HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,218
Posts195,998
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 21
Daryl 4
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,636 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 59 of 105 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121897
11/29/09 05:28 AM
11/29/09 05:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
T:If Satan dies because God imposes an arbitrary punishment upon him, neither of these paragraphs makes sense.

M:Certain sinful choices inevitably result in capital punishment according to law and justice.

The paragraphs don't allow this interpretation. This isn't what she's saying.

Quote:
In the end, during the final judgment, all sinful choices inevitably result in capital punishment according to law and justice. In this sense there is nothing arbitrary about it.

This contradicts what she wrote.

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

If she meant that Satan was going to be killed by capital punishment, these paragraphs don't make sense. For example, the last one:

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this.

What is "this"? "This" cannot be that the wicked would be killed by capital punishment! There's not a word suggesting this in the first paragraph. Here's the end of the first paragraph:

Quote:
God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

The "this" which wasn't understood is what's being described here. Again, this isn't capital punishment! This is saying the wicked ruin their own characters, and receive the result of their own choice. They cannot bear to be in God's presence. The glory of God, His character (she actually says "of Him who is love," which is a clear reference to His character) destroys them.

It's obvious she's saying that sin ruins their character so that cannot be in God's presence, as DA 108 also brings out.

Again, there's nothing about capital punishment here.

Now let's consider the second a bit more:

Quote:
Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.

If Satan dies because God kills him, then it could not be said that if God had "left" Satan to reap the full result of his sin, he would have perished. You can't "leave" someone to perish if you are causing them to perish!

Also, what really brings the point home is that she says "it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin." If Satan dies because God kills him, of course, there's nothing to misunderstand. She couldn't possibly have said it would not have been apparent that Satan's death was the inevitable result of sin if it wasn't!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121898
11/29/09 05:44 AM
11/29/09 05:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Crucifixion was an imposed, arbitrary form of punishment. If, as you say, the cross symbolizes the punishment of the wicked, then we are left with no other conclusion than it is an imposed, arbitrary form of punishment.

T: The fact that A represents B does not mean that everything about A has a counterpoint in B.

M:Tom, which aspects of crucifixion do you believe have no counterpoint in judgment?

The things you were mentioning.

Quote:
I assume, as a minimum, you see no corollary between capital punishment and judgment.

Yes, this is a big stretch. You might as well argue that the Romans will put people to death in the judgment.

Quote:

M: Again, it is clear the long, lingering first death common to all is not the "wages of sin".

T: I'm not understanding why you're mentioning this here (i.e., I'm not following your train of thought.)

M:Sometimes stating the obvious is helpful. The long, lingering first death is the result of a decision God made, namely, to implement the plan of salvation rather than impose the death penalty. In one sense, therefore, the sin and suffering and death we are familiar with is unnatural and arbitrary.

Death isn't something "imposed" by God, but is the "inevitable result of sin."

Quote:

M: Also, the fact sinners were required to slay animal sacrifices makes it clear the punishment of the wicked is an imposed, arbitrary form of punishment. That is, neither Jesus, nor animal sacrifices, died of natural causes. Someone, not something, killed them. Death was not spontaneous.

T: The sacrifice was designed to show that death is the result of sin committed by the one sinning. There's no way for a man to cause the death of an animal in a non-imposed arbitrary way, so it's not valid to reason the way you're trying to do here.

M:Not at all, Tom. Slaying sacrificial animals symbolized the fact our sins required the substitutionary death of Jesus to satisfy the demands of law and justice and to make pardon and salvation available to penitent sinners. The fact capital punishment was inevitable makes it clear the wages of sin is capital punishment.

The wages of sin is death. When God warned Adam and Eve not to eat of the forbidden fruit, He didn't say, "If you do this, I will kill you" but "if you do this, you will die."

This whole idea that sin doesn't result in death, but in God's killing the victim is the whole thing I've been talking about in regards to arbitrary. You see not natural connection between sin and death. You see that sin, in and of itself, is innocuous. It only results in death because God kills you if you do it.

This makes the substitutionary death of Christ an arbitrary thing as well.

Quote:
…when we localize the sacrifice, and therefore the action of the blood, we change the whole Bible thought of salvation by the blood of Christ into an arbitrary concept that is also heathen in its nature and origin. If damnation is an arbitrary doom pronounced by an arbitrary God, because man transgressed an arbitrary law, and if salvation / means man’s escape from that arbitrary doom, because God’s wrath has been appeased by the flowing blood of a propitiatory victim, then it is clear how the blood, all at once, on Calvary, could accomplish this for the whole world. But this is neither the damnation nor the salvation that the Bible was given to reveal.(Fifield, Water of Life)

Disconnecting the result of sin from sin is what leads to the arbitrary interpretation of the judgment, and the meaning of the sacrifice of Christ.

Quote:
Nowhere in the judicial or sacrificial system is sin symbolized as executing the death penalty.

The sinner kills the lamb to illustrate that his sin resulted in the death of the lamb, just as his sin resulted in the death of the true Lamb.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121899
11/29/09 06:37 AM
11/29/09 06:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GC
Do you believe that the punishment for sin comes apart from the law? that sin itself "punishes"?

No. Sin cannot "itself" punish because it's not a sentient being. I've made this point many times. What I've said, or rather quoted, is that death is the inevitable result of sin.

Quote:
Else do you believe there is no punishment for sin, and therefore nothing to be executed or imposed?

Death is the punishment for sin, but it's not an arbitrarily imposed punishment. Rather, it's the consequence of the choice made.

If one thinks of this logically, it should be easy to see why sin results in suffering, misery and death. The essence of sin is selfishness. Selfishness is not a principle which can support life. Only misery, suffering and death can come of selfishness. There is not need for God to arbitrarily cause these things to happen when they happen as a result of the choices those who sin make. Also, it's contrary to God's character to do so. These things come from Satan, not God. He is the author of sin and all its results.

Quote:
It is true that all suffering results from the transgression of God's law, but this truth had become perverted. Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin.(DA 471)

Quote:
If the law is what requires the punishment of sin, and the law specifies that the punishment is death, does it matter how that death penalty is executed? Would not the law be fulfilled in any form of death?

My point was that the form of punishment is arbitrary. You are admitting to this by your questions. If the form of death is not specified by the law, then it's a matter of individual discretion on the part of God.

Quote:
What is "arbitrary" about punishing with death, when the law says death is the punishment?

What I said was the form of punishment, using fire to cause people to suffer by burning them alive, and then killing them, is arbitrary.

Quote:
That is Ellen White's point.

She says nothing like this in the DA 764 passage, which is what I was discussing.

Quote:
The death penalty is not arbitrary. It is based on the law. To say the penalty is arbitrary is to say that the law is arbitrary, and therefore God Himself is arbitrary. When God executes the death penalty, it cannot be arbitrary, since the law required this, and it is merely meting out the justice demanded by the law.

This is difficult to respond to, as it does not appear to be based on anything I've said. But evidently, in your mind, it is. So before responding, let me ask you to explain (or better yet quote) what it is you think I've said (or actually have said, if you can quote it) that has led you to write these things.

Quote:
However, going a step further, God is not merely required to dole out death to the sinner. The law requires punishment for each and every transgression. If this were not the case, the first death would suffice. At the first death, "death" has been given already.

No, this is just "sleep." It is not death, which is the second death, which involves the issues of judgment.

Quote:
But the sins themselves were not punished. This is the purpose of the second death, and the reason that some sinners will suffer longer than others.

The second death is a consequence. It is the inevitable result of sin. The reason some suffer more than others is that they have sinned more. Sin causes suffering. More sin equals more suffering.

Quote:
Again, this is NOT arbitrary, for the law has demanded this in justice.

What you have described in regards to burning sinners alive would be arbitrary. There's nothing in the law that says that sinners have to be burned alive for hours or days.

Quote:
If a school teacher saw one student pinching and scratching another student for several minutes, but punished this student the same as he punished the student who rudely allowed the door to shut behind him instead of holding it open as the girl behind him with an armload of books was coming in, I suppose some might see fairness in it. I would not. Different sins require different punishments. Is this arbitrary? Not at all. It is justice. It would be "arbitrary" if the sins were treated by some other subjective method than by the degree of sinfulness.

In your example, the teacher decides the punishment. It's not specified by some law. Therefore the punishment is arbitrary; it's of the teachers individual discretion. Whether or not it is fair has nothing to do with whether or not it is arbitrary.

(Also this isn't anything I've been discussing. I haven't said anything about varying punishment or fairness of punishment. I don't know why you brought this up.)

From my point of view, there are the same shortcomings in the view your are sharing as what I brought up in responding to MM. Namely, there is a disconnect between the results of sin and sin, which causes these results. I won't repeat my comments here, but invite you to respond to what I wrote in response to MM, especially in relation to DA 764.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121901
11/29/09 07:25 AM
11/29/09 07:25 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

You have affirmed that sin, not being a sentient being, does not itself cause death. We agree here. MM will also agree on this I am sure.

The law, again not being a sentient being, has no power to cause death either. Would you agree here?

MM and I would agree that God is the one who causes the death of the lost, but that He does so according to the law (not a sentient being) and the sin (not a sentient being) of the lost. In other words, God chooses the end of the lost according to what they have earned. That is the whole concept of "wages" given in scripture.

"Wages" cannot appear out of thin air. "Wages" do not magically fatten the wallet of the worker according to his/her faithfulness or lack thereof.

It is God who gives the wages: crowns, new names, harps, honor, and eternal life to those who were righteous and worthy; death for those who rejected God's salvation, according to their deeds.

"The wages of sin is death." Those wages come from God, not from sin...sin, as you have said, is not a sentient being.

Mrs. White's point is that God is not arbitrary in handing out these wages, but rather is just, and gives the wages in accordance with the law, and by a careful record of the sins of each one. Her use of the term "arbitrary" is synonymous with our modern word "subjective." In her day, "subjective" did not carry the meaning our modern term does, and she would have been obliged to seek another word. It is my understanding that "arbitrary" was the nearest equivalent she could have used.

Take a look at this:
Originally Posted By: Webster's 1828 Dictionary
SUBJECTIVE, a. Relating to the subject, as opposed to the object.
Certainty--is distinguished into objective and subjective; objective, is when the proposition is certainly true of itself; and subjective, is when we are certain of the truth of it.

And here are the ONLY THREE sentences in which Mrs. White used the term "subjective."
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Religion is not to be a subjective influence in our lives.

Those who merely profess to be Christians,--the subjective part of religion,--who do not do faithful service for Christ, will fail of obtaining that experience that will make them of value in God's sight.

The text means that the salvation of the human soul requires the will power to be subjective to the Divine will power.

As you can see, "subjective" meant something entirely different to Mrs. White than it does for us today. She did not have the option to use this word in place of "arbitrary," and yet it was with the intent of helping us realize that God was not being subjective in dishing out rewards, but rather objective, that she used the word "arbitrary" (in her day, "subjective" and "objective" were not even opposites).

However, Tom, if as you say, the law does not specify what kind of death, then it matters not how the sinners die, for according to you, it would then be arbitrary.

Poor God! He cannot please Tom no matter what form of death He chooses for the wicked!

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121906
11/29/09 04:42 PM
11/29/09 04:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
The glory of God, His character (she actually says "of Him who is love," which is a clear reference to His character) destroys them.

You seem to waffle between saying sin will kill them and God’s character will kill them. What do you believe?

Quote:
If Satan dies because God kills him, of course, there's nothing to misunderstand.

Loyal beings were uncertain evil angels deserved to die. If God had executed them prematurely loyal beings would have feared Him.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121908
11/29/09 05:08 PM
11/29/09 05:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Crucifixion was an imposed, arbitrary form of punishment. If, as you say, the cross symbolizes the punishment of the wicked, then we are left with no other conclusion than it is an imposed, arbitrary form of punishment.

T: The fact that A represents B does not mean that everything about A has a counterpoint in B.

M: Tom, which aspects of crucifixion do you believe have no counterpoint in judgment?

T: The things you were mentioning.

The only thing I mentioned was capital punishment. Do you think everything else correlates?

Quote:
M: I assume, as a minimum, you see no corollary between capital punishment and judgment.

T: Yes, this is a big stretch. You might as well argue that the Romans will put people to death in the judgment.

And yet you believe the destruction of Jews and Jerusalem by Romans perfectly portrays the final judgment. I agree with you, though, that God, not enemy soldiers, will destroy the wicked. Although, I wonder how many will be killed when enraged sinners turn upon the leaders: “Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”

Quote:
M: Again, it is clear the long, lingering first death common to all is not the "wages of sin".

T: I'm not understanding why you're mentioning this here (i.e., I'm not following your train of thought.)

M: Sometimes stating the obvious is helpful. The long, lingering first death is the result of a decision God made, namely, to implement the plan of salvation rather than impose the death penalty. In one sense, therefore, the sin and suffering and death we are familiar with is unnatural and arbitrary.

T: Death isn't something "imposed" by God, but is the "inevitable result of sin."

Do you agree the suffering and first death are the result of God implementing the plan of salvation and that it is unnatural and arbitrary? Do you also agree had God not implemented the plan of salvation A&E would have died the same day they sinned? And, if second death is the inevitable result of sin why, then, do you also say God’s character is what will slay them in judgment?

Quote:
M: Also, the fact sinners were required to slay animal sacrifices makes it clear the punishment of the wicked is an imposed, arbitrary form of punishment. That is, neither Jesus, nor animal sacrifices, died of natural causes. Someone, not something, killed them. Death was not spontaneous.

T: The sacrifice was designed to show that death is the result of sin committed by the one sinning. There's no way for a man to cause the death of an animal in a non-imposed arbitrary way, so it's not valid to reason the way you're trying to do here.

M: Not at all, Tom. Slaying sacrificial animals symbolized the fact our sins required the substitutionary death of Jesus to satisfy the demands of law and justice and to make pardon and salvation available to penitent sinners. The fact capital punishment was inevitable makes it clear the wages of sin is capital punishment.

T: The wages of sin is death. When God warned Adam and Eve not to eat of the forbidden fruit, He didn't say, "If you do this, I will kill you" but "if you do this, you will die." This whole idea that sin doesn't result in death, but in God's killing the victim is the whole thing I've been talking about in regards to arbitrary. You see not natural connection between sin and death. You see that sin, in and of itself, is innocuous. It only results in death because God kills you if you do it. This makes the substitutionary death of Christ an arbitrary thing as well. . . Disconnecting the result of sin from sin is what leads to the arbitrary interpretation of the judgment, and the meaning of the sacrifice of Christ.

Yes, sin ends in second death. You believe it’s because God’s character kills sinners. I believe it’s because the radiant firelight of God’s person and presence consumes them to death. This isn’t to say sin is innocuous.

Quote:
M: Nowhere in the judicial or sacrificial system is sin symbolized as executing the death penalty.

T: The sinner kills the lamb to illustrate that his sin resulted in the death of the lamb, just as his sin resulted in the death of the true Lamb.

Not so. The Lamb of God tasted, consumed, and conquered sin and second death. Sin did not kill Jesus. He laid down His own life and took it up again to prove He possesses the keys of hell and of death. The scapegoat, not the Lord’s goat, dies the second death with the sins of the saved.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121909
11/29/09 05:26 PM
11/29/09 05:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, at this point it is not clear to me that God employs literal fire to punish and destroy the wicked. If it were so, then I agree with Tom that it would be arbitrary in the sense it is not cause and effect related like drinking arsenic. However, I agree with you that it is not arbitrary in the sense God would be satisfying the demands of law and justice.

At this point I am more inclined to believe the radiant firelight of God's person and presence is what will cause the wicked to suffer and to die. Literal fire will be present. The wicked will be surrounded by it, but I'm not sure it's what will cause them to suffer and to die.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121912
11/29/09 07:02 PM
11/29/09 07:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This may be the way in which Tom is applying the word, and I agree with your assessment of that. However, is this the way in which Mrs. White applied the word? I do not believe so. Hence, the difference I have with Tom on this point. Mrs. White is using "arbitrary" in a negative sense, made clear by her context.

Yes, I agree with this. Mrs. White is using "arbitrary" in a negative sense.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Rosangela] #121914
11/29/09 11:28 PM
11/29/09 11:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GC
You have affirmed that sin, not being a sentient being, does not itself cause death. We agree here. MM will also agree on this I am sure.

I think it would be clearer to say that sin "does not, of itself, cause death," What I said before was that sin "itself" does not cause death (I put "itself" in quotes on purpose) meaning, as I explained, that sin is not a sentient being that can act of its own volition.

EGW explains the principle here:

Quote:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. (GC 36)

This is very similar to DA 764. Here she says

Quote:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.

There she says:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown.

So the principle "This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God" can be seen as parallel to "God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression."

Quote:
The law, again not being a sentient being, has no power to cause death either. Would you agree here?

Yes, and I've made a similar point on a number of occasions. For example, saying "the law requires the sinner be punished" means "God requires the sinner be punished."

Quote:
MM and I would agree that God is the one who causes the death of the lost, but that He does so according to the law (not a sentient being) and the sin (not a sentient being) of the lost. In other words, God chooses the end of the lost according to what they have earned.

In DA 764 the point is made over and over that the destruction of the wicked is due to the result of the choice of the wicked themselves, as opposed to something God does to them. Death is a *direct* consequence of sin, not an indirect one.

Quote:
That is the whole concept of "wages" given in scripture.

"Wages" cannot appear out of thin air. "Wages" do not magically fatten the wallet of the worker according to his/her faithfulness or lack thereof.

It is God who gives the wages: crowns, new names, harps, honor, and eternal life to those who were righteous and worthy; death for those who rejected God's salvation, according to their deeds.

"The wages of sin is death." Those wages come from God, not from sin...sin, as you have said, is not a sentient being.

This is rather the reverse of the idea in Scripture. The GNT renders Rom. 6:23 thus: "For sin pages its wages -- death," which is the Scriptural idea. It's not saying that sin is innocuous, so someone else must kill those who sin, but that sin results in death. James puts it this way:

Quote:
Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. (James 1:15)

Our disagreement is stemming from whether or not there is a direct relationship between sin and death, or just an indirect one, where God kills those who sin.

Quote:
Mrs. White's point is that God is not arbitrary in handing out these wages, but rather is just, and gives the wages in accordance with the law, and by a careful record of the sins of each one.

No, this isn't what she's saying in DA 764. This is clear by reading what she wrote there. If her argument were along the lines of what you're suggesting, she would have said something about God being fair. But she didn't. Not a word. What she said, repeatedly, again and again, is that the death of the wicked comes as the result of their own choice. She said "they receive the result of their choice," for example. She also spoke of God's "leaving" the wicked to reap the full result of their choice. She also spoke of how this could have led to not a misunderstanding, because it had not been made clear that death is the inevitable result of sin.

Every point she makes in this passage supports the idea that "arbitrary" means what Webster's primary definition states. No point she makes supports the idea that she was speaking of God's causing the death of the wicked by a judicious use of power. This idea simply isn't there.

Regarding what you wrote about "subjective," that doesn't fit the context either. For your convenience, here are the paragraphs:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

You can see that the subject here is not God at all. She's not discussing whether God's actions are fair or not, or subjective or not, but what the cause of the destruction of the wicked is. She makes the point over and over again that their destruction is due to their own choice, which gets to the heart of our disagreement, in that you see no direct link between sin and death, whereas it is clear to me that this is precisely what she is explaining here.

Quote:
However, Tom, if as you say, the law does not specify what kind of death,

It's not simply that I say this, but this is the case. There's no place in the law that says that the wicked must be burned alive by fire to make them suffer. Remember that the punishment for sin, in your way of thinking, includes God's inflicting them with horrific suffering, not just killing them. Neither the method (nor the fact!) of horrific suffering being inflicted upon the wicked, nor the form of death, is specified in the law.

Quote:
then it matters not how the sinners die, for according to you, it would then be arbitrary.

If the law does not specify a form of death, then the form of death is up to God's individual discretion. Therefore it's arbitrary, using Webster's primary definition.

What Webster's primary definition is for "arbitrary" is clear. It's also clear that, from your perspective, God is using His individual discretion to determine how the wicked are punished. So it's difficult to see what you're arguing against.

The wicked do not die because of God! The problem is not that the wicked die because God kills them, but that the inevitable result of sin is death. God does not choose a form of death for the wicked, but they do. This is DA 764.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121915
11/29/09 11:35 PM
11/29/09 11:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
T:The glory of God, His character (she actually says "of Him who is love," which is a clear reference to His character) destroys them.

M:You seem to waffle between saying sin will kill them and God’s character will kill them. What do you believe?

I've been quoting what EGW wrote. She seems consistent to me. Sin ruins their character, so that they cannot abide His presence. The light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. The inevitable result of sin is death. God is the fountain of life; when one chooses to separate from God, one cuts himself off from life. She said all these things.

Quote:
T:If Satan dies because God kills him, of course, there's nothing to misunderstand.

M:Loyal beings were uncertain evil angels deserved to die.

This is not the point made in DA 764. The point she made was that had God left Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished, but it would not have been apparent that this was the inevitable result of sin.

Quote:
If God had executed them prematurely loyal beings would have feared Him.

Sure, for the same reason many fear Him today. If you believe God will inflict horrific suffering upon you and kill you if you don't obey Him, of course you'll fear Him! How could you not?

Page 59 of 105 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 09/27/24 09:24 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/22/24 09:07 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/26/24 05:49 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by ProdigalOne. 09/23/24 12:28 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!