HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12695
03/08/05 12:59 AM
03/08/05 12:59 AM
M
myarsman  Offline
North Carolina
A little boy, covered in mud, enters into his home where his mother is waiting for him. She notes his muddied appearance and quickly sets about to clean him up.

She removes his muddy clothes and gives him a thorough bath which washes away all traces of the mud. She then gives him clean clothes to wear.

All traces of his former muddy appearance have be eradicated.

As the little boy heads outside his mother reminds him of his cleanliness and encourages him to not get muddy again.

Shortly after the boy goes outside he sees his favorite mud-puddle. He is instantly reminded of the fun that he had when he was playing in the mud-puddle. He remembers jumping up and down in the water and sitting down in the middle of the puddle and splashing the water all over himself.

At the same time he remembers what his mother said before he left the house and his conscious tells him that he should obey his mother. He truly loves his mother and he wants to please her, but he also remembers how much fun he had when he played in the puddle.

So rages the war within the mind of the little boy.

As long as he stays away from the mud-puddle he remains "cleansed" and "mud-free".

(His previous experience in the mud-puddle has been "cleansed/blotted-out" and no longer exists. It has all been washed down the drain.)

This is how MY God deals with my past sins and how He encourages me to "maintain" the "cleansing/righteousness" that He has given to me when I was forgiven/atoned for my past sins.

As long as I maintain my relationship with God and allow His Holy Spirit to be the primary influence in my life and I continue to choose to resist the temptation to sin again.......I am righteous/cleansed/perfect.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12696
03/08/05 01:30 AM
03/08/05 01:30 AM
Restin  Offline
Apopka, Florida, USA
One problem with the idea of being perfect is defining what is sin and what is not. While most SDA keep the sabbath, don't wear jewelry, don't commit adultery, or kill, or steal, they may not be including many evils such as stinginess, backbiting, gloom and depression, or anxiety, or greed, or ever eating any non-food such as potato chips or a cookie. You must be someone who never gets irritated, or gets in an argument with your spouse, or ever loses your patience, and is never defensive or showing symptoms of insecurity at any time. All neuroses, bad habits, and psychiatric problems would be on this list. You must always be punctual, always cheerful, forgiving, and obey all health rules. Then what about the sins of omission, such as failing to pass out literature in the neighborhood instead of resting on the Sabbath, or failing to give the church more than the required 10%, or failing to pay a bill because you didn't have enough money to go around, or letting yourself have any financial problem in the first place. All these "little" sins are just as bad as the big ten, according to the Bible. So, I just can't buy it, you people who insist that you yourself have arrived at that perfection. I can't buy it either that anyone else out there in the world is perfect, or ever will be, when you are perfectly honest about what perfection really means. I've been out in the world of work and business many years now and have yet to see even one perfect person, after i've known them a year or two. And you that proclaim the strongest how it's possible to be perfect...are you perfect? Maybe you think that just because you don't lust, smoke, or steal, or watch TV, you are perfect. But you may not even be aware of some ways and habits you have that annoy people to no end.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12697
03/08/05 02:12 AM
03/08/05 02:12 AM
R
rianna  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Tennessee
Whew! I am tempted to turn and run from this forum!

After studying many years the righteousness by faith 1888 message and the wonderful Bible texts it included I had to come to only one conclusion!

Perfection is NOT my forte nor am I any kind of expert on the subject! In fact, I probably wouldn't recognize it if it hit me in the head and even then would fear it!

However if God says I can be perfect I can accept that. Because it is only God who could do any perfection creating He will have to work it out in His own way! My priviledge as His child is to keep talkin' to Him, Keep Listening to Him and Keep staying close to His awesome love. I am pretty sure I can't "Work" my way to perfection but It might be possible to assimilate it by association! Now that I can live with!....God will take care of any perfecting that may be needed! In the meantime I intend to live with JOY!!!

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12698
03/08/05 02:22 AM
03/08/05 02:22 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
[Thank You] Welcome, rianna, to Maritime SDA OnLine! [Thank You] [Smile]

I agree rianna that our focus isn't to be on being perfect, but on having an actual relationship with Jesus Christ which will in itself result in obedience which will also in itself also result in good works.

If I get all wrapped up in whether or not I am being a good Christian, then, instead of being a joyful Christian, I will be a most miserable Christian.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12699
03/08/05 03:06 AM
03/08/05 03:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is my favorite perfection quote (it's taken from the commentary on Matt. 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect as your heavenly father is perfect)

quote:
God has made provision that we may become like unto Him, and He will accomplish this for all who do not interpose a perverse will and thus frustrate His grace.

With untold love our God has loved us, and our love awakens toward Him as we comprehend something of the length and breadth and depth and height of this love that passeth knowledge. By the revelation of the attractive loveliness of Christ, by the knowledge of His love expressed to us while we were yet sinners, the stubborn heart is melted and subdued, and the sinner is transformed and becomes a child of heaven. God does not employ compulsory measures; love is the agent which He uses to expel sin from the heart. By it He changes pride into humility, and enmity and unbelief into love and faith. (MB 76, 77)

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12700
03/08/05 03:14 AM
03/08/05 03:14 AM
Restin  Offline
Apopka, Florida, USA
Denborg, in regard to people who ask "have you ever seen anyone who is perfect"?: We don't ask this to excuse ourselves but to be real and honest in serious life. We are trying to make religion effective, not just pie-in-the-sky with words. We are asking, is it true that someone can become perfect? Or will we always need the cloak of Christ?

If someone says, "You can jump up on that cloud up there and ride it, if you just jump with all your might", the natural thing is to ask if anyone has ever done it. It is the mark of an insane person who insists he can do anything if he just pays attention to his own doing, such as fly like superman if he jumps off a high building. So, "Show me" is a realistic question to ask. You say we can become perfect in our lifespan, so show me, that I can believe I can save myself and won't need the Grace of Christ if only I live long enough,try hard enough, and become equal to Him.

All I have to say is not in any way to get out of trying hard to do right. It isn't because I have no self discipline or love for God and His Kingdom. It comes from honesty with human nature and my own nature. The grace of Jesus is there to cover us while we strive to make our characters right, as long as it takes.

Some of you don't seem to have so far to go, so much to do. If you had a rosary it would be full of beads to represent all the good deeds and attainments you've done. You don't need Jesus anymore to help you do right. You won't need Jesus to represent you in the last days, because you never do anything wrong anymore.

But I do feel that no matter how hard i try, I'm far from perfect, and I don't see any place in the Bible that says I will outgrow my need for Grace if I just keep on trucking as hard as I can go. When Paul says "I have finished the race, and have kept the faith" I think he meant that he did his best and kept his relationship with God even if he wasn't absolutely perfect even to his death.

It isn't that we CAN'T be perfect with perfect connection with Christ at every moment of life...It's that we DON'T maintain the perfect connection, with our weak, debased human nature. I think that's where the rub really is in this debate. Paul is the one who said "The good that I would, I do not:but the evil that I would not, that I do. Romans 7:19. This part of Romans explains so clearly the relation between sinning and need of Christ to cover and help the sinner all the way. Maybe we should all just go read Romans, instead of arguing endlessly here. In fact, I'm going to do just that!

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12701
03/08/05 03:37 AM
03/08/05 03:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It's God's job to perfect us. It's not something we accomplish by our effort, but something God does -- if we do not interpose a perverse will and thus frustrate His grace.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12702
03/08/05 04:18 AM
03/08/05 04:18 AM
Larry Kirkpatrick  Offline
Pastor
Veteran Member
Highland, CA, USA
When the Bible says that the heart is deceitful above all things, who can know it, it is dishonest or at least not thought through to ask someone if they are perfect or if they know anyone who is perfect. God alone can read the heart. If one says yes, I am perfect, they deny the biblical statement warning of the frailty of human perception, thus denying God's Word, thus denying Christ. If they answer they know of no one who is perfect they are comparing themselves with others, and we are only to compare self with Christ. Again, God alone knows the hearts. An affirmative answer is a denial of God's word and of Him.

It is again asserted that some of us think we are close to perfection or perfect or that we don't need or won't need Christ. If these kinds of things are going to be said, I ask that they be backed up. Surely you must be able to name at least one person who has said these things or you woul not have mentioned it. Would you please describe a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church who has done this and give their exact words? Or maybe it is someone here on the forum, who has said that they will eventually not need Christ or that have made the claim that they are perfect. Please identify this person. The posts I reviewed showed no such thing.

It would be a sad thing to give up on an idea because one doesn't like the word. Like the word "perfection." There is a biblical teaching on this and each of us will be kept accountable for how we deal with it. We may or may not like the word itself, but we will be accountable for it. For some, their rejection of the idea of perfection is just a form of idea idolatry. The New Testament charge is, "Keep yourself from idols." Limiting God is a form of self-idolatry. Let's not do that. Again, demanding evidence is faithlessness. The New tetsament urges us to walk by faith and not by sight. When you insist on evidence, you ask us to walk by sight and not by faith. These are bad recipes. To accuse the church of switcheroos and this kind of nonsense is also to evily surmise. There is sad fruit on the tree of unbelief. What are you reading or listening to that has led you to this belief system?

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12703
03/08/05 04:24 AM
03/08/05 04:24 AM
M
myarsman  Offline
North Carolina
1John 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12704
03/09/05 04:21 AM
03/09/05 04:21 AM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK

DenBorg, I agree with your assessment on the legalistic mindset—well said. I even agree in general with what you said about misplaced focus. Except: ... You should probably not assume that all who ask questions like “is anyone there yet?” that the question seeks to imply that it is not possible.

quote: Jeff

Thank-you Jeff. Your comments are right on target.

I am sorry I was not more clear, but I was not applying my comments to everyone who asks those questions, but rather to those who always asks those questions in response to the idea of living without sinning anymore.

And remember I said I was not directing my comments at anyone in particular, but was making these comments because of discussions I've witnessed and discussions I've participated in, both online and offline, over the past decade, mostly on other message boards but also a little here, where certain people always responds negatively to the idea of victorious living in Christ.

Some people asks if it is possible because they never thought about it before, and they are sincere in their question.

Other people, such as yourself Jeff, ask to make a different point such as would someone claim or boast about it. (though your implied abstration was not initially apparent, not to me anyway)

Then there are others who always asks, "Show me one person who is perfect" or "Are you perfect" only as an attempt to disprove the possibility, or should I say God's promise. And in every such case, they remove God from the equasion: Have you achieved it yet?!; How hard are you working to be perfect?! Instead of rejoicing in Christ, they remove Him from the picture and try to prove how sinful everyone else is and how therefore it is impossible to go and sin no more. This is further evidence of their misplaced focus.

It was this last group to whom I was applying my comments.

I cringe sometimes when I see the question of perfection raised in forums like this, as it has the potential to evolve into a spitting contest between the most conservative and most liberal posters. Thankfully, that has not yet happened on this thread. Still it is a question that we should discuss, but with due diligence to sensitivities on the issue.

quote: Jeff

I share your sentiments, Jeff. And I think most, if not all, of us need to reminded from time to time to be diligent to sensitivities.

Thank you for your comments.

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!