HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125466
05/19/10 03:22 PM
05/19/10 03:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
p:Isn't it more difficult to choose to serve Christ than to choose to serve sin?

The "Hound of Heaven" poem addresses this. To choose to serve sin you have to choose to resist the love of God drawing one to repentance throughout one's life. That's not so easy.

R:The question is, Which is more difficult: to resist God's drawing or to resist Satan's alluring?

This is a question one could ask, but so are the questions I've been asking. For example, which path is the difficult path? I've been hearing you say the narrow path is the difficult one. I don't believe this is in harmony with inspiration.

Also Jesus tells us His yoke is easy and His burden light. I believe this is good news! I'm not hearing this being said, but rather how difficult it is to serve Christ.

Quote:
What I pointed out earlier in this thread is that God respects our power of choice, but Satan doesn't; God plays fair, but Satan plays dirty. This fact, in my opinion, makes more people choose to resist God than choose to resist Satan.

Where sin abounds, grace does much more abound. It's God's job to counteract the efforts of the enemy, so that it's a fair fight, and a person can make a free and fair decisions. God is very good at His job.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125470
05/19/10 06:06 PM
05/19/10 06:06 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I've been hearing you say the narrow path is the difficult one. I don't believe this is in harmony with inspiration.

In terms of pain, the broad path is the difficult one. But, in terms of effort, in my opinion the narrow path is the difficult one. Resisting God brings pain, but I don't think it requires more effort than resisting Satan. If there are two people trying to convince you to do opposite things, and one of them reasons with you, but the other one is threatening you with a gun and torturing you, who is more difficult for you to resist to?
Ellen White does speak of an easy religion which is not that of the narrow path:

We hear a great deal about faith, but we need to hear a great deal more about works. Many are deceiving their own souls by living an easy-going, accommodating, crossless religion. But Jesus says, "If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me." {NL 38.1}

The desire for an easy religion that requires no striving, no self-denial, no divorce from the follies of the world, has made the doctrine of faith, and faith only, a popular doctrine. {Mar 232.2}

Let no one talk of an easy religion. Let no one imagine that the path to Heaven is smooth and pleasant, that there is nothing to do but to believe. We are to be workers together with God; and through diligent and painstaking effort alone, can the conditions of the promises be met. The words of inspiration declare that "faith without works is dead, being alone." We are exhorted to "fight the good fight of faith." We are to wrestle with unseen foes, to labor, to watch, to strive to enter in at the strait gate; for many will be content with simple seeking, and will fail of an entrance. "Wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat;" but "strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, that leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." {ST, July 20, 1888 par. 8}

The religion of many is altogether too comfortable, too easy. They seem to think that if they copy the life of their neighbors, they will be safe. I tell you, we are not safe in copying any one but Jesus. {RH, July 7, 1891 par. 6}

Quote:
Also Jesus tells us His yoke is easy and His burden light. I believe this is good news! I'm not hearing this being said, but rather how difficult it is to serve Christ.

I agree that following Christ is easy, is sweet. "The longer I serve Him, the sweeter it grows." The difficulty doesn't come at all from serving Christ, but from the machinations of the enemy.

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Rosangela] #125471
05/19/10 06:29 PM
05/19/10 06:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's the SOP statement I've been referencing:

Quote:
Yet do not therefore conclude that the upward path is the hard and the downward road the easy way. All along the road that leads to death there are pains and penalties, there are sorrows and disappointments, there are warnings not to go on. God's love has made it hard for the heedless and headstrong to destroy themselves. (MB 138; emphasis mine)

Please note the underlined sentence. This is the point I've been making.

The narrow path is not the difficult one because God's love makes it difficult for those who would be lost to destroy themselves.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125473
05/19/10 06:39 PM
05/19/10 06:39 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I agree with that perspective. But I understand it's not the only one we have to approach the subject.

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125474
05/19/10 07:04 PM
05/19/10 07:04 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
arnold:Actually, I believe that *after already knowing Christ and having Him as one's personal Savior, and being indwelt by the Holy Spirit*, one is ALREADY saved. In that condition, falling into temptation is impossible.

John addressed this. He said, "If anyone sin, he has an advocate with the father." He was speaking to those who are converted.

Another way of seeing that your claim above is false is to consider Jesus Christ. He was always in the condition you described, but it wasn't impossible for Him to fall into temptation, right?

Quote:
1 John 3:9
Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

1 John 5:18
We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

While Christ is in you, according to John, you CANNOT sin, Satan has no power over you. As long as you are filled with the Spirit, you will always walk as Jesus walked.

And how did Jesus walk? Always in the Spirit. In that condition, He wasn't going to fall into temptation.

However, it is possible for Christians to sin. He just has to separate from God first. But humanity combined with divinity does not sin.

No, my claim was not false. My claim was a summary of the plan of redemption.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Rosangela] #125475
05/19/10 07:12 PM
05/19/10 07:12 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
I agree with that perspective. But I understand it's not the only one we have to approach the subject.

Ditto.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: asygo] #125476
05/19/10 07:21 PM
05/19/10 07:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, according to the logic of your argument, Christ could not have fallen into temptation, right? If you disagree with this conclusion, please explain to me, given the assumptions you're making, how this could have happened.

Also, to make clear what we're discussing, here's what you said:

Quote:
Actually, I believe that *after already knowing Christ and having Him as one's personal Savior, and being indwelt by the Holy Spirit*, one is ALREADY saved. In that condition, falling into temptation is impossible.

My statement was in regard to a converted person, any converted person. I was qualifying a converted person as one who knows Christ, has Him as a personal Savior, and is indwelt by the Holy Spirit, which is true of any converted person. Do you agree with this? Or do you think it's possible to be converted without one or more of these qualifying statements applying?

If you agree, then based on your statement, you look to be saying that a converted person cannot sin. Is this really what you mean to say? When you say, "in that condition" do you mean something other than the condition of being converted" (because being converted is the context of my statement that you were responding to).

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125477
05/19/10 07:29 PM
05/19/10 07:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok, so both Arnold and Rosangela are agreeing with the perspective that the narrow path is not the difficult one? The agreement is in respect to this point?

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125478
05/19/10 07:46 PM
05/19/10 07:46 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Arnold, according to the logic of your argument, Christ could not have fallen into temptation, right? If you disagree with this conclusion, please explain to me, given the assumptions you're making, how this could have happened.

Jesus could have fallen into temptation, but only if He decided to stop depending on the Father and the Holy Spirit. But while dependent and submitted to God, man cannot sin, including Jesus.

Also, to make clear what we're discussing, here's what you said:

Quote:
Actually, I believe that *after already knowing Christ and having Him as one's personal Savior, and being indwelt by the Holy Spirit*, one is ALREADY saved. In that condition, falling into temptation is impossible.

My statement was in regard to a converted person, any converted person. I was qualifying a converted person as one who knows Christ, has Him as a personal Savior, and is indwelt by the Holy Spirit, which is true of any converted person. Do you agree with this? Or do you think it's possible to be converted without one or more of these qualifying statements applying?

I agree that every converted person "knows Christ, has Him as a personal Savior, and is indwelt by the Holy Spirit." If one of these aspects is missing, he is not converted.

If you agree, then based on your statement, you look to be saying that a converted person cannot sin. Is this really what you mean to say?

Yes. Whoever is born of God (converted) does not sin. Whoever walks in the Spirit (converted) will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

When you say, "in that condition" do you mean something other than the condition of being converted" (because being converted is the context of my statement that you were responding to).

I mean the condition of "knowing Christ and having Him as one's personal Savior, and being indwelt by the Holy Spirit" - converted.

And going back to the original context, that condition is not something one must achieve in order to be saved, but a description of one who is already saved.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125479
05/19/10 07:47 PM
05/19/10 07:47 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Ok, so both Arnold and Rosangela are agreeing with the perspective that the narrow path is not the difficult one? The agreement is in respect to this point?

I'll speak for myself: The narrow path is not more difficult, but it requires more effort. A lot more.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!