HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 105 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119913
09/29/09 02:35 PM
09/29/09 02:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:I <had> some material ready to post (my "soon-coming post") but the power went out, and I lost it all...so it may not be so soon-coming as I had planned. smile

Regarding the "rhetorical question," let's make it a real question, shall we?

Were the Jews the children of Abraham?

There's a real reason that I ask this question, so it was not intended to be rhetorical.

Ok, if it's a real question, what specifically are you asking? Are you asking if the Jews were physical descendants of Abraham? Or are you asking in a spiritual sense? (as in how Jesus spoke when He said God could make children of Abraham from the rocks). Or do you have some other meaning in mind?

Quote:
T:Yes, I believe Christ led the Israelites in the wilderness.

GC:And was Christ alive?

T:Not in humanity, so no, not in the sense the statement "All that man needs to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son."

GC:So you mean to say that "the life and character" of Jesus lasted only 33 years? He was not "alive" before this?

I said, "When she says that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son, she's clearly speaking of when He became flesh." I quoted the following:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son.

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18.

Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He was in all things made like unto His brethren. He became flesh, even as we are. He was hungry and thirsty and weary. He was sustained by food and refreshed by sleep. He shared the lot of men, and yet He was the blameless Son of God. He was a stranger and sojourner on the earth--in the world, but not of the world; tempted and tried as men and women today are tempted and tried, yet living a life free from sin. (8T 216)

making the part bold I was emphasizing. Jesus Christ, in His humanity, while here in the flesh, revealed all that man needs to know, or can know, of God.

Quote:

GC:Was He not also the One who spoke with the patriarchs?

T:Not in His humanity.

GC:Did He not reveal anything at all to them?

T:Not in His humanity.

GC:When you say "whole" and then mean "fraction" it doesn't add up.

T:I didn't say it ("whole purpose"). I referred to it, which is why I put it in quotes. That the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God is taken from ST 1/20/90

GC:I have no issue with Christ's whole purpose during His "life in the flesh". I am taking an issue with the converse of this, which is to say it was NOT His purpose at any prior time. That is the fallacious logic I am objecting to.

T:But this fallacious logic was never set forth (at least by me). So why object to it?

GC:You have made the point very clear here that you only believe Mrs. White was referring to Jesus' life in the flesh. However, do you have some statement to that effect? Where does she say this?

You didn't respond to my question. Why are you objecting to logic that was never set forth?

The statement speaks for itself. Jesus Christ revealed all that man needs to know, or can know, of God. She quotes John 1:18, and speaks of Jesus Christ's taking humanity upon Him, becoming flesh, even as we are.

The question you're asking here isn't very precise. I haven't said "I only believe Mrs. White was referring to Jesus' life in the flesh" but that the context of the statement which I cited is Jesus Christ in His humanity. In other words, I didn't say Ellen White said that Jesus Christ only revealed God while in His humanity, but that she said that Jesus Christ, in His humanity, revealed all that man needs to know, or can know, of God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119918
09/29/09 03:28 PM
09/29/09 03:28 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Ok, if it's a real question, what specifically are you asking? Are you asking if the Jews were physical descendants of Abraham? Or are you asking in a spiritual sense? (as in how Jesus spoke when He said God could make children of Abraham from the rocks). Or do you have some other meaning in mind?

Tom,

I'm glad you see a distinction here. That is partly what I am getting at. Shall we subdivide the question?

1) Were the Jews of Jesus' time physical children of Abraham (i.e. descendants of Abraham)?
2) Were the Jews of Jesus' time spiritual children of Abraham (and let's clarify this as referring to the time of Jesus' ministry, prior to the cross)?

I said, "When she says that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son, she's clearly speaking of when He became flesh."

I see the quote you've posted, but how can you be sure the first sentence there and a sentence in a later paragraph are directly corollary?

(I can give a multitude of examples where things appear on the same page or within a few paragraphs of each other that look related but can be demonstrated otherwise.)

Is there any statement where she specifies that all we can know of God was revealed by Jesus while in the flesh?

The statement which you have quoted does not specify this. It can easily be read to say that by taking humanity, Jesus revealed a part of God which could not be revealed in any other way. It does not, however, exclude the possibility of Jesus having revealed aspects of God prior to, or following His incarnation on earth. The very fact that John 1:18 is quoted, beginning with "No man hath seen God at any time," indicates that Mrs. White is addressing times beyond that of Jesus' earthly ministry, and inclusive of it. To then transition into speaking of that earthly ministry would be quite natural, and appropriately, as the focus shifts, a new paragraph is started.

Your objection to my objection of certain logic here seems to be a result of misunderstanding my statement. If you say that you have never made the claim which I was objecting to, then this discussion will soon end as you and I will find ourselves in agreement.

To restate it, in hopefully better terms, the logic is this (pardon my summarizing here):

1) Mrs. White says that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God.

2) Tom says that no aspect of God was revealed prior to this mission that was not also revealed during this mission, and that much had never yet been revealed.

3) I say that Christ's whole purpose, even before His "mission" (meaning His earthly ministry) has been the revelation of God. Jesus may or may not have re-revealed every point previously revealed about God. (And I say He did not accomplish such, but recommended the Scriptures to His hearers for "further study." See John 5:39.)

I further see the fact that the converse of "the whole purpose of [Christ's] mission," i.e. either this was not His purpose before (new purpose) or else He had different purposes before (purpose changed), cannot be true.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

This purpose has not changed. His "whole purpose" was to "set men right." Additionally, I believe He has always sought to do so "through the revelation of God."

Was God not revealed at Sinai? When did Jesus ever thunder down the Ten Commandments during His earthly ministry? Does that mean that since He did not do this, it could not have been in character for God to do so at Sinai? If so, then who proclaimed the law at Sinai, if not God? wink

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119934
09/29/09 06:15 PM
09/29/09 06:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom,

I'm glad you see a distinction here. That is partly what I am getting at. Shall we subdivide the question?

1) Were the Jews of Jesus' time physical children of Abraham (i.e. descendants of Abraham)?
2) Were the Jews of Jesus' time spiritual children of Abraham (and let's clarify this as referring to the time of Jesus' ministry, prior to the cross)?

When you speak of Jews, are you speaking physically or spiritually? If the former, than most were children of Abraham (i.e. descendants) although some were not (being converts or children of converts). Some of these were also spiritual children of Abraham. If you're speaking spiritually, then all of these were children of Abraham in the spiritual sense, and some were also physical children, and some not.

Quote:
I said, "When she says that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son, she's clearly speaking of when He became flesh."

I see the quote you've posted, but how can you be sure the first sentence there and a sentence in a later paragraph are directly corollary?

The statement which you have quoted does not specify this. It can easily be read to say that by taking humanity, Jesus revealed a part of God which could not be revealed in any other way.

The section heading is "Christ's Revelation of God". Her topic sentence is "All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son." She then quotes John 1:18, where John was making the point that Christ became flesh in order to reveal the father (this is John's context) and goes no to make the same point that John did, that Christ became flesh to reveal God. It's clear to see that when she says that Christ revealed all that man needs to know of God, or can know of God, she is referring to His humanity. She doesn't speak of anything other than His humanity.

Quote:
It does not, however, exclude the possibility of Jesus having revealed aspects of God prior to, or following His incarnation on earth.

Of course Christ revealed aspects of God prior to and following His incarnation, but her point is that all that man needs to know of God, or can know of Him, were revealed by Christ in His humanity.

Quote:
The very fact that John 1:18 is quoted, beginning with "No man hath seen God at any time," indicates that Mrs. White is addressing times beyond that of Jesus' earthly ministry, and inclusive of it.

John's point is that no one had seen God, and so Christ came, to make God known, to make Him visible, familiar. Ellen White makes the same point in ST 1/20/90:

Quote:
Angels could not fully portray the character of God, but Christ, who was a living impersonation of God, could not fail to accomplish the work. The only way in which he could set and keep men right was to make himself visible and familiar to their eyes. That men might have salvation he came directly to man, and became a partaker of his nature.

This is the same theme as John, and the same theme as her message in 8T.

Quote:
To then transition into speaking of that earthly ministry would be quite natural, and appropriately, as the focus shifts, a new paragraph is started.

She says that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son, and she starts talking about that. There's a topic sentence, which introduces her topic, and then amplification of that.

Are you looking at a book, or online? (in regards to 8T 216)

Quote:
Your objection to my objection of certain logic here seems to be a result of misunderstanding my statement. If you say that you have never made the claim which I was objecting to, then this discussion will soon end as you and I will find ourselves in agreement.

I said that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ in His humanity. This does not imply there aren't things about God which could be known before or after this, but that anything which can be known of God was revealed by Jesus Christ in His humanity. I've repeated this a number of times. This seems very clear to me. Is there something unclear here?

Quote:
To restate it, in hopefully better terms, the logic is this (pardon my summarizing here):

1) Mrs. White says that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God.

Right.

Quote:

2) Tom says that no aspect of God was revealed prior to this mission that was not also revealed during this mission, and that much had never yet been revealed.

I said this follows from EGW's statement that, in His humanity, Christ revealed all that man needs to know, or can know, of God.

Quote:
3) I say that Christ's whole purpose, even before His "mission" (meaning His earthly ministry) has been the revelation of God.

I agree with this. This has always been Christ's mission, and is the focus of the Great Controversy. Since the accusations against God's character began, one could rightly say this has been His "whole purpose." However, there were things about God we could not know without His becoming flesh, so He became flesh so that we could know everything we needed to know, or could know, of God.

Quote:
Jesus may or may not have re-revealed every point previously revealed about God.

If He, in His humanity, revealed everything man can know of God, then this must include everything, whether previously revealed or not.

Quote:
(And I say He did not accomplish such, but recommended the Scriptures to His hearers for "further study." See John 5:39.)

That says that the Scriptures testify of Him, but they wouldn't come to Him to receive life, which has been my point. Eternal life is to know God. Christ is the way to God. He revealed God.

There's a nice Ty Gibson quote on this. Maybe I'll look that up later.

Quote:
I further see the fact that the converse of "the whole purpose of [Christ's] mission," i.e. either this was not His purpose before (new purpose) or else He had different purposes before (purpose changed), cannot be true.

If you're saying He had the same purpose before and after His incarnation, I agree.

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

[quote]GC:This purpose has not changed. His "whole purpose" was to "set men right." Additionally, I believe He has always sought to do so "through the revelation of God."

Agreed. But before coming in the flesh, He was limited in how effectively He could do so.

Quote:
Was God not revealed at Sinai? When did Jesus ever thunder down the Ten Commandments during His earthly ministry? Does that mean that since He did not do this, it could not have been in character for God to do so at Sinai? If so, then who proclaimed the law at Sinai, if not God?

Have you read Waggoner's "The Everlasting Covenant"? He speaks of how Christ was revealed at Sinai. It's online. Perhaps I'll quote from that too.

I think most people misunderstand the revelation of God from Sinai. Certainly if we think the revelation at Sinai presented a different revelation of God than Christ's revelation while in the flesh, we're misunderstanding it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119953
09/30/09 01:34 AM
09/30/09 01:34 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
her point is that all that man needs to know of God, or can know of Him, were revealed by Christ in His humanity.

You described the final experience of the wicked this way:
I think the judgment will reveal reality to the wicked. What is revealed will include their sins, the times they turned away from Christ, and so forth. They will see their life as it really was, and what they see will cause them suffering depending upon how much light they have had and what they have done.

Did Jesus, in His humanity, ever "reveal reality to the wicked" in a way that "cause[d] them suffering" such as what you describe? Since you are saying this is what God will do, can you cite an example when Jesus did this in His humanity?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #119967
09/30/09 10:26 AM
09/30/09 10:26 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
When you speak of Jews, are you speaking physically or spiritually? If the former, than most were children of Abraham (i.e. descendants) although some were not (being converts or children of converts). Some of these were also spiritual children of Abraham. If you're speaking spiritually, then all of these were children of Abraham in the spiritual sense, and some were also physical children, and some not.

Tom,

I agree with that assessment. Well said! Now, we both believe these points because they fit our logical minds given the historical information we have, right?

Guess what?...this may throw us for a loop....
Jesus denied that the Jews were children of Abraham. He said, "Ye do the deeds of your father." In mockery they answered, "We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God." These words, in allusion to the circumstances of His birth, were intended as a thrust against Christ in the presence of those who were beginning to believe on Him. Jesus gave no heed to the base insinuation, but said, "If God were your Father, ye would love Me: for I proceeded forth and came from God." {DA 467.2}

If I wish to be dogmatic, I can say that since Mrs. White said "Jesus denied that the Jews were children of Abraham," then that means that the Jews are not descendants of Abraham. Or, I could apply this in the spiritual sense and say that none of the Jews were children of God! Either way is a misinterpretation of Mrs. White's words, don't you think?

Mrs. White speaks of the Jews being children of Abraham. She speaks of Jesus, who was a Jew, being a descendant of Abraham.
Christ was the leader of the Hebrews as they marched from Egypt to Canaan. In union with the Father, Christ proclaimed the law amid the thunders of Sinai to the Jews, and when He appeared on earth as a man, He came as a descendant of Abraham.

The Jews had been instructed from childhood concerning the work of the Messiah. The inspired utterances of patriarchs and prophets and the symbolic teaching of the sacrificial service had been theirs. But they had disregarded the light; and now they saw in Jesus nothing to be desired. But the centurion, born in heathenism, educated in the idolatry of imperial Rome, trained as a soldier, seemingly cut off from spiritual life by his education and surroundings, and still further shut out by the bigotry of the Jews, and by the contempt of his own countrymen for the people of Israel,--this man perceived the truth to which the children of Abraham were blinded. He did not wait to see whether the Jews themselves would receive the One who claimed to be their Messiah. As the "light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world" (John 1:9) had shone upon him, he had, though afar off, discerned the glory of the Son of God. {DA 317.2}

"Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the friend of God." James 2:23. And Paul says, "They which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham." Galatians 3:7. ... {PP 153.4}

Paul had, in vision, a view of the city of God, with its foundations; and he represents the true Christian converts to be gold, silver, and precious stones. But the Jews made the work of Paul exceedingly difficult. They were continually claiming to be the only true children of Abraham, and therefore the only legitimate building-stones for God's house; and when the Gentiles accepted the gospel, and were brought to the true foundation, the Jews murmured about this material. Thus they hindered the work of God; nevertheless, the apostle unflinchingly continued his labors. {LP 156.2}

The point I am making here, Tom, is that even though in one paragraph Mrs. White says something very emphatic about Jesus' portrayal of the Jews' not being "children of Abraham," the emphasis notwithstanding, Ellen White's statements in other places provide us with necessary balance to catch the context of these words.

The same is true of Mrs. White's statement regarding "all that man can know." There are balancing statements which must not be ignored. There is no need to put blinders on and say "B-b-but here it says 'all' and she relates it to Jesus' earthly ministry ONLY." The fact is, she had no such intention, any more than Mrs. White intended to deny the Jewish heritage. She was speaking to a particular issue, making a singular point, which was not to be broadly applied to every other topic.

One must "rightly divide the word of truth." Common sense can help--but proper use of balancing statements and context is quintessential.

To me, the "Holy Bible" consists of 66 books. How many books are in your Bible? Do not they all reveal God to us? Can any of the books be said to NOT reveal God to us?

Mrs. White's balancing statements to the one you like so well are these:
Human talent and human conjecture have tried by searching to find out God. But guesswork has proved itself to be guesswork. Man cannot by searching find out God. This problem has not been given to human beings. All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in His Word and in the life of His Son, the great Teacher. {6BC 1079.9}

The Bible and Jesus' life receive equal mention here. Significantly, the Bible is the first to be mentioned in this statement. The statement includes the entire Scriptures, with special emphasis on the Living Word (Jesus).
In Christ Jesus is a revelation of the glory of the Godhead. All that the human agent can know of God to the saving of the soul, is the measure of the knowledge of the truth as it is in Jesus, to which he can attain; for Christ is he who represents the Father. The most wonderful truth to be grasped by men is the truth, "Immanuel, God with us." Christ is the wisdom of God. He is the great "I AM" to the world. As we contemplate the glory of the divine character as revealed in Christ, we are led to exclaim, "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" This wisdom is displayed in the love that reaches out for the recovery of lost and ruined man. {ST, December 12, 1895 par. 5}
All that is necessary to know for salvation does not necessarily mean all that is possible to know.
The heart that has once tasted the love of Christ, cries out continually for a deeper draft, and as you impart you will receive in richer and more abundant measure. Every revelation of God to the soul increases the capacity to know and to love. The continual cry of the heart is, "More of Thee," and ever the Spirit's answer is, "Much more." Romans 5:9, 10. For our God delights to do "exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think." Ephesians 3:20.... {MB 20.3}

The more we know, the more capacity we have to know. Moreover, God "delights" to give us "Much more."
Originally Posted By: Jesus
I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. (John 16:12-13, KJV)

Jesus told His disciples rather plainly here that they would learn MORE, when the Spirit of Truth was come to them...which in other places He stated would happen AFTER His ascension.

The context is important. And it is clear. God wants to teach us more, much more. Ellen White is one such source. Ellen White's truths have not come to us "from the earthly ministry of Jesus," but from her personal visions of Heaven and communion with God and the angels. Has she revealed things that Christ did not share? She most certainly has. If she has not, and if truly no prophet can teach us anything more since we have already learned "all" that it is possible to know about God from Christ's earthly ministry, then I guess we need not believe in the prophetic gift any longer. The gift would have perished at Christ's ascension--or at least, no new truths would be uncovered afterwards.

I hope you understand why I cannot accept such a view as you hold about "all" revelation of God coming packaged in 33 years' time.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119988
10/01/09 02:39 AM
10/01/09 02:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: asygo
Did Jesus, in His humanity, ever "reveal reality to the wicked" in a way that "cause[d] them suffering" such as what you describe? Since you are saying this is what God will do, can you cite an example when Jesus did this in His humanity?

First of all, the point isn't that Christ did everything that God has done, or will do, but that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Christ in His humanity. This is what was second.

Secondly, in response to your question here, the cleansing of the temple comes immediately to mind. It seems to speak of similar principles, the wicked becoming aware of their sins because of a look of Christ, divinity flashing through humanity, their not being able to abide His presence because only the pure of heart could, etc.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119989
10/01/09 03:00 AM
10/01/09 03:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, I hold the view that all that man can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ because of Ellen White. I learned it from her, but I know of others who have echoed it. Here's one place:(The following are excerpts from "Is God to Blame" by Greg Boyd)

Quote:
This is the foundation of all sin: the lie that God is untrustworthy, the lie that God is not altogether loving and that He doesn't have our best interests in mind. Adam and Eve came under the grip of this deceptive picture of God. At that moment they stopped trusting God as their source of life. Consequently, they saw themselves as deficient...

A faulty picture of God led to an ungodly evaluation that in turn brought about a rebellious action...The lie created an emptiness as well as the futile and rebellious means of filling it. A false concept of God, and therefore of herself, gave birth to sinful behavior, which in turn brought about spiritual and physical death (see Jas 1:14-16)...

Just as the foundation of all that separates us from God is a false picture of God, so too the foundation of all that restores our innocent communication iwth God is a true picture of God. So everything hangs on the question, Where do we find the true picture of God? The answer that the Bible unequivocally and emphatically gives is Jesus Christ.

Jesus is the truth that dispels the serpent's lie...

When God thinks, John is saying, it is Jesus. And when God expresses Himself, it is Jesus...wherever and whenever God thinks and expresses Himself, it is Jesus Christ.

Moreover, it has been this way throughout eternity...

This means that in knowing, we are not knowing someone "one step removed" from God. in knowing Jesus we are knowing God Himself, God in His eternal essence. In seeing Jesus, we are seeing the very heart of God...

Whereas the enemy covered up the true God in a veil of deceptive darkness that brought death, Jesus turns the light on so we can see who God really is. In doing this, Jesus gives life...

Only the revelation of God in Christ completely dispels all forms of the lie we have been deceived into believing. When our picture of God is built on any foundation other than Jesus Christ...we will be vulnerable to believing a lie about God... We will embrace a god that is consistent with our jaded presuppositions and fallible expectations, which keep us in bondage to the serpent's lie. Our understanding of God, ourselves, suffering and every other aspect of creation will be to some extent corrupted...

Idolatry takes place when we don't allow God to define Himself for us in Christ but rather embrace a picture of God on the basis of our life experiences, philosophical speculations or non-Christ-centered interpretations of Scripture...

All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ, for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ...

Christ was not an innocent third party who was punished against His will to apease the Father's wrath...Hence His sacrifice does not appease God's wrath; it reveals God's love.... In the crucified Christ the truth about God, about us and about the world is most perfectly revealed. For the cross is where reconciliation between God and the world is accomplished...

Under the impact of the primordial deception, the "natural mind" does not expect the omnipotent Creator to like like this...

The most fundamental distinguishing characteristic of every false picture of God is that it qualifies and compromises the truth about God's love. The most fundamental distinguishing characteristic of the true God is that the love He is and the love He gives is unsurpassable. A greater love simply cannot be conceived.

The love that God eternally is, is manifested in the love that God gives. And the love God gives is displayed most perfectly on the cross. (emphasis original)

It's rather interesting here that the author (not an SDA!) uses almost the same language as Ellen White did:

Quote:
All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ, for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ.

I believe the reason this writer was able to express this truth so articulately, and so similarly to Ellen White, is that it comes straight from Scripture.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119990
10/01/09 03:15 AM
10/01/09 03:15 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's another author, this time an SDA, presenting similar thoughts:

Quote:
Where then do we find perfect clarity? The Bible gives only one answer: "The very God who commanded the light to shine out of darkness has illuminated our hearts by giving the light of the knowledge of His true character in the person of Jesus Christ(2 Cor. 4:6; personal translation). Another passage of Scripture explains that Jesus is "the brightness of God's glory [character] and the express image of His person [who God is and what He's like]" (Heb. 1:3)

If we want to see God clearly, we need to look at Jesus.
Not at religion.
Not an any other person.
Not at our own experiences in life.
Not even at any isolated doctrinal truth outside of the illuminating context of Christ...

In Christ alone do we encounter God with perfect clarity. All other media are dim at best and completely distorted at worst...

Understanding who God really is, seeing His true character distinct from all false pictures, is the psychological and emotional substance of which eternal life is compared. Knowing God heals the soul of all internal maladies and imparts of a quality of life that is eternal...

Jesus says, Eternal life is to know the only true God as He is revealed in the One whom He has sent--Jesus Christ. (Ty Gibson, See With New Eyes, 28-29)

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119992
10/01/09 04:00 AM
10/01/09 04:00 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo

First of all, the point isn't that Christ did everything that God has done, or will do, but that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Christ in His humanity. This is what was second.

Secondly, in response to your question here, the cleansing of the temple comes immediately to mind. It seems to speak of similar principles, the wicked becoming aware of their sins because of a look of Christ, divinity flashing through humanity, their not being able to abide His presence because only the pure of heart could, etc.

How do you know God is going to do what you say He is going to do? When Jesus cleansed the temple, nobody experienced mental anguish to the point of eternal death, as you say will happen at the end. They ran away, but they came back, with their hearts still as impure as before. If the cleansing of the temple is your prototype, there will be no eternal death caused by mental anguish - they will just run away, then return after a while.

How did you find out that God will do what you say He will, when Jesus never did that in His life? In your example, He just revealed enough reality to make the bad guys run away for a little bit, but not eternal death, not even the first death.

Do you have another example that can better support your thesis?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119993
10/01/09 04:03 AM
10/01/09 04:03 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I hold the view that all that man can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ

I think we all hold that view. The difference is that you believe the time frame for the "revealed by Jesus Christ" is limited to the 33 years He spent walking in sandals, while there are those of us who believe He has been revealing God for thousands of years.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 17 of 105 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!