HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Green Cochoa] #119945
09/29/09 10:39 PM
09/29/09 10:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I think my point was that it was not Mike saying it, but rather Ellen White. If you wish to say that Ellen White is using terms you disagree with, take that up with her.

This isn't true. Here's what MM said:

Quote:
M: Tom, it is clear in the Bible and the SOP that God has employed the withdraw and permit principle.

This is uniquely MM's wording. I've never seen any one else say this. Certainly Ellen White didn't.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Green Cochoa] #119947
09/29/09 11:37 PM
09/29/09 11:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:There are times when God acts, and times when God permits. However, in both cases, God is ultimately responsible.

T:By "ultimately responsible" do you mean something more than God's permitting it to happen? For example, is God ultimately responsible for the entrance of sin into the universe? One could say yes, in the sense that He created beings who could use their free will to sin, and this would apply to Saul's death as well. Did you have something beyond this in mind? (i.e., simply permitting a thing to happen, in Saul's case)

GC:I think it is important to realize that God is in control. Period. He does not need to be called to our account for it, He is in charge, and not us.

Is God responsible for the entrance of sin into the universe?

Regarding God's wrath being revealed, it has been revealed. Throughout Scripture is has been revealed, and Romans 1 draws specific attention to this, to name just one spot:

Quote:
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Above all, the wrath of God was revealed on the cross.

Regarding God's being called to account, it's certainly true that we have no rights over God, but God is humble, incredibly so (as Jesus' washing His disciples feet demonstrated), and has submitted His case for all to be judged. Every knee will bow, not because God forces them to against their will, but because they will have been convinced that God is righteous, by the judgment.

Quote:
3It is true that some of them did not believe the message. But does this mean that God cannot be trusted, just because they did not have faith? 4No, indeed! God tells the truth, even if everyone else is a liar. The Scriptures say about God,

"Your words

will be proven true,

and in court

you will win your case." (Romans 3:3,4)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: kland] #119948
09/29/09 11:53 PM
09/29/09 11:53 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I think my point was that it was not Mike saying it, but rather Ellen White. If you wish to say that Ellen White is using terms you disagree with, take that up with her.

This isn't true. Here's what MM said:

Quote:
M: Tom, it is clear in the Bible and the SOP that God has employed the withdraw and permit principle.

This is uniquely MM's wording. I've never seen any one else say this. Certainly Ellen White didn't.

Tom,

You have not done due diligence. That's not the statement I was referencing, but this one:
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Your interpretation assumes nature is self-acting, that God did not employ the forces of nature to ensure it behaved the way it did without exceeding His established limits, that God simply stood aside and let nature do its thing.

And we might perhaps even include this one...though it was not quoted in my earlier post on this as the quote above was.
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
God can employ the forces of nature to destroy sinners without incurring guilt or condemnation. We cannot.

Those are the quotes which, as Mike has said, are substantiated in the SOP.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Green Cochoa] #119951
09/30/09 01:22 AM
09/30/09 01:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok, I see what happened. I didn't comment on this statement of MM's, but kland did. You commented on his comment of MM's comment. Regarding nature's not being self-acting, I first brought that quote to MM's attention. Pretty funny.

There's actually two different quotes involved. One speaks of nature's not being self-acting, and that deals with God's maintaining nature. I've pointed out that if God were to be caused to withdraw from His maintaining work, that it was likely that bad things would result. God needs to directly act to have nature act as it does (e.g., keep the earth's orbit in line). So the idea I was sharing was that God directly acts to keep nature in line.

Ok, given that, if God is caused to release His control, and bad things happen, God could be said to be employing the forces of nature for destruction. This would be in harmony with His character, and with how He is presented in Scripture (as doing that which He permits). Similarly, at times it is Satan who is causing the destruction, and God permits that. God is also presented as doing that which He permits Satan to do.

By the way, the early Christians viewed that the destruction that came by way of natural disasters was caused by Satan. That is, this was their world view.

At any rate, the "self-acting" passage in "The Ministry of Healing" say nothing of God's employing nature for destruction, so the concept of "self-acting" she shares was not in that context (i.e., she wasn't arguing, as MM did, that saying that if God did not directly cause natural disasters, that would imply that nature is self-acting).

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #119975
09/30/09 02:32 PM
09/30/09 02:32 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Ok, given that, if God is caused to release His control, and bad things happen, God could be said to be employing the forces of nature for destruction. This would be in harmony with His character, and with how He is presented in Scripture (as doing that which He permits). Similarly, at times it is Satan who is causing the destruction, and God permits that. God is also presented as doing that which He permits Satan to do.

Thanks for helping me understand that. I guess that is like the, Who killed Saul, question.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: kland] #119976
09/30/09 03:14 PM
09/30/09 03:14 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland

Thanks for helping me understand that. I guess that is like the, Who killed Saul, question.

I guess the thing I find wrong with the thought that nature somehow acts on its own is the fact that God governs nature.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Upon all created things is seen the impress of the Deity. Nature testifies of God. The susceptible mind, brought in contact with the miracle and mystery of the universe, cannot but recognize the working of infinite power. Not by its own inherent energy does the earth produce its bounties, and year by year continue its motion around the sun. An unseen hand guides the planets in their circuit of the heavens. A mysterious life pervades all nature--a life that sustains the unnumbered worlds throughout immensity, that lives in the insect atom which floats in the summer breeze, that wings the flight of the swallow and feeds the young ravens which cry, that brings the bud to blossom and the flower to fruit. {Ed 99.1}
The same power that upholds nature, is working also in man. The same great laws that guide alike the star and the atom control human life. The laws that govern the heart's action, regulating the flow of the current of life to the body, are the laws of the mighty Intelligence that has the jurisdiction of the soul. From Him all life proceeds. Only in harmony with Him can be found its true sphere of action. For all the objects of His creation the condition is the same--a life sustained by receiving the life of God, a life exercised in harmony with the Creator's will. To transgress His law, physical, mental, or moral, is to place one's self out of harmony with the universe, to introduce discord, anarchy, ruin. {Ed 99.2}

God is in control, just as much as a man is in control of the computer of his creation. The computer does not act on its own, but does what it was programmed to do. God is behind and supports all the realm of nature by His own power. Computers do not think. They do not choose for themselves. They merely follow, thoughtlessly, the code they have been given. Without electricity, they cannot even do this. Likewise, nature does not think. It has no power of choice. It merely follows the Creator's instructions. Without His power, it would also cease to function.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Green Cochoa] #119979
09/30/09 05:28 PM
09/30/09 05:28 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
I guess the thing I find wrong with the thought that nature somehow acts on its own is the fact that God governs nature.
It was my understanding that Tom was trying to say Ellen White was not arguing that nature is self-acting.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: kland] #119991
10/01/09 03:22 AM
10/01/09 03:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Nature includes beings who have the ability to think and act on their own, so that's quite unike a computer.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Tom] #119998
10/01/09 05:40 AM
10/01/09 05:40 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Nature includes beings who have the ability to think and act on their own, so that's quite unike a computer.

Except for the fact that computers are also "teachable" to a degree, by being able to change course dependent upon the data coming in.

As it turns out, we who create computers may not always expect the results we get from them. But God, who created nature, always knows in advance what will happen--including what free moral agents will choose!

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Wrath of God,The Wrath of Satan, the The Wrath of Man [Re: Green Cochoa] #119999
10/01/09 06:38 AM
10/01/09 06:38 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Nature is suffering from "the wrath of man".

All the pollution being pumped into the air and water, the chemicals being sprayed on fields, food and everywhere! The engineering of foods and filling them with a whole list of chemicals (just read the labels on some things!)

Geoengineers talk about things like sulfate injections into the air, iron fertilization, cloud seeding, increasing the amount of sulfates in the Earth's atmosphere, artificial ionization of earth’s atmosphere. Then there's genetic manipulation and engineering. Mixing the genes of plants and animals and even humans! And also cutting down the natural air filters of the world (forests)

They are even developing a contraceptive vaccine that aims to control populations of wild animals, such as rabbits and foxes. This is an immuno-contraceptive vaccine which causes an animal's immune system to produce antibodies that act against some essential event or structure in the reproductive process.

Quote:
"Environmental warfare is defined as the intentional modification or manipulation of the natural ecology, such as climate and weather, earth systems such as the ionosphere, magnetosphere, tectonic plate system, and/or the triggering of seismic events (earthquakes) to cause intentional physical, economic, and psycho-social, and physical destruction to an intended target geophysical or population location, as part of strategic or tactical war." (Eco News)

God created a perfect world
but who made it so imperfect?

Who is the "he" in the quote below......and who is doing "his" work?

"he will bring disease and disaster, until populous cities are reduced to ruin and desolation. Even now he is at work. In accidents and calamities by sea and by land, in great conflagrations, in fierce tornadoes and terrific hailstorms, in tempests, floods, cyclones, tidal waves, and earthquakes, in every place and in a thousand forms, Satan is exercising his power. He sweeps away the ripening harvest, and famine and distress follow. He imparts to the air a deadly taint, and thousands perish by the pestilence. These visitations are to become more and more frequent and disastrous. Destruction will be upon both man and beast." {CH 461.1}

A lot of the troubles in this world are the result of
CAUSE AND EFFECT

Mankind breaks the natural laws of health
Mankind upsets the laws of nature
and of course the moral laws as well --
the result is pretty disastorous.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!