HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 105 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119839
09/27/09 11:50 PM
09/27/09 11:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:That Jesus Christ, in the flesh, revealed all that man can know of God does not mean that nothing could be known of God before Christ came, but rather that there is nothing which can be known of God which He did not reveal when He came.

GC:This is simply false. Let me be clear: Jesus did NOT reveal all that man can know about the Father during 33 years of "life in the flesh." Nor does Ellen White say so.

Yes, she does.

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son.

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18.

Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He was in all things made like unto His brethren. He became flesh, even as we are. He was hungry and thirsty and weary. He was sustained by food and refreshed by sleep. He shared the lot of men, and yet He was the blameless Son of God. He was a stranger and sojourner on the earth--in the world, but not of the world; tempted and tried as men and women today are tempted and tried, yet living a life free from sin. (8T 216)

She even quoted the same Scripture I mentioned. Jesus Christ came for the purpose of revealing the Father. She says this was the "whole purpose" of His earthly mission. Here she says that all that man can know of God, or needs to know, was revealed in the life and teachings of His Son. She quotes John 1:18, which makes the same point, that Christ came to reveal the Father, and she goes on to say that Christ took our humanity, that He became flesh, and so forth. When she says that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son, she's clearly speaking of when He became flesh.

Quote:
GC:"All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in His Word and in the life of His Son, the great Teacher." {6BC 1079.9}

I believe the above statement includes the conjunction "AND," referring to the entire history of God's interaction with mankind, while you seem to believe it refers only to Jesus' 33-year life. We differ.

Sure, this statement does include a conjunction. But the other one doesn't. For the other one to be true, it must be the case that all that one can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son. It doesn't matter that another statement says that all that man can know of God was revealed by this and something else. Of course that's the case. It would have to be.

For example, let's say I wrote, "All that man needs to know of X was written by Y." Let's say I also write, "All that man needs to know of X was written by Y and Z." Can both of these statements be true? Of course. If the first one is true, the second one, of necessity, must be true.

GC, I wish to make clear the 8T 216 statement is not the only statement that makes this point. For example, this is from ST 1/20/90:

Quote:
The very attributes that belonged to the character of Satan, the evil one represented as belonging to the character of God. Jesus came to teach men of the Father, to correctly represent him before the fallen children of earth. Angels could not fully portray the character of God, but Christ, who was a living impersonation of God, could not fail to accomplish the work. The only way in which he could set and keep men right was to make himself visible and familiar to their eyes. That men might have salvation he came directly to man, and became a partaker of his nature....

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. In Christ was arrayed before men the paternal grace and the matchless perfections of the Father. In his prayer just before his crucifixion, he declared, "I have manifested thy name." "I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do." When the object of his mission was attained,--the revelation of God to the world,--the Son of God announced that his work was accomplished, and that the character of the Father was made manifest to men.

This brings out that the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission on earth was the revelation of God's character.

Here's another statement that discusses this theme:

Quote:
He (Lucifer) sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world.

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 21, 22)

This is again referencing John 1:18. The point is made that it was necessary for Christ to manifest God's character, to counteract the work that Satan had done. This work only one being could do. That she says this means this was a work that needed to be done!

By considering the above statements, we see not only that Christ did fully reveal God's character, but that it was necessary that He do so.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119842
09/28/09 12:59 AM
09/28/09 12:59 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

I think you are being too dogmatic about this. God walked with Abraham, talked with Abraham, ate with Abraham, allowed Abraham to bargain with Him; and Abraham is called "the friend of God." If no man has seen God at any time, which I believe is true of the Father and of the full Divine glory (which Jesus veiled in Himself while on earth), it can only be that "God" in the story refers to Jesus. Do you agree?

Were not the Jews the children of Abraham? Or do you think the Jews were not children of Abraham?

The statements you just quoted about "Christ's whole purpose" do not indicate that it was also the sole time in which He was revealed to mankind. Was He not also the One who spoke with the patriarchs? Did He not reveal anything at all to them?

When you say "whole" and then mean "fraction" it doesn't add up.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119844
09/28/09 02:00 AM
09/28/09 02:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, yes, the unfallen and the redeemed will praise God for ending the GC the way it is described in the GC. And, no, I do not believe the radiant firelight of God's glory and presence is like the jets of light on Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Also, what effect do you think the presence of God will play in the agony the wicked experience at the end of time?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #119849
09/28/09 03:50 AM
09/28/09 03:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:Tom, yes, the unfallen and the redeemed will praise God for ending the GC the way it is described in the GC.

This is a bit vague. Let's consider the actual quote:

Quote:
T:When the wicked are resurrected, God will cast them into a lake of fire, something like molten lava, which He will keep them supernaturally alive to suffer by being scalded, or boiled, until they pay by physical suffering for each sin they have committed. The righteous who witness this will be rejoice to see this happen, even when it involves their children or other loved ones. Holy angels who witness the suffering of the wicked will rejoice. God will rejoice in the suffering of our loved ones.

MM - Correct.

This was a couple of years ago. I think you may have altered your view some from when this was written. Is that right?

Quote:
MM:And, no, I do not believe the radiant firelight of God's glory and presence is like the jets of light on Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Ok. Previously you indicated you were favorable to this analogy. But if you say this doesn't reflect your view, I won't use it to describe it.

Quote:
MM:Also, what effect do you think the presence of God will play in the agony the wicked experience at the end of time?

This if from "The Desire of Ages"

Quote:
God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire.(page 764)

Also, from GC 542-543:

Quote:
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire.

I think these quotes bring out the answer to your question, especially the second one.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119850
09/28/09 04:06 AM
09/28/09 04:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:I think you are being too dogmatic about this. God walked with Abraham, talked with Abraham, ate with Abraham, allowed Abraham to bargain with Him; and Abraham is called "the friend of God." If no man has seen God at any time, which I believe is true of the Father and of the full Divine glory (which Jesus veiled in Himself while on earth), it can only be that "God" in the story refers to Jesus. Do you agree?

Yes, I believe Christ led the Israelites in the wilderness.

Quote:
Were not the Jews the children of Abraham? Or do you think the Jews were not children of Abraham?

What? Do I think the Jews were not the children of Abraham? Why would you ask this?

Quote:
The statements you just quoted about "Christ's whole purpose" do not indicate that it was also the sole time in which He was revealed to mankind.

The fact that all that man can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ while here in the flesh does not imply God was never revealed at any other time. This is obviously faulty reasoning.

For example, let's say someone writes a book on the Apollo missions, which reveals all that can be known of them. This doesn't mean before the book was written there wasn't anything known of the Apollo missions.

Quote:
Was He not also the One who spoke with the patriarchs? Did He not reveal anything at all to them?

This isn't relevant to the point, which is that Jesus Christ, while here in the flesh, revealed all that can be known of God. This doesn't imply that things which can be known of God weren't revealed previously, or might be revealed afterward, but means that anything which was revealed previously (or might be revealed afterward) was revealed by Christ while here with us in the flesh. This is simply logic.

Quote:

I didn't say it ("whole purpose"). I referred to it, which is why I put it in quotes. That the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God is taken from ST 1/20/90.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119852
09/28/09 05:08 AM
09/28/09 05:08 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Yes, I believe Christ led the Israelites in the wilderness.

And was Christ alive?
Quote:

What? Do I think the Jews were not the children of Abraham? Why would you ask this?

A yes or no answer would be simple enough.

Quote:
The statements you just quoted about "Christ's whole purpose" do not indicate that it was also the sole time in which He was revealed to mankind.

The fact that all that man can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ while here in the flesh does not imply God was never revealed at any other time. This is obviously faulty reasoning.

I'll speak to this issue once again in a soon-coming post.
Quote:
Was He not also the One who spoke with the patriarchs? Did He not reveal anything at all to them?

This isn't relevant to the point, which is that Jesus Christ, while here in the flesh, revealed all that can be known of God. This doesn't imply that things which can be known of God weren't revealed previously, or might be revealed afterward, but means that anything which was revealed previously (or might be revealed afterward) was revealed by Christ while here with us in the flesh. This is simply logic.

Again, I'll address this one once again in a soon-coming post.
Quote:

I didn't say it ("whole purpose"). I referred to it, which is why I put it in quotes. That the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God is taken from ST 1/20/90

I have no issue with Christ's whole purpose during His "life in the flesh". I am taking an issue with the converse of this, which is to say it was NOT His purpose at any prior time. That is the fallacious logic I am objecting to.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119864
09/28/09 02:22 PM
09/28/09 02:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
This was a couple of years ago. I think you may have altered your view some from when this was written. Is that right?

They praise the justice and judgment of God, which involves resurrected sinners suffering in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness. What is not clear to me is why you think they are physically able to suffer emotional agony for millions of sins, one at a time, without dying after revisiting the first sin. This is crucial to an understanding of your view of the punishment of the wicked. So far you haven't explained what you believe about this particular aspect of judgment. It would be helpful if you did.

Quote:
M: Also, what effect do you think the presence of God will play in the agony the wicked experience at the end of time?

T: "His very presence is to them a consuming fire." "A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire."

Why do you think the presence of God will cause the wicked to experience agony? How will it cause them to feel agony? And, what will be the end result of their agony? Do you think it is a comprehension of His character that will cause them to suffer and die?

What do you think the inevitable result of sin is? I got the impression you think it is emotional agony ending in death. But now I'm not so sure. Please explain your position clearly, that is, don't post a quote and expect me to know what you think it means. Your interpretation of quotes is often radically different than how I read it. State your view plainly in your own words.

For example, I believe the inevitable result of sin is capital punishment. God will inflict punishment according to their words and works. They will suffer mental and physical agony in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness. They will die the moment they pay for their final sin. Please state your position as clearly as I have. Thank you.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #119897
09/29/09 01:30 AM
09/29/09 01:30 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Yes, I believe Christ led the Israelites in the wilderness.

GC:And was Christ alive?

Not in humanity, so no, not in the sense the statement "All that man needs to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son."

Quote:
GC:Were not the Jews the children of Abraham? Or do you think the Jews were not children of Abraham?

T:What? Do I think the Jews were not the children of Abraham? Why would you ask this?

GC:A yes or no answer would be simple enough.

This is a rhetorical question. Just go ahead and make your point please.

Quote:
GC:The statements you just quoted about "Christ's whole purpose" do not indicate that it was also the sole time in which He was revealed to mankind.

They reveal that the whole purpose of His earthly mission, which is the same period of time that the other quote is speaking of, was the revelation of God.

Quote:
T:The fact that all that man can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ while here in the flesh does not imply God was never revealed at any other time. This is obviously faulty reasoning.

GC:I'll speak to this issue once again in a soon-coming post.

Ok. I'll just reiterate the point, then, that the fact that all that we can know of God was revealed by Christ in His humanity does not imply that there are things man can know of God which were revealed in other places. However, it does mean that anything that was revealed elsewhere can be found in Christ's revelation while here in the flesh. This is sound reasoning.

Quote:
GC:Was He not also the One who spoke with the patriarchs?

Not in His humanity.

Quote:
Did He not reveal anything at all to them?

Not in His humanity.

Quote:
GC:When you say "whole" and then mean "fraction" it doesn't add up.

T:I didn't say it ("whole purpose"). I referred to it, which is why I put it in quotes. That the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God is taken from ST 1/20/90

GC:I have no issue with Christ's whole purpose during His "life in the flesh". I am taking an issue with the converse of this, which is to say it was NOT His purpose at any prior time. That is the fallacious logic I am objecting to.

But this fallacious logic was never set forth (at least by me). So why object to it?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119898
09/29/09 02:24 AM
09/29/09 02:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:This was a couple of years ago. I think you may have altered your view some from when this was written. Is that right?

M:They praise the justice and judgment of God, which involves resurrected sinners suffering in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness. What is not clear to me is why you think they are physically able to suffer emotional agony for millions of sins, one at a time, without dying after revisiting the first sin.

I'll go ahead and respond to your questions, but you didn't answer my question. Does the quote I presented of our conversation accurately represent your current view? If it does, I'll keep presenting it. If not, please let me know, so I won't present it as a current view of yours.

It's not clear to me why you think I think this.

Quote:
This is crucial to an understanding of your view of the punishment of the wicked. So far you haven't explained what you believe about this particular aspect of judgment. It would be helpful if you did.

I don't believe your characterization here. I've written out what I believe.

M: Also, what effect do you think the presence of God will play in the agony the wicked experience at the end of time?

T: "His very presence is to them a consuming fire." "A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire."

Quote:
M:Why do you think the presence of God will cause the wicked to experience agony? How will it cause them to feel agony? And, what will be the end result of their agony? Do you think it is a comprehension of His character that will cause them to suffer and die?

Here is a passage which speaks to your questions:

Quote:
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 542-543)

Quote:
What do you think the inevitable result of sin is?

I've cited the following many times:

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.(DA 764)

The inevitable result of sin is death.

Quote:
I got the impression you think it is emotional agony ending in death.

What I've said is that the inevitable result of sin is death.

Quote:
But now I'm not so sure. Please explain your position clearly, that is, don't post a quote and expect me to know what you think it means.

Sin is based on the principle of selfishness, as opposed to the law of life for the universe, which is self-sacrificing love. It couldn't possibly lead to anything but death. It doesn't require God's setting people on fire to destroy them. The wicked will die as a result of their own choice.

Quote:
Your interpretation of quotes is often radically different than how I read it. State your view plainly in your own words.

I really don't see how DA 764 can be misunderstood. The only possible part I see that can be misunderstood is what "arbitrary" means. If one goes with the common idea of the word, without reading the context, one might misunderstand its meaning, but I don't see any room for misunderstanding in the rest of the passage.

Quote:
The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

I'm not seeing where there would be room for misunderstanding here. For example, "but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin." This means that death comes as the inevitable result of sin, but had God left Satan to reap the full result of his sin right away, this wouldn't have been apparently to the onlooking angels.

Let me try expressing things another way. Given the principle upon which sin is founded, How could sin NOT lead to death?

Quote:
For example, I believe the inevitable result of sin is capital punishment.

This certainly can't be true. Just plug in "capital punishment" in for "reap the full result of their sin" and you can see it doesn't make sense.

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to killed by capital punishment, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.

This doesn't make any sense. For the quote to make sense, sin has to result in a death that can be misinterpreted as something else. God's killing someone would be understood for exactly what it is.

Quote:
God will inflict punishment according to their words and works.

The wicked receive the results of their own choice. It's not something arbitrarily inflicted by God.

Quote:
They will suffer mental and physical agony in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness.

This is true! This is because sin causes suffering; the more sin, the more suffering.

Quote:
They will die the moment they pay for their final sin.

You talk as if this were some sort of transaction. Do this wrong, and this is equivalent to X units of pain. Do this thing, and it's equivalent to Y. So God inflicts X units of pain if you do the first thing, Y units for the second, and so forth. This idea of God must be very harmful to one's own psyche.

Some people can't feel physical pain. Do you think God will supernaturally cure them, so they can feel physical pain, to "pay" for their sin? Where did you ever get the idea that sin is something that can be paid for by pain? That sounds utterly pagan. Where is there anything in Scripture which suggests such a thing? There is much in Scripture which speaks of sin *causing* pain, but nothing suggesting that one "pays" for sin by having pain inflicted on one's person.

Quote:
Please state your position as clearly as I have. Thank you.

I believe that sin ruins one's character, to the extent that merely being in God's presence is unpleasant (like a consuming fire). We see some explanation of this by even righteous beings in Scripture (e.g. Isaiah "I was undone"; Daniel/John "I fell as a dead man"), so it's not surprising that an unrighteous person couldn't stand it. The revelation of God's character of necessity makes clear our own. Without the bathing grace of Christ, this is impossible for us to bear. If we had to bear the burden of our own guilt, it would crush us. Those who reject Christ choose to do this very thing, and are not able to bear it.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119906
09/29/09 11:53 AM
09/29/09 11:53 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

I <had> some material ready to post (my "soon-coming post") but the power went out, and I lost it all...so it may not be so soon-coming as I had planned. smile

Regarding the "rhetorical question," let's make it a real question, shall we?

Were the Jews the children of Abraham?

There's a real reason that I ask this question, so it was not intended to be rhetorical.

Quote:
T:Yes, I believe Christ led the Israelites in the wilderness.

GC:And was Christ alive?

T:Not in humanity, so no, not in the sense the statement "All that man needs to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son."

So you mean to say that "the life and character" of Jesus lasted only 33 years? He was not "alive" before this?

Quote:
Quote:
GC:The statements you just quoted about "Christ's whole purpose" do not indicate that it was also the sole time in which He was revealed to mankind.

T:They reveal that the whole purpose of His earthly mission, which is the same period of time that the other quote is speaking of, was the revelation of God.

T:The fact that all that man can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ while here in the flesh does not imply God was never revealed at any other time. This is obviously faulty reasoning.

GC:I'll speak to this issue once again in a soon-coming post.

T:Ok. I'll just reiterate the point, then, that the fact that all that we can know of God was revealed by Christ in His humanity does not imply that there are things man can know of God which were revealed in other places. However, it does mean that anything that was revealed elsewhere can be found in Christ's revelation while here in the flesh. This is sound reasoning.

GC:Was He not also the One who spoke with the patriarchs?

T:Not in His humanity.

GC:Did He not reveal anything at all to them?

T:Not in His humanity.

GC:When you say "whole" and then mean "fraction" it doesn't add up.

T:I didn't say it ("whole purpose"). I referred to it, which is why I put it in quotes. That the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God is taken from ST 1/20/90

GC:I have no issue with Christ's whole purpose during His "life in the flesh". I am taking an issue with the converse of this, which is to say it was NOT His purpose at any prior time. That is the fallacious logic I am objecting to.

T:But this fallacious logic was never set forth (at least by me). So why object to it?

You have made the point very clear here that you only believe Mrs. White was referring to Jesus' life in the flesh. However, do you have some statement to that effect? Where does she say this?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 16 of 105 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!