HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,218
Posts195,998
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 21
Daryl 4
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 60 of 105 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121917
11/30/09 12:02 AM
11/30/09 12:02 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Crucifixion was an imposed, arbitrary form of punishment. If, as you say, the cross symbolizes the punishment of the wicked, then we are left with no other conclusion than it is an imposed, arbitrary form of punishment.

T: The fact that A represents B does not mean that everything about A has a counterpoint in B.

M: Tom, which aspects of crucifixion do you believe have no counterpoint in judgment?

T: The things you were mentioning.

M:The only thing I mentioned was capital punishment. Do you think everything else correlates?

It doesn't appear, in asking this, that you read what I wrote. Immediately following we have:

Quote:
M: I assume, as a minimum, you see no corollary between capital punishment and judgment.

T: Yes, this is a big stretch. You might as well argue that the Romans will put people to death in the judgment.

So here I'm giving you an example of something else.

Quote:
M: I assume, as a minimum, you see no corollary between capital punishment and judgment.

T: Yes, this is a big stretch. You might as well argue that the Romans will put people to death in the judgment.

M:And yet you believe the destruction of Jews and Jerusalem by Romans perfectly portrays the final judgment.

Here you are misrepresenting what I said. I have quoted the following from the SOP:

Quote:
Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.

The Saviour's prophecy concerning the visitation of judgments upon Jerusalem is to have another fulfillment, of which that terrible desolation was but a faint shadow. In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law. (GC 36-37)

I've never said what you claimed I said.

Quote:
I agree with you, though, that God, not enemy soldiers, will destroy the wicked.

Here you are misrepresenting what I said. I have quoted the following from the SOP:

Quote:
Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them...(GC 36)

I've never said what you claimed I said.

Quote:
Although, I wonder how many will be killed when enraged sinners turn upon the leaders: “Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”

You're saying they are killed by each other?

It seems like you're jumping around. You were speaking of the destruction of Jerusalem, and then quote from the last chapter of "The Great Controversy," which is speaking of something else.

Quote:
M: Again, it is clear the long, lingering first death common to all is not the "wages of sin".

T: I'm not understanding why you're mentioning this here (i.e., I'm not following your train of thought.)

M: Sometimes stating the obvious is helpful. The long, lingering first death is the result of a decision God made, namely, to implement the plan of salvation rather than impose the death penalty. In one sense, therefore, the sin and suffering and death we are familiar with is unnatural and arbitrary.

T: Death isn't something "imposed" by God, but is the "inevitable result of sin."

M:Do you agree the suffering and first death are the result of God implementing the plan of salvation and that it is unnatural and arbitrary? Do you also agree had God not implemented the plan of salvation A&E would have died the same day they sinned?

Regarding the first death, I think we've discussed this in the past, and that we see things similarly. I pointed out I didn't understand your train of thought in bringing this up. You haven't explained that. I think we can let this drop, and should, unless you can tie this in to our discussion.

Quote:
And, if second death is the inevitable result of sin why, then, do you also say God’s character is what will slay them in judgment?

Why do you say "if"?

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

Isn't this clear that the second death is the inevitable result of sin? Regarding the second part of your question, I think what I've actually said is "the light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked." The reason why I say this is the same reason I say that the inevitable result of sin is death, which is that is what "The Desire of Ages" says.

Quote:
T: The wages of sin is death. When God warned Adam and Eve not to eat of the forbidden fruit, He didn't say, "If you do this, I will kill you" but "if you do this, you will die." This whole idea that sin doesn't result in death, but in God's killing the victim is the whole thing I've been talking about in regards to arbitrary. You see not natural connection between sin and death. You see that sin, in and of itself, is innocuous. It only results in death because God kills you if you do it. This makes the substitutionary death of Christ an arbitrary thing as well. . . Disconnecting the result of sin from sin is what leads to the arbitrary interpretation of the judgment, and the meaning of the sacrifice of Christ.

M:Yes, sin ends in second death. You believe it’s because God’s character kills sinners.

If you leave out the context, and just say something like "you believe it’s because God’s character kills sinners," you misrepresent my position.

I've quoted the following:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 108)

This explains the principle involved, which I've commented upon in detail.

Quote:
I believe it’s because the radiant firelight of God’s person and presence consumes them to death.

Yes, this is a point we disagree on. You see no direct connection between sin and death (i.e., the second death), but that the death of the wicked comes as the result of an arbitrary act of power on the part of God (Webster's primary definition of "arbitrary"). I disagree, seeing that there is a direct relationship between sin and death, as opposed to an indirect one.

Quote:
This isn’t to say sin is innocuous.

It's innocuous insofar as it does not directly result in death (the second death).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121927
11/30/09 05:18 PM
11/30/09 05:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: The only thing I mentioned was capital punishment. Do you think everything else correlates?

T: It doesn't appear, in asking this, that you read what I wrote. Immediately following we have: “You might as well argue that the Romans will put people to death in the judgment.” So here I'm giving you an example of something else.

By setting aside Roman involvement in the death of Jesus as “something else” besides capital punishment that has no corollary in the final judgment it sounds like you believe Roman involvement and capital punishment are two different aspects of Jesus’ death. If Romans did not impose capital punishment on Jesus who did?

Quote:
M: And yet you believe the destruction of Jews and Jerusalem by Romans perfectly portrays the final judgment.

T: Here you are misrepresenting what I said. I have quoted the following from the SOP. . . I've never said what you claimed I said.

“In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law.” Do you believe the destruction of Jews and Jerusalem by Romans imperfectly portrays the final judgment?

Quote:
M: I agree with you, though, that God, not enemy soldiers, will destroy the wicked.

T: I've never said what you claimed I said. “Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them.”

Do you believe Satan will destroy sinners and himself during the final judgment when God withdraws His protection? For example, Jesus said, “I will destroy man.” (Gen 6:7) “I will destroy my people.” (Isa 15:7) “I will destroy the city and the inhabitants thereof.” (Jer 46:8) “I will destroy thee; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD.” (Eze 25:7) “I will destroy thee, O covering cherub.” (Eze 28:16) “I will destroy thy mother.” (Hosea 4:5) Are these examples of Satan’s “own work”?

Quote:
M: Although, I wonder how many will be killed when enraged sinners turn upon the leaders: “Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”

T: You're saying they are killed by each other?

What do you think? When they turn upon them in a fit of rage do any of them die?

Quote:
M: Do you agree suffering and first death are the result of God implementing the plan of salvation and that it is unnatural and arbitrary? Do you also agree had God not implemented the plan of salvation A&E would have died the same day they sinned?

T: Regarding the first death, I think we've discussed this in the past, and that we see things similarly.

Just making sure things haven’t changed. You still believe the suffering and death we experience in this lifetime is arbitrary and unnatural. As such, then, we cannot cite it as evidence sin naturally causes suffering and death. Since it is arbitrary and unnatural, what can we learn from it about suffering and second death during the final judgment?

Quote:
M: And, if second death is the inevitable result of sin why, then, do you also say God’s character is what will slay them in judgment?

T: Isn't this clear that the second death is the inevitable result of sin? Regarding the second part of your question, I think what I've actually said is "the light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked." The reason why I say this is the same reason I say that the inevitable result of sin is death, which is that is what "The Desire of Ages" says.

First, what is clear to me is that punishment ends in second death. I do not agree that sin, in and of itself, acting alone, is what will kill the wicked. Neither sin nor its results will kill the wicked. Second death is the result of capital punishment. Secondly, I disagree with your idea that the character of God will kill the wicked. She wrote, “The light of the glory of God” will kill the wicked.

Quote:
M: I believe the radiant firelight of God’s person and presence will consume the wicked to death.

T: Yes, this is a point we disagree on. You see no direct connection between sin and death (i.e., the second death), but that the death of the wicked comes as the result of an arbitrary act of power on the part of God (Webster's primary definition of "arbitrary"). I disagree, seeing that there is a direct relationship between sin and death, as opposed to an indirect one.

Correct, sin cannot directly or indirectly kill the wicked. In fact, “sin is the transgression of the law” and, as such, it cannot kill anyone or anything. Sinners kill each other. But murder is not the punishment for sinning. Judicially, death is the result of capital punishment. Jesus earned the legal right on the cross to punish and destroy the wicked.

Quote:
M: This isn’t to say sin is innocuous.

T: It's innocuous insofar as it does not directly result in death (the second death).

True. But there is nothing innocuous about sinning. Just look around. Sinners are causing all kinds of grief. It is horrendous. Somebody should do something about it. In the end, Jesus will punish and destroy sinners. “For it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.” It does not say God will withdraw His protection and permit sin or His character to kill them.

Quote:
M: Nowhere in the judicial or sacrificial system is sin symbolized as executing the death penalty.

T: The sinner kills the lamb to illustrate that his sin resulted in the death of the lamb, just as his sin resulted in the death of the true Lamb.

Not so. The Lamb of God tasted, consumed, and conquered sin and second death. Sin did not kill Jesus. He laid down His own life and took it up again to prove He possesses the keys of hell and of death. The scapegoat, not the Lord’s goat, dies the second death with the sins of the saved.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121928
11/30/09 05:50 PM
11/30/09 05:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: The glory of God, His character (she actually says "of Him who is love," which is a clear reference to His character) destroys them.

M: You seem to waffle between saying sin will kill them and God’s character will kill them. What do you believe?

T: I've been quoting what EGW wrote. She seems consistent to me. Sin ruins their character, so that they cannot abide His presence. The light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. The inevitable result of sin is death. God is the fountain of life; when one chooses to separate from God, one cuts himself off from life. She said all these things.

It sounds like you believe the character of God is the active agent in the death of the wicked. Is this what you believe?

Quote:
M: Loyal beings were uncertain evil angels deserved to die.

T: This is not the point made in DA 764. The point she made was that had God left Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished, but it would not have been apparent that this was the inevitable result of sin.

Had God allowed them to die, loyal beings would have feared God and rebelled against Him. The question is - Why? Why would they blame and fear God if, as you say, the rebellious angels would have simply died spontaneously, for no apparent reason?

Also, the expression “left to reap” does not disallow capital punishment. In courts of law, criminals are “left to reap” the consequences of their choices. It simply means nothing else can be done to prevent the inevitable, namely, punishment. Law and justice require punishment. Why? Because sinning and its consequences is not punishment.

Sin and sinning does not punish them now and it certainly will not punish them in the final judgment. God will execute justice and judgment. "While He does not delight in vengeance, He will execute judgment upon the transgressors of His law. {PP 628.1}

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121932
11/30/09 07:13 PM
11/30/09 07:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: I've been quoting what EGW wrote. She seems consistent to me. Sin ruins their character, so that they cannot abide His presence. The light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. The inevitable result of sin is death. God is the fountain of life; when one chooses to separate from God, one cuts himself off from life. She said all these things.

M:It sounds like you believe the character of God is the active agent in the death of the wicked. Is this what you believe?

Why do you think it sounds that way? A couple of posts ago I wrote:

Quote:
In DA 764 the point is made over and over that the destruction of the wicked is due to the result of the choice of the wicked themselves, as opposed to something God does to them. Death is a *direct* consequence of sin, not an indirect one.

Why doesn't it appear to you that I think death is a direct consequence of sin?

Quote:
M: Loyal beings were uncertain evil angels deserved to die.

T: This is not the point made in DA 764. The point she made was that had God left Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished, but it would not have been apparent that this was the inevitable result of sin.

M:Had God allowed them to die, loyal beings would have feared God and rebelled against Him.

She wrote that "it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe." I read this as saying there was a possibility that it would result in further sin, not that she was saying for sure that loyal angels would rebel against God.

Quote:
The question is - Why? Why would they blame and fear God if, as you say, the rebellious angels would have simply died spontaneously, for no apparent reason?

Because they would have assumed God was causing their death. So it would have appeared that Satan's accusations were correct, that if you cross God, He will kill you. It would have led to a service of God based on fear, rather than love. This looks to be a real danger if one disconnects death from sin. Once this disconnect is made, then God becomes the One one needs to fear, rather than sin, which has a profound impact on the dynamics of one's relationship with God.

Quote:
Also, the expression “left to reap” does not disallow capital punishment.

In context, it very clearly does. Immediately before we read:

Quote:
The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this.

This is obviously not speaking of capital punishment. She uses the expression "they receive the results of their choice," followed by the explanation "place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them," which is clearly not capital punishment.

Quote:
In courts of law, criminals are “left to reap” the consequences of their choices. It simply means nothing else can be done to prevent the inevitable, namely, punishment. Law and justice require punishment. Why? Because sinning and its consequences is not punishment.

This idea doesn't fit with the context of what she wrote. Also, there wouldn't be anything to misunderstand. Her point is that they didn't understand that death was the inevitable result of sin. It doesn't make sense for her to say that if God had killed Satan right away, they angels wouldn't have understood that death is the inevitable result of sin, as, in this case, it wouldn't be true.

Quote:
Sin and sinning does not punish them now and it certainly will not punish them in the final judgment. God will execute justice and judgment. "While He does not delight in vengeance, He will execute judgment upon the transgressors of His law. {PP 628.1}

Sure, you can say that God punishes the wicked. And He does so in accordance with the principles explained. God allows them to receive the results of their choice.

Quote:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.(GC 36)

This is the same idea.

Once we recognize that death really is the inevitable result of sin, it no longer becomes necessary to view God in this way.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121933
11/30/09 09:36 PM
11/30/09 09:36 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: GC
You have affirmed that sin, not being a sentient being, does not itself cause death. We agree here. MM will also agree on this I am sure.

I think it would be clearer to say that sin "does not, of itself, cause death," What I said before was that sin "itself" does not cause death (I put "itself" in quotes on purpose) meaning, as I explained, that sin is not a sentient being that can act of its own volition.

Tom, this is a confusing point for me. You say that sin "itself" does not cause death, but you also said, "Death is a *direct* consequence of sin, not an indirect one." It's confusing to me.

So let me see if I can clear something up. Does there exist any X such that the statement "X itself causes death" is true? IOW, is there anything that "itself" causes death?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121934
11/30/09 09:41 PM
11/30/09 09:41 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
So it would have appeared that Satan's accusations were correct, that if you cross God, He will kill you. ... This looks to be a real danger if one disconnects death from sin.

Assuming Satan will eventually reap eternal death, what's to prevent the universe from thinking that if you cross God, He will kill you 6000 years later?

Assuming that Satan will be the last sinner to die, wouldn't the logical connection be that the more you sin the longer you can delay death?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #121938
11/30/09 11:10 PM
11/30/09 11:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: The only thing I mentioned was capital punishment. Do you think everything else correlates?

T: It doesn't appear, in asking this, that you read what I wrote. Immediately following we have: “You might as well argue that the Romans will put people to death in the judgment.” So here I'm giving you an example of something else.

R:By setting aside Roman involvement in the death of Jesus as “something else” besides capital punishment that has no corollary in the final judgment it sounds like you believe Roman involvement and capital punishment are two different aspects of Jesus’ death. If Romans did not impose capital punishment on Jesus who did?

You claimed,"you believe the destruction of Jews and Jerusalem by Romans perfectly portrays the final judgment." This is false. I never claimed this. You asked for an example of something that was different, volunteering that I would say that capital punishment was something different. I said there were many things that were different. I gave the fact that Romans were involved as an example of something else that's different.

There's no reason whatsoever to link this to capital punishment. To ask, "If Romans did not impose capital punishment on Jesus who did?" does not seem to me to be a question that makes sense to ask, based on what I wrote.

Quote:
M: And yet you believe the destruction of Jews and Jerusalem by Romans perfectly portrays the final judgment.

T: Here you are misrepresenting what I said. I have quoted the following from the SOP. . . I've never said what you claimed I said.

M:“In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law.” Do you believe the destruction of Jews and Jerusalem by Romans imperfectly portrays the final judgment?

I think this is rather vague. What do you mean?

To say what I think in a positive way, I think the principles explained in GC 36 also apply to the judgment. This is what EGW said, and this is the important point, IMO.

Quote:
M: I agree with you, though, that God, not enemy soldiers, will destroy the wicked.

T: I've never said what you claimed I said. “Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them.”

M:Do you believe Satan will destroy sinners and himself during the final judgment when God withdraws His protection? For example, Jesus said, “I will destroy man.” (Gen 6:7) “I will destroy my people.” (Isa 15:7) “I will destroy the city and the inhabitants thereof.” (Jer 46:8) “I will destroy thee; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD.” (Eze 25:7) “I will destroy thee, O covering cherub.” (Eze 28:16) “I will destroy thy mother.” (Hosea 4:5) Are these examples of Satan’s “own work”?

Ellen White wrote, "God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire." This explains that Satan and those who follow him ruin their own characters, which results in their destruction. In this sense, it's an example of Satan's own work.

Quote:
M: Although, I wonder how many will be killed when enraged sinners turn upon the leaders: “Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”

T: You're saying they are killed by each other?

M:What do you think? When they turn upon them in a fit of rage do any of them die?

I asked you what you're saying. You said, "I wonder how many will be killed when enraged sinners turn upon the leaders." This sounds like you're saying they kill each other. Are you?

Quote:
M: Do you agree suffering and first death are the result of God implementing the plan of salvation and that it is unnatural and arbitrary? Do you also agree had God not implemented the plan of salvation A&E would have died the same day they sinned?

T: Regarding the first death, I think we've discussed this in the past, and that we see things similarly.

M:Just making sure things haven’t changed. You still believe the suffering and death we experience in this lifetime is arbitrary and unnatural.

No, I've never said this. Is this what you think?

When I said we see things similarly what I had in mind is that if God had not taken action, Adam and Eve would have died right away. FW 21 discusses this.

Quote:
As such, then, we cannot cite it as evidence sin naturally causes suffering and death.

Why not? Isn't it obvious that this is what happens? People grow old and die, or die of disease (if they are not killed violently). What do you think caused this, if not sin?

Quote:
Since it is arbitrary and unnatural, what can we learn from it about suffering and second death during the final judgment?

I think your question includes a false premise here. The fact that God prevents sin from causing one to die right away does not mean that sin is disconnected from their eventual death, which appears to me to be how you're reasoning. I don't think this reasoning is correct, as just because X causes Y to happen instantly, and you prevent that from happening, you cannot conclude that X doesn't cause Y to happen in a fashion that takes more time.

Quote:
M: And, if second death is the inevitable result of sin why, then, do you also say God’s character is what will slay them in judgment?

T: Isn't this clear that the second death is the inevitable result of sin? Regarding the second part of your question, I think what I've actually said is "the light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked." The reason why I say this is the same reason I say that the inevitable result of sin is death, which is that is what "The Desire of Ages" says.

M:First, what is clear to me is that punishment ends in second death. I do not agree that sin, in and of itself, acting alone, is what will kill the wicked.

Of course not. It's not a sentient being that, in and of itself, acting alone "does" anything. The following discusses how sin works:

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love (i.e. choose) death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36.

Sin is like a parasite. It has to have a host. It does nothing "of itself" but, like a harmful parasite, destroys its host. It causes us to believe things about God which are not true, an idea I got from Ty Gibson, which I've shared. I think what he wrote about the fall (Adam and Eve) is right on.

Quote:
Neither sin nor its results will kill the wicked.

Since death is "the inevitable result of sin," I disagree with this idea.

Quote:
Second death is the result of capital punishment.

In this case, the death of the wicked would be due to an arbitrary act of power on the part of God, as opposed to the rejecters of His mercy reaping that which they have sown. Also, in this case, it would follow that we should view God as standing toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression, as opposed to leaving the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.

Quote:
Secondly, I disagree with your idea that the character of God will kill the wicked. She wrote, “The light of the glory of God” will kill the wicked.

It looks to me that you're disagreeing with *your* idea of what my idea is, as opposed to what my idea is. I see you haven't quoted anything I wrote. I've tried to be very careful to quote from the SOP. So, unless you can quote something saying otherwise, I'll have to conclude this is simply an idea you have in regards to what I've said, as opposed to something I've actually said.

What Ellen White *actually* wrote is, "The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked." That the light of the glory of God imparts life to the righteous is very important to note. It disallows the idea that the wicked die because they are exposed to radiant firelight, since radiant firelight does not give life to the righteous.

Quote:
M: I believe the radiant firelight of God’s person and presence will consume the wicked to death.

T: Yes, this is a point we disagree on. You see no direct connection between sin and death (i.e., the second death), but that the death of the wicked comes as the result of an arbitrary act of power on the part of God (Webster's primary definition of "arbitrary"). I disagree, seeing that there is a direct relationship between sin and death, as opposed to an indirect one.

M:Correct, sin cannot directly or indirectly kill the wicked.

In this case, death would not be the inevitable result of sin.

Quote:
In fact, “sin is the transgression of the law” and, as such, it cannot kill anyone or anything.

So you think one can transgress the law and yet live. This is what I've been disagreeing with. The law is "the law of life for the universe." One cannot disobey the "law of life" and live.

Obedience to the law gives life. Disobedience to the law results in death.

Quote:
It is true that all suffering results from the transgression of God's law, but this truth had become perverted. Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin.(DA 471)

Suffering and death results from the transgression of God's law, not as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin.

Quote:
Sinners kill each other. But murder is not the punishment for sinning. Judicially, death is the result of capital punishment. Jesus earned the legal right on the cross to punish and destroy the wicked.

The kingdom of God is not like the kingdom of God. Trying to understand how the justice of God works by thinking in terms of Western justice is another fundamental disagreement the two of us have. The following two points result in much of our disagreements, I believe:

a.Death is not the direct result of sin (or indirect, you wrote above).
b.The justice of God is like Western justice.

These are principles you appear to me to believe. I disagree with these ideas, believing that death is the inevitable result of sin (as a direct consequence), and the justice of God is very different than Western justice.

Here's an interesting quote regarding justice:

Quote:
Satan will be judged by his own idea of justice. It was his plea that every sin should meet its punishment. If God remitted the punishment, he said, He was not a God of truth or justice. Satan will meet the judgment which he said God should exercise (MS 111, 1897).

Jesus said, "Judge not that you be not judged, for the same judgment you apply to others will be applied to you."

This brings out that we are judged according to our own idea of justice. This has very different from the concepts of Western justice.

Quote:
M: This isn’t to say sin is innocuous.

T: It's innocuous insofar as it does not directly result in death (the second death).

M:True. But there is nothing innocuous about sinning. Just look around. Sinners are causing all kinds of grief. It is horrendous.

This is true.

Quote:
Somebody should do something about it.

God is trying as hard as He can to bring it to an end! For this reason He sent a "most precious message" to prepare the world for the coming of Christ. When the light He sends is accepted, rather than rejected, then Christ will come again, and sin will be brought to an end.

Quote:
In the end, Jesus will punish and destroy sinners. “For it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.” It does not say God will withdraw His protection and permit sin or His character to kill them.

It IS saying that God will withdraw His protection and leave the wicked to receive the result of their choice. This is the wrath of God.

Quote:
M: Nowhere in the judicial or sacrificial system is sin symbolized as executing the death penalty.

T: The sinner kills the lamb to illustrate that his sin resulted in the death of the lamb, just as his sin resulted in the death of the true Lamb.

M:Not so.

What's not so?

Quote:
The Lamb of God tasted, consumed, and conquered sin and second death. Sin did not kill Jesus. He laid down His own life and took it up again to prove He possesses the keys of hell and of death. The scapegoat, not the Lord’s goat, dies the second death with the sins of the saved.

Christ died of a broken heart, the result of sin. See DA 753.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121940
11/30/09 11:27 PM
11/30/09 11:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:You have affirmed that sin, not being a sentient being, does not itself cause death. We agree here. MM will also agree on this I am sure.

T:I think it would be clearer to say that sin "does not, of itself, cause death," What I said before was that sin "itself" does not cause death (I put "itself" in quotes on purpose) meaning, as I explained, that sin is not a sentient being that can act of its own volition.

A:Tom, this is a confusing point for me. You say that sin "itself" does not cause death, but you also said, "Death is a *direct* consequence of sin, not an indirect one." It's confusing to me.

Perhaps what I wrote to MM, where I spoke of sin being like a parasite, will clear things up.

Quote:
So let me see if I can clear something up. Does there exist any X such that the statement "X itself causes death" is true? IOW, is there anything that "itself" causes death?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I've been saying that there is a direct relationship between sin and death. Death "is the inevitable result of sin."

Sin is not a person or being that can act of its own volition. MM has written certain things that seemed to me to expressing the idea that he was speaking of sin in such a way. This is what I was disagreeing with.

Sin is transgression of the law. Decisions we make, whether thoughts or deeds, which contradict the "law of life" are sins. Sin is based on selfishness, which is not a principle which can suppose life. It can only result in suffering, misery, and death.

Quote:
T:So it would have appeared that Satan's accusations were correct, that if you cross God, He will kill you. ... This looks to be a real danger if one disconnects death from sin.

A:Assuming Satan will eventually reap eternal death, what's to prevent the universe from thinking that if you cross God, He will kill you 6000 years later?

Good question! The death of Christ.

The chapter "It Is Finished" explains what Christ accomplished by His death. One of the things He accomplished was to demonstrate the principles involved in the destruction of the wicked. This is why EGW is discussing these things in DA 764.

Christ's death demonstrated that death is the inevitable result of sin, as opposed to an arbitrary act of power on the part of God. Had God permitted Satan and his followers to reap the result of their sin immediately, they would have perished, but it would not have been apparent that this was the inevitable result of sin. Instead it would have appeared that their death was due to an arbitrary act of power on the part of God. After Christ's death, this truth (that death is the inevitable result of sin) was made apparent.

Quote:
Assuming that Satan will be the last sinner to die, wouldn't the logical connection be that the more you sin the longer you can delay death?

This follows from your point of view, doesn't it? That is, if God punishes people by setting them on fire, and then lets them burn longer if they have sinned more, then aren't they delaying their death by sinning more?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121942
12/01/09 04:02 AM
12/01/09 04:02 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I thought "mathematical" language might be clear, but I guess not. Let me ask it another way.

_________ itself causes death.

Is there anything we can fill the blank with that makes the statement true?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121943
12/01/09 04:16 AM
12/01/09 04:16 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

This follows from your point of view, doesn't it? That is, if God punishes people by setting them on fire, and then lets them burn longer if they have sinned more, then aren't they delaying their death by sinning more?

No, the exact mechanism that causes death - fire, mental anguish, broken heart, whatever - is irrelevant. The only "point of view" required is the a) Satan has the most sin, and b) Satan will die last. If you look at those two factors, you will find a strong positive correlation between sin and existence. IOW, one who sins less will cease to exist sooner than one who sins more.

If we accept that sin brings death instead of life, then we must conclude that the relationship between sin and death is more complex than your virus analogy suggests. With a virus, more viruses -> less life, the opposite of Satan's case.

If we would keep your virus analogy, then instead of sin bringing "lack of existence" we must come up with a theory that covers Satan's case. One such theory is "sin brings suffering." More sin -> more suffering. That fits Satan's case. But it may impact other aspects of our theology.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 60 of 105 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 09/27/24 09:24 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/22/24 09:07 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/26/24 05:49 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by ProdigalOne. 09/23/24 12:28 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!