HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 105 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119994
10/01/09 04:05 AM
10/01/09 04:05 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I can say that since Mrs. White said "Jesus denied that the Jews were children of Abraham," then that means that the Jews are not descendants of Abraham. Or, I could apply this in the spiritual sense and say that none of the Jews were children of God!

That would be applying EGW's words more vehemently than EGW intended, making her contradict inspiration. That would be a bad thing.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #119995
10/01/09 04:53 AM
10/01/09 04:53 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: asygo
I can say that since Mrs. White said "Jesus denied that the Jews were children of Abraham," then that means that the Jews are not descendants of Abraham. Or, I could apply this in the spiritual sense and say that none of the Jews were children of God!

That would be applying EGW's words more vehemently than EGW intended, making her contradict inspiration. That would be a bad thing.
That's precisely my point, Arnold.

The same thing is happening here with a statement that "all that man can know."

I can easily counter that statement with one fell swoop, if I should stoop to the same level of "interpretation." Look here:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Jesus said: "This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent." All that was done and said had this one object in view--to rivet truth in their minds that they might attain unto everlasting life. Jesus did not come to astonish men with some great announcement of some special time when some great event would occur, but He came to instruct and save the lost. He did not come to arouse and gratify curiosity; for He knew that this would but increase the appetite for the curious and the marvelous. It was His aim to impart knowledge whereby men might increase in spiritual strength and advance in the way of obedience and true holiness. He gave only such instruction as could be appropriated to the needs of their daily life, only such truth as could be given to others for the same appropriation. He did not make new revelations to men, but opened to their understanding truths that had long been obscured or misplaced through the false teaching of the priests and teachers. Jesus replaced the gems of divine truth in their proper setting, in the order in which they had been given to patriarchs and prophets. And after giving them this precious instruction. He promised to give them the Holy Spirit whereby all things that He had said unto them should be brought to their remembrance. {6BC 1052.2}

Shall I say that Jesus revealed nothing new?! smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #120027
10/02/09 12:33 AM
10/02/09 12:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent." All that was done and said had this one object in view--to rivet truth in their minds that they might attain unto everlasting life.

This is interesting. This goes along with this idea:

Quote:
The very attributes that belonged to the character of Satan, the evil one represented as belonging to the character of God. Jesus came to teach men of the Father, to correctly represent him before the fallen children of earth. Angels could not fully portray the character of God, but Christ, who was a living impersonation of God, could not fail to accomplish the work. The only way in which he could set and keep men right was to make himself visible and familiar to their eyes. That men might have salvation he came directly to man, and became a partaker of his nature....

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. In Christ was arrayed before men the paternal grace and the matchless perfections of the Father. In his prayer just before his crucifixion, he declared, "I have manifested thy name." "I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do." When the object of his mission was attained,--the revelation of God to the world,--the Son of God announced that his work was accomplished, and that the character of the Father was made manifest to men.(ST 1/20/90)

The object Christ had in view was the revelation of His Father, that men might be set right and kept right with God.

Even if it were true that Christ revealed nothing new, it would still be the case that all that man can know was revealed in the life and character of His Son in the flesh.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #120028
10/02/09 12:51 AM
10/02/09 12:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Tom
Did Jesus, in His humanity, ever "reveal reality to the wicked" in a way that "cause[d] them suffering" such as what you describe? Since you are saying this is what God will do, can you cite an example when Jesus did this in His humanity?

First of all, the point isn't that Christ did everything that God has done, or will do, but that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Christ in His humanity. This is what was second.

Secondly, in response to your question here, the cleansing of the temple comes immediately to mind. It seems to speak of similar principles, the wicked becoming aware of their sins because of a look of Christ, divinity flashing through humanity, their not being able to abide His presence because only the pure of heart could, etc.

How do you know God is going to do what you say He is going to do? When Jesus cleansed the temple, nobody experienced mental anguish to the point of eternal death, as you say will happen at the end. They ran away, but they came back, with their hearts still as impure as before. If the cleansing of the temple is your prototype, there will be no eternal death caused by mental anguish - they will just run away, then return after a while.

How did you find out that God will do what you say He will, when Jesus never did that in His life? In your example, He just revealed enough reality to make the bad guys run away for a little bit, but not eternal death, not even the first death.

Do you have another example that can better support your thesis?

What is it you think I'm saying God will do?

This whole discussion seems rather moot.

Quote:
God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith. His existence, His character, the truthfulness of His word, are all established by testimony that appeals to our reason; and this testimony is abundant. Yet God has never removed the possibility of doubt. Our faith must rest upon evidence, not demonstration. Those who wish to doubt will have opportunity; while those who really desire to know the truth will find plenty of evidence on which to rest their faith.(SC 105)

When I read from the SOP that all that man can know of God was revealed by His Son, it changed my life. I realized that I had given lip service to the concept that God is like His Son Jesus Christ, that I didn't really seem them as the same, that in my mind were unconscious differences which my conscious mind had not recognized.

I believe the statement (that all that man can know or needs to know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son) as it reads. The context is clearly speaking of Christ's humanity. If one wishes to doubt the statement, there's always some other way to interpret a statement like this.

Again, as I stated above, "the point isn't that Christ did everything that God has done, or will do, but that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Christ in His humanity."

I see in "The Desire of Ages" pages 107, 108, the answer to the question that was asked in regards to the death of the wicked. I see a similar principle in play in the cleansing of the temple.

Again, I see evidence that the SOP statement is true, an one would ordinarily read such a statement, but I don't see the point in trying to prove it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #120029
10/02/09 01:03 AM
10/02/09 01:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I hold the view that all that man can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ.

A:I think we all hold that view. The difference is that you believe the time frame for the "revealed by Jesus Christ" is limited to the 33 years He spent walking in sandals, while there are those of us who believe He has been revealing God for thousands of years.

This is fairly representing the difference. Here's the statement:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18.Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He was in all things made like unto His brethren. He became flesh, even as we are. (8T 216)

There's no doubt this is speaking of Christ's humanity. Anyone can see that.

Where we differ is that I believe that Christ, in His humanity, revealed all that man needs to know, or can know, of God, and you don't.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120032
10/02/09 01:09 AM
10/02/09 01:09 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

If you choose to believe that "all that man can know" was revealed by Jesus, AND that "He did not make new revelations to men," then it necessarily follows that "all that man can know" is contained in the Old Testament scriptures.

This is why I do not think it is quite fair of you to sidestep the Old Testament stories and keep saying we should be focused on Christ's life instead. It appears that Christ Himself cast the focus behind, to what had already been revealed.

Originally Posted By: Christ
If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. (Luke 16:31, KJV)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120035
10/02/09 02:50 AM
10/02/09 02:50 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Where we differ is that I believe that Christ, in His humanity, revealed all that man needs to know, or can know, of God, and you don't.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I allow for the possibility that Jesus revealed things about God in His pre-incarnate days that He did not replicate during His 33 years here. You don't allow for that. Right?

But there is something else that differentiates our views. Even if Jesus did reveal everything we can know about God during His 33 years here, I allow for the possibility that I might not know about everything that He did during His 33 years here. And more importantly, I might not understand everything that He did during His 33 years here. Therefore, I consider the 4,000 years of inspired revelation that He gave about Himself before His incarnation as a valuable resource in understanding what He did during His incarnation.

In contrast, you seem willing to discount clear passages of Scripture and SOP that seem to contradict your understanding of what He did during His 33 years here. I do not trust my understanding that much; I would rather trust a "Thus saith the Lord," even if He didn't say it while wearing sandals.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #120036
10/02/09 02:54 AM
10/02/09 02:54 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
If you choose to believe that "all that man can know" was revealed by Jesus, AND that "He did not make new revelations to men," then it necessarily follows that "all that man can know" is contained in the Old Testament scriptures.

That is a sound argument.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #120041
10/02/09 05:59 PM
10/02/09 05:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: This was a couple of years ago. I think you may have altered your view some from when this was written. Is that right?

M: They praise the justice and judgment of God, which involves resurrected sinners suffering in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness.

T: I'll go ahead and respond to your questions, but you didn't answer my question. Does the quote I presented of our conversation accurately represent your current view? If it does, I'll keep presenting it. If not, please let me know, so I won't present it as a current view of yours.

No, I do not believe what you posted. I believe God will rain down fire from above and raise up fire from below. The wicked will suffer in this environment.

Quote:
M: What is not clear to me is why you think they are physically able to suffer emotional agony for millions of sins, one at a time, without dying after revisiting the first sin. This is crucial to an understanding of your view of the punishment of the wicked. So far you haven't explained what you believe about this particular aspect of judgment. It would be helpful if you did.

T: It's not clear to me why you think I think this. I don't believe your characterization here. I've written out what I believe.

Nothing you have written so far (please repost it if I’ve missed it) explains why you think the wicked are physically able to suffer emotional agony for millions of sins, one at a time, without dying after revisiting the first sin. Also, which aspects of this statement do you disagree with and why?

Quote:
M: Also, what effect do you think the presence of God will play in the agony the wicked experience at the end of time?

T: "His very presence is to them a consuming fire." "A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire."

M: Why do you think the presence of God will cause the wicked to experience agony? How will it cause them to feel agony? And, what will be the end result of their agony? Do you think it is a comprehension of His character that will cause them to suffer and die?

T: Here is a passage which speaks to your questions:

Reposting the same quote wasn’t helpful, Tom. I understand the who (God) and the what (the consuming fire of His glory and presence); what I don’t understand is the how and the why. That is, why do you think His presence will cause the wicked to suffer? And, how does His presence cause them to suffer?

Do you think it is a comprehension of His character that will cause them to suffer and die? If so, how and why?

Quote:
M: What do you think the inevitable result of sin is?

T: I've cited the following many times: “At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.(DA 764)

The inevitable result of sin is death.

I’m talking about the suffering that precedes death. As you know, death is the end of the results of sin. It is relief from the results of sin.

Quote:
M: I got the impression you think it is emotional agony ending in death. But now I'm not so sure. Please explain your position clearly, that is, don't post a quote and expect me to know what you think it means.

T: Sin is based on the principle of selfishness, as opposed to the law of life for the universe, which is self-sacrificing love. It couldn't possibly lead to anything but death. It doesn't require God's setting people on fire to destroy them. The wicked will die as a result of their own choice.

Do you think the wicked will experience emotional anguish as they revisit each sin during judgment? If so, why do you think they are capable of experiencing emotional anguish as they revisit each sin? Also, do you think they will eventually die of emotional anguish? If so, why do you think they are physically able to survive revisiting their first few sins? Why do you think they are able to endure revisiting millions of sins without dying? Do you think God does something supernatural to keep them alive? If not, why are they able to endure such unimaginable emotional agony without dying prematurely (before they revisit all their sins)?

Quote:
M: Your interpretation of quotes is often radically different than how I read it. State your view plainly in your own words.

T: I really don't see how DA 764 can be misunderstood. The only possible part I see that can be misunderstood is what "arbitrary" means. If one goes with the common idea of the word, without reading the context, one might misunderstand its meaning, but I don't see any room for misunderstanding in the rest of the passage.

Quote:
The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

I'm not seeing where there would be room for misunderstanding here. For example, "but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin." This means that death comes as the inevitable result of sin, but had God left Satan to reap the full result of his sin right away, this wouldn't have been apparently to the onlooking angels. Let me try expressing things another way. Given the principle upon which sin is founded, How could sin NOT lead to death?

That sin doesn’t cause sinners to die is evident from the fact evil angels have been alive for more than 6,000 years in a sinful state. Also, humans live for many years in a sinful state without dying. Instead, they die of disease or destruction.

Why do you think evil men and angels have been able to live so long without dying? What do you think is the source of their life and their longevity? And, what do you think will change at the end when they finally die? What do you think will cause them to die? If you think sin will cause them to die, please explain why it hasn’t killed them yet. What do you think sin is waiting for? Why hasn’t it killed them yet?

Quote:
M: For example, I believe the inevitable result of sin is capital punishment.

T: This certainly can't be true. Just plug in "capital punishment" in for "reap the full result of their sin" and you can see it doesn't make sense.

Tom, you are acting as if this quote is the only place it is talked about in the SOP. Consider this one:

“The forbearance that God has exercised toward the wicked, emboldens men in transgression; but their punishment will be none the less certain and terrible for being long delayed. . . . While He does not delight in vengeance, He will execute judgment upon the transgressors of His law. He is forced to do this, to preserve the inhabitants of the earth from utter depravity and ruin. In order to save some He must cut off those who become hardened in sin. . . . And the very fact of His reluctance to execute justice testifies to the enormity of the sins that call forth His judgments and to the severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor. But while inflicting judgment, God remembered mercy. {CC 155}

Quote:
M: God will inflict punishment according to their words and works.

T: The wicked receive the results of their own choice. It's not something arbitrarily inflicted by God.

Why do you think the SOP employs the word “inflict” to describe the judgment of the wicked? For example: “God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. Who will say God will not do what He says He will do? {LDE 241.3}

“God had declared that if at that time they refused to hear His voice, He would inflict upon them fearful retribution. They did refuse to hear, and He pronounced His final judgments upon Judah, and He would visit with special wrath the man who had proudly lifted himself up against the Almighty. {PK 435.3} The lightest punishment that a merciful God could inflict upon so rebellious a people was submission to the rule of Babylon, but if they warred against this decree of servitude they were to feel the full vigor of His chastisement. {PK 443.2}

“The Lord commanded Jeremiah to stand in the court of the Lord's house and speak unto all the people of Judah who came there to worship, those things which He would give him to speak, diminishing not a word, that they might hearken and turn from their evil ways. Then God would repent of the punishment which He had purposed to inflict upon them because of their wickedness. {4T 165.2}

Quote:
M: They will suffer mental and physical agony in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness.

T: This is true! This is because sin causes suffering; the more sin, the more suffering.

Again, why doesn’t sin cause sinners to suffer in this way now?

Quote:
M: They will die the moment they pay for their final sin.

T: You talk as if this were some sort of transaction. Do this wrong, and this is equivalent to X units of pain. Do this thing, and it's equivalent to Y. So God inflicts X units of pain if you do the first thing, Y units for the second, and so forth. This idea of God must be very harmful to one's own psyche.

Some people can't feel physical pain. Do you think God will supernaturally cure them, so they can feel physical pain, to "pay" for their sin? Where did you ever get the idea that sin is something that can be paid for by pain? That sounds utterly pagan. Where is there anything in Scripture which suggests such a thing? There is much in Scripture which speaks of sin *causing* pain, but nothing suggesting that one "pays" for sin by having pain inflicted on one's person.

Again, why do you think sin doesn’t cause sinners to suffer and die now? Also, please consider the following: “Christ died because there was no other hope for the transgressor. He might try to keep God's law in the future; but the debt which he had incurred in the past remained, and the law must condemn him to death. Christ came to pay that debt for the sinner which it was impossible for him to pay for himself. Thus, through the atoning sacrifice of Christ, sinful man was granted another trial. {FW 30.1}

“We were all debtors to divine justice, but we had nothing with which to pay the debt. Then the Son of God, who pitied us, paid the price of our redemption. {CC 267.5} “He had come to take man's place, to pledge Himself in man's behalf, to pay the debt that sinners owed. {LHU 75.3} “By dying in our behalf, He gave an equivalent for our debt. Thus He removed from God all charge of lessening the guilt of sin. By virtue of My oneness with the Father, He says, My suffering and death enable Me to pay the penalty of sin. By My death a restraint is removed from His love. His grace can act with unbounded efficiency. {TMK 69.3}

Quote:
M: Please state your position as clearly as I have. Thank you.

T: I believe that sin ruins one's character, to the extent that merely being in God's presence is unpleasant (like a consuming fire). We see some explanation of this by even righteous beings in Scripture (e.g. Isaiah "I was undone"; Daniel/John "I fell as a dead man"), so it's not surprising that an unrighteous person couldn't stand it. The revelation of God's character of necessity makes clear our own. Without the bathing grace of Christ, this is impossible for us to bear. If we had to bear the burden of our own guilt, it would crush us. Those who reject Christ choose to do this very thing, and are not able to bear it.

1. Why do you think the grace of Christ prevents sinners from suffering and dying the moment they sin?
2. Do you think the grace of Christ prevents evil angels from suffering and dying? If not, what do you think prevents them from suffering and dying the moment they sin?
3. Why do you think the wicked are capable of comprehending the character of God in a way that causes them to suffer and die?
4. Why do you think Jesus’ character didn’t cause sinners to suffer and die while He was here in the flesh?
5. Do you think sinners would suffer and die without the presence of God? If so, how and why?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #120042
10/02/09 06:07 PM
10/02/09 06:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

That is a sound argument.

Ellen White wrote:

The principles of God's government and the plan of redemption must be clearly defined. The lessons of the Old Testament must be fully set before men. {DA 34.1}

In every page, whether history, or precept, or prophecy, the Old Testament Scriptures are irradiated with the glory of the Son of God. So far as it was of divine institution, the entire system of Judaism was a compacted prophecy of the gospel. To Christ "give all the prophets witness." Acts 10:43. From the promise given to Adam, down through the patriarchal line and the legal economy, heaven's glorious light made plain the footsteps of the Redeemer. Seers beheld the Star of Bethlehem, the Shiloh to come, as future things swept before them in mysterious procession. In every sacrifice Christ's death was shown. In every cloud of incense His righteousness ascended. By every jubilee trumpet His name was sounded. In the awful mystery of the holy of holies His glory dwelt. {DA 211.5}

The Old Testament Scriptures stated plainly every detail of Christ's ministry, and again and again He quoted from the prophets, and declared, "This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears." If they had honestly searched the Scriptures, bringing their theories to the test of God's word, Jesus need not have wept over their impenitence. He need not have declared, "Behold, your house is left unto you desolate." Luke 13:35. {DA 241.4}

He spoke the word of God, as He had spoken through all the prophets and teachers of the Old Testament. The whole Bible is a manifestation of Christ, and the Saviour desired to fix the faith of His followers on the word. When His visible presence should be withdrawn, the word must be their source of power. Like their Master, they were to live "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matt. 4:4. {DA 390.3}

In teaching these disciples, Jesus showed the importance of the Old Testament as a witness to His mission. Many professed Christians now discard the Old Testament, claiming that it is no longer of any use. But such is not Christ's teaching. So highly did He value it that at one time He said, "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." Luke 16:31. {DA 799.1}

It is the voice of Christ that speaks through patriarchs and prophets, from the days of Adam even to the closing scenes of time. The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New. It is the light from the prophetic past that brings out the life of Christ and the teachings of the New Testament with clearness and beauty. The miracles of Christ are a proof of His divinity; but a stronger proof that He is the world's Redeemer is found in comparing the prophecies of the Old Testament with the history of the New. {DA 799.2}

Page 18 of 105 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!