HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,218
Posts195,998
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 21
Daryl 4
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 56 of 105 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121585
11/14/09 06:30 PM
11/14/09 06:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
"The inhabitants of heaven and of the worlds, being unprepared to comprehend the nature or consequences of sin, could not then have seen the justice of God in the destruction of Satan. Had he been immediately blotted out of existence, some would have served God from fear rather than from love. {PP 42.3}

M: The real results of sinning is God blotting them out of existence.

T: She doesn't say that God blots anyone out of existence. She said *if* God blotted him out of existence, what would have happened.

The justice of God, mentioned above, is associated with God destroying Satan and blotting him out of existence. The loyal inhabitants of the Universe were unprepared to comprehend the justice of God, therefore, He allowed the great controversy to play out further. The instant they are prepared, God will destroy the wicked and blot them out of existence. They will not be prepared, however, until the moment before it happens. To delay it one nanosecond longer would be to contradict His law and love.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121589
11/14/09 07:56 PM
11/14/09 07:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1. You wrote, “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) Do you disagree with what you wrote above? Do you think you inadvertently wrote something you believe is false or erroneous? Or, have you simply changed your mind and you no longer believe it?

I addressed this.

Quote:
2. Do you believe the full revelation of God’s character contributes in any way to the suffering and second death of men and angels? If so, please explain how and why. That is, explain why you think they are capable of suffering spiritually and dying physically when God reveals His character during judgment.

I've addressed this too.

Quote:
3. Also, do you think experiencing the full force of sin and guilt during judgment will result in the wicked 1) choosing to refuse their place in heaven, 2) choosing to separate themselves from God, 3) choosing to cut themselves off from their only source of life, and that 4) these choices result in them dying the second death?

I've also addressed this.

Quote:
4. Do you agree with what Rosangela posted: “Tom, I agree with Mike's point. . . it's God's glory, or presence, which destroys the wicked.” (121334)

I responded to this.

Quote:
5. You said, “Regarding the chronology, I've mentioned that there appears to me to be a doubling back in the paragraph discussing the proportional suffering of the wicked.” Here’s the paragraph and context:

It sounds to me like you think “Fire comes down from God out of heaven” and “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days” will occur while they are revisiting their sins, which you believe happens before everything else described above. Is this what you believe?

The proportional suffering is due to the effects of sin, I believe, as I've explained. Regarding the fire coming from heaven, this may have multiple interpretations. For sure it has the meaning given in DA 764, and DA 108, which is not literal. It might also refer to the literal fire which cleans the earth after the judgment is over. It might mean something else too.

Quote:
6. You believe the sodomites were burned alive, that they suffered for mere seconds before dying. Do you think this will happen to the wicked?

If there were a fire caused by man, like a nuclear weapon, perhaps this could happen. The description in the last chapter of GC speaks of implements of warfare being constructed, but doesn't go into any detail about them.

Quote:
And, why do you think sin-hardened men and angels are capable of experiencing the kind of emotional agony you’ve described?

Because of inspiration. (e.g. DA 753 is one I've mentioned).

Quote:
Also, do you think it makes perfect sense for Ellen to omit the emotional agony you’ve described in her most complete, authoritative description of the final judgment?

First of all, I wouldn't characterize the passage the way you have. DA 764 seems to me to be the clearest explanation I've read, in terms of the principles involved.

At any rate, in the passage you mentioned, page 668 speaks about it, and page 669 speaks about it in terms of Satan. Also Jesus spoke of it ("weeping and gnashing of teeth."). There are actually many references to this, in both the Bible and the SOP.

Quote:
7. Ellen wrote, “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. {GC 666.2} She says they are conscious of every sin. Why do you believe something different?

I believe something different from you because I don't think what you believe makes sense. I don't believe what you believe agrees with her intent.

Quote:
8. Do you think God has available to Him means and methods that would allow the wicked to revisit each and every sin without it taking more than a few minutes for some, a few hours for others, or a few days for the rest?

I don't think this is an issue which involves God's abilities. Also I don't agree with the way you seem to be thinking of thinking of things here, if I'm understanding you correctly. I asked you for clarification, but I don't think you responded. My apologies if you did.

Quote:
9. If a person dies having committed only one sin worthy of punishment do you think they will experience the emotional agony you describe, and will it end in second death? If not, what do you believe?

I responded to this in detail. At least twice.

Quote:
10. You wrote, “You've said that God works to prevent people from dying prematurely, in the here and now. I'm saying He does the same thing in the judgment to keep them from dying prematurely that He does now.” So, what precisely does He do now that He will do then?

The same thing He does now.

Quote:
11. “At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4} What do you think is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”? Or, do you think they mean the same thing? If so, please explain what you think it means.

I'm pretty sure I responded to this as well. The first sentence is talking about the same thing as the second. The wicked's being consumed with the Spirit of His mouth is speaking of the same thing as being destroyed with the brightness of His coming.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121590
11/14/09 07:59 PM
11/14/09 07:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MountainMan
"The inhabitants of heaven and of the worlds, being unprepared to comprehend the nature or consequences of sin, could not then have seen the justice of God in the destruction of Satan. Had he been immediately blotted out of existence, some would have served God from fear rather than from love. {PP 42.3}

T: She doesn't say that God blots anyone out of existence. She said *if* God blotted him out of existence, what would have happened.

M:The justice of God, mentioned above, is associated with God destroying Satan and blotting him out of existence. The loyal inhabitants of the Universe were unprepared to comprehend the justice of God, therefore, He allowed the great controversy to play out further. The instant they are prepared, God will destroy the wicked and blot them out of existence.

This completely disagrees with DA 764, as I've explained many times.

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

Please consider the underlined sentence. What you're suggesting doesn't make sense in the context of this paragraph, especially with regards to the underlined sentence.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121617
11/15/09 06:59 PM
11/15/09 06:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. You wrote, “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) Do you disagree with what you wrote above? Do you think you inadvertently wrote something you believe is false or erroneous? Or, have you simply changed your mind and you no longer believe it?

T: I addressed this.

Well, ever since you wrote this you’ve been referring to it as “weird”. However, you have been unwilling to say you misspoke. So, with your permission, can I say that you made a mistake, that you do not believe Jesus managed the intensity or duration of His character to prevent it from causing sinners to suffer and die, and that He will not do something similar to prevent the wicked from dying prematurely during judgment?

Quote:
2. Do you believe the full revelation of God’s character contributes in any way to the suffering and second death of men and angels? If so, please explain how and why. That is, explain why you think they are capable of suffering spiritually and dying physically when God reveals His character during judgment.

T: I've addressed this too.

You wrote, “Neither of these passages says exactly how God's character will slay the wicked, but the fact that the same thing gives life to the righteous is a strong indication that this is a spiritual matter.”

So, it sounds like you’re saying the character of God will slay the wicked spiritually during judgment. You admit you’re not sure how it will happen. Do you know what the result will be? That is, do you know if it will result in second death? Or, will they continue to live afterward?

Quote:
3. Also, do you think experiencing the full force of sin and guilt during judgment will result in the wicked 1) choosing to refuse their place in heaven, 2) choosing to separate themselves from God, 3) choosing to cut themselves off from their only source of life, and that 4) these choices result in them dying the second death?

T: I've also addressed this.

From what I can decipher your answers to 1-3 is “yes”, and to 4 your answer is “I don’t know”.

Quote:
4. Do you agree with what Rosangela posted: “Tom, I agree with Mike's point. . . it's God's glory, or presence, which destroys the wicked.” (121334)

T: I responded to this.

You wrote, “I looked on this page for something by Rosangela, and didn't see anything. I didn't comment on what she wrote?” Is it safe to assume you disagree with her since she agrees with me?

Quote:
5. You said, “Regarding the chronology, I've mentioned that there appears to me to be a doubling back in the paragraph discussing the proportional suffering of the wicked.” Here’s the paragraph and context:

It sounds to me like you think “Fire comes down from God out of heaven” and “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days” will occur while they are revisiting their sins, which you believe happens before everything else described above. Is this what you believe?

T: The proportional suffering is due to the effects of sin, I believe, as I've explained. Regarding the fire coming from heaven, this may have multiple interpretations. For sure it has the meaning given in DA 764, and DA 108, which is not literal. It might also refer to the literal fire which cleans the earth after the judgment is over. It might mean something else too.

I hear you saying Ellen doubles back to before “fire comes down from God out of heaven” when she wrote, “some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days”. I also hear you saying “fire comes down from God out of heaven” is at least symbolic of God’s character and possibly also literal fire or something else.

Quote:
6. You believe the sodomites were burned alive, that they suffered for mere seconds before dying. Do you think this will happen to the wicked?

T: If there were a fire caused by man, like a nuclear weapon, perhaps this could happen. The description in the last chapter of GC speaks of implements of warfare being constructed, but doesn't go into any detail about them.

Do you think “fire comes down from God out of heaven” will burn the wicked alive?

Quote:
M: Also, do you think it makes perfect sense for Ellen to omit the emotional agony you’ve described in her most complete, authoritative description of the final judgment?

T: First of all, I wouldn't characterize the passage the way you have. DA 764 seems to me to be the clearest explanation I've read, in terms of the principles involved. At any rate, in the passage you mentioned, page 668 speaks about it, and page 669 speaks about it in terms of Satan. Also Jesus spoke of it ("weeping and gnashing of teeth."). There are actually many references to this, in both the Bible and the SOP.

I assume you’re referring to: “It is now evident to all that the wages of sin is not noble independence and eternal life, but slavery, ruin, and death. The wicked see what they have forfeited by their life of rebellion. The far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory was despised when offered them; but how desirable it now appears. "All this," cries the lost soul, "I might have had; but I chose to put these things far from me. Oh, strange infatuation! I have exchanged peace, happiness, and honor for wretchedness, infamy, and despair." {GC 668.3}

Do you think this is what Ellen had in mind when she wrote, “Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race”?

Quote:
7. Ellen wrote, “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. {GC 666.2} She says they are conscious of every sin. Why do you believe something different?

T: I believe something different from you because I don't think what you believe makes sense. I don't believe what you believe agrees with her intent.

I believe she means they are conscious of every sin they ever committed. Do you agree with me?

Quote:
8. Do you think God has available to Him means and methods that would allow the wicked to revisit each and every sin without it taking more than a few minutes for some, a few hours for others, or a few days for the rest?

T: I don't think this is an issue which involves God's abilities. Also I don't agree with the way you seem to be thinking of thinking of things here, if I'm understanding you correctly. I asked you for clarification, but I don't think you responded. My apologies if you did.

Since you believe each person will suffer in duration to their sinfulness it seems reasonable to conclude you believe they will be conscious of each and every sin.

Quote:
9. If a person dies having committed only one sin worthy of punishment do you think they will experience the emotional agony you describe, and will it end in second death? If not, what do you believe?

T: I responded to this in detail. At least twice.

You wrote, “What I believe is that your question isn't the right way of looking at it.” Since you believe they will suffer emotional agony proportionate to their sinfulness I understand why you think the question is out of whack.

Quote:
10. You wrote, “You've said that God works to prevent people from dying prematurely, in the here and now. I'm saying He does the same thing in the judgment to keep them from dying prematurely that He does now.” So, what precisely does He do now that He will do then?

T: The same thing He does now.

Okay. But what precisely does He do now that He will do then?

Quote:
11. “At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4} What do you think is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”? Or, do you think they mean the same thing? If so, please explain what you think it means.

T: I'm pretty sure I responded to this as well. The first sentence is talking about the same thing as the second. The wicked's being consumed with the Spirit of His mouth is speaking of the same thing as being destroyed with the brightness of His coming.

I assume you also believe “spirit of his mouth” and “brightness of his coming” refer to His character. Therefore, does it mean you believe that being “consumed” and “destroyed” is “a spiritual matter” and not a physical one, that it doesn’t result in second death?

Again, you wrote, “Neither of these passages says exactly how God's character will slay the wicked, but the fact that the same thing gives life to the righteous is a strong indication that this is a spiritual matter.”

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121619
11/15/09 07:16 PM
11/15/09 07:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

M: The justice of God, mentioned above, is associated with God destroying Satan and blotting him out of existence. The loyal inhabitants of the Universe were unprepared to comprehend the justice of God, therefore, He allowed the great controversy to play out further. The instant they are prepared, God will destroy the wicked and blot them out of existence.

T: This completely disagrees with DA 764, as I've explained many times.

"At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

T: Please consider the underlined sentence. What you're suggesting doesn't make sense in the context of this paragraph, especially with regards to the underlined sentence.

Leaving them to reap the inevitable results of sinning means God doing what law and justice demand, namely, punishing and destroying them according to their sinfulness. Had God instantly blotted them out of existence, instead of extending the great controversy, the loyal beings would have feared God not understanding why the disloyal beings deserved such signal destruction. If, as you say, God had merely stepped back hands free and permitted sin to run its course, the loyal beings would have been confused as to the cause of death, but they certainly would not have blamed God.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121635
11/16/09 06:09 PM
11/16/09 06:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

T: I addressed this.

Well, ever since you wrote this you’ve been referring to it as “weird”. However, you have been unwilling to say you misspoke. So, with your permission, can I say that you made a mistake, that you do not believe Jesus managed the intensity or duration of His character to prevent it from causing sinners to suffer and die, and that He will not do something similar to prevent the wicked from dying prematurely during judgment?

I addressed this.

Quote:

T: I've addressed this too.

You wrote, “Neither of these passages says exactly how God's character will slay the wicked, but the fact that the same thing gives life to the righteous is a strong indication that this is a spiritual matter.”

So, it sounds like you’re saying the character of God will slay the wicked spiritually during judgment. You admit you’re not sure how it will happen. Do you know what the result will be? That is, do you know if it will result in second death? Or, will they continue to live afterward?

This doesn't make sense to me. I wrote out in detail what I think in a long post. If it says, "The glory of God will destroy them," or "The light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked," I don't see what sense asking "will they continue to live afterward?" makes. After they've been slain? After they've been destroyed?

I've referred to what Ty wrote. It seems to me he explained things pretty well.

Quote:

T: I've also addressed this.

M:From what I can decipher your answers to 1-3 is “yes”, and to 4 your answer is “I don’t know”.

You've changed words around, which makes it difficult to respond, as I don't know what you mean.

Quote:
1) choosing to refuse their place in heaven,

I'd say their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves. If this is what you mean by what you said, I agree.

Quote:
2) choosing to separate themselves from God,

I agree they will do this.

Quote:
3) choosing to cut themselves off from their only source of life,

This as well.

Quote:
and that 4) these choices result in them dying the second death?

I agree this happens.

I'm not sure what you're saying the cause for this is. I believe the cause is laid out in DA 764 and GC 542, which speak to the characters the lost have formed.

Quote:

T: I responded to this.

M:You wrote, “I looked on this page for something by Rosangela, and didn't see anything. I didn't comment on what she wrote?” Is it safe to assume you disagree with her since she agrees with me?

If she's seeing this the same way you are, as a purely physical thing, if I'm understanding your point of view correctly, then I disagree with her. I think the issue the SOP is identifying is primarily a spiritual one. I think DA 108 makes this particularly clear, in saying that the light of the glory of God, *which gives life to the righteous*, will slay the wicked.

Quote:

T: The proportional suffering is due to the effects of sin, I believe, as I've explained. Regarding the fire coming from heaven, this may have multiple interpretations. For sure it has the meaning given in DA 764, and DA 108, which is not literal. It might also refer to the literal fire which cleans the earth after the judgment is over. It might mean something else too.

I hear you saying Ellen doubles back to before “fire comes down from God out of heaven” when she wrote, “some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days”. I also hear you saying “fire comes down from God out of heaven” is at least symbolic of God’s character and possibly also literal fire or something else.

In DA 764, it says "the glory of God will destroy them." Immediately before this, she writes of how God's mere presence is to them a consuming fire. This seems to indicate that the fire which comes down from heaven and destroys the wicked, at least in this context, is speaking of God's character, since the glory of God is His character, and, in context, applying this literally doesn't make sense. Read in context, the idea that this is "radiant firelight," doesn't seem to me to fit. It seems to me to be trivializing the real issues involved.

I also believe there will be a fire which will purify the earth, a literal fire.

Quote:

T: If there were a fire caused by man, like a nuclear weapon, perhaps this could happen. The description in the last chapter of GC speaks of implements of warfare being constructed, but doesn't go into any detail about them.

M:Do you think “fire comes down from God out of heaven” will burn the wicked alive?

No.

Quote:
M: Also, do you think it makes perfect sense for Ellen to omit the emotional agony you’ve described in her most complete, authoritative description of the final judgment?

T: First of all, I wouldn't characterize the passage the way you have. DA 764 seems to me to be the clearest explanation I've read, in terms of the principles involved. At any rate, in the passage you mentioned, page 668 speaks about it, and page 669 speaks about it in terms of Satan. Also Jesus spoke of it ("weeping and gnashing of teeth."). There are actually many references to this, in both the Bible and the SOP.

M:I assume you’re referring to: “It is now evident to all that the wages of sin is not noble independence and eternal life, but slavery, ruin, and death. The wicked see what they have forfeited by their life of rebellion. The far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory was despised when offered them; but how desirable it now appears. "All this," cries the lost soul, "I might have had; but I chose to put these things far from me. Oh, strange infatuation! I have exchanged peace, happiness, and honor for wretchedness, infamy, and despair." {GC 668.3}

Do you think this is what Ellen had in mind when she wrote, “Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race”?

I think this is involved, yes.

Quote:

T: I believe something different from you because I don't think what you believe makes sense. I don't believe what you believe agrees with her intent.

M:I believe she means they are conscious of every sin they ever committed. Do you agree with me?

My opinion is that I agree with what she wrote, but not with what you think.

Quote:

T: I don't think this is an issue which involves God's abilities. Also I don't agree with the way you seem to be thinking of thinking of things here, if I'm understanding you correctly. I asked you for clarification, but I don't think you responded. My apologies if you did.

M:Since you believe each person will suffer in duration to their sinfulness it seems reasonable to conclude you believe they will be conscious of each and every sin.

I'm not sure what mean by this.

Quote:

T: I responded to this in detail. At least twice.

You wrote, “What I believe is that your question isn't the right way of looking at it.” Since you believe they will suffer emotional agony proportionate to their sinfulness I understand why you think the question is out of whack.

I wrote more than this. I wrote out several paragraphs. I spoke of the principles of self-sacrificing love vs. selfishness.

Quote:

T: The same thing He does now.

M:Okay. But what precisely does He do now that He will do then?

I've responded to this several times. He doesn't allow them to reap the full result of their sin, as explained in DA 764.

Quote:

T: I'm pretty sure I responded to this as well. The first sentence is talking about the same thing as the second. The wicked's being consumed with the Spirit of His mouth is speaking of the same thing as being destroyed with the brightness of His coming.

M:I assume you also believe “spirit of his mouth” and “brightness of his coming” refer to His character.

A revelation of His character.

Quote:
Therefore, does it mean you believe that being “consumed” and “destroyed” is “a spiritual matter” and not a physical one, that it doesn’t result in second death?

I'm not following your reasoning here. Why would it mean that?

Quote:
Again, you wrote, “Neither of these passages says exactly how God's character will slay the wicked, but the fact that the same thing gives life to the righteous is a strong indication that this is a spiritual matter.”

I agree with this, although "how the revelation of God's character" probably would be a clearer way of putting it than "how God's character."

Quote:

M: The justice of God, mentioned above, is associated with God destroying Satan and blotting him out of existence. The loyal inhabitants of the Universe were unprepared to comprehend the justice of God, therefore, He allowed the great controversy to play out further. The instant they are prepared, God will destroy the wicked and blot them out of existence.

T: This completely disagrees with DA 764, as I've explained many times.

"At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

T: Please consider the underlined sentence. What you're suggesting doesn't make sense in the context of this paragraph, especially with regards to the underlined sentence.

M:Leaving them to reap the inevitable results of sinning means God doing what law and justice demand, namely, punishing and destroying them according to their sinfulness.

No, it can't mean this. This doesn't make sense in context. First of all, "leaving" someone to reap the consequence of a choice they've made can't mean killing them. Secondly, even assuming it did mean this, one could hardly argue that the reason God didn't kill them immediately is because had He done so, it wouldn't have been understood that death is the inevitable consequence of sin. That doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Had God instantly blotted them out of existence, instead of extending the great controversy, the loyal beings would have feared God not understanding why the disloyal beings deserved such signal destruction.

This is a nice theory, and I'm not saying it isn't true, but it's not what DA 764 says.

Quote:
If, as you say, God had merely stepped back hands free and permitted sin to run its course, the loyal beings would have been confused as to the cause of death, but they certainly would not have blamed God.

DA 764 says not only would their have been confusion as to the causes of death for the wicked, but it would have caused a seed of doubt to arise in regards to God's character, which is saying that they *would* have blamed God. This was the whole problem. God could not have permitted Satan to perish, because so doing would have caused a seed of doubt to arise.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121669
11/20/09 03:34 AM
11/20/09 03:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, thank you for responding to my questions and comments. I hear you saying the cause of suffering during judgment is sin. I have no idea what part you think God's character will play in their suffering. And, I have no idea what you think the cause of death will be (except that you are certain they will not be burned alive or die of a broken heart). One minute they are suffering excruciating, unimaginable spiritual agony and the next they are mysteriously dead.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121778
11/23/09 05:05 PM
11/23/09 05:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, thank you for responding to my questions and comments. I hear you saying the cause of suffering during judgment is sin. I have no idea what part you think God's character will play in their suffering.

Really? I've written quite a lot about this. I also quoted Ty Gibson on this.

Quote:
And, I have no idea what you think the cause of death will be (except that you are certain they will not be burned alive or die of a broken heart).

I didn't say this.

Quote:
One minute they are suffering excruciating, unimaginable spiritual agony and the next they are mysteriously dead.

Nor this.

I think DA 764 would be good to study in regards to your questions. Also, the chapters "Gethsemane" and "Calvary" which discuss Christ's suffering in regards to sin.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121803
11/24/09 05:14 PM
11/24/09 05:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I see where you denied things, but I didn't see where you actually explained what you believe. So, I still have no idea what you believe. It would be nice if you would address my questions and comments in a way that leaves no doubt as to what you believe.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121813
11/25/09 12:21 AM
11/25/09 12:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I've written several long posts. Why not look at those? Those weren't denying things, but stating what I believed.

I also quoted from Kevin H., and from Ty Gibson, and these weren't denying things either.

Basically, consider things from the perspective of what is the problem, and how does it get fixed. What we believe follows from that.

I see the problem as being sin itself causing things which are bad. This needs to be fixed. It's fixed by what Christ did, and participating in that. For example:

Quote:
In heaven itself this law was broken. Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world.

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 21,22)

This identifies the problem of sin as being one of living by the law of selfishness, as opposed to the law of life for the universe. God needs to get us from the law of sin and death to the law of life.

How did we get to the law of sin and death? Satan has misrepresented God's character. How do we get to the law of life? By believing the truth about God, which Jesus Christ revealed.

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God....

...God was represented as severe, exacting, revengeful, and arbitrary.... The very attributes that belonged to the character of Satan, the evil one represented as belonging to the character of God. Jesus came to teach men of the Father, to correctly represent him before the fallen children of earth. ...The only way in which he could set and keep men right was to make himself visible and familiar to their eyes.(ST 1/20/90)

This brings out that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God. This makes perfect sense to me. This is the way to get us from the law of sin and death to the law of life. The revelation of God is the only way that we can be set right and kept right with God.

I think it's possible to understand and explain all of these things in terms of the law, but quite a bit more confusing. I think a child could pretty easily understand the things I wrote above. I don't think the same thing is true in regards to the legal theories I've heard. If the concepts are presented in legal language turn out to be the same as what I've presented above (Fifield, for example, does this) then I'm an agreement. If it leads to different ideas, or even different emphases, then I think this is incorrect. It's very clear to me that if the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission was the revelation of God, that's where our emphasis should be.

When we discuss the destruction of the wicked, we're really dealing with how it is that the law of sin and death results in death. It doesn't seem to me that the specifics of this, in terms of the death certificate that an M.D. would provide, is what's really important. What's really important is to understand that the essence of sin is selfishness, and selfishness is not a principle that can support life. It can do nothing but lead to misery and death. This is why it is inevitable that sin results in suffering and death. (YI 6/13/01)

Where I disagree with your ideas is where they are not in harmony with the principles I've laid out here.

Page 56 of 105 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 09/27/24 09:24 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/22/24 09:07 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/26/24 05:49 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by ProdigalOne. 09/23/24 12:28 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!