HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 105 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #120187
10/06/09 04:14 PM
10/06/09 04:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC and Arnold, what do you think about the idea that it is the literal light radiating from God that will cause the wicked to suffer and die?

Also, do you think the resurrected wicked are capable of comprehending the character of God in a way that will cause them to suffer and die? If so, why didn't it happen while Jesus was here in the flesh? And, why doesn't happen it now? What will change after the resurrection that the wicked are all of sudden able to comprehend God's character and suffer and die as a result?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120202
10/06/09 11:51 PM
10/06/09 11:51 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Mike,

I think the symbolic light will cause the wicked emotional agony. Seeing what they have lost, for eternity, as a consequence of their sins, will be punishment for them. It may not be the full punishment. I do not know that we can accurately ascertain what their actual punishments will be. I can imagine that some of the wicked would just rather seek relief from it all in death, but death will not come immediately.

I think God is capable of making people comprehend things which they might otherwise have been ignorant of. There is ample evidence for this in history.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #120219
10/07/09 03:15 PM
10/07/09 03:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I'm having a hard time finding places in the Bible or the SOP where the wicked are described as suffering emotional agony due to their sins or a comprehension of God's character. Regretting being excluded from heaven is hardly emotional punishment. It's simply another expression of sin. Their response is a desire to take the New Jerusalem by force. When this is denied them, they turn upon one another in fits of rage. It is at this point that God is constrained to rain down fire from above and to raise up fire from below.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120235
10/07/09 11:48 PM
10/07/09 11:48 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Mike,

What about "weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth?" In any case, as I said earlier, this may be only part of it. We are also told that fire and brimstone will be "the portion of their cup."

The only question is, which one will actually cause them the most agony...the grief at seeing what they have forever lost? or the physical pain? (And I do not agree that "regretting being excluded from heaven" is an "expression of sin." Is it wrong to wish they had been in Heaven? Should they wish to be in hell instead, as they are?)

I think Tom's view is leaning more to the emotional trauma as the only pain of significance. He views the fire as too torturous for a loving God. I'm not so narrow-minded on this, as I believe it may well be both emotional and physical.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #120237
10/08/09 01:32 AM
10/08/09 01:32 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I see what you mean. Good points.

RE: "And I do not agree that "regretting being excluded from heaven" is an "expression of sin." Is it wrong to wish they had been in Heaven? Should they wish to be in hell instead, as they are?"

2 Corinthians
7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Of this kind of repentance and sorrow, Ellen wrote:

There are many who fail to understand the true nature of repentance. Multitudes sorrow that they have sinned and even make an outward reformation because they fear that their wrongdoing will bring suffering upon themselves. But this is not repentance in the Bible sense. They lament the suffering rather than the sin. Such was the grief of Esau when he saw that the birthright was lost to him forever. Balaam, terrified by the angel standing in his pathway with drawn sword, acknowledged his guilt lest he should lose his life; but there was no genuine repentance for sin, no conversion of purpose, no abhorrence of evil. Judas Iscariot, after betraying his Lord, exclaimed, "I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood." Matthew 27:4. {SC 23.3}

The confession was forced from his guilty soul by an awful sense of condemnation and a fearful looking for of judgment. The consequences that were to result to him filled him with terror, but there was no deep, heartbreaking grief in his soul, that he had betrayed the spotless Son of God and denied the Holy One of Israel. Pharaoh, when suffering under the judgments of God, acknowledged his sin in order to escape further punishment, but returned to his defiance of Heaven as soon as the plagues were stayed. These all lamented the results of sin, but did not sorrow for the sin itself. {SC 24.1}

PS - Will any of the people named above change in judgment? Will they suddenly be able to experience a sinless form of sorrow and repentance? I doubt it. I suspect it will be sinful, an expression tainted with sin.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120243
10/08/09 02:24 AM
10/08/09 02:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Green Cocha
I think Tom's view is leaning more to the emotional trauma as the only pain of significance. He views the fire as too torturous for a loving God. I'm not so narrow-minded on this, as I believe it may well be both emotional and physical.

It's rather interesting that you view seeing the possibility of burning people alive as being not being "so narrow-minded." I certainly hope people such as yourselves, who are "not so narrow-minded," are never in a position of power to determine how people should be punished.

Quote:
There can be no more conclusive evidence that we possess the spirit of Satan than the disposition to hurt and destroy those who do not appreciate our work, or who act contrary to our ideas. (DA 487)

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. (GC 541)

The principles of "kindness, mercy and love" can in no way permit burning people alive for days. It shouldn't be difficult to see this.

Also, setting people on fire to burn for days could hardly be construed as being "for their own good."

A little while later it says "their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves." Nobody would voluntarily choose to be set on fire for days.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120250
10/08/09 03:20 AM
10/08/09 03:20 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. (GC 541)

The principles of "kindness, mercy and love" can in no way permit burning people alive for days. It shouldn't be difficult to see this.

But "kindness, mercy and love" can permit mental agony for days, leading to eternal death?

Also, setting people on fire to burn for days could hardly be construed as being "for their own good."

Tom, didn't you say that you were once asked to explain how subjecting the lost to eternally fatal mental anguish can be "for their own good"? And, IIRC, you said that 4 or 5 years later and you still can't answer the question. Do you see the double standard here?

Or maybe you have come up with an explanation of how eternally fatal mental anguish is good for the eternally lost. If so, please share it with us.

A little while later it says "their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves." Nobody would voluntarily choose to be set on fire for days.

If I remember the account in GC, the lost were not running away from the New Jerusalem when their destruction came. And if my understanding of the events is correct, Satan didn't kick himself out of heaven. Or are you saying that Satan left heaven willingly, of his own accord?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120265
10/08/09 04:27 PM
10/08/09 04:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you think Ty's books teach the inevitable result of sin during judgment, as each sin is revisited, involves comprehending the contrast between their character and God's causing compounding mental and physical suffering eventually ending in death?

If so, do you think the physical presence of God is necessary for it to play out this way? Also, do you think literal fire will be present at the time? If so, what effect will it have on the wicked before they die?

PS - Please elaborate when you answer these questions. If they miss the mark, please take it upon yourself to clearly state your position. Don't wait until I'm clever enough to ask the right questions. Thank you.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120266
10/08/09 04:28 PM
10/08/09 04:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Had God "left" Satan to reap the full results of his sin, he would have perished, but it would not have been apparently that his death was the inevitable result of sin.

Ellen White said the angels were fully aware of what God would do if they dared to persist in a course of rebellion. She wrote:

"Still the loyal angels urged him and his sympathizers to submit to God; and they set before them the inevitable result should they refuse: He who had created them could overthrow their power and signally punish their rebellious daring. No angel could successfully oppose the law of God, which was as sacred as Himself. They warned all to close their ears against Lucifer's deceptive reasoning, and urged him and his followers to seek the presence of God without delay and confess the error of questioning His wisdom and authority. {PP 40.2}

If God's glory had not been shrouded, it would have destroyed us. At the judgment of the wicked, it is not shrouded, and it will destroy.

She says it is the "light of His glory" that will slay the wicked. Light, not character, will slay the wicked. This "light" is literal light. Light can be "veiled", but not so character. The effect of this literal light on sinners is painful and deadly; whereas, it is life and healing to the risen saints. Of this light, Ellen wrote:

But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

When the divine Presence was manifested upon Sinai, the glory of the Lord was like devouring fire in the sight of all Israel. But when Christ shall come in glory with His holy angels the whole earth shall be ablaze with the terrible light of His presence. "Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before Him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about Him. He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that He may judge His people." Psalm 50:3, 4. A fiery stream shall issue and come forth from before Him, which shall cause the elements to melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein shall be burned up. "The Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel." 2 Thessalonians 1:7, 8. {PP 339.2}

Moses "was permitted to see the bright light and excellent glory that enshrouded the Father." {EW 162.3}

The glory of the Eternal Father is enshrouding His Son. The brightness of His presence fills the City of God, and flows out beyond the gates, flooding the whole earth with its radiance. {GC 665.1}

So great was the divine glory revealed to Daniel that he could not endure the sight. Then the messenger of heaven veiled the brightness of his presence and appeared to the prophet as "one like the similitude of the sons of men" (verse 16). {RC 90.5}

Christ came to reveal to a fallen race the love of God. He, the Light of the world, veiled the dazzling splendor of the brightness of His divinity, and came to live on this earth as a man among men, that they might, without being consumed, become acquainted with their Creator. {UL 334.5}

They tell [Moses] that they cannot look into his face, for the radiant light in his countenance is exceedingly painful to them. His face is like the sun; they cannot look upon it. When Moses finds out the difficulty, he covers his face with a veil. He does not plead that the light and glory upon his face is the reflection of God's glory that He placed upon him, and that the people must bear it; but he covers his glory. The sinfulness of the people make it painful to behold his glorified face. So will it be when the saints of God are glorified just previous to the second appearing of our Lord. The wicked will retire and shrink away from the sight, for the glory in the countenances of the saints will pain them. {3T 354.3}

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120274
10/08/09 10:37 PM
10/08/09 10:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: asygo
T:The principles of "kindness, mercy and love" can in no way permit burning people alive for days. It shouldn't be difficult to see this.

A:But "kindness, mercy and love" can permit mental agony for days, leading to eternal death?

Your idea is that no matter what God does, He's not being kind, so it's OK for Him to burn people alive?

Quote:
T:Also, setting people on fire to burn for days could hardly be construed as being "for their own good."

A:Tom, didn't you say that you were once asked to explain how subjecting the lost to eternally fatal mental anguish can be "for their own good"? And, IIRC, you said that 4 or 5 years later and you still can't answer the question. Do you see the double standard here?

I'm quite sure you're not recalling this correctly. I don't think any of it.

Quote:
A:Or maybe you have come up with an explanation of how eternally fatal mental anguish is good for the eternally lost. If so, please share it with us.

I don't agree that this is the case.

Quote:
T:A little while later it says "their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves." Nobody would voluntarily choose to be set on fire for days.

A:If I remember the account in GC, the lost were not running away from the New Jerusalem when their destruction came. And if my understanding of the events is correct, Satan didn't kick himself out of heaven. Or are you saying that Satan left heaven willingly, of his own accord?

What I put in quotes is from GC 543. That is, "their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 22 of 105 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!