HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina), 2,103 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Re: the great controversy [Re: Tom] #119954
09/30/09 01:35 AM
09/30/09 01:35 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
As I have pointed out in the thread "The Atonement," Satan’s problem with God was directly related to the law God had made. Satan's problem was related to God as Ruler and Lawgiver, not as Father.

Re: the great controversy [Re: asygo] #119960
09/30/09 05:24 AM
09/30/09 05:24 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Did Satan misrepresent God's government because he hated God's character? Or did Satan misrepresent God's character because he hated God's government?

Well said.

There is always a principle behind a personality dispute of this nature, just like theological dispute, too. The law expresses not only the reality - which Tom wants to be representative of reality rather than establishing it, but expresses the working of reality.

Law and character are equally significant, and relegating either to second place is wrong: they are mutually inclusive. Preaching the law without mentioning its maker and giver is as bad as preaching God's character as standing above the law of heaven, on which the divine mind and character functions. While it is just the way God is, that way of God was the initiate element of Lucifer's challenge, and Lucifer's wish to be equal with God's Son was contrary to the law of God and the nature of created things. Therefore the post I'm replying to here says it very well: the latter option being the right one.

Re: the great controversy [Re: Tom] #119962
09/30/09 05:29 AM
09/30/09 05:29 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
He was envious of Christ, and hated Him. He hated God's character, because He hated Him. The same thing could be said in regards to His law (or government; that is, Satan hated God's law, or character, or government, because he hated Him.)

No, Tom: you fail to combine God's character and law as inseparable and yet distinct truths. He challenged God's law, and when that failed, he maligned his character for the sake of overthrowing his law and government: it's principle and reality working together, not one or the other. Your purely logical explanation shows you need plenty more than pure logic, so you miss the whole picture.

Re: the great controversy [Re: asygo] #119963
09/30/09 05:49 AM
09/30/09 05:49 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Originally Posted By: asygo
Did Satan misrepresent God's government because he hated God's character? Or did Satan misrepresent God's character because he hated God's government?

Yes, well posed Arnold.

"And I saw that when GOD said to his SON, Let us make man in our image, Satan was jealous of JESUS...

Until this time all heaven was in order, harmony and perfect subjection to the government of GOD...

It was the highest sin to rebel against the order and will of GOD."

Spiritual Gifts Vol. 1, opening page. Caps in original.
______

Re: the great controversy [Re: gordonb1] #119964
09/30/09 06:16 AM
09/30/09 06:16 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Gordon,

You may have an older EGW search which puts your search terms in caps. Those caps are not in the original. Here's a copy/paste from the EGW 2008 CD.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Chapter I. - The Fall of Satan.

The Lord has shown me that Satan was once an honored angel in heaven, next to Jesus Christ. His countenance was mild, expressive of happiness like the other angels. His forehead was high and broad, and showed great intelligence. His form was perfect. He had a noble, majestic bearing. And I saw that when God said to his Son, Let us make man in our image, Satan was jealous of Jesus. He wished to be consulted concerning the formation of man. He was filled with envy, jealousy and hatred. He wished to be the highest in heaven, next to God, and receive the highest honors. Until this time all heaven was in order, harmony and perfect subjection to the government of God. {1SG 17.1}
It was the highest sin to rebel against the order and will of God. All heaven seemed in commotion. The angels were marshaled in companies with a commanding angel at their head. All the angels were astir. Satan was insinuating against the government of God, ambitious to exalt himself, and unwilling to submit
to the authority of Jesus. Some of the angels sympathized with Satan in his rebellion, and others strongly contended for the honor and wisdom of God in giving authority to his Son. And there was contention with the angels. Satan and his affected ones, who were striving to reform the government of God, wished to look into his unsearchable wisdom to ascertain his purpose in exalting Jesus, and endowing him with such unlimited power and command. They rebelled against the authority of the Son of God, and all the angels were summoned to appear before the Father, to have their cases decided. And it was decided that Satan should be expelled from heaven, and that the angels, all who joined with Satan in the rebellion, should be turned out with him. Then there was war in heaven. Angels were engaged in the battle; Satan wished to conquer the Son of God, and those who were submissive to his will. But the good and true angels prevailed, and Satan, with his followers, was driven from heaven. {1SG 17.2}

The key here is why was Lucifer jealous? "He wished to be consulted concerning the formation of man," she says. There are additional clarifying statements from her pen that indicate why he was not consulted--because only the Godhead were permitted to commune in their special councils, such as the planning for earth's creation. The law forbade any created being from entering this council, and Lucifer was a created being.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: the great controversy [Re: Green Cochoa] #119987
10/01/09 02:36 AM
10/01/09 02:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
No, Tom: you fail to combine God's character and law as inseparable and yet distinct truths. He challenged God's law, and when that failed, he maligned his character for the sake of overthrowing his law and government: it's principle and reality working together, not one or the other. Your purely logical explanation shows you need plenty more than pure logic, so you miss the whole picture.

Lucifer didn't even know of the existence of the law when he started his fall.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: the great controversy [Re: Green Cochoa] #119996
10/01/09 05:19 AM
10/01/09 05:19 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Gordon,

You may have an older EGW search which puts your search terms in caps. Those caps are not in the original. Here's a copy/paste from the EGW 2008 CD.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Chapter I. - The Fall of Satan.

"And I saw that when GOD said to his SON, Let us make man in our image, Satan was jealous of JESUS...

Until this time all heaven was in order, harmony and perfect subjection to the government of GOD...

It was the highest sin to rebel against the order and will of GOD."

Spiritual Gifts Vol. 1, opening page. Caps in original.

Sorry Green, I'm a little old-fashioned.

These caps are in the book - a photofacsimile reproduction of the original 1858 Great Controversy as published by James White - an exact replica re-issued by R&H in 1945, bound in black hardcover.

The CDs don't seem very authentic, but thanks for letting me know.
______

Re: the great controversy [Re: gordonb1] #119997
10/01/09 05:32 AM
10/01/09 05:32 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: gordonb1
Sorry Green, I'm a little old-fashioned.

These caps are in the book - a photofacsimile reproduction of the original 1858 Great Controversy as published by James White - an exact replica re-issued by R&H in 1945, bound in black hardcover.

The CDs don't seem very authentic, but thanks for letting me know.

That's interesting, Gordon. I used to have a DOS-based EGW search that also put search terms in all-caps, so I have seen that phenomenon before, and had no awareness of the books you speak of. My apologies. I used to print out statements I had looked up on the search, and the printouts always came with the search words in all-caps.

I stand corrected. But now I have a question: In that book, are the names for deity always capitalized?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: the great controversy [Re: Green Cochoa] #120000
10/01/09 06:46 AM
10/01/09 06:46 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Hi Green,

Apology and correction welcomed. You've highlighted a good reason for me using books. BTW, there are numerous early volumes which have been reproduced as photofacsimiles by R&H. All hardbound black with gold lettering:

• Spiritual Gifts Vols l-ll
• Spiritual Gifts Vols lll-lV
• Spirit of Prophecy Vols 1 to 4
• Sketches from the Life of Paul

More streamlined than the current Conflict Series and most pre-dating the five man revision committee of 1883.

Further, if you're seeking a publication timeline of EGW's works (reasonably accurate), these can be found on the inside cover of the Indexes to EGW's writings - originally 3 volumes.
________

Deity capitalized? I'll give a quick eyeball:

• THE LORD
• JESUS CHRIST
• GOD
• SON
• JESUS
• SON of GOD
• LORD
• FATHER
• BELOVED (describing Christ)
• SAVIOUR
• LAMB of GOD
• MESSIAH

That's the first three chapters Green. There may be a one or two exceptions where I see Jesus spelt w/o caps, but the rest of the book seems to follow suit. Also noticed PRINCE, HOLY ONE, JUST.

On pages 83,85,86, 88, Holy Spirit was spelt thus.

There appears to be an emphasis on SON of GOD (frequently repeated) throughout the book, juxtaposed with FATHER. It demonstrates that EGW portrayed the FATHER and SON as separate persons, and taught that Christ was God's Son before man's creation and before the fall of Satan. Just as you've shown in the quotation from Spiritual Gifts.

("And I saw that when GOD said to his SON, Let us make man in our image, Satan was jealous of JESUS")

& etc.
_____

Re: the great controversy [Re: Green Cochoa] #120002
10/01/09 07:00 AM
10/01/09 07:00 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

The key here is why was Lucifer jealous? "He wished to be consulted concerning the formation of man," she says.

Don't miss the fuller context shown below. Satan wanted to take Christ's place "...next to God, and receive the highest honors..."

"He wished to be the highest in heaven, next to GOD, and receive the highest honors... Satan and his affected ones, who were striving to reform the government of GOD, wished to look into his unsearchable wisdom to ascertain his purpose in exalting JESUS, and endowing him with such unlimited power and command. They rebelled against the authority of the SON of GOD.." 1 Spiritual Gifts 17, 18.
______

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!