HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 34 of 105 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #120815
10/22/09 02:44 PM
10/22/09 02:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
You have always protested any kind of prolonged punishment for the wicked, prolonged "suffering," as being a form of torture.

I've protested against the idea of the wicked's being burned alive. I haven't protested against against "any kind of prolonged punishment for the wicked, prolonged 'suffering,' as being a form of torture."

This is a misrepresentation of my position.

Quote:
I have yet to hear you acknowledge any form of real/actual suffering as being non-torturous.

I've only protested against setting people on fire to burn for days as being torturous.

Quote:
Without this missing puzzle piece, you make it appear that Ellen White must have been mistaken.

No I don't. I disagree with the idea that Ellen White taught that God will set people on fire to burn for hours or days for the purpose of making them suffer as a payment for their sins. If you look through this thread, you will see that I've repeated this again and again. This is what I've been protesting against.

Quote:
That's where I'm coming from. If you want to help me see your side, I need to see the missing puzzle piece.

The missing puzzle piece you're suggesting isn't anything I've said. My protests, throughout this whole thread, have been specifically against the idea that God will set people on fire to burn for up to many days.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120817
10/22/09 03:08 PM
10/22/09 03:08 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
The missing puzzle piece you're suggesting isn't anything I've said.

Chuckle. You got that right! It's still missing because you still have not said it! smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120818
10/22/09 03:22 PM
10/22/09 03:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: “They suffer punishment varying in duration and intensity, "according to their works," but finally ending in the second death.” What do you think will cause the wicked to die?

T: A long time ago I said God hadn't revealed the cause of death in the terms like you are asking. Why do you think this is important? IMO the paragraphs that I posted, which deal with the principles involved in the destruction of the wicked, is what's important.

Above she says their punishment will eventually end in death. Do you think it is reasonable to deduce they will die as a result of their punishment? Or, do you think it makes more sense to assume they die of something unrelated to their punishment? Both are important – who or what punishes them and who or what causes them to die.

If they die as a result of their punishment, then knowing who or what punished them, what means were employed and whether or not it resulted in their death, could help us understand the truth about judgment and God. But if they die of causes unrelated to their punishment, then it is important to understand why.

You seem to think their punishment will consist of God forcing them to revisit their sins in judgment. Comprehending the contrast between their character and God’s will cause them unequaled and unimaginable pain and agony. As each sin is revisited their pain and agony will increase and intensify. Try as they might, God will not allow them to hide or escape it.

There is a huge gap in your theory, a big disconnect. You portray them suffering as God forces them to revisit their sins, and then the next thing we know they’re turning upon one another in fits of rage. They are very much alive after revisiting their last sin, so much so they have energy enough to vent their murderous rage among themselves.

Were it not for God intervening, by raining down and raising up fire, they might very well wipe each other out. Apparently, though, it is not God’s will or desire for them to execute and eliminate themselves. It is not until well after the end of judgment, however, that they experience punishment in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness.

How do you rationalize this disconnect, the long time-gap between revisiting their last sin and being punished in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120820
10/22/09 03:46 PM
10/22/09 03:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
In the scenario of the emotional and mental anguish that sin causes, God is doing nothing at all arbitrary to cause either suffering or pain.

What could be more arbitrary than resurrecting them? What could be more arbitrary than forcing them to revisit their sins in judgment? What could be more arbitrary than preventing them from hiding? What could be more than arbitrary than raining down fire from above and raising up fire from below?

Also, you have yet to demonstrate from the Bible or the SOP the nature of their suffering, why they are suffering, and what they are suffering over. You seem to think they are suffering for the same reasons Jesus did on the cross, which implies the nature of their suffering is holy and righteous, rather than sinful and selfish. You seem to think comprehending the contrast between their character and God’s is what causes them to suffer. But why would it? His righteousness offers zero appeal.

The truth is – they’re sorry for sinful reasons. They were unable to defeat God and take New Jerusalem by force. These are not the reasons Jesus suffered on the cross. Far from it. The wicked are not sorry for righteous reasons. No way. They could care less that their character and God’s are radically different. The only thing that bothers them is that they didn’t win the GC. They do not crave or desire a character like God’s. They despise it and Him. This is how it is portrayed in the SOP.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120824
10/22/09 04:32 PM
10/22/09 04:32 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I think there's only one post I hadn't responded to, which I just did above this one.

There's post #120747, which ends with this:
Originally Posted By: asygo
Essentially, you are saying that if God allows physical suffering, He would be cruel. But if God allows mental suffering, it is perfectly fine, even if such suffering is worse than the physical pain.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120825
10/22/09 04:34 PM
10/22/09 04:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Another important thing you haven't explained is what you think God does to arbitrarily prevent sinners from dying the moment they sin.

T: Regarding what God does to prevent the wicked from dying, what difference does it make?

It matters because, as you say, they will suffer and die when He stops preventing it. Elsewhere you seem to be saying He prevents it by bearing their sin and guilt. This is, according to you, what enables them to sin without experiencing the real result of sin, making what they do experience arbitrary in the sense they should die not endure a lifetime of suffering.

The view I have embraced, however, does not require God to do something arbitrary to prevent sinners from suffering and dying the moment they sin. Again, He simply veils His radiant light and they are able to sin without dying. Barring access to the tree of life, however, results in a long, lingering first death.

Quote:
M: An even more important thing you haven't explained is what you think God does to arbitrarily prevent resurrected sinners from dying the moment they revisit their first sin in judgment. What exactly does God do that enables them to unnaturally withstand death as they revisit millions of sins one at a time?

T: The same thing as before they were resurrected (when they were alive).

Do you think Jesus continues to bear their sin and guilt? If not, what does He do to arbitrarily prevent them from dying prematurely, before they revisit their last sin?

Quote:
M: Do you agree each sin is sufficient to cause intense suffering ending in death? If not, why not?

T: Perhaps if you thought of the problem in terms of "sin" as opposed to "sins," that might help. The problem of the lost is that they have chosen to live apart from God. It's inevitable that a person who rejects God will commit sins, but it's not the individual sins that are the problem, but that one has chosen to live apart from God.

You didn’t answer the question. Do you agree sin results in death? Or, do you think sin results in “life apart from God”? I’m talking about what would have happened had God not intervened and arbitrarily prevented the real result of sin. I’m also referring to the result of revisiting sin during judgment. Again, do you agree each sin is sufficient to cause intense suffering ending in death? Or, do you think sinners have the ability to withstand revisiting sin and live apart from God?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120826
10/22/09 04:52 PM
10/22/09 04:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
A: The more wicked, the longer they suffer. That means more sin -> more life (at least a few days' worth). Conversely, less sin -> less life. Either sin and life go hand in hand, or there is something/Someone making the more wicked sinners live and suffer a longer.

T: The suffering that sin causes in the judgment occurs as the sin of the wicked is revealed to them, according to the light they have had. The more sin revealed to them, the more suffering. It's not an arbitrarily imposed suffering, but a suffering which is the direct consequence of their sin, in conjunction with the light they've had.

You didn't address Arnold's point - Who or what enables prolific sinners to live longer than sparing sinners?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120827
10/22/09 05:20 PM
10/22/09 05:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
spontaneous combustion

Do you think Nadab and Abihu spontaneously combusted? Or, do you think they died of means other than fire or the radiant light of God? If so, what do you think caused them to die?

Also, what caused the following sinners to die:

Numbers
16:35 And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense.

2 Kings
1:10 And Elijah answered and said to the captain of fifty, If I [be] a man of God, then let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And there came down fire from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120837
10/22/09 11:17 PM
10/22/09 11:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GreenCocha
T:The missing puzzle piece you're suggesting isn't anything I've said.

GC:Chuckle. You got that right! It's still missing because you still have not said it!

Here's the context:

Quote:
GC:You have always protested any kind of prolonged punishment for the wicked, prolonged "suffering," as being a form of torture. I have yet to hear you acknowledge any form of real/actual suffering as being non-torturous. Without this missing puzzle piece, you make it appear that Ellen White must have been mistaken.

The underlined statement is a false assertion on your part. You have I've "always protested" this, when the truth is I never have. I've been protesting against the idea that God sets people on fire to cause them to suffer for a prolonged period of time.

The definition for "torture" I've had in mind is the following:

Quote:
The infliction of intense pain (as from burning, crushing, or wounding) to punish, or coerce.

This is what I've been denying God does. The wicked do actually suffer, but not for the reasons brought out by this definition. There suffering is, to use your expression, non-torturous.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120839
10/22/09 11:27 PM
10/22/09 11:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: “They suffer punishment varying in duration and intensity, "according to their works," but finally ending in the second death.” What do you think will cause the wicked to die?

T: A long time ago I said God hadn't revealed the cause of death in the terms like you are asking. Why do you think this is important? IMO the paragraphs that I posted, which deal with the principles involved in the destruction of the wicked, is what's important.

M:Above she says their punishment will eventually end in death. Do you think it is reasonable to deduce they will die as a result of their punishment?

Yes. Their punishment is to suffer the consequences of their choice, to reap the full result of their sin, which God leaves them to.

Quote:
Or, do you think it makes more sense to assume they die of something unrelated to their punishment?

Their sin is the cause of their punishment. Their punishment is to reap the full result of their sin.

Quote:
Both are important – who or what punishes them and who or what causes them to die.

These aren't different things. They cause themselves to die by choosing sin. That's DA 764.

Quote:
If they die as a result of their punishment, then knowing who or what punished them, what means were employed and whether or not it resulted in their death, could help us understand the truth about judgment and God. But if they die of causes unrelated to their punishment, then it is important to understand why.

They die due to their choice of sin. The cross is the best means to understand their death.

Quote:
You seem to think their punishment will consist of God forcing them to revisit their sins in judgment.

DA 107-108 speaks of their death coming as a result of the light of the glory of God, which, in context, is the revelation of God's character.

Quote:
Comprehending the contrast between their character and God’s will cause them unequaled and unimaginable pain and agony.

Just to be clear, this isn't something I've said.

Quote:
As each sin is revisited their pain and agony will increase and intensify. Try as they might, God will not allow them to hide or escape it.

Nor this.

Quote:
There is a huge gap in your theory, a big disconnect. You portray them suffering as God forces them to revisit their sins,

I haven't done this. You seem to prefer putting words into my mouth rather than quoting my actual words.

Quote:
and then the next thing we know they’re turning upon one another in fits of rage. They are very much alive after revisiting their last sin, so much so they have energy enough to vent their murderous rage among themselves.

Were it not for God intervening, by raining down and raising up fire, they might very well wipe each other out. Apparently, though, it is not God’s will or desire for them to execute and eliminate themselves. It is not until well after the end of judgment, however, that they experience punishment in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness.

How do you rationalize this disconnect, the long time-gap between revisiting their last sin and being punished in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness?

I don't think you're portraying things as they will occur. Your description leaves out any mention of the cross, or the principles brought out in DA 107,108, or GC 541-543, or DA 764.

I've pointed this out many times, but your portrayals stay the same as before. IMO, they are one-sided, not considering all the evidence we have to consider, especially not the cross, and, consequently, you wind up with an idea which I think is far from reality.

Page 34 of 105 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!