HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126551
07/23/10 11:57 AM
07/23/10 11:57 AM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I posted the quotes from the SOP before reading your request regarding Paul. Nevertheless, I believe the quotes I posted agree with Paul's insights on the subject. And, I also believe my conclusions concerning the matter are supported by the quotes. I take it you see things in a different light?
MM, here is what I hear you saying,
You are saying that although Paul may not have actually said Christ paid for the sins of the world on the cross, you feel Paul agrees with it and if Paul agrees with it, that is the same thing as saying it.

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: kland] #126554
07/23/10 03:29 PM
07/23/10 03:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I believe Paul and Ellen are in complete agreement regarding Jesus paying our sin debt of death on the cross. I believe Ellen clarified what Paul wrote so that we don't have to rely on our own uninspired ideas about it. What she did is the essence and epitome of "line upon line, here a little, there a little."

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126561
07/23/10 05:16 PM
07/23/10 05:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, 2 days ago I wrote this:

Quote:
I'm saying Paul didn't say this. If you disagree, cite a place where Paul said, "Christ became a human being and paid for the sins of the world on the cross." Actually, that Christ became a human being you can skip. Just provide a statement where Paul said, "Christ paid for the sins of the world on the cross." Or, if you prefer the other wording you just used, "Christ paid our sin debt on the cross." You could provide a statement where Paul says this.

To date, you have provided no texts from Paul to support the idea that Paul said either of these two things. Do you agree that Paul, in deed, did not say this? If you disagree, please provide some text from Paul which says either of these two things.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Tom] #126567
07/24/10 02:31 AM
07/24/10 02:31 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I agree with you that Paul did not use those exact words. I hope that answer your question. Now, do you agree with me that Ellen elaborated upon what Paul and others wrote about it? If so, do you also agree with me that she conveys the idea expressed in the following sentence - "Jesus paid our sin debt of death on the cross"?

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126570
07/24/10 07:38 AM
07/24/10 07:38 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline OP
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Well, it seems we have managed to clear Pauls name from the accusations of despising context. I guess we can now turn to Mikes primary evidence and look at how Ellen views prooftexting and whether she is guilty of it.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: vastergotland] #126576
07/24/10 12:52 PM
07/24/10 12:52 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
http://www.spectrummagazine.org/articles/spectrum_interview/2010/07/23/bible_church
Quote:
RD: What effect do you hope the new Bible will have on the combined intellectual and spiritual life of Adventist church members?
JD: I believe that this study Bible will have an effect in the Global North ("Western world"), but my deeper and broader vision is that this Bible will have an impact where the vast majority of Adventists actually live internationally in the Global South. I think there are some very basic things that this Bible will speak to. One is a contextual reading of scripture. A lot of people have a Bible but the only Bible they have is one where the verses are separate: the very topography of the pages lends itself to proof-texting! I think having a study Bible that encourages a contextual reading of scripture will make a real difference in people’s spiritual lives. I also believe that the Bible is going to help large sections of the world understand grace and the gospel where the temptation may be toward legalism.
Here’s an example I just thought of this morning: Most Adventists know where the Ten Commandments are in Exodus 20, and accept them. Many, however, start their explanation of the commandments after verse 2. Here’s a note on this text from page 98 of the new Bible:

´I am the Lord.´ The identification of the Lord as deliverer from slavery must never be separated from the Ten Commandments. Jews considered this verse part of the first commandment. Obedience to the commandments is based on the experience of God’s gracious deliverance, which the first 19 chapters of Exodus explain. The Old Testament as well as the New Testament emphasizes God’s grace as the basis for obedience.

Now that will come as a revelation to some. It’s a very simple thing, known by many people but unrealized in many places. Just to have it written in a trusted study Bible will make, I think, a tremendous difference in peoples’ lives. That vision and dream is really what made me want to spend time working on this project.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: vastergotland] #126577
07/24/10 03:12 PM
07/24/10 03:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, as the texts I posted earlier demonstrate, Paul strung together short excerpts from the OT to establish and prove his point. He did not quote the entire passage. In the examples I quoted above, he used one sentence and partial sentences to arrive at conclusions not inherent in the context. Personally, I have no problem with him or anyone else employing the Bible in this fashion (so long as their conclusions are biblically sound).

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126583
07/25/10 02:35 AM
07/25/10 02:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I agree with you that Paul did not use those exact words.

He didn't just not use "those exact words." He didn't say what you claimed in any way, which is why you're unable to produce any statement of his saying that he did.

Quote:
I hope that answer your question.

It took awhile, with the false starts, but it's a beginning.

Quote:
I believe Ellen clarified what Paul wrote so that we don't have to rely on our own uninspired ideas about it.

Ellen White's function wasn't to turn off our thinking, as this seems to be suggesting. Ellen White lived in a different century, millennium even, in a different culture. It wasn't her function to clarity Paul's writings. She never suggested such a thing. Why do you have an idea like this? She never explained her role in any way even remotely resembling this idea.

Quote:
What she did is the essence and epitome of "line upon line, here a little, there a little."

I disagree with this too, at least as I'm perceiving your understanding of the idea. Kevin wrote about Ellen White's function as a prophet. Do you remember this? It's been awhile. I thought it was an excellent explanation.

Quote:
If so, do you also agree with me that she conveys the idea expressed in the following sentence - "Jesus paid our sin debt of death on the cross"?

I made no comment about what Ellen White wrote. I agree Ellen White said what you quoted her to say.

Do you agree that Paul didn't say this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126595
07/26/10 12:33 PM
07/26/10 12:33 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I agree with you that Paul did not use those exact words.
In agreement with vaster, I'm glad we cleared that false accusation up. I will assume what you make it appear to mean and attempt to dismiss the qualifier, "exact".

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: kland] #126599
07/26/10 10:56 PM
07/26/10 10:56 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Quote:
And you must always remember that a proof-text without a context is "always" a pretext. Good Bible study is never making the text say something it never said.

Galatians 2

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!