HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 39 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 38 39
Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #121996
12/02/09 05:47 PM
12/02/09 05:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: James Saptenno
What is abiding in Jesus? Can we sin while we abide in Jesus? Are we lost the moment we sinned, because we are no longer abiding in Jesus?

Abiding in Jesus is a biblical metaphor. It envisions converted Christians connected to Christ and producing the fruit of His righteousness. It does not envision them producing sinful fruit. If we are not abiding in Jesus we are not in a saved state.

Quote:
We may sinned, we may fall from time to time, but as long as we repent and ask God forgiveness, he would forgive us, and we are still a just and righteous person.

If we fall into sin, do you think we are still "just and righteous" before we repent, before God forgives us?

Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #122003
12/03/09 06:22 AM
12/03/09 06:22 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
We may sinned, we may fall from time to time, but as long as we repent and ask God forgiveness, he would forgive us, and we are still a just and righteous person.

If we fall into sin, do you think we are still "just and righteous" before we repent, before God forgives us?

Of course when we sinned we are no longer righteous. The moment we repent and ask God forgiveness, when he forgives, we are just and righteous again. And how many times a day we pray asking God forgiveness whether we sinned or not? I my self at least 5 x a day.

In His love

Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #122004
12/03/09 06:25 AM
12/03/09 06:25 AM
J
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
What is abiding in Jesus? Can we sin while we abide in Jesus? Are we lost the moment we sinned, because we are no longer abiding in Jesus?

Abiding in Jesus is a biblical metaphor. It envisions converted Christians connected to Christ and producing the fruit of His righteousness. It does not envision them producing sinful fruit. If we are not abiding in Jesus we are not in a saved state.

According to me, abiding in Jesus is by faith, and as long I kept my faith in Him, I abide in Him, no matter some times I drifted away from Him, but as long I repent and pray for God forgiveness, I be still in Him.

In His love

Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #122005
12/03/09 06:28 AM
12/03/09 06:28 AM
J
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: You seem to be suggesting that sinning does not forfeit salvation, that refusing the gift of repentance is what cancels the privileges of salvation.

R: Yes, otherwise salvation would be just like a yo-yo, as James said, or like a light switch, as you said. I see it more as an umbrella, and losing salvation as stepping out from under the umbrella by refusing to repent. Christ's righteousness still covers you until you have the opportunity to repent.

T: Moses would be a good example. Did he lose his salvation when he lost his temper and struck the rock?

M: Does sinning happen under the umbrella? Or, does it happen the moment we step out from under it? Can we commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus? For example, can we get angry at our kids and smack them while abiding in Jesus? Is anger and smacking kids the fruit of abiding in the Vine?

T: Are you saying "yes"?

I do not think Moses was abiding in Jesus when he struck the rock in anger. Do you agree? Or, do you think the fruit of abiding in Jesus includes sinning?

I believe Moses was always abiding in Jesus by faith. His faith was anchored in Jesus, he may sin stirred by the desires of his flesh, where sin resides. But he always remain in Christ by his faith.

In His love

Re: I have some questions [Re: James Saptenno] #122007
12/03/09 01:31 PM
12/03/09 01:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's something from Waggoner:

Quote:
Moreover, whom he did predestinate, them he also called; and whom he called, them he also justified; and whom he justified, them he also glorified.” This is completed action. We need not stumble over it, if we will but remember that everything is in Christ. In Christ we have already been blessed with all spiritual blessings. All men are called to that which God has prepared for them, but none are “the called according to his purpose” unless they have made their calling and election sure by submitting to his will. Such ones are predestinated to be saved. Nothing in the universe can hinder the salvation of any soul that accepts and trusts the Lord Jesus Christ.

And all such are justified. The death of Christ reconciles us to God. “He is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.” 1 John 2:2. His death has secured pardon and life for all. Nothing can keep them from salvation except their own perverse will. Men must take themselves out of the hand of God, in order to be lost. Much more, then, those who accept the sacrifice are justified. “God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son; much more being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life...Everything that Christ has we have if we accept him.(emphasis mine;from Waggoner on Romans)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: I have some questions [Re: James Saptenno] #122008
12/03/09 01:33 PM
12/03/09 01:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

Of course when we sinned we are no longer righteous. The moment we repent and ask God forgiveness, when he forgives, we are just and righteous again. And how many times a day we pray asking God forgiveness whether we sinned or not? I my self at least 5 x a day.

In His love

Is this like a yo-yo? Sin and no longer righteous = not saved. Repent = forgiven = saved again? This happens at least 5 times a day, being in and out of salvation?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #122014
12/04/09 02:12 AM
12/04/09 02:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: You seem to be suggesting that sinning does not forfeit salvation, that refusing the gift of repentance is what cancels the privileges of salvation.

R: Yes, otherwise salvation would be just like a yo-yo, as James said, or like a light switch, as you said. I see it more as an umbrella, and losing salvation as stepping out from under the umbrella by refusing to repent. Christ's righteousness still covers you until you have the opportunity to repent.

T: Moses would be a good example. Did he lose his salvation when he lost his temper and struck the rock?

M: Does sinning happen under the umbrella? Or, does it happen the moment we step out from under it? Can we commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus? For example, can we get angry at our kids and smack them while abiding in Jesus? Is anger and smacking kids the fruit of abiding in the Vine?

T: Are you saying "yes"?

M:I do not think Moses was abiding in Jesus when he struck the rock in anger. Do you agree? Or, do you think the fruit of abiding in Jesus includes sinning?

My question was, "Did he lose his salvation when he lost his temper and struck the rock?"

What's your answer? Is it "yes"?

Re: I have some questions [Re: Tom] #122015
12/04/09 03:00 AM
12/04/09 03:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M:I do not think Moses was abiding in Jesus when he struck the rock in anger. Do you agree? Or, do you think the fruit of abiding in Jesus includes sinning?

T: My question was, "Did he lose his salvation when he lost his temper and struck the rock?" What's your answer? Is it "yes"?

Is sinning the fruit of salvation? Ellen describes it this way:

Quote:
John did not teach that salvation was to be earned by obedience; but that obedience was the fruit of faith and love. "Ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins," he said, "and in Him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, neither known Him." 1 John 3:5, 6. If we abide in Christ, if the love of God dwells in the heart, our feelings, our thoughts, our actions, will be in harmony with the will of God. The sanctified heart is in harmony with the precepts of God's law. {AA 563.1}

There are many who, though striving to obey God's commandments, have little peace or joy. This lack in their experience is the result of a failure to exercise faith. They walk as it were in a salt land, a parched wilderness. They claim little, when they might claim much; for there is no limit to the promises of God. Such ones do not correctly represent the sanctification that comes through obedience to the truth. The Lord would have all His sons and daughters happy, peaceful, and obedient. Through the exercise of faith the believer comes into possession of these blessings. Through faith, every deficiency of character may be supplied, every defilement cleansed, every fault corrected, every excellence developed. {AA 563.2}

True sanctification means perfect love, perfect obedience, perfect conformity to the will of God. We are to be sanctified to God through obedience to the truth. Our conscience must be purged from dead works to serve the living God. We are not yet perfect; but it is our privilege to cut away from the entanglements of self and sin, and advance to perfection. Great possibilities, high and holy attainments, are placed within the reach of all. {AA 565.1}

The reason many in this age of the world make no greater advancement in the divine life is because they interpret the will of God to be just what they will to do. While following their own desires, they flatter themselves that they are conforming to God's will. These have no conflicts with self. There are others who for a time are successful in the struggle against their selfish desire for pleasure and ease. They are sincere and earnest, but grow weary of protracted effort, of daily death, of ceaseless turmoil. Indolence seems inviting, death to self repulsive; and they close their drowsy eyes and fall under the power of temptation instead of resisting it. {AA 565.2}

Ellen describes true sanctification and then follows it by saying, "We are not yet perfect." Here is how she described true sanctification: "True sanctification means perfect love, perfect obedience, perfect conformity to the will of God." Think about it. Her description of not being perfect is - "perfect love, perfect obedience, perfect conformity to the will of God". This is quite the opposite of what some people believe. Some people describe not being perfect in terms of sinning. Ellen's is just the opposite. Interesting.

Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #122016
12/04/09 03:01 AM
12/04/09 03:01 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Did Moses' sin result in damnation? No, of course not. Moses is in heaven.

Re: I have some questions [Re: Mountain Man] #122017
12/04/09 03:15 AM
12/04/09 03:15 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: If we fall into sin, do you think we are still "just and righteous" before we repent, before God forgives us?

J: Of course when we sinned we are no longer righteous. The moment we repent and ask God forgiveness, when he forgives, we are just and righteous again.

True, the sins we commit are not just and righteous. But it doesn't mean we are totally defiled and unholy in every way. One sin does not undo everything we have accomplished in Christ. The moment we receive and experience the gift of repentance, we pick up where we left off.

For example, when King David sinned, it didn't strip him of everything he gained in Christ. The traits of character he strengthened while abiding in Jesus retained their momentum. "The character is revealed, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts." (SC 57)

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to minimize the horrendous nature and consequences of sinning. Not at all. Sinning is horrible. It cost the life of our dear Friend and Savior. But occasional misdeeds do not reverse or nullify the headway we made in Christ. Things just don't work that way.

Page 20 of 39 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!