HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (TheophilusOne, daylily, Karen Y, dedication, Dina), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Re: the great controversy [Re: Tom] #120128
10/05/09 02:43 PM
10/05/09 02:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Satan has no problem with love.

T: I'm curious. Does anyone else agree with this?

T: Do you mean, "Satan has no problem with agape"? (i.e., the self-sacrificing love of God, as opposed to what we commonly call "love," but really isn't).

M: Satan has no problem with any form of love. In his own sick way he believes he is demonstrating the ultimate form of love by insisting God modify the law according to his dictates.

Re: the great controversy [Re: Tom] #120129
10/05/09 03:04 PM
10/05/09 03:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: Christ was willing to be lost for all eternity that we might be saved.

This is impossible. Jesus could not be lost and sinners be saved.

Quote:
T: Jesus went beyond the law in so doing.

M: What did Jesus do that is not commanded in the law?

T: Go to the cross, to mention one thing. He did so voluntarily, not under duress. Becoming a human being is another thing He did.

The law demanded the death of Jesus for God to earn the legal right to pardon and save sinners. For Jesus to refuse to pay our sin debt of death it would have proven God unloving. No, He wasn't forced to do it, but it is His nature to do so.

Quote:
M: Please is keep in mind that the law commands love.

T: It doesn't specify how this love should be manifest. The love of God wasn't fully known until Christ revealed it.

The law specifies how love should be experienced, namely, in harmony with the character of God. Also, as Rosangela pointed out, Lucifer knew the love of God fully before he sinned, before Jesus wore sandals, as Arnold so cleverly put it.

Re: the great controversy [Re: Mountain Man] #120139
10/05/09 05:55 PM
10/05/09 05:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

M:This is impossible. Jesus could not be lost and sinners be saved.

You misread what was written. What was written is correct.

Quote:

T: Go to the cross, to mention one thing. He did so voluntarily, not under duress. Becoming a human being is another thing He did.

M:The law demanded the death of Jesus for God to earn the legal right to pardon and save sinners. For Jesus to refuse to pay our sin debt of death it would have proven God unloving. No, He wasn't forced to do it, but it is His nature to do so.

That it was His nature to do so goes along with the points I've been making. However, you asked what Jesus did which is not commanded by the law, so I gave a couple of examples.

Quote:

T: It doesn't specify how this love should be manifest. The love of God wasn't fully known until Christ revealed it.

M:The law specifies how love should be experienced, namely, in harmony with the character of God.

Where?

Quote:
Also, as Rosangela pointed out, Lucifer knew the love of God fully before he sinned

So?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: the great controversy [Re: Rosangela] #120141
10/05/09 06:08 PM
10/05/09 06:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Jesus Christ proved God is love by revealing His character. Jesus went beyond the law in so doing. ... Christ was willing to be lost for all eternity that we might be saved. The law says nothing about this. Christ revealed a love which is beyond comprehension, the self-sacrificing love of God, and in so doing demonstrated that truth of John's sublime declaration that "God is agape."

R: I agree the law says nothing about forgiveness, and that the gospel revealed a dimension of God's love not revealed by the law. However, that dimension was also related to the law, because it had to do with its penalty.

T: That is it "related" to the law is irrelevant. The salient point is that Christ fully revealed the Father's character, by making manifest His self-sacrificing love.... He revealed a height and depth and length and breadth of love which cannot be comprehended, much less described by a law.

R:By no means! It is totally relevant.

The amazing thing about God's love is that He was willing to sacrifice Himself, (or His Son, depending upon which perspective you want to look at it) for our salvation. The love itself that would lead to the sacrifice is the amazing thing. That one can see some relation to the law as prompting this if one looks at it in a certain way isn't relevant.

Quote:
T:Christ went beyond what the law required, by risking His own life for our redemption.

R:I don't think this was the case.

Quote:
The awful moment had come--that moment which was to decide the destiny of the world. The fate of humanity trembled in the balance. Christ might even now refuse to drink the cup apportioned to guilty man. It was not yet too late. He might wipe the bloody sweat from His brow, and leave man to perish in his iniquity. He might say, Let the transgressor receive the penalty of his sin, and I will go back to My Father. Will the Son of God drink the bitter cup of humiliation and agony? Will the innocent suffer the consequences of the curse of sin, to save the guilty? The words fall tremblingly from the pale lips of Jesus, "O My Father, if this cup may not pass away from Me, except I drink it, Thy will be done."

Three times has He uttered that prayer. Three times has humanity shrunk from the last, crowning sacrifice. But now the history of the human race comes up before the world's Redeemer. He sees that the transgressors of the law, if left to themselves, must perish. He sees the helplessness of man. He sees the power of sin. The woes and lamentations of a doomed world rise before Him. He beholds its impending fate, and His decision is made. He will save man at any cost to Himself. He accepts His baptism of blood, that through Him perishing millions may gain everlasting life. He has left the courts of heaven, where all is purity, happiness, and glory, to save the one lost sheep, the one world that has fallen by transgression. And He will not turn from His mission. He will become the propitiation of a race that has willed to sin. His prayer now breathes only submission: "If this cup may not pass away from Me, except I drink it, Thy will be done." (DA 692, 693)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: the great controversy [Re: Tom] #120150
10/05/09 08:38 PM
10/05/09 08:38 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The amazing thing about God's love is that He was willing to sacrifice Himself, (or His Son, depending upon which perspective you want to look at it) for our salvation. The love itself that would lead to the sacrifice is the amazing thing. That one can see some relation to the law as prompting this if one looks at it in a certain way isn't relevant.

If that was the case, God could just have forgiven man by forgetting his sin, without the payment of any penalty, and Christ could have died on the cross because of the physical effects of the crucifixion, just to prove that He loved man enough to die for him. Then the cross would have nothing to do with forgiveness, just with love. Why didn't He do that? Or do you think this was what He did?

Quote:
T:Christ went beyond what the law required, by risking His own life for our redemption.
T: DA 692, 693 quoted

???
Tom, how does DA 692, 693 prove your point? If Christ had refused to drink the cup apportioned to guilty man, man couldn't have been forgiven and saved, Chirst wouldn't have done for man what the law required, and man would simply be lost. How does this prove that "Christ went beyond what the law required"?

Re: the great controversy [Re: Tom] #120156
10/05/09 10:10 PM
10/05/09 10:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

M: This is impossible. Jesus could not be lost and sinners be saved.

T: You misread what was written. What was written is correct.

In what sense do you think Jesus could be "lost" and sinners be saved?

Quote:

M: The law demanded the death of Jesus for God to earn the legal right to pardon and save sinners. For Jesus to refuse to pay our sin debt of death it would have proven God unloving. No, He wasn't forced to do it, but it is His nature to do so.

T: That it was His nature to do so goes along with the points I've been making. However, you asked what Jesus did which is not commanded by the law, so I gave a couple of examples.

The examples you gave were required by law.

Quote:

M: The law specifies how love should be experienced, namely, in harmony with the character of God.

T: Where?

Exodus
20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;
20:6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

John
14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Quote:
M: Also, as Rosangela pointed out, Lucifer knew the love of God fully before he sinned, before Jesus wore sandals, as Arnold so cleverly put it.

T: So?

You seem to think the love of God was not fully revealed until Jesus was here in the flesh. The fact is it was revealed 4,000 years earlier.

Re: the great controversy [Re: Tom] #120169
10/06/09 11:27 AM
10/06/09 11:27 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: MountainMan
Satan has no problem with love.

I'm curious. Does anyone else agree with this?

Not as a blanket statement. The "love" must have adjectives to specify which kind. There are certain kinds of so-called love which Satan promotes: self-love, infatuation, lust, love of money, love of pleasure, love of men's applause, etc. However, the true, "sweet love" is inimical to Satan's government.

However, Satan has no problem with light/truth...
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
I turned to look at the company who were still bowed before the throne; they did not know that Jesus had left it. Satan appeared to be by the throne, trying to carry on the work of God. I saw them look up to the throne, and pray, "Father, give us Thy Spirit." Satan would then breathe upon them an unholy influence; in it there was light and much power, but no sweet love, joy, and peace. Satan's object was to keep them deceived and to draw back and deceive God's children. {EW 56.1}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: the great controversy [Re: Tom] #120179
10/06/09 03:45 PM
10/06/09 03:45 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Also, as Rosangela pointed out, Lucifer knew the love of God fully before he sinned

So?

The SOP points out that Satan cannot be redeemed because he sinned in the full light of God's glory. Therefore, Satan's sin problem was not about a misunderstanding of God's love, but a rejection of God's love. Despite what Boyd says, that's the fundamental problem for us as well.

Yes, there are those who misunderstand God's love, and that's a huge problem. But rejecting God's love is what will doom them. Sin is not a lack of information, but a lack of love.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: the great controversy [Re: asygo] #120197
10/06/09 10:25 PM
10/06/09 10:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:The amazing thing about God's love is that He was willing to sacrifice Himself, (or His Son, depending upon which perspective you want to look at it) for our salvation. The love itself that would lead to the sacrifice is the amazing thing. That one can see some relation to the law as prompting this if one looks at it in a certain way isn't relevant.

R:If that was the case, God could just have forgiven man by forgetting his sin, without the payment of any penalty, and Christ could have died on the cross because of the physical effects of the crucifixion, just to prove that He loved man enough to die for him.

Christ did far more than this. He tasted the second death. He couldn't see through the portals of the tomb, meaning that, far (farissimo, in fact) beyond mere physical pain, Christ was willing to be lost for all eternity in order that we might be saved.

Quote:
R:Then the cross would have nothing to do with forgiveness, just with love. Why didn't He do that? Or do you think this was what He did?

I think Christ's death accomplished a number of things, but in regards to this specific question, I agree with what George Fifield wrote:

Quote:
The life of Christ was not the price paid to the father for our pardon; but the life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely.(God is Love)

Quote:
T: DA 692, 693 quoted

Quote:
Tom, how does DA 692, 693 prove your point? If Christ had refused to drink the cup apportioned to guilty man, man couldn't have been forgiven and saved, Chirst wouldn't have done for man what the law required, and man would simply be lost. How does this prove that "Christ went beyond what the law required"?

I quoted DA 692, 693 to show that Christ's sacrifice was something He volunteered to do, not as an obligation. You could say He was obligated in that this is the only way we could be saved, but it can't rightly be characterized as a requirement of the Ten Commandments.

Re: the great controversy [Re: Tom] #120198
10/06/09 10:31 PM
10/06/09 10:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

M: This is impossible. Jesus could not be lost and sinners be saved.

T: You misread what was written. What was written is correct.

M:In what sense do you think Jesus could be "lost" and sinners be saved?

I didn't say He could be lost.

Quote:
T: That it was His nature to do so goes along with the points I've been making. However, you asked what Jesus did which is not commanded by the law, so I gave a couple of examples.

M:The examples you gave were required by law.

No they weren't.

Quote:
Never can the cost of our redemption be realized until the redeemed shall stand with the Redeemer before the throne of God. Then as the glories of the eternal home burst upon our enraptured senses we shall remember that Jesus left all this for us, that He not only became an exile from the heavenly courts, but for us took the risk of failure and eternal loss. Then we shall cast our crowns at His feet, and raise the song, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing." Rev. 5:12. (DA 131)

The Ten Commandments don't require this.

Quote:

M: The law specifies how love should be experienced, namely, in harmony with the character of God.

T: Where?

What you quoted doesn't specify what I spoke of.

Quote:
M: Also, as Rosangela pointed out, Lucifer knew the love of God fully before he sinned

T: So?

M:You seem to think the love of God was not fully revealed until Jesus was here in the flesh. The fact is it was revealed 4,000 years earlier.

Satan knew God's love. Man didn't know it:

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love. Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 761, 762)

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!