignation upon them; I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own way have I recompensed upon their heads, saith the Lord GOD.

Or Paul?
2 Thessalonians
1:6 Seeing [it is] a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;
1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Hebrews
10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance [belongeth] unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
10:31 [It is] a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119818
09/27/09 03:39 AM
09/27/09 03:39 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
By the way, GC, I've asked you on multiple occasions, and don't recall ever getting an answer (my apologies if you did answer this, and I'm making you repeat it), but to you see any difference between your view and the one described by Ellen White in GC 536 other than the time element? If so, what's the difference?

I have expressly answered this before.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119819
09/27/09 05:05 AM
09/27/09 05:05 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, I don't recall you're ever saying that there was any difference. I recall you're making comments about the word "torture" not being used in the true view, but don't recall your having stated any actual difference between your view and the false view (excluding the time element). Is there any difference? If so, please either tell me what it is, or post a link to where you said what it was.

Thanks!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119820
09/27/09 05:15 AM
09/27/09 05:15 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

As I said earlier, it's a question of motive. The act may be the same (or very similar), but the motive is NOT. The best way I can illustrate this is through the laws given through Moses.

Numbers
35:16 And if he smite him with an instrument of iron, so that he die, he [is] a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death.
35:17 And if he smite him with throwing a stone, wherewith he may die, and he die, he [is] a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death.
35:18 Or [if] he smite him with an hand weapon of wood, wherewith he may die, and he die, he [is] a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death.
35:19 The revenger of blood himself shall slay the murderer: when he meeteth him, he shall slay him.
35:20 But if he thrust him of hatred, or hurl at him by laying of wait, that he die;
35:21 Or in enmity smite him with his hand, that he die: he that smote [him] shall surely be put to death; [for] he [is] a murderer: the revenger of blood shall slay the murderer, when he meeteth him.
35:22 But if he thrust him suddenly without enmity, or have cast upon him any thing without laying of wait,
35:23 Or with any stone, wherewith a man may die, seeing [him] not, and cast [it] upon him, that he die, and [was] not his enemy, neither sought his harm:
35:24 Then the congregation shall judge between the slayer and the revenger of blood according to these judgments:
35:25 And the congregation shall deliver the slayer out of the hand of the revenger of blood, and the congregation shall restore him to the city of his refuge, whither he was fled: and he shall abide in it unto the death of the high priest, which was anointed with the holy oil.

Notice that it was commanded that a murderer be put to death. But the death required that the avenger be executing his purpose for the sake of the law, and not on account of a personal, spiteful, emotional response. In other words, if the avenger hated his enemy, he was a murderer.

God will never hate His enemies. He will execute the penalties for the sake of law and justice, and not because He is arbitrarily motivated against them by a spirit of hatred.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119821
09/27/09 05:17 AM
09/27/09 05:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:The concept that God would purposely cause someone excruciating pain for the sole purpose of recompense is one I find completely foreign to the character of God and the teaching of Christ. I don't believe Christ revealed the Father to be such.

GC:Am I to suppose you do not believe that Christ talked to Moses?

GC, do you not agree with the concept that Jesus Christ, in the flesh, came with the specific purpose of revealing the Father? And that this revelation full and complete?

You appear to be articulating, indirectly, the idea that Jesus Christ's revelation of the Father, while here in the flesh, was incomplete, and needs to be supplemented by other things. This correctly expresses your thought on this matter?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119822
09/27/09 05:20 AM
09/27/09 05:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thank you for answering my question again.

Regarding to the false view described by EGW and the view that you hold, you see no difference between the two with two exceptions:

1.The time element.
2.The motive which God has while He does the things described by Ellen White in the false view.

I think this second point is not a true difference, however, as I don't think any of those who hold the false view would view God's motive to be any different than yours. They would, along with you, say that God was simply recompensing the wicked for what they had done, and that He was righteous and just for so doing.

So we're back to just one difference, the time element.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119823
09/27/09 06:24 AM
09/27/09 06:24 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
GC, do you not agree with the concept that Jesus Christ, in the flesh, came with the specific purpose of revealing the Father? And that this revelation full and complete?

You appear to be articulating, indirectly, the idea that Jesus Christ's revelation of the Father, while here in the flesh, was incomplete, and needs to be supplemented by other things. This correctly expresses your thought on this matter?

Tom,

In order to misrepresent my views, you must necessarily misrepresent those of Mrs. White upon whom I have partly based my views along with help from the Bible itself, which is also undermined in your false interpretation of Mrs. White.

I have tried to answer this false view of yours previously, but I shall here make a more thorough response, and hope that it can, if nothing more, settle the issue in your mind of where I stand on it.

Because the quotes are not many, I will here quote every single statement in Mrs. White's published works which refers to the "all that man can know of God" philosophy which you have adopted. To save space, I will put these in a single quote box.
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
In Christ Jesus is a revelation of the glory of the Godhead. All that the human agent can know of God to the saving of the soul, is the measure of the knowledge of the truth as it is in Jesus, to which he can attain; for Christ is he who represents the Father. The most wonderful truth to be grasped by men is the truth, "Immanuel, God with us." Christ is the wisdom of God. He is the great "I AM" to the world. As we contemplate the glory of the divine character as revealed in Christ, we are led to exclaim, "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" This wisdom is displayed in the love that reaches out for the recovery of lost and ruined man. {ST, December 12, 1895 par. 5}

In Christ Jesus is a revelation of the glory of the Godhead. All that the human agent can know of God to the saving of the soul, is the measure of the knowledge of the truth as it is in Jesus, to which he can attain; for Christ is He who represents the Father. The most wonderful truth to be grasped by men is the truth, "Immanuel, God with us." Christ is the wisdom of God. He is the great "I Am" to the world. As we contemplate the glory of the divine character as revealed in Christ, we are led to exclaim, "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" This wisdom is displayed in the love that reaches out for the recovery of lost and ruined man. {ST, July 3, 1907 par. 5}

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. . . . {FLB 17.3}

Human talents and human conjecture have tried by searching to find out God. Many have trodden this pathway. The highest intellect may tax itself until it is wearied out, in conjectures regarding God, but the effort will be fruitless, and the fact will remain that man by searching cannot find out God. This problem has not been given us to solve. All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son, the Great Teacher. As we learn more and more of what man is, of what we ourselves are, in God's sight, we shall fear and tremble before Him. {MM 95.2}

(John 17:3.) Avoiding Guesswork in the Quest for God.--Human talent and human conjecture have tried by searching to find out God. But guesswork has proved itself to be guesswork. Man cannot by searching find out God. This problem has not been given to human beings. All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in His Word and in the life of His Son, the great Teacher. {6BC 1079.9}

Christ's Revelation of God

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}
"No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18. {8T 286.2}

Human talent and human conjecture have tried by searching to find out God. Many have trodden this pathway. The highest intellect may tax itself until it is wearied out in conjectures regarding God, but the effort will be fruitless, and the fact will remain that man by searching cannot find out God. This problem has not been given us to solve. All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son, the Great Teacher. As we learn more and more of what man is, of what we ourselves are in God's sight, we shall fear and tremble before Him. {UL 323.3}

"'Human talent and human conjecture have tried by searching to find out God. Many have trodden this pathway. The highest intellect may tax itself until it is wearied out, in conjectures regarding God, but the effort will be fruitless, and the fact will remain that man by searching can not find out God. This problem has not been given us to solve. All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son, the great Teacher. As we learn more and more of what man is, of what we ourselves are, in God's sight, we shall fear and tremble before Him. {PH095 40.1}

"Human talent and human conjecture have tried by searching to find out God. Many have trodden this pathway. The highest intellect may tax itself until it is wearied out, in conjectures regarding God, but the effort will be fruitless; and the fact will remain that man, by searching, can not find out God. This problem has not been given us to solve. All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son, the Great Teacher. As we learn more and more of what man is, of what we ourselves are, in God's sight, we shall fear and tremble before Him. {LLM 253.3}

1) Ellen White includes the Bible as being part of the body of knowledge given to us which reveals the Father to us. "All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in His Word and in the life of His Son, the great Teacher."

2) If you accept the quote in point #1 to be inspired, then you must necessarily expand your view to include the Bible as well. If the Bible is not to be included, then the quote in #1 becomes false, i.e. a lie.

3) There is not one single statement in all of those which indicates that the life of Jesus is the ONLY source of knowledge of God.

4) There is not one single statement in all of those which indicates that the life of Jesus alone is responsible for giving us the fullest possible revelation of God which we can comprehend.

5) Ellen White speaks of Christ, saying, "Christ is the wisdom of God. He is the great "I Am" to the world." The Bible says "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him]." (John 1:18) This means, significantly, that Adam, Enoch (while on earth), Abraham, Jacob, Moses, and others who saw God, ate with Him, wrestled with Him, talked with Him--ALL saw Jesus. Was Jesus alive?

6) If Jesus was alive during the times of the old testament, and spoke with Moses from the burning bush, on the Mount, and to all the Israelites in a thunderous voice (He is, after all, the "Word," is He not?), how can you say this is NOT part of "Jesus' life?"

7) Mrs. White includes BOTH "Jesus' life" AND "Jesus' character" (in addition to the Bible) as being those things which reveal to us the Father. As we have discussed in other threads, Jesus' character, indeed, God's character, is revealed through the law. Can we then safely turn our eyes from the law, and say it does not reveal God to us?

8) One final blow: this is important!

If you hold rigidly to your view that Jesus' 4 BC - 31 AD lifetime on earth is the only relevant time portion in which the Father's character can have been revealed to man (i.e. "through the life and character of His Son"), then it follows that NO ONE BEFORE JESUS' TIME KNEW ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT GOD.

Look carefully at the following quote:
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Christ's Revelation of God

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}
"No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18. {8T 286.2}

If no man has ever seen God, nor was revealed anything about God until Jesus came in the flesh, then no one in Old Testament times could have possibly known God. All the altars of Israel would have necessarily been to the "unknown God!" This is because they could not possibly know about God until Jesus came.

I hope you will forgive my forcefulness in making the above statements. I make them so, because I feel very strongly about the effects of this misunderstanding being allowed to continue and perpetuated. It will eventually, if continued, erase the Old Testament, and write it off as irrelevant.

I think this second point is not a true difference, however, as I don't think any of those who hold the false view would view God's motive to be any different than yours. They would, along with you, say that God was simply recompensing the wicked for what they had done, and that He was righteous and just for so doing.

Tom,

Are you seeking to exasperate us by continually misrepresenting our view?

The false view of hell means God, who supposedly hates sin, perpetuates it for eternity! It means those who supposedly are saints, enjoy hearing the shrieks of the wicked mingled with their songs of praise! for eternity!

None of us here is in that camp. Those motives are foreign to us, just as they are to you.

If you do not see the clear distinction in motives presented by God Himself in His law of capital punishment as outlined in Numbers 35, perhaps re-reading it might help. If you still do not see a distinction, it is futile to continue this discussion, as you will be incapable of comprehending, and will continue to malign our view the way Satan maligns God's character. I am not saying, by the way, that my view is perfect. However, I am basing my view firmly upon Sacred Writ. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God."

Your strategy in interpreting these events appears to be to ignore a large portion of scripture, and claim that the only valid points in the discussion will come from your preferred passage (namely the Gospels). I do not feel such a strategy is faithful to the Bible.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119834
09/27/09 05:31 PM
09/27/09 05:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:GC, do you not agree with the concept that Jesus Christ, in the flesh, came with the specific purpose of revealing the Father? And that this revelation full and complete?

GC:Tom, in order to misrepresent my views, you must necessarily misrepresent those of Mrs. White upon whom I have partly based my views along with help from the Bible itself, which is also undermined in your false interpretation of Mrs. White.

I have tried to answer this false view of yours previously, but I shall here make a more thorough response, and hope that it can, if nothing more, settle the issue in your mind of where I stand on it.

It's not a view, but a question. One that can be answered "yes" or "no." If the answer is "no," you can simply explain what the difference is. There's no need for invective.

Quote:
If you hold rigidly to your view that Jesus' 4 BC - 31 AD lifetime on earth is the only relevant time portion in which the Father's character can have been revealed to man (i.e. "through the life and character of His Son"), then it follows that NO ONE BEFORE JESUS' TIME KNEW ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT GOD.

No, GC. This isn't reasoning correctly.

If I say "All that can be known about X was revealed by Y" this doesn't imply that nobody knew anything at all about X before Y revealed it. Isn't it clear to you that this reasoning is wrong?

Here's a specific example. Let's say there are 1,000 facts to know about some subject. Let's says that Y discovered all 1,000 of these things. Before Y came along, perhaps nothing was known, perhaps 999 things were known, or perhaps any number in between. Saying that "all that can be known about X was revealed by Y" doesn't tell you how much was known before Y's revelation, but simply that Y's revelation was complete. In other words, there's nothing that was known about X before Y came along that Y did not reveal.

Quote:
GC:If no man has ever seen God, nor was revealed anything about God until Jesus came in the flesh, then no one in Old Testament times could have possibly known God. All the altars of Israel would have necessarily been to the "unknown God!" This is because they could not possibly know about God until Jesus came.

That Jesus Christ, in the flesh, revealed all that man can know of God does not mean that nothing could be known of God before Christ came, but rather that there is nothing which can be known of God which He did not reveal when He came.

Quote:
I hope you will forgive my forcefulness in making the above statements. I make them so, because I feel very strongly about the effects of this misunderstanding being allowed to continue and perpetuated.

I think correct reasoning would be preferred. Also, since this is a dry medium, where one's body language can't be seen, nor tone of voice heard, statements are already forceful, by the nature of the medium, so there's no need to add force to them.

Quote:
It will eventually, if continued, erase the Old Testament, and write it off as irrelevant.

Not at all! The OT, and all Scripture, can only be properly understood if we know God, and the way to know God is through Jesus Christ. By believing Jesus Christ's revelation of God, the "whole purpose" of His earthly mission, we provide ourselves a firm foundation upon which we can study Scripture. But without a firm understand of God's character already in place, before we start our journey, we're doomed to make mistakes.

Quote:
T:I think this second point is not a true difference, however, as I don't think any of those who hold the false view would view God's motive to be any different than yours. They would, along with you, say that God was simply recompensing the wicked for what they had done, and that He was righteous and just for so doing.

Tom,

Are you seeking to exasperate us by continually misrepresenting our view?

No. I'm trying to understand if your view is different than the false view represented in GC 536, other than the time element, and if so, how.

Quote:
The false view of hell means God, who supposedly hates sin, perpetuates it for eternity!

This is the time element, already accounted for.

Quote:
It means those who supposedly are saints, enjoy hearing the shrieks of the wicked mingled with their songs of praise! for eternity!

None of us here is in that camp.

MM, for one, has expressed a thought very close to this. For example:

Quote:
TE - When the wicked are resurrected, God will cast them into a lake of fire, something like molten lava, which He will keep them supernaturally alive to suffer by being scalded, or boiled, until they pay by physical suffering for each sin they have committed. The righteous who witness this will be rejoice to see this happen, even when it involves their children or other loved ones. Holy angels who witness the suffering of the wicked will rejoice. God will rejoice in the suffering of our loved ones.

MM - Correct. The lake of fire, though, is caused by Jesus raining down fire upon the unsaved sinners. They suffer in proportion to the sins they committed. They worse the sins the more severe the suffering. Some are suffer fewer stripes, others more - depending on their sinfulness. I cannot understand how we will rejoice with the angels, but the Bible and the SOP make it clear we will.

Quote:
Those motives are foreign to us, just as they are to you.

I don't know that they are foreign to you, which is why I'm asking what the difference is between your view and the view represented in GC 536. By the way, do you disagree with the above that I've quoted? (my comment, and MM's response)

Quote:
If you do not see the clear distinction in motives presented by God Himself in His law of capital punishment as outlined in Numbers 35, perhaps re-reading it might help.

I've asking for the difference of your view and GC 536.

Quote:
If you still do not see a distinction, it is futile to continue this discussion, as you will be incapable of comprehending, and will continue to malign our view the way Satan maligns God's character.

I've asking for the difference of your view and GC 536.

Quote:
I am not saying, by the way, that my view is perfect. However, I am basing my view firmly upon Sacred Writ. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God."

I think the approach being taken (i.e. methodology) is faulty, for reasons I've pointed out. It's not enough to base a view on Scripture. One needs to know God as He is revealed through Jesus Christ to be able to come to correct decisions in regards to the teachings of Scripture. To construct a correct theology requires a proper understanding of God's character, as fully revealed by Jesus Christ in the flesh. This was the whole purpose of His mission. Our study of God's character should being with Christ, and be centered in Him.

Quote:
Your strategy in interpreting these events appears to be to ignore a large portion of scripture, and claim that the only valid points in the discussion will come from your preferred passage (namely the Gospels). I do not feel such a strategy is faithful to the Bible.

I've not said anything specifically about the Gospels. Nor have I suggested ignoring any portion of Scripture whatsoever. I've suggested that the whole purpose of Jesus Christ's earthly mission was the revelation of God, and I've suggested that all that we can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ in the flesh. I've also suggested that to form a correct theology, we need to start with a correct understanding of God's character, and that such an understanding is achieved by believing that which Jesus Christ in the flesh revealed of God.

Ok, back to my question regarding the view in GC 536. You see two differences between your view and that view.

1.The time element.
2.The rejoicing of the righteous.

In your view, the righteous will not be rejoicing as the wicked suffer.

Have I correctly represented your position here?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119837
09/27/09 10:52 PM
09/27/09 10:52 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
That Jesus Christ, in the flesh, revealed all that man can know of God does not mean that nothing could be known of God before Christ came, but rather that there is nothing which can be known of God which He did not reveal when He came.

This is simply false.

Let me be clear: Jesus did NOT reveal all that man can know about the Father during 33 years of "life in the flesh." Nor does Ellen White say so.

Did not Jesus create the world? Did He not create all the different animals? Where did Jesus create any new forms of life during His 33 years on earth? In fact, the manner in which Jesus created the world shows me that God loves variety. Where do we see this in Jesus' life?

"All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in His Word and in the life of His Son, the great Teacher." {6BC 1079.9}

I believe the above statement includes the conjunction "AND," referring to the entire history of God's interaction with mankind, while you seem to believe it refers only to Jesus' 33-year life. We differ.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 15 of 105 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!