HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126600
07/26/10 11:08 PM
07/26/10 11:08 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline OP
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Thomas, as the texts I posted earlier demonstrate, Paul strung together short excerpts from the OT to establish and prove his point. He did not quote the entire passage. In the examples I quoted above, he used one sentence and partial sentences to arrive at conclusions not inherent in the context. Personally, I have no problem with him or anyone else employing the Bible in this fashion (so long as their conclusions are biblically sound).
I have learned that in hebrew schoolarship, where everyone knew the Torah by heart, everyone educated knew the Torah plus the prophets by heart, and the schoolars knew the Torah plus the prophets plus the commentary by heart, quoting one sentence or even one phrase was a common technique for "tagging" the whole context of the quoted phrase into your own argument. Thus, what you would write is a short reference, but what your audience hears is a two page insertion referencing a particular passage of scripture. Maybe a prophecy by Isaiah or a psalm by David or a law of Moses.

Besides, prooftexting is entierly infeasible when your audience knows the correct context of the passage you atempt to misuse. Prooftexting is entierly reliant upon it ignorance of your audience as to what the text is really talking about. (As hearing someone wrench a word you are well familiar with to a purpose which is alien to it makes you uncomfortable and suspicious of the motives and intent of the speaker.)

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: vastergotland] #126604
07/26/10 11:23 PM
07/26/10 11:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Thomas, as the texts I posted earlier demonstrate, Paul strung together short excerpts from the OT to establish and prove his point. He did not quote the entire passage. In the examples I quoted above, he used one sentence and partial sentences to arrive at conclusions not inherent in the context.

What's an example of this? I.e., of Paul's using sentences or partial sentences to arrive at conclusions not inherent in the context.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Tom] #126605
07/26/10 11:25 PM
07/26/10 11:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: vaster
Besides, prooftexting is entierly infeasible when your audience knows the correct context of the passage you atempt to misuse. Prooftexting is entierly reliant upon it ignorance of your audience as to what the text is really talking about.(emphasis mine)

This is an interesting point!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Tom] #126633
08/04/10 04:33 PM
08/04/10 04:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, how would anyone arrive at new truth if everyone believes the same thing about the context of a passage?

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126645
08/06/10 12:17 PM
08/06/10 12:17 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mike, I didnt realise that you view confusion/missunderstanding to be a conductor of truth.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: vastergotland] #126646
08/06/10 12:45 PM
08/06/10 12:45 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
To clarify myself, believing the false thing about a passage is not expected to facilitate a correct understanding of what it tries to teach. God can still use it to lead a person to the truth, but laying aside our best effort to reach a correct understanding through honest study while expecting God to make up the difference is an approach which is not supported by neither the bible nor by Ellen (who repeatedly refused to let vision replace acctual biblestudy). Therefore learning the right context, understanding the text properly and then puting it in a right relationship with the rest of the biblical teaching seems to be the way to proceed. Taking a view that is foreign to the immediate context and the larger biblical teaching simply because this erronous understanding is "hallowed" by lengthy use and denominational tradition is then the wrong way to proceed. We have yet truths to learn and falsehoods to unlearn, as Ellen once wrote.

Galatians 2

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: vastergotland] #126647
08/07/10 07:24 AM
08/07/10 07:24 AM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Defining prooftexting as a use of selected parts of a source document where knowledge of the context is not assumed and or actively discouraged. Where the context if explored would be found to make the text either irrelevant for the purpose it was used for or sometimes even disprove the point the prooftexter tried to make. Examples of use among authors who assume the audience will not try to explore context, in guided biblestudy where line comes upon line in such a speed that any wish to look at context is rendered impossible, or when the precise source of the prooftext is actively hidden making its use nothing more than elaborate name-dropping.

Defining responsible use of the bible as giving quotes which not only give immediate support for the point being made but where the context if known or researched will strengthen the point further. Opportunity and encouragement to learn the context is also supported and facilitated.

Galatians 2

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: vastergotland] #126651
08/08/10 01:35 AM
08/08/10 01:35 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
(Ellen White made doctrinal statements throughout her calling as a prophet. But some things she said in her early years are not congruent with some things she said in her later years. Both cannot be true at the same time. Therefore I cannot agree that a prophet is infallible on doctrinal matters.)

Thomas, could you produce some examples of this?

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Rosangela] #126652
08/08/10 05:50 AM
08/08/10 05:50 AM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

Galatians 2

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: vastergotland] #126663
08/09/10 08:47 PM
08/09/10 08:47 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Vaster,

This is an example which shows that we shouldn't accept at face value what other people say. Dr. Graeme Bradford says:

Quote:
In the 1850s J H Waggoner had written a book in which he took the position that the law in Galatians was the moral law. Stephen Pierce opposed him arguing that it was the law system including the ceremonial law. She opposed Waggoner and supported Pierce. Later the denominational position accepted that the law in Galatians was the ceremonial law alone. She supported this position. She published this view in her book Sketches from the Life of Paul.

You will notice that he mentions no reference that can be verified by the reader. In which page of the book Sketches from the Life of Paul does Ellen White say that the law in Galatians is the ceremonial law alone? In none that I am aware of.

He still says:
Quote:
It seems she did change her position again later when Acts of the Apostles was published in 1911. She wrote of the moral law as the schoolmaster. (Some scholars today would say this position is incorrect and would contend that the law referred to in Galatians means the Torah as a covenant and national system.)

Another unsubstantiated claim. Neither the word schoolmaster nor any allusion to Gal. 3:24 can be found in AA.

What she did say about this:

In 1896 - "In this scripture, the Holy Spirit through the apostle is speaking especially [not exclusively] of the moral law" (1SM 234.5).

In 1900 - "I am asked concerning the law in Galatians. What law is the schoolmaster to bring us to Christ? I answer: Both the ceremonial and the moral code of ten commandments" (1SM 233.1).

About the "daily," we have discussed it in the past here.

As any normal person, she did have her personal opinions, which did grow with time, or simply had no opinion about some doctrinal points. But, when she wrote about doctrinal matters, she didn't express merely her personal opinions.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!