HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y), 2,288 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12735
03/10/05 11:06 PM
03/10/05 11:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
The problem here is UNBELIEF, which then leads to legalism if the person desires to obtain God's love/favor. Believe it or not, there are some people who do not want God's love or favor, sad to say. Some people actually hate God, and could not care less about His love and favor. Sadly, some just want to finish their life here on earth, and then just die.
Well this is an interesting point I hadn't thought of, that is, those who are unbelievers and hate God. I suspect, however, even these (and atheists as well) deep down have a warped view of God in mind, which leads them to think they must do something to earn His favor. Romans 1 says all are without excuse because God has made Himself known to all, so I think I'll stick with me original view that all are legalists (although few recognize this).

"It's extremely difficult to accept the fact that God just loves, period." (Tom)

quote:
Extremely difficult to accept? Yes. But impossible to accept? No.

I don't think it safe to assume that no one in all of humanity has accepted the fact that God just loves us period. Different people grapple with that concept to differing degrees. Some people have accepted it; others haven't.

Well I suppose in the same way one could say it's possible someone (other than Christ) has lived perfectly. That is, I would say it's about as likely that someone is not in any way legalistic. It's far easier to be legalistic than most people think!

I've known some people who have communicated the Gospel very beautifully, but if you were to ask them if they had any legalism, they would unqualfiedly respond "yes." Again I suppose it's a similar question to asking someone if they're perfect. No one can answer the question "yes" without disqualifying themselves.

However, I will say that the 144,000 will not be legalists. They will have learned to love, growing into the full statue of Christ. And we certainly have the privilege to be on this trek!

quote:
But just because God loves us period, that does not therefore mean that He is not pleased when we obey or do what is right, and that He is displeased when we do evil. Some people may be frustrated with a problem sin in their life because they know it displeases and hurts God, not because they're afraid God does not love them anymore.
Refraining from sin because it displeases and hurts God is certainly following much more with the Spirit of Christ than being afraid that God does not love them, which thought smacks of egocentrism. However, legalism is a very subtle thing.

It sounds like we can agree that:
1) Legalism is very subtle, and more rampant than many think.
2) The solution is to believe and appreciate God's love, and recognize that we cannot gain God's favor on the basis of what we do or refrain from doing.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12736
03/10/05 11:16 PM
03/10/05 11:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Since everybody is interested in my opinion, I'll give it. When I was reading through the post's regarding Restin, my immediate response was that the comments were very sharp and personal in nature. I chose not to comment on it, but have joined in since others have commented on it.

I gave an approach which has worked pretty well for me. Mike and I have been around on this, and he has been kind enough to abide almost 100% to what I have suggested. He used to say things like, "This is wrong." "You are way out of line" and so on. (I hope he doesn't mind my picking on him.) I suggested that these comments are much less abrasive when prefaced by something mitigating them, such as "in my opinion" or "as I see thinigs", or "it appears to me." With these magic words, you can say just about anything -- e.g. "in my opinion, you are an idiot!"

I making the point in jest, but it's a serious point. Jeff is correct. We are reading things and don't have the benefit of tone of voice, so it behooves us to tone down our rhetoric at least 1 notch, and probably 3 or 4 would be better, as things which are written may come across much stronger than spoken.

I want to thank Mike for having been much more charitable in his remarks, which has made the dialogs I have had with him much more pleasant.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12737
03/11/05 03:18 AM
03/11/05 03:18 AM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Ewall:
Well I suppose in the same way one could say it's possible someone (other than Christ) has lived perfectly.

If one believes the Word of God, I don't think one could say that. It is written, "For all have sinned..."

Later on in your comment, you expressed a belief that the 144,000 won't be legalistic. Personally, I don't think God holds back His power from everyone to overcome sin except for Christ and for the 144,000; I believe He makes His power and abiding presense available to all who would have it. Therefore, I don't believe, as do some, that it is necessary or a given that we must continue to sin; especially in light of multiple scriptures that instruct us to turn away from sin.

It seems that you and I have a good deal of common ground in agreement. [Smile]

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12738
03/11/05 03:44 AM
03/11/05 03:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I must be having a bad day as far as lack of clarity is concerned. Not just here, but everywhere it seems I'm saying things very clearly. Well, I've slept poorly and had a headache, so maybe that explains it.

When I said, "Well I suppose in the same way one could say it's possible someone (other than Christ) has lived perfectly." I didn't mean lived their whole perfectly put was using the subjective to refer to someone living perfectly now. That's probably not very clear either. Let me try it another way.

In the same way one could say that no one now is living perfectly without sin (as one could ask, show me such a person), one could also say no one now is total non-legalistic. It's theoretically possible that such a person exists, but it's doubtful anyone has seen such a one.

Regarding overcoming sin and the 144,000, the issue is not that God holds back power, but that victory is dependent on light. For example, before the light on the Sabbath was known, there were those who were following Christ to the best of their ability who were nonetheless sinning in an absolute sense (a sense which would require Christ's ministration in the MHP). In order for sin to be brought to an end, it is necessary that there be more light.

God began to give this light in 1888 -- light which would fill the earth with glory, light which was the beginning of the latter rain -- but that light was resisted. Until that light is given, not just the beginning of the latter rain, but it's fullness, it doesn't matter how much one tries, one will not be able to absolutely overcome sin (I'm not just talking about known sin here, but any sin, which would require the continued presenece of Christ as MHP).

It's not just a matter of individual disposition, but there is a corporate element as well. We are all one body, and the victory of the foot, for example, depends on the cooperation of the eye.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12739
03/11/05 03:59 AM
03/11/05 03:59 AM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
As to what happened earlier, I for one truly don't care to hear anything more about it.

While many have made very valid points concerning tone of voice, etc and they are well taken, it seems everyone is more concerned with their misunderstanding and misperception of my comments than they are of the blatant putting-of-words in another's mouth and the pursuant hostility towards those words that were never "spoken". Somehow I can't help but believe that if I were the one who put words in someone else's mouth, it would not have gone overlooked.

So if it is just the same to you all, I agree with Larry and consider the matter closed, and would prefer not to talk about it any further. Thank you.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12740
03/11/05 04:03 AM
03/11/05 04:03 AM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Ewall:
I must be having a bad day as far as lack of clarity is concerned. Not just here, but everywhere it seems I'm saying things very clearly. Well, I've slept poorly and had a headache, so maybe that explains it.

When I said, "Well I suppose in the same way one could say it's possible someone (other than Christ) has lived perfectly." I didn't mean lived their whole perfectly put was using the subjective to refer to someone living perfectly now. That's probably not very clear either. Let me try it another way.

This clarification was clear; I understand waht you mean here and agree with you.

You're not the only one going through a bad spell of being misunderstood. [Cool] [Smile] Hopefully it will quickly pass for us.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12741
03/12/05 04:37 AM
03/12/05 04:37 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
quote:
Originally posted by DenBorg:
So if it is just the same to you all, I agree with Larry and consider the matter closed, and would prefer not to talk about it any further. Thank you.

I agree that more than enough has been said about this, therefore, let us focus on the topic.

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12742
03/11/05 06:48 PM
03/11/05 06:48 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I believe that through Christ He will hand us the victory over our sins. I have issues with how the title of the topic is phrased since it will naturally lead to "known or unknown defective traits", then this leads to the "light of God revealing all" and some will say that "it is the work of a lifetime", others will say "its at once" etc etc.. been down this road way too many times. I know the script by memory.
Lok at all the people that Jesus chose.. Let see we have a racist as one of the 12, an adulterer,murderer,drunk,incesteous relations, traitors and even one who denied him, and all 12 left running, and fell asleep.. Yes very astute and troopers they were. All happening by God's chosen people.
My point here is that these men had been in the very presence of God, and have seen the Father in Jesus Christ the Son of God who dwelt among men, so their work was over a lifetime..
God Bless,
Will

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12743
03/12/05 05:51 PM
03/12/05 05:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Everybody believes perfection is possible. Even Restin. It's just that not everybody agrees as to when it happens. Some people believe it won't happen until after Jesus returns, some believe it happens gradually, and others believe it happens the moment we're born again.

The problem with believing it happens gradually is the example of Jesus. What do we do with His example? Jesus did not overcome sinful traits of character by outgrowing them one at a time over the course of a lifetime. In fact, Jesus started off without any defective traits of character. He successfully resisted the unholy thoughts and feelings generated and communicated by His sinful, fallen, human nature, therefore, He never developed a bad character trait that had to be confessed and crucified.

Jesus lived His life like a born again believer. He is not an example of someone who refuses to obey the word of God, or who cannot seem to kick a bad habit, or who gradually overcomes lesser character imperfections. Instead, the example of Jesus is a demonstration of what life is like when born again believers are connected to the Father, when they continue to partake of the divine nature.

In order for born again believers to imitate the example of Jesus they must first crucify their old man habits of sin, their defective traits of character. Once their old man is dead and buried, they can receive the sinless seed or mind of the new man, which in turn enables them to partake of the divine nature, which then empowers them to imitate the holy example of Jesus.

Born again believers cannot imitate the example of Jesus if they have unknown or unconquered defective traits of character to overcome. Remember, a trait of character, whether good or bad, is the result of yielding repeatedly to the influence of God or Satan. As such, there is no such thing as an unknown trait of character. Since there is no sinful trait or temptation too difficult, in Christ, to resist, the mere existence of an unconquered fallen trait, therefore, is actually nothing more than a cherished sin.

What becomes of a confessed, crucified and conquered fallen trait of character? Is it something that will never tempt us again? Once dead and buried are we impervious to future temptations related to it? Just because we are tempted by it again does that mean we haven't actually overcome it?

Re: It is impossible to completely overcome before Jesus returns! #12744
03/12/05 08:17 PM
03/12/05 08:17 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
"Everybody believes perfection is possible."

But everybody has a different idea as to what perfection is, and how and when it is accomplished. So everybody judges the success or failure of it, according to the idea of perfection they have.

The most common concept of perfection is absence of flaw; inability to improve upon. Naturally where you have such perfection, there is no need for: mercy, grace, longsuffering, patience, etc.; all of which are virtues of God's character. What does that tell us about that kind of perfection?

Perfection in God's sight however is the fullness of: mercy, grace, longsuffering, forgiveness, goodness, patience...; all of the characteristics that are there to deal with imperfection. He wants us to be full of his spirit, of which the fruits are: mercy, grace, longsuffering, forgiveness, goodness, patience...! Is that our concept of perfection?

Let us see with God's judgement/love today, so that when we meet him, we may be as he is. In this manner we are overcomers over all sin and temptation.

Shalom

Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!